Chapter 4: The Audition

Don't Judge Sweet & Sour

          Maia had been secretly training for weeks, thanks to her YG sunbaenims. Once she told T.O.P. about her plan, word got around and everyone began piling in with their support. Lee Hi helped train her vocally, offering her a few tips and tricks. Taeyang joined in and helped her work on her dance choreography and freestyle. T.O.P. and G.D. trained her to do some rapping if need be as well. Seungri and Daesung instructed her on finding her miscellaneous talents to stand out and be considered a rising variety chip. Maia was deeply touched by all of their efforts; she didn't want to let any of them down. She practiced as much as she could while avoiding her father's watchful eye. Everyone in the company knew he disapproved adamantly, so they were cautious as well. Sometimes they would keep on the look-out while she was practicing and cover for her when they could.

           And finally, it was the big day. Maia packed her bags; she knew after the audition she would need to sleep over Se Jeong's place for a few days. She had already informed her dad of this and that was part of her cover up. She hummed as she made her way down the stairs with a small luggage in hand, only to be met by her father in front of the door.

           "Dad?" Maia asked timidly, a bad feeling rising in her stomach.

           "So, when were you going to tell me about auditioning?" He got right to the point.

           Maia gulped, her palms sweating.

           "Dad, can we talk about this later? I'm going to be late. At least let me try!"

           "Absolutely not. You know how I feel about this and even worse, you made me into a fool in my own workplace? Sneaking around, getting the others to help you? Everyone working together to deceive me? Did you think I would be HAPPY about that?"

           "No! Dad, I just knew you wouldn't even let me try!" Maia raised her voice.

           "And you're not going to! You're staying right in your room until the end of the day. You're going to miss that audition and you're going to never think about it again!" he yelled.

           "WHY DO YOU HATE IT SO MUCH?" Maia burst into tears and yelled.

           "DO NOT SPEAK TO ME THAT WAY YOUNG LADY!"        

           "I'M NOT A KID ANYMORE. THIS IS MY DREAM!"

           "Dream something else. Something more practical!"

           "THEN IT'S NOT A DREAM!"

           "Up to your room, Lee Maia."

           "NO!"

           "I said GO!" He threw her luggage over his shoulder and roughly gripped her arm, dragging her up the stairs.

           Maia thrashed about, trying to get away from his hold. This wasn't happening. This wasn't going to end like this. She needed to make this audition. Everyone worked so hard for her these past few weeks. It couldn't end before it started. She wailed, kicked, and screamed but her dad was strong. He had to be for his job after all, keeping back crazed fans from one of the top idol groups in the business.

           "DAD LET ME DO IT! PLEASE! I NEED TO SEE IF I CAN DO IT FOR MYSELF!"

           "No, Maia. I've told you this since you were little. Anything but being an idol!"

           "WHY?!"

           "CAUSE THEN IT'D BE POINTLESS FOR YOUR MOM TO HAVE LEFT US!" he yelled back.

           Maia hiccupped, surprised at finally getting a straight answer.

           "Dad..." she muttered.

           He threw her and her luggage into the room.

           "If you still intend to audition through any means necessary, like sneaking out, I never want to see you in this house again." He stated dangerously.

           Finally, he slammed the door and locked it from the outside. Maia heard him move furniture to block her doorway as well.

           She wept on her bed out of frustration. What was she going to do? She was going to miss it. Everything was going to be pointless and worthless.

           Suddenly as if someone had heard her thoughts, she received a call.

           "Mom!" she breathed as she answered the phone.

           "Honey...T.O.P. told me your dad found out about you auditioning. He was afraid you'd be in trouble." she cooed.

           Maia burst into tears again.

           "Honey, what happened?"

           "I'm locked in my room. I can't get out. I'm going to be late, and I'm so emotional, I'm probably going to do horribly."

           "Maia." her mother spoke sternly. "Are you serious about pursuing this?"

           "I always have been."

           She could hear her mom giggle through the phone. "Thank goodness."

           Maia smiled sadly.

           "Listen to me, sweetie. You're going to fight, got it? You're going to fight to get out of that house then even if you're late, you're going to fight to be given a chance. You're going to use those emotions to stun everyone, you hear me?"

           "But Dad says he'll never see me again if I sneak out."

           "Oh don't worry. He said the same thing to me and I'm doing just fine." her mom cackled.

           "Mom!" Maia groaned.

           "Mai, your father has always been stubborn and he pushes everyone away when things don't go his way. You can't live under his control forever. You need to live your life and that starts today."

           Maia wiped her tears, knowing her mom was right.

           "Luckily, I have my apartment in Seoul still and you know the pass-code right?" her mom giggled. "I kept it for you. I know you've wanted to move out. And I'll wire you money. Don't worry about paying the bills. I got you from here."

           Maia smiled. "I miss you Mom."

           "I miss you too, sweetheart. And I'm proud of you for standing up and chasing your dream."

           "Thank you for believing in me." Maia closed her eyes, taking in her mom's voice.

           "Always, love. I always have since you were little."

           "I love you."

           "I love you too. Now go get them, honey! Knock their socks off!" her mom cheered.

           Maia grinned. "I will."

           "Woohoo!" her mom bellowed and hung up.

           With renewed vigor, Maia ran to her window and looked down, smiling to herself. It was going to be a new beginning for her.

~

           "Lee Maia." Bang PD called out.

           The other trainees looked around, surprised someone didn't show up. Jungkook looked up from his doodles. Was it the same Lee Maia or was it someone else?

           "Hyung, can I see her resume?" he leaned over and nudged Jin who was another judge of the auditions.

           "Lee Maia?" Bang PD bellowed again. "No? Okay, well I think that's a wr--"

           "Wait!" Maia burst through the doors. "I'm Lee Maia! I'm here!"

           She huffed, trying to catch her breath.

           "Did you run here?" 2AM's Changmin, the third guest judge, questioned.

           "Uh yes...yes I did." Maia scratched her head shyly.

           Jungkook's eyes widened. Without a doubt, that face, that voice. It was her. But why was she here?

           "I'm sorry but we called your name twice and you were late. We can't audition you."

           "Please, just listen. I worked so hard on this!" she pleaded. She needed this chance.

           "I'm sorry. But we don't condone tardiness. Everyone else came on time and earlier as planned. Everyone worked hard." another staff member commented. "Everyone has busy schedules. The three guest judges are busy idols."

           Maia felt tears forming. She didn't know what else to say.

           "I want to hear her." Jungkook spoke up, shocking everyone in the room. "We planned to be here for another hour anyway."

           He looked around awkwardly, feeling all eyes on him. As surprised as Jin was, he knew it was a big deal for Jungkook to speak up to defend someone so he joined in.

           "I agree, the flyer did say that auditions would last until noon, so she's technically not late." Jin nodded.

           "Her resume surely is unique as well." Changmin chimed along.

           The PDs fidgeted, unsettled.

           "Well go on." the CEO spoke, amused. "It seems my staff has been outsmarted by its own idols. Please show us something worthwhile."

           Maia exhaled, giving a grateful look towards Jungkook who was busy scribbling random things on his paper, embarrassed.

           "But since you were late, show us only one of your audition pieces." the CEO stated. "We must make it fair to those who were on time."

           Maia nodded, "I understand. I'll choose to sing then."

           "Very well." the CEO gestured to the staff member working the audio. Maia exhaled as she handed the staff member her Ipod with the track for her song.

           "I'll be singing 'Because I'm a Girl' by IU sunbaenim." she closed her eyes as the music began playing.

           "Before my eyes start to overflow with tears, don't say anything, just turn around and leave."

           Jungkook froze and looked up as she began singing. Her voice was absolutely mesmerizing. Changmin and Jin glanced at each other wide-eyed. Even the CEO and PDs were impressed, not taking their eyes off of her small figure.

            Maia put every emotion she had built up into her song like her mother advised. This was her moment. For once, she wanted to do something towards her dream. This was her first step and she was going to give it her all.

           The other trainees sniffled and Se Jeong clutched her chest, extremely proud of her best friend overcoming so much. Her voice carried all her conflicting emotions throughout the years and the hope of the years to come. She effortlessly reached the high notes without falter, bundled up with the appropriate emotions. When she ended the song, she looked down, willing her tears not to fall down. There was silence and she was terrified to look up. She had been so into the performance; she couldn't remember how she sounded like.

           "Wahhh!" Jin breathed and stood up, clapping excitedly.

           The other trainees began clapping as well, murmuring worriedly to each other. Jungkook sat there with his mouth agape and eyes wide. This girl was fantastic.

           "I must say we underestimated you." the CEO smiled. "However, as talented as you are, we can't offer you a spot because of your tardiness. We need to know you want to be here and that wasn't a good first impression. Now, the auditions are over. Thank you everyone and we'll be posting the list of those who made it outside our company tomorrow morning."

           Everyone began getting up and heading out the door, excitedly chatting away. Maia stood where she was, unable to take her defeat.

           "Maia..." Se Jeong whispered as she watched her friend clench her fist in the middle of the room.

           "I want to be here. I want to become an idol. And I have what it takes and I work hard in everything that I do. I promise! I'll do anything to prove it to you!" Maia stated, finally looking up with fiery determination.            

           With that look, Manager Sejin immediately recognized her as the one who had slapped Yoongi across the face a few weeks back. He briefly looked through her resume again. He then whispered to the CEO to take a look at her experience. The CEO curiously followed his suggestion as the room cleared out.

           "You've been a manager, coordi, and stylist at YG?" he spoke.

           "Since I was young, sir. I basically was born in the dressing room."

           "Hmmm... tell you what Miss Lee. I have an offer for you." the CEO intertwined his fingers together. "We're in need of someone to fill in all three of these positions and take care of someone who has been out of hand lately. And it just so happens you are more than qualified to be that person."

           "CEO..." Jin and Jungkook realized what he was about to say.

           "IF you last a full year as a manager, stylist, and coordi here and do an excellent job, then Big Hit will debut you immediately."

           "Wh-what?" Maia stammered.

           "You did say you'll do anything to prove you have what it takes." the CEO grinned. "Did I hear you incorrectly?"

           Maia clenched her fist tighter. She wasn't going to back down without a fight. She had already come too far. She needed to get in and prove to her dad and herself that she could do it.

           "I'll need access to a place I can practice then." she retorted.

           "Hm?"

           "Did you want me to get rusty in a year?" Maia raised her eyebrow. "Or was that part of your plan to give me the short end of the stick?"

           The CEO laughed, "I like you, Maia. You've got edge. I think you'll definitely be a challenge for Yoongi, plus you have incentive to stay. Mhm this is good. State your terms for this deal."

           "Access to the dance practice room and a singing studio." Maia counted.

           "ONLY after workshops and lessons are over. None of the other trainees can see you there."

           "Fine. I'll also get a starting budget so I can buy high quality make-up and brushes and anything else I might needs as a stylist. And I'm demanding a high pay since I'm doing the job of three people." she continued.

           "I'll agree to those terms. I'm going to throw in even more in your paycheck considering who you'll have to deal with." the CEO laughed. "Anything else?"

           "I need this in writing as proof."

           "Will be done within the hour."

           "I'll review it then confirm my decision then." she stated decisively.

           "You really are a well-experienced manager, hm? Of course, come by my office at the end of the hour and we'll negotiate and review the contract."

           Mai nodded, feeling her body shaking slightly.

           "Well then, I look forward to seeing you in a bit Miss Maia." the CEO bowed and walked out, followed by Bang PD and other staff members.

           Maia exhaled and felt her knees finally give out. Where did she get all this courage? She just bargained with the head CEO of an entertainment company! Her heart was beating rapidly. She tried to stand up but her legs wobbled. However, a pair of strong hands propped her up before she hit the ground again.

           "Big Bang manager's daughter CD girl." Jungkook smiled as he lifted her up easily.

           "Guy who always runs away from me." Maia chuckled.

           "You were amazing." he complimented.

           Maia blushed. "Thanks. I didn't get in though."

           "You really blew everyone away though!" he exclaimed. "They surely won't forget you."

           Jin and Changmin's eyes widened as they witnessed Jungkook sprint from the table towards the girl a few seconds before.

           "Is ..." Changmin started.

           "Yeah..." Jin gasped.

           "Jungkook's talking to a girl?" they whispered to each other in awe.

           "Thanks for letting me get the chance to even audition." Maia scratched her head shyly.

           "Everybody deserved a chance." he shrugged. "Why were you late though?"

           "My dad doesn't really...approve of me auditioning so he tried to stop me." Maia exhaled, figuring she should be honest with someone at the end of the day.

           "Did he approve in the end?"

           "No." Maia laughed nervously. "He told me not to come back while I still had this foolish dream."

           "He kicked you out?!" Jungkook gasped.

           "Yeah, I guess that's what you call it." Maia laughed nonchalantly then waved her hands realizing Jungkook might think she was homeless now. "It's okay though, I have a place to go!"

           Jungkook exhaled in relief. "Oh good."

           "Sorry. I shouldn't be spilling all this to you."

           "No, no. I asked anyway." he shrugged. "Are you okay now? You were so cool standing up to the CEO."

           "I must've been out of my mind. I don't know what came over me." Maia chuckled.

           "It was awesome." Jungkook gave her a thumbs up. "You have my seal of approval."

           "Does every BTS member need to be unlocked?" Maia raised an eyebrow.

           "Definitely not. They'd love to have a girl close in age in the staff." he grinned. "Speaking of age..."

           "I'm a noona." she giggled, knowing where he was going. "I'm a 93 liner."

           "Ah..." Jungkook blushed. "Mian."

           "It's okay. I like when people talk informally. It helps us get closer."

           "I'll keep talking informally then, Mai-noona." he smiled once again, exposing his bunny-like teeth.

           Maia blushed and nodded shyly. "Please do."

           Suddenly, Changmin coughed in the back.

           "Oh!" Jungkook got flustered. "This is Jin- hyung and Changmin hyungnim!"

           "Yes, I'm quite aware. They're quite famous." Maia laughed, finding his blunder endearing.

           "You were really impressive." Jin smiled warmly and outstretched his hand. "Welcome to the team...hopefully!"

           "Most likely." Maia shook his hand in return.

           "And I'm sorry in advance for Yoongi." Jin frowned.

           "Yeah, I've witnessed the truth of the staff rumors." Maia chuckled nervously, hoping Jungkook didn't tell them she had been the mysterious hero who slapped diva Yoongi. Jungkook smiled and shook his head, as if reading her train of thoughts. She visibly relaxed and bowed deeply, "Please take good care of me."

           Jin smiled, praying that this girl would help set things straight.

           "No, no. Please take good care of us." 


Author's Note:  Anybody else get the "choose a practical career" talk too? And when I wrote Jin clapping and yelling "Wahh!" I heard it in his voice hahaha x)

Just to clarify as well. Maia's parents are separated for reasons that'll be revealed in later chapters. Her mom's currently in Japan but they keep in touch through phone and messaging :) 

Also for those who haven't heard IU's song she sang for the audition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPZOJxQ9Xcc

(I also got the English trans from this video) I love love love her vocals in it.

Until next chapter :] Thanks for reading ~