A Not-So-Happy Birthday

A TRADE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 1

A Not-So-Happy Birthday

 

The crisp sounds of burning wood can be slightly heard inside a small room of the mansion. The room was dark, with only the light coming from the flames in the fireplace and the radiance from the moonlight that peaked from the thin openings of the curtains. A young man is seen in front of the fireplace, staring at the endless dance of flames—as if it was the most interesting thing in the world for him at the moment.

"Young Master Yonghwa, today's the day." An elderly man entered the room, standing a few steps beside his master, reminding him of what's important today.

Jung Yonghwa, the 22-year-old man sitting on his favourite couch in front of the bed of coals, nodded fully understanding what his butler meant. "Thank you, Jaesuk. But I don't plan on giving any instructions today since I'm not the one who made the deal with the Seo, for I am only a victim of it as well. If you have any questions, please ask my father about it." He said without taking his eyes away from the flames.

"Understood," And Jaesuk, the butler, left the room to give back his master's privacy.

Yonghwa leaned back against his couch, running a hand through his soft dark hair and sighed.

"This is going to be a long night."

 

 

"I can't believe you're turning 20 already, Seohyun-ah!" A wavy-brown-haired girl cheered as she gave her cousin a big hug.

"Me too," Her cousin, Seohyun said as she returned the hug.

Seo Joohyun, or usually called Seohyun, the soon-to-be 20-year-old young lady is the current and only heiress of the Seo family fortune. Their family has been known to be successful in the fields of toy making and bright innovations, and the only daughter is hoping to expand their business by adding fashion designing on their list. Many were curious as to how their success and wealth started out; some said it was just great luck and that they won the lottery while others went crazy on how they managed to find a hidden treasure somewhere. There were different types of stories regarding their fortune, but no one was able to guess it right.

And until now, Seo Jihye, head of the Seo Corp. and Seohyun's mother, never told details of how they ended up rich and grand. She would only say what everyone would say: determination, hard work and luck.

Both cousins are now in Seohyun's bedroom, getting ready for the small get together the Seo mansion has prepared for the heiress. Unlike all of Seohyun 's parties, this was a bit more reserved and exclusive that only relatives and close friends are invited—a maximum of only 20 people are invited.

"Isn't it kind of weird though that your mother has only prepared a small party? I mean, you usually have 150 people over with grand decorations and such." Seohyun 's cousin, Im Yoona, asked as she helped Seohyun fix her hair. She had hair pins on which refrained her from speaking clearly but Seohyun still understood what she said.

The black-haired girl shrugged. "I don't really mind though. It's a nice change, actually. After all, it's so much better than having to attend to all 150 guests, some of which I don't even know." She said and placed light eye shadow over her eyelids.

"That's true," Yoona agreed and pinned a part of her cousin's hair to keep it nice and tidy.

"The thing that's weird is that you're the one grooming me when most of the time, it's me who fixes your hair and clothes." Seohyun giggled and Yoona a joined in after.

It was already 5:30 in the afternoon and guests will already arrive an hour after. The birthday celebrant was wearing a white glittery gown with a diamond studded necklace and bracelet, while Yoona was wearing a tight apple green dress that reached up to her knees and black pumps. Both girls continued to fix themselves in a comfortable manner since they still have time left before going down and greet the guests.

"Although," Seohyun said. "I can't help but feel really nervous, you know?" She added.

Yoona just looked at her and said, "Well, isn't it normal since it's your party?"

Seohyun shook her head. "It's a different kind of nervous and anxiety, like something bad is going to happen." She said, tremor hidden in her voice.

 

 

"Good evening,"

"It's finally nice to see you again after so long!"

"Happy birthday, Seohyun!"

Greetings and people started to enter the Seo mansion, signalling the start of the small reunion. Guests gave their gifts and grabbed the offered champagne by the butlers and maids. Though it wasn't that big of a party, it was still grand with a bit of professional atmosphere.

"Thank you everyone for coming to my party!" Seohyun said when she finally called the attention of her friends and family.

Hours passed and everything went by smoothly. Yoona disappeared off to somewhere around the mansion with her Busan boyfriend Lee Jonghyun; Kyuhyun, Yoona's older brother, was chatting with some of the relatives as well as their father, Taehwan. Everyone seems to be having a good time which pleased Seohyun.

"Hey Seohyun," Three of her closest friends and noonas approached her: Taeyeon, Tiffany and Hyoyeon.

"Happy birthday!" They greeted her simultaneously, each taking their turn for a hug.

"Thank you," Seohyun said, returning their hugs.

"I hope you like our presents!" Taeyeon said after her turn.

"I always do." Seohyun smiled.

The four of them chatted for a moment, until a young man with blonde hair approached them, wanting to greet the birthday celebrant as well.

"Seohyun-ssi," The man greeted. "Happy birthday."

"Luhan, thank you very much. Please do call me Seohyun instead, we're friends after all." Seohyun said to which the man agreed. "Okay Seohyun" And she nodded. They exchanged for a few words until the guy left, leaving the girls alone again.

"Hey, he's hot. You two would look good together!" Tiffany whistled when the man already left. This just made the other girls laugh and tease.

"What, Nickhun's not too good for you now?" Hyoyon teased which made Tiffany join in the laugh.

"Of course my Nickhun 's the best! But it doesn't hurt to get yourself some eye candy once in awhile, right?" She said which just made them laugh louder.

"But I did hear that that Luhan guy did try to make a move on you, Seohyun." Taeyeon said and took a sip of her champagne.

"Oh really? So what happened?" Tiffany asked.

"Well," A faint blush was present on Seohyun 's cheeks. "He's a nice person and all, but I just don't feel anything special whenever I'm with him, you know? I mean I know he'll do great for our company but I think we'll be just great when we're friends." She explained.

"Wow, 20 long years of being single and never having a boyfriend. How do you do it, Seohyun?" Hyoyeon asked.

Seohyun just shrugged. "I just got used to it, I guess. And my mother was a bit strict and quite against me having a boyfriend anyway but she still is open to the idea of having suitors." She said and took a sip of her champagne.

"I can understand why she's strict: You're the one and only Seo’s daughter and heiress anyway." Tiffany said and the others nodde

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter