Chapter 15: New Manager?!

Don't Judge Sweet & Sour

       "Whoa, Noona. Looking nice!" Hoseok cheered.

        Maia blushed as she fiddled with the end of her skirt. "It's not too much?"

        "No, you look really good." Jungkook assured her.

        "Yeah, and wearing heels immediately makes you taller than Yoongi." Jin teased. "So that's a bonus."

        Yoongi scowled, but was too tired to make a comment. 

        "What's the occasion?" Jimin questioned.

        "Oh. It's my first company meeting so I wanted to look...decent?" she mumbled shyly.

        "It wouldn't have anything to do with that cute, young PD, would it?" Namjoon nudged her playfully.

        "Well I mean..." She played with the tips of her hair. "...it wouldn't hurt to look nice to him too."

        Jungkook's eyes widened and Yoongi rolled his eyes, but everyone laughed it off.

        "Well, sorry we're not part of this meeting. It would've been nice to see you at work." Namjoon patted her back. "But seeing as you've handled a lot worse--" his eyes flitted towards Yoongi. "you'll be just fine."

        "Thanks." Maia smiled, grateful for the encouragement. "Anyway, get to practice. I've already taken enough of your time, and I don't want to be late."

        She shuffled them along.

        "Come to my studio after you're done." Yoongi grumbled before he stalked off.

        She snorted and made her way to the conference room.

 


        Yoongi tapped his pen anxiously on his table as he watched the minutes tick by. It shouldn't be irritating him this much. Shouldn't she be focusing on achieving her dream instead of parading around trying to attract men? And it was just a stupid staff meeting. There was no need to wear such a short skirt and a see-through blouse. He bit the inside of his cheek before hurrying out of his studio.

        "Yoongi hyung?" Jungkook tilted his head curiously as he spotted Yoongi pacing in front of the conference room and mumbling to himself intently. His eyes glanced down at his elder member clutching something in his hand.

        When voices were heard getting closer to the door, Yoongi hurried to hide and Jungkook flattened himself in the hallway corner as well, to avoid being seen.

        "Oh Maia." The handsome, young PD called out as she stepped through the door.

        "Hm?" She turned, surprised at being addressed.

        "I thought you really brought up great points at this meeting. Sorry they didn't all get through." he smiled.

        She giggled and waved her hand. "I'm just happy they were considered. I'm new to this whole thing so I'm sure there's a lot of logistics I don't quite understand yet."

        He nodded, "Anyway, I also wanted to say that uh... you look really nice today."

        Maia's cheeks warmed and turned a shade of pink. She bit her lip to stop herself from grinning like an idiot. "Th-thanks."

        "I'll see you around!" He waved.

        "See you!" She raised her arm and returned the gesture as elegantly as she could.

        Maia giddily turned around, only to be taken aback by a grumpy looking Yoongi in front of her.

        "Holy cr--Yoongi!" She clutched her chest. "What're you doing??"

        He shoved sweatpants into her arms, "Wear it. Now."

        "What in the world? Why?" She argued.

        He scoffed, "Your legs are as white as mine. Hide them."

        "Excuse me??" She raised an eyebrow, offended.

        "You need to wear PANTS! Pants only, got it?" Yoongi wasn't sure what he was blurting out anymore. He just knew seeing her wear such an outfit made him feel uncomfortable and irritated. He didn't want to delve any further into that.

        "No. Take this back." She chucked his pants at him.

        "Friggin hide your legs or I'm going to sue." he argued.

        "Are you drunk?" She looked at him incredulously.

        "Noona." Jungkook stepped in. "It's a bit chilly in here. Here."

        He threw one of his hoodies over her shoulders. Maia relaxed and pulled the warmth around her.

        "Yeah it was getting cold in there."

        Jungkook smiled. "How was it?"

        Yoongi rolled his eyes as he watched the two conversing happily, as if he wasn't right next to them.

        "Stupid. I was just trying to be nice." He muttered as he trudged back to his studio.

        Maia curiously watched Yoongi disappear, wondering what his random outburst was all about.

 


        "So you know, I've been seeing Min Yoongi outside of his studio a lot more often."

        Maia was in the break room waiting for her coffee to blend when she overheard some of the female employees talking.

        "Yeah, he's really handsome in person, isn't he?"

        "I heard he had a bit of a temper, but I really haven't seen it."

        "He does have that hott bad boy vibe."

        She fought back a snort as she grabbed her coffee and put a cap on it. Little did they know it wasn't a vibe, he really did have a nasty temper.

        As she continued on her way to meet with Manager Sejin to talk about the week's schedule, she spotted a crowd of trainees peeking through what she knew to be BTS's dance studio. Curiously, she waltzed closer to see what was happening.

        "Suga's in there! He's practicing!"

        "Look at them! They're all so handsome and talented!"

        Maia smiled warmly as she watched their concentrated looks as they tirelessly practiced their dance routine. It made her heart pang with jealousy. She, too, wanted to spend hours perfecting her skills and stage. Sipping her coffee, she quelled herself by repeating "one day I'll be there".

        "Suga's smiling! He's smiling!"

        Her eyes flitted to where Yoongi was laughing at s acting silly and she found her lips curling up at the rare sighting. But suddenly, his eyes locked with hers through the window and she panicked, immediately darting away, praying he didn't catch her creeping with the other girls.

        "Maia?" Yoongi questioned to himself, but when he blinked, he only spotted some trainees outside.

        He shook his head and returned to his spot. "Must be seeing things."

 


        "I think we need to find you a more active hobby." Maia hummed as she sat on the couch of Genius Lab.

        Whenever she didn't feel like training, she wormed her way into Yoongi's studio, and at first, there was a lot of resistance and bickering, but eventually it eased into a routine. Scheduling was much simpler when they worked together and voiced their opinions to compromise anyway.

        "Are you talking about me or yourself?" Yoongi drawled.

        "Ah I was checking to see if you were listening to something. But you were just wearing those to keep an appearance up." She grinned.

        "I wasn't listening to anything cause I knew you'd badmouth me eventually." He hissed.

        "I always badmouth you to your face so don't worry about that." She nonchalantly stated. "Anyways, I'm serious about an active hobby."
        "Forget it. I have basketball. I'm satisfied."

        "Tch. A new one. Something that you could do on your own."

        "Why are you bringing this up?" Yoongi exhaled and spun around.

        Maia waved a piece of paper. "Your medical exam didn't come out so good."

        "Yah! Don't look at my papers!" Yoongi attempted to grab it out of her hand, but she pulled back as she continued to read. "They recommend getting exercise." Then she successfully let him rip that paper from her grasp and spoke to him. "When you're not working, you're sleeping. Your bones are cracking when you move and you're not even thirty. I am extremely concerned for your health."

        Yoongi glared at her blatant use of dramatics.

        "How about boxing?!" She clapped her hands. "It could also be a good stress reliever. You seem to have a lot of pent up, untapped anger. So instead of using your mouth, you could use your fists."

        "Aish." Yoongi chucked a pen at her. "You think everyone's like you, huh?"

        "It's all in the name of self-defense." She laid a hand on her heart. "I have never used my skills for selfish purposes."

        He eyed at her skeptically.

        "You could also try running with me. I go every other morning."

        "Forget it. I'm not a morning person." Yoongi exhaled. "And running for fun sounds absolutely horrifying."

        "No, you're just not a 'waking up' person." She corrected. "And I mean I can always race you or attempt to chase you. That would make it less fun and make you run all the same."

        "Putting my headphones on." Yoongi rolled his eyes, having enough of her antics.

        "Boxing it is then. Congratulations! I'm going to find you a place to start."

        "Do whatever you want." He exhaled.

        Maia's lips curled up, knowing that meant he liked the idea but didn't want to say it outright.

        "Maybe ballroom dancing?" She teased.

        "Don't you dare." He hissed.

        She giggled as she lay down on the couch, tapping her clipboard.

        "We have a few more people looking into your ballad. What should I tell them?"

        "It's not ready." He muttered.

        "I thought it sounded alright?" She hummed.

        "I want to make lyrics too. Not just a track." He admitted.

        Maia stopped her tapping and stared at Yoongi's back, clicking away on his keys. She smiled warmly.

        "I'll tell them it's not complete then." 

        Yoongi lips turned up in small smile as he continued scanning his screen.

 


        Tae was whistling and skipping happily after having had a successful trip to the bathroom, when he overheard his manager's voice.

        "Maia...we'd like to talk to you about being Changmin's manager."

        His eyes widened as he peeked into the room to find Manager Sejin, his sunbae, Changmin, and Changmin's manager all sitting there with a serious atmosphere. Gasping, he sprinted straight to the practice room to tell the others what he happened upon.

        "GUYS! WE HAVE A PROBLEM!" Tae bellowed.

        The boys turned to look at him inquisitively.

        "I think Maia's going to be reassigned and won't be our manager anymore." Tae frowned.

        "What?!" They all gasped, save Yoongi who didn't have much of a reaction.

 


        "Yo." Yoongi called her. "I'm heading to the studio."

        "Oh. Can't babysit you today, sorry." Maia chuckled into the phone.

        "Oh?" Yoongi questioned, the recollection of what Tae overheard slipped into the forefront of his mind. "Why?"

        She chuckled. "I'm going with the other coordis to shop for your stage outfits."

        Yoongi remained silent for a few seconds before asking, "Can I tag along?"

        "What?" Maia asked, unsure if she had heard him correctly.

        "Don't act so surprised." Yoongi grumbled. "You're the one that told me I needed to experience more."

        "I'm just -- wow. I mean...I guess. You know people might see you if you tag along."

        "No ." Yoongi snorted. "I mean you're picking clothes for me. Wouldn't it help if I was actually there?"

        Maia exhaled, "Why do I already hear you disapproving of everything we're going to choose?"

        "Probably accurate. But you'll probably force me into them anyway." he shrugged.

        "Very true. I'll come pick you up in 20 then. Look decent."

        "Don't I always?" Yoongi smirked.

        Maia snorted before hanging up.

 


        "Hyung? Going to the studio?" Namjoon asked as he spotted Yoongi slipping into his shoes.

        "Oh no. I'm going shopping with the coordis." He stated nonchalantly.

        "What?" 5 heads shot up from the living room.

        Yoongi averted his eyes from their incredulous looks. "It's not a big deal."

        Namjoon gestured to the others to calm down. "Okay, well enjoy."

        "That's not fair. I wanna go too." Tae pouted.

        Yoongi's phone rang and he quickly picked up. "Yeah, I'm heading out. I know! Sheesh it's only been 30 seconds, calm yourself woman."

        He huffed as he stuffed his keys into his jacket pocket and shut the door behind him. The dorm was in silence, except for the faint noise from the television.

        "You know, I hope she's really not leaving." Jimin frowned. "Yoongi-hyung seems to be more himself when she's around."

        Everyone nodded in agreement.

        "I'm sure the company knows what they're doing. We just have to have faith." Namjoon reassured. "Besides, we still don't know the full story."  

       


        When Yoongi stepped into the van, he was surprised to find that the other coordis were sitting in the back, looking a bit uncomfortable with his presence. He didn't blame them of course. Politely, he bowed his head to greet them and they did the same.

        "It makes my life easier that you decided to tag along. I was just going to wing your measurements." Maia grinned. "You got a bit chubbier from the old measurements they gave me."

        "What? Excuse me? I have been keeping very fit." He retaliated, knowing full well it was a blatant lie.

        "Mhm." Maia chuckled. "We'll have to see."

        Yoongi huffed. "Why did I even agree to come?"

        "You're the one that asked to come, need I remind you?" she commented.

        He grumbled, knowing she was right. "Shut up and let's go."

 


        "This is ridiculous. What is with this print?" Yoongi groaned as he stepped out of the dressing room.

        Maia bit her lip, amused. The other coordis were also trying to hide their reactions as well.

        "It's fashion." Maia circled him, trying to envision his stage outfit. "Maybe some accessories will even it out. Your ripped black jeans. Mhm."

        "Don't you dare get this shirt." He warned.

        "Is that a challenge?" she smirked.

        "Why I'm going to--" Yoongi gritted his teeth.

        "Going to what?" she chuckled.

        Yoongi curled his fists, annoyed. His words hardly work and he knew he would lose in a physical battle. When did Lee Maia overpower him this much?  

        She giggled at his obvious internal battle.

        "I'm kidding. I'm not getting it. A little too frilly for this comeback concept. I just wanted to see how you would react to it."

        "You are such a nuisance." he groaned.

        "Maia, we're going to the next store." The other coordis called out.

        "Okay." she smiled sadly.

        Yoongi caught her expression and felt a little guilty, knowing it was because of him that she was a bit of an outcast amongst the stylists and coordis.

        "Should we also head out?" he asked.

        She chuckled. "Well unless you want to get arrested for stealing, I suggest you take off that shirt first."

        He rolled his eyes, "I was going to."

        "Mhm." Her eyes twinkled mischievously. "I do really want you to try a few other things before we go though."

        "This is terrible. I'm never going to do this again." he whined.

        "Oh please." she waved her hand. "You can try on stuff you want too, you know. It's your chance to shop for something not a monochrome color."

        "I have more than monochrome colors in my closet."

        Maia looked at him, unconvinced.

        Yoongi exhaled and turned to change, knowing he was digging his own grave.

        "I'm glad you came." She spoke as he was putting on the next ridiculous outfit she had put together.

        "So you have a Barbie to dress?" he answered.

        "No...I was worried that it'd be awkward. But it's actually turning out to be a fun outing." She admitted.

        Yoongi frowned. "You know it's me and not you, right?"

        "It's a little of us both." She laughed.

        "We're an interesting pair, I guess."

        "That we are." she hummed.

        "So...what's the next few weeks schedule looking like?" he questioned, once again plagued by Tae's assumption of her leaving her current position.

        "Busy. I might not be around as often so I'm glad I can actually see how these outfits will sit on you." She stated nonchalantly. "I saw some stuff I want to check out. I'll be right back."

        Yoongi frowned, unsettled by her response. Was she really being reassigned? Was it because of him?

        A few minutes later, she handed him much more legitimate outfits to try on. He actually liked the fit and style, making a mental note to buy it after he was done performing in them. Time flew by as they fooled around. She made him perform some of their dances to see if the clothes weren't too tight and wouldn't constrict his movements. At first he was reluctant, but eventually got comfortable enough to be silly. They were so engrossed that they didn't realize how much time passed until the other coordis returned.

        "Oh shoot. We didn't see the other stores." Yoongi worriedly glanced at Maia.

        She chuckled, "Don't worry. I already ordered them early and they're at home."

        "Then what was this for?" Yoongi raised an eyebrow.

        She shrugged. "Extra outfits for when you're feeling like being annoying and I need a back up?"

        The other coordis glanced at each other.

        "None of them drive either so yeah..." She mentioned as she grabbed some bags from the coordis kindly. "Let's go?"

        Yoongi's lips curled up, realizing she was trying, in her own way, to be accepted by the others. If she was trying this hard, did that mean she wasn't actually leaving?

 


        True to her word though, Maia was around less frequently in the next few weeks, and all the members were growing restless with her absence. She would also pass up studio duty and Jungkook's offers of practicing choreography with her. They would only see her as she drove them to and from schedules, and on occasion, monitoring their stages. But she didn't stay for long, always rushing elsewhere. Were they just making a transition?

        Yoongi was fighting back his urge to lash out at someone else doing his make-up, but it wasn't working too well, having grown accustomed to Maia's technique. Although he knew Maia had instructed them on his preferences, as he observed from them checking their phone nervously before doing anything to his face, it wasn't the same. He couldn't sleep while he got his make-up and hair done, which left him infinitely more cranky than usual.

          On one particular day, she waltzed into their practice room, as bright and vibrant as usual.

        "Hi! Just checking in on you guys!"

        She was greeted with warm hugs and lots of yelling.

        "What're you doing here?" Jungkook smiled.

        "Oh the CEO asked to talk to me so I'm on my way there." She laughed. "I heard the music so I hoped you'd all be here practicing."

        She glanced at Yoongi, who avoided eye contact, knowing she was taking a jab at him.

        The members started nudging each other. They had had a group meeting just earlier, and decided that they should all confront Maia about the situation they overheard and express their own sentiments and opinions on the matter. But they never designated who would bring it up. They tried to push the other to say something first, but no one knew how to.

        Yoongi exhaled and tugged at Maia's ponytail.

        "Ah! What?" She glared at him.

        "Stay." he stated.

        "What?" Maia blinked.

        "I - You're a decent manager...so stay...stay as our manager..." He confessed and was met with her blank expression. "It'll be a pain to get someone that more than you!"

        The other boys shook their heads at his terrible attempt to convince her.

        "What're you talking about? Are you trying to start a fight or compliment me?" Maia questioned.

        "I'm telling you not to go to anyone else and stay with me!" Yoongi blurted out.

        Maia turned red, and everyone gasped at his confession.

        Yoongi realized what his statement sounded like and he got immediately got flustered, "I mean as my manager."

        He looked away, trying to save face. This was why he never should talk about his feelings.

        "Wait. Where am I going? Why wouldn't I be your manager still?" Maia looked around, confused. "What's going on?"

        "I heard you talking to Changmin hyungnim about being his manager instead." Taehyung admitted.

        "I know we're a handful, but we really like you noona." Jimin frowned.

        "Don't leave us!" J-Hope clutched his heart dramatically.

        Maia took a good look at the boys and laughed, causing them to look at each other, quizzically.

        "I'm not going anywhere!" she breathed. "Changmin's manager's wife is just about to have a baby, so I was filling in as their temporary manager when he has to tend to his wife and kids. I'm still your manager."

        Yoongi felt his cheeks warm and his first instinct was to run and lock himself in the studio. But Maia glanced at him then around to the others and grinned, "I'm glad I mean so much to everyone. And I wouldn't dare leave you guys. I like you all too much already, and besides, I've worked so hard to get here," She and Yoongi eyed each other. "so I won't give this spot up so easily."

        "Group hug!" Taehyung cheered.

        "Wh-wha?" Maia blushed as 7 bodies crowded around her.

        Yoongi squirmed, having been pulled in by Jimin and Jin into the huddle. He was right against the side of her body uncomfortably, forced to watch her laugh and her cheeks turn a shade of pink in the center.

        In the cover of their arms and yelling, he allowed himself to smile slightly, relieved that she wasn't going anywhere just yet.