Pt. 5: Red Café

What He'll Never Have

 

What He’ll Never Have

Part Five: Red Café

 

* * *

 

 

“Here you go: large, iced, triple-shot espresso with three pumps vanilla, three pumps toffee nut. With extra whip.” 

 

I stared in awe at the massive drink that slid across the coffee bar towards me. The drink was easily 500 calories. It looked delicious. I almost groaned as my traitorous hand immediately latched onto it, stirring and examining it’s contents before pulling the straw into my mouth. SO GOOD! I could die right there and be just fine with it. A laugh echoed up in front of me. 

 

“Well you look happy. Should I give you some privacy while you make out with that?” My eyes darted back up to Baekhyun, who currently stood behind the coffee bar pouring steamed milk into a red cup for someone else’s drink order, and laughing at me. I blushed crimson, spitting the straw back out of my mouth and wiping away some stray whip cream that landed on my chin. 

 

“Sorry. It’s just been so long since I had anything this delicious.” I admitted, reluctantly stirring the straw so I didn’t guzzle the whole thing right away. Baekhyun nodded understandingly. 

 

“Strict diet?” I nodded. 

 

“Yeah, my ‘get buff quick’ regime didn’t quite allow for a lot of...” I gestured towards the cold treat, unsure of what to call it. “...gloriousness.” Again he laughed. It was a light sound, airy and short and it was quickly turning into one of my favorite things.

 

“Well now that you’ve succeeded in your ‘buff dude’ scheme, perhaps you could have some cheat days and pay me a visit here. I’ll fix you up some ‘gloriousness’ as you call it, free of charge.” I more of the sweet beverage into my mouth to hide the smile that would’ve otherwise spread across my face. 

 

...pay me a visit here... 

 

He was inviting me back. Did that classify as flirting? Or at least insinuating? I’m pretty sure it did. 

 

The two of us had been together for a grand total of three hours between the spare in the library and time spent at the Red Cafe. Though slightly awkward at first, I had broken the ice with my honesty about my intentions to stand up to Chanyeol, and since then the conversation had been fluid. Baekhyun was easy to talk to. A quality I found incredibly relieving (and attractive) considering I never really interacted with people outside of Xiumin, Sehun, and my family. I was actually enjoying myself and in some moments forgot completely that I was supposed to be seducing the boy. 

 

My eyes roamed over his broad back and shoulders as he placed some freshly washed coffee mugs on the shelf across from me. He was now wearing a fitted black button-up with sleeves rolled to the three-quarter mark, tucked into black slacks that, though they were the least form-fitting pants I had seen him in, still did plenty to show off his perfectly round . As far as boys went, I was convinced he was the prettiest I had ever seen. Heck, even most of the girls in our school would have trouble measuring up to Baekhyun. There was just something about the way he carried himself... all confidence and sass... like he knew how good looking he was and was just waiting for the rest of the world to catch up. It was magnetizing. 

 

And if that wasn’t enough, the baby-doe eyes that constantly held a mixture of mirth and defiance, accentuated by the tiniest hint of smokey eyeliner around the rims, definitely were. Then there was the hair, painted in a shade of platinum I couldn’t have imagined anyone pulling off. But he did. Incredibly well, in fact. And lips, plump and pink-

 

“Won’t your friends be wondering where you are?” I blinked, realizing I was openly staring at him, and that my drink was nothing more than ice cubes. Oops

 

“No,” I shook my head, pushing the empty glass away from myself. “I sent them a text as we left that I was hanging out with you. He snatched the glass, gracefully dropping it into the washing machine behind the bar as he prepped another glass. 

 

“Really?” He looked surprised. “You told them you were with me?” 

 

“Yeah...?” I hedged, unsure if I for some reason shouldn’t have. “Is that okay?” 

 

“Oh, yeah.” He nodded, smiling slightly. “I’m just surprised is all. Most guys don’t like to admit when they’re with me, what with my reputation and all.” I felt myself tense. 

 

People do that? How utterly demeaning. 

 

“Why?” I asked though the answer was somewhat obvious; I needed to find out for sure how much of what I had heard about him was true. For all I knew, he wasn’t even gay. He glanced at me, pausing from the drink he was making to check if I was being sarcastic or not. 

 

“Seriously?” 

 

I nodded. 

 

“I’m gay. That freaks most guys out... I thought everyone knew that.” So he is... I shrugged.

 

“I don’t see why that would stop anyone from hanging out with you...” I let the phrase linger, contemplating my next move. I decided to go for it. “So am I.” Something clattered loudly on the floor and I glanced over at him. His eyes were blown wide, staring at me. I frowned. What the-?

 

“.” The boy exclaimed, bending down to scoop up the metal thermometer he had dropped. 

 

“Are you okay?” He nodded, looking only at the drink as he grabbed a new thermometer and went back to pouring foam. “Is it really that surprising that I’m gay?” I ventured, hoping at least an ounce of what I said sounded believable. The word ‘gay’ sounded weird on my tongue. I had never used it before in reference to really anyone, but certainly not myself. 

 

“Yes actually it is,” he finally answered, still not looking at me. “You don’t come across that way.” Thank goodness, I inwardly laughed to myself, externally shrugging. 

 

“I’ve been told that before but it’s true. I’ve never been attracted to a girl.” Except Park Ji-yeon. I hoped my statement didn’t sound as far fetched as it felt. 

 

“So then what’s your type?” My type, I was stumped. Xiumin, Sehun, and I had never talked about what I should say if that question got asked. My type... an image of platinum, tasseled hair popped into my mind then. 

 

“I don’t really know,” I answered honestly. “More boyish than big, muscled idiots but not weak either. I think I care a lot more about personality than looks.” My thumbs drummed against the counter as I waited to see if my answer was good enough. Baekhyun looked thoughtful, and perhaps just a little bit happy at my answer. Good. It appeared he bought it. Now it was my turn. “What about you? What’s your type?” 

 

Baekhyun looked at me, almost as if he were seeing through me. It was slightly uncomfortable.

 

“Intelligent, kind, dark hair, and y eyes.” He listed off point-blank as if he were reading a menu for a Red Cafe patron, before turning and walking to the other side of the bar where a couple had just entered. “Hi, how are you today?” he greeted. It left me feeling some sort of emotional whiplash, my brain scurrying to remember what exactly he had said. 

 

Intelligent... kind... dark hair... and... what was the other one? y eyes? Or ? 

 

I couldn’t remember, but something had lodged itself inside my chest making it difficult to breathe. Somehow the way he had said it I felt as if he were talking to me about me. But that wasn’t possible was it? We had only known each other for three hours. My phone vibrated in my pant pocket, drawing me from my thoughts. I tugged it out, seeing that it was from Sehun. 

 

‘How’s it going? He fallen for you yet?’

 

I stared at it, bewildered for a moment before checking to make sure Baekhyun was still busy with the couple. He was. I quickly typed out an answer and hit send before returning it to my pocket, and smiling unsuspiciously at Baekhyun when he glanced my way.

 

‘Yeah actually. I think so.’

 

 

* * *

 

 

What He’ll Never Have

Part Five Completed. 

Subscribe. Comment. Upvote.