Chapter 10: Backgrounds & Beginnings

Don't Judge Sweet & Sour

         Yoongi paced around his room the next morning, pondering about the events of yesterday. It had been a quiet car ride back to the dorm. He and Maia knew that it wouldn't be good for either of them to return to the studio after the fiasco. He couldn't bring himself to ask what she had discussed with Manager Sejin and he presumed, the other Big Hit heads. So he had tossed and turned, wondering what was going to happen as a consequence.

        "Eat some breakfast Yoongi." Jin peeked inside to find his roommate still in deep thought. "It's already rare for you to be home, at least get a good meal before we head out."

        Yoongi frowned but followed Jin out into the kitchen. Jungkook bustled around with a piece of toast in his mouth and his phone glued to his hand. Jimin was fixing his hair as best as he could while Taehyung was playing a game on his phone. Jin was preparing a plate for Yoongi and the 94 liners were listening to music quietly on the couch. Everyone was acting like it was just another normal day. They had another music show performance so they were waiting for the coordis and managers to come get them. Although it was a bit early, no one was ever sure if they were going to get taken to a salon for hair and make-up before walking into the studio or sneakily making their way into their waiting rooms bare-faced instead. It was better to be prepared early either way.

        Suddenly, there was a knock on their door and Jin made his way to check who it was.

        "Oh?"

        Everyone glanced over curiously to see why the eldest member was surprised. At their doorway stood Maia, dressed up in a cute flowing dress, and her hair in loose curls.

        "Wahhh..." Jin breathed. "You look great Maia."

        Maia blushed and bowed at the compliment. "Sorry for barging in so early."

        "No worries. Come on in." Jin stepped back and let her step into their messy place.

        Jungkook's eyes widened and he rushed away to hide their scattered undergarments while Jimin and Taehyung closed the doors so she couldn't see anything in their respective rooms. Yoongi stared at her from where he was eating, stunned at her unusually dressed-up appearance.

        "Thanks." Maia smiled.

        "Sorry it's so messy." Jin scratched the back of his head.

        "Don't be. I'm still in the process of moving into mine so it's just as messy." she laughed.

        "Are you our manager for the day?" Taehyung beamed excitedly.

        Maia chuckled and nodded, "Yeah, sorry for the short notice. They thought it'd be good for me to take you to the music show...after the speculations yesterday."

        Hers and Yoongi's eyes met and they hurriedly averted their gaze away from each other. Maia was a little embarrassed about how she handled the fight and on the same plane, Yoongi was ashamed that he hadn't been able to lift a finger and had to be protected.      

         "I'll be driving you guys over to the salon today so dress yourselves." Maia reported. "Then we're going to walk to the studio, greet your fans, talk to some reporters briefly then head in to meet up with your coordis."

        "Sounds good." the members consented nonchalantly and dispersed to get changed out of their pajamas and sweats.

        Yoongi was still eating breakfast at the table and Maia wasn't sure exactly where it would be appropriate for her to sit down.

        "Just sit here." he called out. "I don't know how clean the couch is."

        Maia moved to where he was at his beckoning.

        "Did you eat?" he asked, pretending to be reading something intensely on his phone.

        "Yeah. I'm okay." she answered.

        Then it was back to silence. Yoongi wasn't sure what to say and neither was Maia. Once he finished his meal, he placed it into the dishwasher, and hesitated before heading back to his room.

        Maia was scrolling through her phone comfortably, already used to his silence.

        "Are you doing my make-up?"  

        She glanced up, surprised. "I can if you want me to."

        Yoongi looked away. "Might as well, since you're here."

        "Okay, well get dressed and I'll do it." Maia nodded.

        Yoongi scuffled out of the kitchen and into his room, where he found Jin holding two pink shirts with different printed words on them.

        "Which would be good?" he questioned.

        "They look exactly the same to me." Yoongi exhaled.

        "But they have different lettering!"

        "Just wear that one. You wore the other one at another broadcast." Yoongi pointed and hurried to his own closet to put together a decent outfit.

        Jungkook put on one of his 24 white t-shirts and tossed a flannel shirt over it. He jumped into jean shorts and his Timberland boots. Then he floated to his dresser, grabbed one of his many cologne bottles then proceeded to drench himself in its scent, causing Jimin and Taehyung to cough and swat the air particles away.

        "TOO MUCH Jungkook! That's too much!" they yelled.

        Jungkook shrugged and wafted his bangs to the side then confidently stepped out of the room. He froze as he found that he was the only one that had finished dressing up. Nervously, he walked into the kitchen to keep Maia company. She looked up and smiled at him.

        "Nice!" she complimented. "A+ for style!"

        "Y-you too." he blushed as he sat beside her.

        "Thanks...it's not too much right?" she questioned. "It's my first time being out there with you guys and...I don't want to stand out but I also don't want to look...bad?"

        "I've seen you in pictures with Big Bang staff though?" Jungkook mentioned.

        Maia chuckled, "But I wasn't anyone important then, and I was able to blend in with the coordis."

        Jungkook smiled, "You look really good, Maia. And besides..."

        He leaned closer to whisper, "...think about it as practice for when you debut."

        Maia grinned and nodded, "You're right. And besides, all the attention will be on you guys anyway. So I shouldn't be too nervous."

        Jungkook laughed, "Just smile and walk. You'll be fine."

        "How did you figure out how to look good in pictures?" Maia questioned.

        "I'm just naturally good-looking and photogenic." Jungkook grinned widely.

        She smacked his arm playfully at his arrogant statement and they both giggled. Yoongi coughed at the entranceway to get their attention, coming in with a white t-shirt and ripped jeans, finished off with a beanie on top of his head.

        "Well, we don't got all day." he murmured.

        Maia sighed and grabbed her backpack. "Well come here then."

        "We can't do make-up on the kitchen table." Yoongi grumbled. "We eat there."

        "Well, where CAN I do make-up?" Maia raised her eyebrow.

        "Just..." Yoongi blushed. "we can just do it in my room. There's a mirror and whatever."

        Jungkook and Maia glanced at each other, taken aback by the suggestion.

        "Um are you sure...?" she asked hesitantly.

        "It's clean for goodness sake! I'm hardly there." he growled as he pushed the door open.

        Luckily, Jin was already changed and putting on his signature pink cap. His eyes widened as Yoongi welcomed Maia into the room and led her to his dresser. Jungkook followed quietly, not wanting to leave the two alone, and sat at the foot of Jin's bed.

        "I'll just even out your skin tone and stuff." Maia stated.

        Yoongi hummed as he closed his eyes, leaving his face in her hands. Soon, the others trickled into the room and watched their hyung surprisingly being obedient and dozing off as Maia applied his make-up. They had never seen it for themselves.

        "Alright, that should do it." Maia closed the foundation compact and smiled.

        Yoongi eyes drowsily fluttered open. He realized he didn't get a good amount of sleep last night, wondering about what would happen to the person in front of him. He furrowed his eyebrows, confused as to why that would even keep him up.

        "Let's go?" she turned to talk to the boys who had gathered around on the floor, as if she was presenting a show-and-tell.

        Yoongi just realized he had had an audience and he whirled around with a scowl on his face. Immediately, the members scrambled out of the room. Yoongi stretched as Maia packed up her make-up.

        "So you're not in trouble?" he finally managed to ask.

        Maia looked up and shook her head. "No. But they just want to make it clear that I was doing my job as your manager and not as a random citizen that took it a little too far."

        Yoongi nodded, slightly relieved.

~

        Maia tapped the wheel nervously as she parked at the back of the studio.

        "It'll be fine, Maia." Jin reassured. "Let me check your face."

        Maia laughed as she turned to stare at Jin and Jin at her in return.

        "Perfect." Jin smiled, causing Maia to blush. "You don't have to check me, I'm always handsome."

        The other members cringed in the back at his self-praise, but his humor eased Maia.

        "Let me check everyone before we head out." She hopped out of the car and the others piled out and lined up for their last check.

        Maia straightened out what she could and tucked in the little tufts of hair peeking out from the boys. Then finally, they proceeded to walk towards the crowd of fans awaiting their arrival to the studio. Maia stayed a few steps behind, making sure to keep an eye on all of the members. She clutched her sunglasses and was about to put them on, in a fit of fear, but her wrist was hurriedly gripped by Taehyung.

        "Nuh-uh, M&M." he grinned. "It's your debut today. I won't let your prettiness go to waste."

        Maia blushed at his straightforward compliment.

        "I'll stay next to you so you don't get too nervous!" he cheered.

        "I'll be nervous being seen next to you." Maia mumbled. "You're all ridiculously handsome."

        Taehyung laughed heartily. "But we all think you're ridiculously beautiful, Noona!"

        Jimin gave her a thumbs up in agreement. Jungkook blushed but gave a slight nod. Yoongi put his hands in his pocket, trying to pretend he didn't hear any of Taehyung's statements.

        "Fighting Manager Maia!" J-Hope and Rapmon encouraged.

        Maia laughed and patted their backs, "Alright, alright. Let's keep walking or else all the attention will really be on me."

        Everyone grinned at her shyness and continued on their path. She watched them in awe. All of the members were practically glowing in front of her as they heard the fans screaming and greeting them. Even if it wasn't for her, the excitement was infectious. She stood to the side as the members lined up and did their unison greeting. Feeling a bit motherly, she observed them proudly as they conversed with their fans and some reporters. Suddenly, she heard Taehyung say, "We brought a very important person with us to meet you today!"

        Maia's eyes widened and she looked around, hoping it was someone else. Flustered she went to search for sunglasses, only to realize that Taehyung had taken it from her.

        "That's our new manager noona, Manager Maia!" he yelled and pointed to her.

        She timidly bowed and felt her cheeks warm, feeling the awkward stares of fans.

        "Isn't she pretty?" Taehyung chuckled.

        "Dehhh!" the fans shouted in agreement.

        Maia tried to stop herself from outwardly cringing out of embarrassment. It was such a forced compliment.

        "She takes care of us well so please take care of her as well!" Jimin chimed in. "Please say hello when you see her from now on."

        "Dehhh ~" they answered.

        Maia bowed gratefully and as if sensing the timing, Rapmon finished the session with an ending speech stating how thankful he was that they were waiting to cheer them on and how he hopes that they have a lot of fun seeing their performance today. With that, they filed into the studio slowly with Maia shyly following them, trying her best to bow and greet everyone who made an effort to talk to her. She also reached out and took fan's gifts and letters until both arms were full. In addition, she was bombarded with messages for the boys and she tried her best to remember them before making her way inside.

        "You know you didn't have to take those." Yoongi met her at the doorway.

        "I wanted to make a good first impression. Plus I know how much time they took to make these and stuff." she stated.

        Yoongi stared at her for a bit before turning to walk away. The security guards took the gifts out of her hands so they could scan them for anything harmful then returned them.

        Much to her surprise, all of the boys, including Yoongi were waiting in the main dressing room when she walked in.

        "Not bad right?" Rapmon chuckled.

        Maia shook her head. "It was a little embarrassing but yeah it wasn't bad."

        "Ooo fan gifts!" Jimin and J-Hope clapped excitedly when they spotted what she was holding.

        "Yeah, there's food being delivered too. I'm going to go pick that up. I'll be back." Maia dropped off the presents on the empty table and hurried out.

        Everyone ate and laughed heartily. No one mentioned the fact that they were all in awe that Yoongi was in the room, eating quietly with them. If they had pointed it out, they knew he would've made his escape out of stubbornness. But on the other hand, Yoongi was trying to figure out Maia by observing her in a natural setting. There were just too many outrageous facts about her that didn't connect. Why would she be a manager AND his make-up artist? How was she good at both? How could she be defending herself so flawlessly one second then being shy in front of a bunch of fans the next? It peeved him how easily she got along with everyone too. There was something that she was hiding, he was sure of it. But what it was, he was determined to find out.

        "Mai-mai!" Taehyung skipped to her and showed him her phone. "Look, you have your own fan taken pictures too."

        Maia grabbed his phone, surprisingly. Everyone crowded around and exhaled.

        "Wahh, that's a great photo! Aren't our fans great?" Jin complimented.

        Maia stared at the photo in shock. Jungkook smiled knowingly. He had been the same when he saw his first fan taken photos as well. It was surreal that people would notice them, much less take such wonderful photos to capture their best moments. The whole concept of having pictures taken while doing something as normal and mundane as laughing or walking was still overwhelming to him, despite years of being in the limelight already.

        "I'll send you the photos I find." Taehyung grinned as he received his phone back.

        "Thanks." Maia blushed.

        "When did you exchange numbers?" Rapmon questioned.

        "Eh?" Taehyung blinked. "I asked her like a couple of weeks ago. Didn't you guys?"

        Everyone stared at him blankly.

        "What? You didn't?" he smirked. "Guess, I'm the only one that could text Mai-mai ~"

        Jin and Rapmon rolled their eyes while Jungkook internally panicked at Taehyung being so bold and beating him to it first.

        "Noona," Jimin handed her his phone. "Put your number in mine too!"

        "No. Go away, Jimin." Taehyung pushed him away playfully. "I'm the only one that can have her number."

        "She may want to text me too. Don't be selfish." Jimin giggled.

        Jungkook fiddled his fingers, wondering if he should also join in the fray.

        "Now guys, don't bombard her." Rapmon scolded. "It's supposed to be for business."

        Maia laughed as they all began bickering. It had been her first close look at how life would be being an idol and she wasn't paying much attention to anything else.

~

        Yoongi lay in his room, staring at his ceiling. He had gotten home and passed out from exhaustion. It was way passed time to call Maia to meet him at the studio so he wouldn't get in trouble. Sighing, he sat up and threw a sweater on. However, he couldn't waste precious time where he could be producing something. Sneaking out of the building, he walked to the company briskly. He shivered as he entered and made his way to his studio. But then he froze when he wasn't met with the silence he expected. The hallway echoed with the beautiful vibrations of the piano. Slowly, he tiptoed to the room where the sounds originated and peeked in. There, he was stunned to find Maia, playing the piano skillfully, swaying to the music. Yoongi was about to open the door and begin questioning her when her voice filled up the entire hallway. He felt his mouth drop in amazement, and his body melted into the rich tones that reverberated around him.

        Maia could sing.

 

[A/N: I was listening to Taeyeon's "Missing You Like Crazy" when I was writing this part so the song she was singing was that in my mind.]

        Her voice was full yet cautious, timid yet commanding, and there was no doubt that she was skilled and had immense potential. What surprised him the most were the emotions that oozed out of every word she sang as if she was speaking to someone, telling them what she kept inside through song. He felt his heart quiver with sadness mixed with excitement. Her singing elicited his empathy, having him remember the times where he had felt similar anguish, but his heart beat also quickened at bearing witness to such a talent. His brain was running miles per second and he quickly whipped his phone out.

        Maia had her eyes closed as she finally released her emotions in the only way she knew how. Her thoughts floated back to the afternoon and while it had been wonderful, she also felt a tinge of sadness. Her mother wasn't there. Her father wasn't supporting her. She had no one to encourage her or congratulate her for her step forward today and for the days to come. She missed her mother. She missed her family. But she also knew she couldn't go back and fix everything. The only way was to pursue her dream, although it was evidently going to be lonely. She pressed the keys longingly as the song ended.    Sighing, she stood up and turned to leave the room, only to come face to face with Yoongi, smugly leaning against the doorway. She stared at him, flabbergasted at his unannounced presence.

        "What're you ...?" she started.

        "Shouldn't I be asking you that?" he retorted.

        "How long were you standing there like a creep?" Maia glared.

        "The whole song." Yoongi grinned.

        Maia grumbled.

        "Should I tattle on you now or later?" he waved his phone. "I recorded everything."

        "It wouldn't do much difference. Go ahead." Maia shrugged as she picked up her bag.

        Yoongi huffed at not getting the reaction he wanted.

        "So you're just going to neglect your job as my manager, hm?"

        "I'm not neglecting--"

        "I'm here. You're here. But you're leaving, meaning you're abandoning your idol. If anything happens to me, and they see this video that you were in here, you'll be at fault." he reported.

        Maia sighed. "What do you want, Suga-ssi?"

        "I'm getting a bit thirsty." he waved his hand. "Please fetch me water and deliver it to my studio."

        She grumbled as she walked passed him to do as he wished. Yoongi hurried to his studio, scribbled something onto one of his post-it notes, then ran to a different room, feeling like a little kid playing hide-and-seek.

        Maia stepped into his studio cautiously, knowing it was somewhat forbidden territory. She found a note on his desk with his messy writing telling her that he moved to the recording studio.

        "Where the heck is that?" she pursed her lips.

        She just wanted to go home. Why did he have to show up today and witness her practicing? Why him out of all people?

        Slowly, she pushed open all of the doors in the hallway, until she found him with his headphones on, tapping against the mixing equipment.

         "You could've just told me you'd be here in the first place." she mumbled.

        "You took too long so I moved." he shrugged as he took a sip of water then handed it back to her. "That needs to go on the table away from the equipment."

        Maia exhaled, biting back her irritation at being treated as a maid once again.

        "Do me a favor and go in there to check the sound." Yoongi pointed into booth.

        She dragged her feet into the booth and put the headphones on.

        "Can you hear me?" he talked into her.

        "Yep."

        "I'm going to play a track, let me know if you can hear it."

        "Sure."

        "Can you?"

        "Yes."

        "Good. Now there are lyrics in front of you. You see it?"

        "Um yes? Whether I can read it is another story. Is this your handwriting?" Maia asked.

        "That's not important. I need you to listen and follow the voice so I can check the sound and make sure the recording equipment is fine."

        "What for?"

        "It's important! I can't keep running back and forth so be useful for once."

        Maia became irritated at his statement but he played the music so she didn't have time to retort. She bounced her head to the music, quite intrigued already by the track. Then she started cracking up when she heard his rough voice begin to sing through her headphones.

        Yoongi growled, "What the heck are you doing?"

        "Is that you?" Maia laughed.

        "So what if it is?"

        "Sorry, I just didn't expect it." she breathed while Yoongi crossed his arms, embarrassed.

        "Just do your job."

        "Yes, yes. I'll check the sound for you." Maia rolled her eyes.

        She began following his voice and the music with her own singing, carefully watching Yoongi to see when she should stop. He paused a few times and asked her to try to do a run or to sing it in a different way, all while focusing on the score in front of him. Forgetting her annoyance with him, she simply fell into recording under his instruction, wanting to challenge herself and also meet his demands as best as she could. She had never heard this song before, but she really quite liked it and wanted to do it justice.

        "Alright!" Yoongi yawned. "We're done."

        "Oh thank goodness." Maia walked to the door but Yoongi rushed over and locked it. "Yah!"

        He smirked. "We're not done yet."

        "You just said we were done."

        "With recording, yes. But I have questions."

        "Did you really need to lock me in here to ask me questions? I'm not a criminal."

        "And how would I know you're not?" Yoongi raised an eyebrow.

        "Seriously?" Maia starred at him in disbelief. "What is your problem?"

        "I'll be asking the questions."

        Maia rolled her eyes and sat down. "Ask away then."

        "Who exactly are you?" Yoongi fired right away.

        "Excuse me?"

        "Why're you here?"

        "I'm not sure how you want me to answer that."

        "Truthfully would be nice."

        "Well I'm Lee Maia, your manager and make-up artist/coordi."

        "And apparently someone who can sing really well and fight too. Are you looking to work your way up by getting close to us? First, you were someone working backstage who stuck her nose in my business, and now you're here. Sounds very suspicious to me."

         She sighed and leaned against the wall of the recording room. It would be difficult to answer vaguely in her situation. Telling him the truth probably wouldn't be so harmful, or so she prayed.

        "I'm Lee Maia, the daughter of Big Bang's manager." she reintroduced herself. "I was backstage cause I was the assistant manager and coordinator or make-up artist...whatever they needed a hand with. I just happened to pass by and hear how rudely you were treating people. My body reacted to how much of an arse you were being. I would apologize, but I'm not actually sorry about it."

        Yoongi glared at her but didn't say anything so she continued.

        "My dream is to become an idol, but my father had always refused the notion and kept me under a tight leash. Luckily, the other idols and trainees at YG were supportive and trained me secretly. I got enough courage to try out for Big Hit but my dad locked me in my room the day of so I ended up being late." Maia reminisced as she stared at her shoes. "I begged them to hear me out and luckily, Jungkook and Jin supported me. They only let me sing but I guess they were impressed yet skeptic. In order to prove that I'm serious about this, they wanted me to become your manager and whatever for a year. I ended up negotiating privileges to the studios so I can train on my own, as long as none of the trainees find out. So here I am."

        She exhaled and glanced up at Yoongi studying her intently.

        "So you're using me to advance your career?"

        "Not at all." Maia laughed. "If anything, you're hurting my chances of advancing."

        Yoongi smiled slightly at the comment.

        "I'm training when I can. I'm going to use this opportunity and do what I can on my own. It's my own dream after all. I wouldn't tear someone down just to lift myself up." Maia whispered. "I have to show my father that I can do it."

        Yoongi heard her comment loud and clear, and his face softened. "Is that who you miss?"

        "What?"

        "The song you sang earlier?" he asked. "You had to have someone in mind to sing like that."

        "Oh." Maia blushed. "No...I was thinking about my mom."

        "Your mom?"

        "Yeah, my parents divorced because they fought over my future." she hugged her knees sadly. "So my mom moved to Japan and travels around to provide for me, so I can pursue what I want to."

        Yoongi remained silent. He hadn't expected things to get so deep and honestly, it surprised him that she had such a background. She had always remained positive, confident, and strong, but now he realized it was because she had grown up with such a past. Ashamed at prying, he walked over and unlocked the door to free her.

        "Sorry." he murmured as she stepped out.

        "No hard feelings?" she outstretched her hand and smiled.

        He shook her hand sadly then in no time, he found his body being shoved into the room roughly. It had happened so quickly that it took him a few seconds to register that Maia had locked him in. He began panicking, his breathing became shallow. It was happening again. He was being tricked again.

        "Now, it's time for you to be honest with me." she crossed her arms and spoke.

        Yoongi glanced over and saw a hint of sadness in her eyes. He relaxed, realizing that it was only fair for him to answer her questions when she so honestly answered his. Sitting up, he sighed.

        "Go ahead."

        "What happened to you?" she strained to ask.

        Yoongi froze. He hadn't expected her to ask him this.

        "Suga-ssi?" she stepped forward and touched the glass worriedly.

        His heart wrenched at the sound of genuine concern in her voice, but his throat had closed and his body was on the defensive. He heard the door unlock and Maia's footsteps coming closer.

        "Sorry. I guess you might not want to talk about it yet." she frowned as she grabbed his arm to help him up.

        Her touch brought him back from his thoughts and he suddenly felt like he needed to tell someone. For some odd reason, he felt like Maia would be someone that he could trust with the secret. He wanted Maia to be able to understand him. He wanted someone to know and maybe, just maybe, he'd be able to move forward like she was doing.

        "Sit." he commanded as he pulled her down beside him easily.

        Maia hesitantly sat down next to him, not sure if he was going to answer her or not.

        "I'm sure you've heard the story that my attitude all started when my original manager and coordi 'quit'." he started and Maia nodded.

        He looked down at his hands. "They didn't quit. That was just some stupid cover for what really happened so the company didn't lose its reputation."

        Maia remained silent so he could collect his thoughts. She realized that it might be the first time he was opening up about it.

        "One day, I was in the studio working late again. They came to check up on me and gave me tea and everything. The tea had a drug in it that paralyzed me temporarily. I guess they thought it was a sleeping pill or something but I witnessed everything. They came in and downloaded all of my song files into a USB then took off. They were scared out of their wits when they saw my eyes were open. But I was so frustrated. I couldn't move. I felt so stuck, so enclosed, with no way of escaping. Luckily, my make-up artist came in and saw the wreck of my studio; she panicked and called the higher ups. They alerted the police and there was a whole chase. They eventually caught the two and locked them up with a large fine."

        Maia frowned.

        "I got my songs back, but everything just shattered for me that day you know?" Yoongi scratched the back of his head. "I trusted them so much, and they did something horrible like that to me. It's funny cause I found that they were going to sell them for lots of money. And I realized that I was worthless to them; that I was a mere pawn for their greed. Then I began wondering just how long they had been plotting this while I remained ignorant and chipper. I also began wondering who else was going to betray me next.

        My songs are essentially a piece of me. They are the culmination of my hard work, my passion, my voice, my thoughts, my determination, and they took it so easily for selfish gains. I shut myself out so no one would ever hurt me like that again. I couldn't trust people. Everyone seemed suspicious. Everyone seemed like they wanted to use me for my fame. As for my members, I was ashamed that I had been so weak. I shut them out too because I didn't want them to know and to live in the same fear I was dealing with. I played the bad guy to make sure no one would ever ruin what we've all built up together."

        "And now?" Maia mentioned.

        Yoongi glanced over at her, confused.

        "You're still angry and frustrated about something other than the incident." she stated knowingly.

        Yoongi chuckled and nodded. "My parents also don't approve of my path as a musician. They haven't talked to me since I decided to make this into a career. I want to quickly prove to them that it's not a second-rate profession and that I'm going to rise against the odds. I want to become more famous as a rapper-producer in the industry. But I ...haven't been coming up with anything good for months."

        Maia felt his exasperation and his frustration.

        "But I still mix and write, no matter how many times I come up with a crappy chord or get stuck on a lyric I can't quite phrase eloquently. It's like... I want them to acknowledge me already."

        She chuckled and nodded, "I know the feeling."

        Yoongi smiled. It was nice having someone else understand the pressure he was putting on himself.

        "Well I'm here now to help you." she stated. "We have the same goals, don't we?"

        Yoongi looked over at her.

        "So let's help each other out, okay?" she grinned.

        "You work for me so these favors are a bit lopsided, don't you think?" he smirked.

        Maia rolled her eyes as she stood up. "If you ask me, they don't pay me enough to deal with you, Suga-ssi."

        Yoongi chuckled and dusted himself. "Yoongi."

        "Hm?"

        "Just call me Yoongi." He avoided her gaze as he explained himself.

        Maia stared at him surprised then her lips curled up happily. "Yoongi it is then."

        "And I'm going to just call you whatever I want." he spoke.

        "I figured you'd say something like that." Maia shrugged. "I respond even if you don't call my name anyway."

        Yoongi smiled and stepped out of the booth, heading back to the equipment.

        "You know why you're having a writer's block?" Maia smirked, crossing her arms.

        "Enlighten me, oh great one."

        "Well you would say you write based off of experiences right?"

        "Mhm."

        "Well how do you suppose you're going to have anything to write about if you don't go experience anything?!"

        Yoongi gawked at her. She had a legitimate point.

        "You're always cooped up in your studio or in your dressing room by yourself. An artist needs experience for inspiration. GET INFIRED!" she teased, earning a glare from him. "Live a little Min Yoongi."

        She grinned widely at him and Yoongi felt his heartbeat quicken for a moment. He furrowed his brow as the moment lapsed. What was that?

        He shook his head and pulled another seat beside his.

        "Well since we're still being honest. You wanna hear the guide song to a Min Yoongi Original you just recorded for me?"

        "Wh-what?" Maia's eyes widened as he grinned at her astonished expression.

        "Close your mouth and listen Maia." he pulled her into a seat easily, since she remained frozen. "We're going to propose this song for the next album and show those people just how talented we both are."

        Maia's grin grew at his statement and she nodded in agreement as he pressed play. 


A/N: I just wanted to put a disclaimer that this is allll fictional!! Yoongi's parents very much support him and attend his concerts. I know he doesn't talk about them much and at a point, he did mention that they weren't super fond of his career choice, but that's in the past. So please, remember this background story is all made-up and there's nothing factual about it. I hope you all enjoy and you're having a great summer :)