Chapter 14: Sweat It

Don't Judge Sweet & Sour

        "Noona, noona!" Jimin hurried into the practice room as Maia was taking a break from dancing.

        "What is it?" she asked worriedly as the others soon followed.

        "Play basketball with us." Jimin chuckled as he squatted down to her level on the floor.

        She blinked at him, confused.

        "Basketball?"

        "Yeah. We're going to go have fun and play a bit around the Han River. Namjoon hyung is working so we need one more person to make even teams... sooo we want you to come with us!" Jimin urged.

        "Yeah, noona! Join us! The weather's nice outside ~" Taehyung slid on his stomach towards her playfully and made a cute face.

        Maia laughed, unable to resist their appeals. "Well I guess I can't turn that down."

        Jungkook grinned widely as he watched Jimin and Taehyung cheer excitedly.

        "Where exactly do you think you're going?"

        A single voice caused everyone to freeze where they were. Maia stood up defiantly and glanced towards Yoongi leaning against the doorway.

        "The Han River. Is there a problem?" she answered.

        "I think it'll be a problem if you aren't doing your job." Yoongi replied, his arms crossed in front of him.

        "Well I can call in a babysitter if that's what you want." Maia shrugged nonchalantly as she walked towards him.

        The members jeered at her retort. "OOooooooOOO!!"

        Yoongi glared at them, silencing them immediately.

        He grumbled as he tried to find a comeback but Maia was already in front of him with a smirk on her face.

        "Or...." she tapped the headphones around his neck. "... you can stop being cooped up in your studio for once and let me cream you in basketball."

        Yoongi stared at her, surprised.

        "Oh no, Maia." the others groaned. "Don't challenge him to basketball! Anything but that!"

        "Eh? Why?" she turned around.

        "Have it your way then." He grinned mischievously as he grabbed the water bottle in her hand playfully. "Let's go play some basketball."

        He gestured for everyone to follow his lead smugly as he walked out of the room.

        "Ahh..." Maia laughed nervously, glancing over at Jungkook who chuckled and shook his head.

        "Let's go?" he called her over and she scurried to follow the others out.

        "Is he really that good?" Maia whispered as Jungkook closed the door behind her.

        He smiled and nodded.

        "Oh no. He's never going to let me live this down." she groaned.

        Jungkook laughed and patted her back. "Don't worry. With your skills, you can totally take him down."      

        "Are takedowns legal in basketball?" Maia looked at him questioningly.

        "In our version, it could be." Jungkook giggled and Maia grinned.

        "I like the way you think." she gave him a thumbs up.

        "Noona! Jungkook-ah! Hurry up!" Taehyung bellowed.

        "Let's catch up?" Jungkook suggested.

        Maia nodded and they scurried to fall into step with the others chattering away excitedly.

~

        "Okay so since she dragged me out here and challenged me, we'll be team captains." Yoongi suggested. "And loser has to do whatever the winner decides as punishment. Call?"

        Maia didn't want to back down so she nodded. "Fine."

        "Rock, paper, scissors, go!" Yoongi yelled excitedly, trying to catch her off guard and Maia instinctively threw out scissors.

        She squealed excitedly as she realized she won. Yoongi huffed at the loss.

        "I pick Jungkook-ah!" she called out.

        Jungkook smiled shyly, delighted that he was chosen first. Yoongi pursed his lips, irritated. Everybody knew that next to him, Jungkook was the next best player at basketball. But he figured it would make the game more interesting if his team wasn't too powerful.

        "Jimin-ah, get over here." Yoongi chose and Jimin obediently stood beside him.

        Jin stepped back, feeling the intense atmosphere already. "I'll be the referee since there's an uneven amount of people. I'd rather not get my beautiful face injured today."

        Maia chuckled and looked to Jungkook for help on who she should choose out of the two left.

        "Hoseok hyung." he whispered.

        "Hobi, Hobi ~" she cheered and Hoseok cheered enthusiastically about not being chosen last and not being on Yoongi's team.

        Taehyung pointed at Jungkook, pretending to be angry. "I heard that Jungkook-ah."

        Jungkook giggled at his hyung's acting.

        "I'm really going to show you no mercy today." Tae threatened playfully.

        "Just get over here Kim Taehyung." Yoongi snapped and Taehyung pouted, marching towards Jimin. "Let's see how you'll cream me, hm Maia?"

        "Alright, no foul playing. I want no injuries or so help me, I will not stand still. You hear me Yoongi?" Jin scolded.

        "Why're you talking to just me? She's the martial artist!" Yoongi complained, pointing his finger towards Maia childishly.

        "Cause you have that mischievous look in your eye and she doesn't. I want you all to play fair." Jin looked at both of the captains sternly.

        Yoongi and Maia gazed down timidly, "Okay..."

        "Good. So everyone, let's have fun!" he cheered.

        "Woohoo!" Hoseok and Taehyung screamed excitedly.

        "Let's do this." Yoongi smirked as he and Jungkook stepped forward to see which team would get the ball.

        Jin held the basketball and tossed it up. Yoongi sprung up but was no match for the maknae's height and agility. Jungkook tapped the ball towards Maia and she hurriedly dribbled it towards the basket as Jimin giggled, trying to mark her playfully.

        Taehyung and Hoseok were fighting to be open near the basket as Jungkook sprinted faster than Yoongi had anticipated. Maia caught his eye and passed Jungkook the ball quickly. Jungkook jumped and slammed the ball into the basket happily.

        "WOOOOOOOO!" Hoseok and Maia screeched and ran to smack Jungkook enthusiastically.

        The maknae grinned shyly and welcomed the praises.

        "JIMIN! You could've stopped that!" Yoongi argued.

        "Well you were the one in charge of blocking Jungkook, hyung. YOU could've stopped it." Jimin retorted.

        "Ooooo." the other guys encouraged Jimin's reponse.

        "Just stay on your toes." Yoongi clicked his tongue in annoyance.

        Maia felt apologetic that the game that was supposed to be fun seemed so tense.

        "Is this really alright?" she questioned to Jungkook and Hoseok. "I feel bad for the other two."

        "Don't worry." Hoseok stated. "Those kids won't take it lying down. We'll just have fun in a different way."

        "Yeah, we still have to win." Jungkook nodded. "If he annoys them enough, they'll play terribly on purpose."

        "Even though none of us are actually good." Hoseok snickered.

        Maia chuckled and felt a little less guilt-ridden.

        "Don't get smug just because you've got the lead." Yoongi stood in front of Maia, now taking charge of blocking her.

        "Stop being a sore loser and just accept your punishment then." Maia jeered.

         "Pfft." he snorted and rolled his eyes. "Don't get cocky."

        He shoved her with his back as Jungkook dribbled towards them and she fell on her , stunned. Hurriedly, he stole the ball from the maknae and turned the direction around, making a basket quickly. Maia huffed and Jungkook easily helped pull her up from the ground.

        "You okay?" he checked her body worriedly.

        "Yeah." she chuckled. "I see how he's going to play it."

        Jungkook realized they were holding hands and he quickly retracted his, flustered. Maia smirked as she watched Yoongi cheering excitedly.

        "Kook-ah." she called.

        "Hm?" Jungkook raised his gaze, still a bit warm from touching her hand so boldly.

        "I'm going to get real serious now." she grinned.

        He smiled back and gave her a nod of approval. Yoongi smugly shrugged towards Maia and Jungkook as they resumed the match. This time, Maia shoved him back as she snatched the ball. Jungkook and Hoseok blocked Jimin and Taehyung who weren't really putting up much of a fight considering they were curious to see how well Maia would do.

        "She takes the ball and shoots a 3-pointer annnndddd ...." Jin commentates as they watched the ball fly through the air and perfectly landing through the hoop.

        "YEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!" the other guys cheered as Yoongi dusted himself off, annoyed at being given a taste of his own tactic.

        Maia turned and stuck her tongue out tauntingly. "How'd you like that Min Yoongi?"

        Yoongi made a face at her, since he had no witty comeback to return. He was heated; he thought it'd be an easily decided match but they were actually putting up a good fight. He watched as Jungkook and Hoseok ruffled her hair and gave her high fives proudly. His own team members Taehyung and Jimin were also taking part in the compliments and awe.

        "Yah!" Yoongi called attention back to himself. "Don't get so worked up over a few points like you won. Let's get this game going!"

        "Look, he's being salty." Maia teased as the others giggled at her joke.

        Yoongi rolled his eyes. "How original."

        "Alright. Resuming the match!" Jin called, trying to break up the verbal match that might ensue before it was too late.

        The game was close, alternating who got points and the other team catching up as fast as the other scored. It was a tie at the end so they decided to play overtime. Jin set the stopwatch for 2 minutes and watched the teams rally for control of the ball. Everyone was drenched in sweat and heaving, heaviness hanging in the air. Jin observed anxiously as the ball continually changed owners and knew that time was ticking.

        "30 SECONDS." he cried out.

        Yoongi watched Hoseok pass the ball to Maia, who positioned close to the basket, and he zoomed towards her, intercepting the ball and knocking her back roughly. Luckily, Jungkook was nearby and foresaw the events so he hurried over and steadied her by the waist before she hit the cement. Yoongi grinned as he jumped and aimed for his team's basket on the opposite side confidently.

        It circled the rim and fell through the hoop successfully just as Jin yelled, "TIME!"

        Yoongi began dancing excitedly as Jungkook and Maia glared at him. She straightened herself up from leaning against Jungkook.

        "Thanks... and sorry I didn't get the ball quick enough." Maia sighed.

        "Nah. That was a dirty play." Jungkook stated, not caring that his hyung had given him a disapproving look for his truthful comment.

        "Good game Mai-Mai." Taehyung ran over grinning happily. "It's been awhile since we've all played so fiercely. It was fun!"

        "Yeah, even Yoongi hyung was enjoying himself." Jimin teased.

        "I wasn't!" Yoongi snapped.

        "Hyung, you were totally grinning the whole time and I've never seen you so active!" Hoseok pointed out. "Just admit you had fun!"

        "What's going to be MORE fun --"

        "Ha! So you admit you had fun!" Maia grinned widely and pointed at Yoongi.

        Yoongi grabbed her finger tightly and finished his sentence, "-- is your punishment of running a lap around the entire Han River."

        "What?!" Jin stepped in. "Yoongi don't be ridiculous."

        Yoongi huffed. "Fine, just go to the end of this trail. That's like a quarter of the run so do four laps of that."

        "Yoongi!" Jin scolded.

        "It's fine." Maia placed a hand on Jin's shoulder. "I lost so I accept the punishment. Make sure you guys get back safely."

        She grabbed her water bottle and began her jog. The other guys glared and shook their heads at Yoongi, disappointed.

        "What? Just cause she's a girl doesn't mean I'm going to go easy. She's tough. Don't give me those looks." he snapped his towel and walked away.

        "If I run too, will you cut her laps in half?" Jungkook called out.

        Everyone's eyes widened at his offer.

        "What?" Yoongi turned around. "You would run too?"

        "Well I was partly responsible, being on her team. Plus I like running and exercising even when I'm tired." Jungkook shrugged, trying to play it cool but his heart was thumping against his chest, hoping his hyungs wouldn't catch onto his feelings.

        "Fine. If you want to torture yourself like that with that girl, you two can do two laps each." Yoongi smirked.

        "I'll catch you guys later then." Jungkook began jogging towards Maia without hesitation.

        His teammates watched him curiously as he caught up to her in no time and nudged her. She panicked a bit out of surprise then laughed, shoving him in return playfully.

        "What's up with those two?" Yoongi questioned.

        "What do you mean?" Jimin asked.

        "I dunno. They just seem...close?" Yoongi squinted as he continued watching them.

        Jungkook guided Maia towards the outside of the sidewalk while he placed himself closer to the center where other runners and cyclists were going in the opposite direction.

        "Well I mean, I think they knew each other before she auditioned." Jin shrugged. "Cause he recognized her when she came in and even conversed with her."

        "Well she's also Big Bang's manager's daughter..." Taehyung blurted out nonchalantly.

        The other band members, other than Yoongi who Maia had already confided in, stared at Taehyung. He glanced back at them confused. "What?"

        "She's WHAT?" they shouted.

        Taehyung popped a lollipop into his mouth. "Big Bang's manager's daughter...duh?"

        "Still doesn't make sense... but I guess it doesn't matter." Yoongi shrugged, turning around to head back. "See ya later."

        "Bye!" the others waved then glanced at each other, shocked.

        "Wait, did Yoongi hyung just say bye to us...nicely?" Taehyung inquired.

        "Oh stop being dramatic." Jin chuckled, but on the inside, he was welling up with pride at how big of a step this was.

        "But Jin hyung, this is HUGE!" Jimin gasped. "First, he played basketball with us and like at first it was rough cause he kept yelling at me and Tae but somewhere in the middle, he was just...his old self...you know?"

        "I know Jimin." Jin patted his back. "Change takes time so we just have to be patient."

        "Well I had a lot of fun today." Hoseok grinned. "I'm sad Namjoon couldn't join us. It'd be great to have the gang hangout all together again outside of work."

        The others agreed wholeheartedly.

~

        Jungkook watched as Maia soon became out of breath beside him.

        "Hey, I'm getting tired. Let's take a breather." he suggested.

        "Oh?" Maia looked up at him, clearly exhausted and not in her right mind.

        "Let's take a break." he pointed at a nearby playground.

        Maia glanced at him questioningly, skeptical of whether he was tired or not. Jungkook hurriedly slumped his body over and groaned dramatically, causing Maia to chuckle and smack him lightly.

        "Sounds good." she gave in, knowing her tiredness was obvious.

        "I call the first slide down!" Jungkook squeaked and scurried to the slide that seemed tinier once he climbed onto it.

        Maia giggled and followed him.

        "We'll play a little then continue." she stated.

        "Well we don't HAVE to." Jungkook grinned, exposing his bunny teeth.

        She raised an eyebrow inquisitively.

        "Yoongi hyung never said WHEN to finish the laps."

        "Oooo I like how you think Jeon Jungkook." she smirked and nudged him. "Another good idea."

        He giggled and slid down the slide with ease. After climbing the monkey bars, racing up the slide, and turning the playground into an obstacle course race, they settled into the swings to relax. The sun was beginning to set over the Han River in front them and Jungkook smiled contently that he was able to witness the beautiful sight with Maia.

        "Wahhh..." she marveled at it. "It's been awhile since I've seen a sunset."

        "Right?" he chuckled as he swung himself lightly back and forth.

        "Hey isn't that Jungkook?" they began hearing whispers as more people filled the area.

        Maia looked down shyly. "We should head --"

        Jungkook got up after putting his hood up and a mask on, positioning himself behind Maia.

        "Nah." he grabbed the chains of her swing and began pushing her gently. Maia giggled.

        "I didn't take you for the rebellious type."

        "You'd be surprised." Jungkook tried his best to sound confident, considering he really was not at all rebellious. Just something about being with her made him bolder. He could push any boundary if it meant spending a longer time with her.

        "You're going to get in trouble with your fans." she whispered.

        "Don't worry. I'll take care of it." he assured. "I want to enjoy the weather a little more."

        Maia nodded, not wanting to leave yet either.

        "I'm glad you and hyung have calmed down." Jungkook mentioned, partially wanting to know what was going on with them.

        She chuckled. "I guess you could put it that way. We've just come to a delicate truce."

        Jungkook nodded, not wanting to press further, nervous to expose his growing jealousy at how much time they spent together. He continued to push her swing as they watched the sky change colors, which was gorgeously mirrored onto the water. They remained comfortably silent for a few minutes.

        "Thanks for everything, Jungkook-ah." Maia suddenly stated.  

        Jungkook stopped the swing, surprised and simply stared at her back until she turned her head. He quickly averted his eyes, flustered.

        "F-for what?" he stuttered, mentally kicking himself for doing so.

        "Well you were my first non-labelmate idol friend." Maia twisted the swing around so she could face him. "And you've done so much for me already."

        Jungkook swallowed, trying to calm his emotions down. "I-it's really nothing."

        "Getting me into Big Hit and getting me dance instruction videos from the dance instructor is definitely not nothing." she shook her head disapprovingly then she gasped, getting an idea. "Wanna go for lamb skewers?"

        Jungkook's eyes widened at the suggestion and he couldn't contain the huge grin that formed on his face.

        "Ahh I knew it!" she clapped her hands. "That's your weakness!"

        Jungkook hadn't had it in a long time, considering Yoongi had shut himself out from everyone. He couldn't hide his excitement at the thought of being able to eat his favorite dish again.

        "Let's go, go. I'll treat you ~" she grinned, untwisting herself and hopping out of the swing.

        "Wait." he clutched onto her jacket lightly as he took out his phone.

        "Hm?"

        "Selca." he grinned.

        "Eh??" Maia looked at him, surprised. "Me?"

        "We don't have one, and I'm going to explain this to my fans." he grinned as he positioned the phone at a good angle.

        Maia made sure she wasn't too close and smiled beside him.

        "What're you going to say?"

        "It's a secret ~" Jungkook sang. "I'll race you back, Mai-Mai!"

        Without warning, he sprinted ahead to hide his happiness.

        "Yah! I don't know where this place is!" Maia called after him and hurried to catch up to the athletic maknae.

~

        "Where have you been?" Yoongi finally found Maia back in the dance practice room, lying down lazily.

        "I was doing YOUR punishment." Maia sassed.

        "I highly doubt it took you this long?" he rolled his eyes.

        "Well I got hungry so I got food." Maia slid a plastic bag towards Yoongi. "You're welcome."

        "What the hell is this?"

        "It's food." Maia rolled over onto her stomach to glance at him. "One of your favorites apparently."

        "What?" Yoongi bent down and picked it up curiously. He was surprised to find that it was in fact one of his favorite dishes, but he didn't like the smug grin she was wearing on her face. "It's not that it's my favorite. I just don't hate it."

        "Well either way, you're welcome." Maia closed her eyes and tried to meld into the floor, dozing off immediately.

        Yoongi watched her curiously and realized she had fallen asleep. He exhaled, shaking his head.

        "Really, where has this girl been?" he muttered to himself as he brought the food back to his studio.

        He had felt partially guilty after s were off-handedly making comments about how hard she worked and practiced every day and to have to do that sort of extreme punishment. So he checked every so often, waiting for her to return. Staring at the food, guilt filled him up once again. He glanced over at the blanket he had on his couch and grabbed it, running back to the practice room. Kneeling down quietly, he covered her body with his plush throw blanket gently. His phone made the Twitter sound and he stepped back cautiously, ready to make a run for it if she was waking up.

        But she didn't.

        Curiously, he opened up the notification and found a picture of her and Jungkook posted on their group's Twitter. Squinting, he read the caption:

        "Thank you, thank you Manager Mai-noona who has been supporting us so well ~ Because of you, I got to spend the day well and relaxingly! I hope you did too, Armys! We'll be back soon! Wait for us!"  

        Yoongi scoffed and pulled the blanket roughly off of Maia, irritated for some reason. He stalked back into his studio and began eating the lamb skewers heatedly.

        Meanwhile, Jungkook was back in the dorm, curled up in his bed, grinning widely to himself as he stared at the picture they had taken. Silently, he made an oath to himself that he would keep making memories with her starting from today onward.


A/N: Be still my heart for BTS's oncoming comeback xP I was infired by the BTS x Bog Sock Puma commercials to do a chapter about BTS being sporty haha the next chapter will have mini-scenes with each BTS member that's not a main character so I'm excited to write it! I've been working on it here and there but haven't finished everyone's yet. Look forward to it! Stay well everyone and thanks as always for reading :)