Chapter 17: Danger

Don't Judge Sweet & Sour

        "Hey, Mai-Mai. You're light right? Can you step on my back?" Jin asked.

        "I um wouldn't say I'm light..." she mumbled.

        "My back really hurts. Can you?" Jin pleaded, making his eyes wide for the full puppy effect.

        "Um sure...but I might crush you..." She worried, but Jin just laughed and sprawled on the ground ecstatically.

        "Please and thank you ~" He sang lightly.

        Maia slipped out of her shoes and warily stepped on Jin's back.

        "Perfect." He exhaled.

        She wobbled, about to stumble off, but was hurriedly steadied by a firm hand holding hers. Surprised, she glanced at Jungkook smiling shyly beside her.

        "I got you." He reassured.

        "Thanks." She smiled as she reached for Jungkook's other one to fully capture her balance.

        Jungkook squeezed her hand tightly to make sure she didn't fall, smiling at her worried, yet concentrated expression as she tried her best not to hurt Jin.

        "I want a massage too!" Hoseok raised his hand.

        Jin hummed contently as Maia stepped off of him. And due to Jin's sudden movement to get up, she was lunged forward into Jungkook.

        The younger inhaled, as their bodies touched, their hands still locked.

        "My turn!" Hoseok immediately took Jin's spot next.

        Maia looked up and smiled at Jungkook. "You don't mind holding on for a little longer do you?"

        At a loss for words, he shook his head frantically while looking up, at anyone but her. He continued to be her support as she massaged the other members, trying his best to stifle the threat of his heart and head exploding right then and there.

        "Maia. Can you pick up something for me?" Manager Sejin walked into the room, unfazed by whatever was happening. "Go with JK's stylist. She needs to get something too."

        "Sure." She hopped off and let go of Jungkook's hands. And without another word, she hurried out of the room, despite the complaints of needing a massage still from some of the unattended members.

        Jungkook glanced down at his fingers, still tingling with her skin on his, then at the door she had just disappeared through. His lips curled up timidly before he returned his attention to the others.

 


        Maia hummed as she strolled back to her van with the documents the manager had asked her to grab, and Jungkook's stylist also rushed in with a few accessories she had forgotten. Without a problem, they got back on the road. But suddenly, Maia was overcome with a bad feeling at the pit of her stomach as he noticed something odd. She glanced at her rear view mirror frequently, but despite making some unnecessary lane switches and turns, the same car was still behind her.

        They were being followed.

        "Can you call Manager Sejin?" She instructed the stylist. "Tell him there's a car following us and to call the police to the broadcasting station."

        "Wh-what?" She nervously asked.

        "Please." Maia urged.

        Hurriedly, the stylist fumbled for her phone, doing as she was told.

        "Maia, are you sure?" Sejin spoke through the speaker, concerned.

        "I'm sure. I've made ridiculous turns to try to lose them, but they're still on my tail." she stated.

        "The police have been notified. But what're you going to do?"

        "I'm going to pull up in front of the broadcasting station, and I want you to get out as fast as you can." She told the stylist. "Get your camera ready to tape a video so just in case they get away, you get their license plate."

        "I --but you--"

        She smiled warmly. "I'll be okay. We don't know what this person's aim is just yet."

        "The police are here, Maia." Sejin confirmed. "They know your situation. I gave them your location."

        "We're almost at the station then."

        Hurriedly, she parked in front of the station and as planned, the stylist jumped out, already recording with her cell phone. In no time, the car slammed into the back of the van at full force, propelling the vehicle forward. The stylist screeched at what she was witnessing. Another car that seemingly had been parked, followed suit and crashed into Maia's van from the front, sandwiching her. The windows shattered from the impact, and all Maia could do was shut her eyes and brace herself. The cars backed up and attempted to make a get away, but the police were at the scene within a few seconds.

 


        "Where is this girl?" Yoongi complained as his legs bounced impatiently.

        He was obediently in his make-up chair at the time Maia had messaged him to be ready, but she wasn't there, even though her kit was already set up as usual. Another few minutes passed and he was about to get up and look for her angrily when he heard the door knob turn.

        "WHERE IN THE WORLD--" he started yelling, but fell silent as he saw the state she was in. "Mai..."

        "Sorry I'm late." She laughed nervously as she approached the mirror.

        "Mai...what happened?" He tried to stand up, but her firm hand pushed him back into the chair.

        "Just stay still." She whispered.

        He studied the gashes on her face and spotted her hands trembling as she fiddled with her brushes and palettes.

        "Mai, you're shaking." He commented. "What happened to you?"

        On cue, Manager Sejin burst into the room, answering his question. "Maia, you should be resting! What're you doing here? You were just in an accident!"

        Yoongi's eyes snapped from Sejin immediately to Maia.

        "She what?!"

        "They found that the attackers were two crazed self-proclaimed fans, trying to get rid of her." Sejin explained.

        Maia remained silent as she struggled to open up her palette, "I'll rest after I finish his make-up."

        "Someone else can do it for once." Manager Sejin glanced at Yoongi pleadingly.

        "You know how particular he is. I'm fine." She mumbled.

        Yoongi opened his mouth, "I --"

        Maia glared at him.

        Sejin exhaled, knowing he wasn't going to convince her. "Fine, but rest right after. Please?"

        Maia nodded, and they were left alone in the room once more.

        "Mai." Yoongi reached out to touch her cheek. "You're bleeding."

        "Am I?" She said half-heartedly.

        He covered her hands with his. "And you're shaking still. Mai, let me go to someone else for make-up. I can it up for once."

        "No. Let me ...just." She closed her eyes, her voice wavering. "Let me just do it. It helps me calm down okay?"

        Yoongi stared at her in contemplation but he couldn't disregard the sincerity and desperation in her expression, so he grabbed the palette from her hand, helping her open it with ease. She smiled at him gratefully, picking up her brush. Leaning forward, her hands continued to shake as she attempted to swipe eye shadow on his eyelids.

        "Ah ." She cursed, frustrated at her body.

        He saw her eyes watering and his body moved instinctively. Yoongi grabbed her arm and pulled her forward, hugging her tightly.

        "Thank you for coming back in one piece. And... I'm sorry." He whispered.

        Maia burst into tears, and Yoongi stood up to fully envelop her in his chest, letting her cry.

        Jungkook hurriedly barged in after hearing the news from his stylist and happened upon the scene. His heart wrenched at witnessing Maia sobbing, and he wished there was more he could do. He stepped out sadly. He had run immediately to her after hearing the news, but what had he expected to do for her?

        After his make-up was done, Yoongi wordlessly slipped out of the room, knowing Maia needed space.

        On the other hand, waiting patiently, Jungkook finally saw his opportunity and scurried into the room with alcohol and cotton to sterilize her wounds. It was the only thing he could think of to help.

        "Jungkook?" She sniffled as she looked up, her eyes red and puffy.

        He held up his kit with a weak smile, hoping it'd be a reasonable enough excuse to be with her at this moment. She smiled thankfully and shifted over to give him space on the couch. Jungkook sat beside her and began pouring alcohol onto the cotton balls.

        "You cried, hm?" he teased.

        "Why? Do I look ugly now?" She chuckled.

        "You never look ugly."

        Maia chuckled and rolled her eyes. "Thanks for the pep talk."

        "I'm serious." Jungkook whispered.

        Maia blushed.

        Jungkook studied her face intently, "You definitely look pretty right now."

        She averted her eyes, "Yeah right. With my battle scar?"

        "It makes you prettier." He grinned, not knowing where he got all this confidence. But he knew that he would say and do just about anything to brighten her mood.

        Maia smiled warmly, "Thanks, Jungkook."

        They fell into an awkward silence, both timid and embarrassed.

        After awhile, Maia noticed Jungkook tightening his fist and tensing up. She looked up at him; he was in deep, concentrated thought. "What's wrong?"

        "I'm just upset."

        "Why?"

        "What did you do to deserve this?"

        Maia smiled sadly and looked down at her hands, "I'm just glad it wasn't any of you guys."

        "Stop it." Jungkook grabbed her hand, earning her attention. He was glaring at her angrily. "Regardless of being famous or not, you're important. Just because we're known doesn't mean we're any better."

        She blinked at him taken aback.

        "You're valuable to me okay!" He bellowed and looked pained.

        Maia blushed. "Jungkook?"

        He exhaled and ran his hands exasperatedly through his hair. "Just. Next time...tell me you're leaving. Let me say goodbye properly. But I really wish you would stop putting yourself in danger in order to save us."

        Maia nodded timidly, unused to this side of Jungkook.

        "Don't go anywhere without us anymore." He pleaded firmly.

        She chuckled, "I'm pretty sure it's the other way around."

        Jungkook's lips curled up, "I don't mind that."

        Maia grinned and fixed his hair, "I'm safe now, and I feel better thanks to you. Just do well on stage and don't mention it to the ARMYs, okay? It's not their fault. And I don't consider someone who would do that one of them."

        Jungkook nodded understandably, "I can keep the secret... but I don't think Suga-hyung can. He's already interrogating the staff outside."

        "Is he?" Maia laughed incredulously.

        "You know him." he shrugged, happy to see that Maia's mood was much better than when he came in.

        "Thank you." She held his hand warmly. "Go practice now, Kookie."

        "Mhm, get some rest."

 


        Once their performance ended and she was fast asleep, Yoongi snuck back into the room holding a cute character band-aid in his grasp. Gently, he placed the band-aid on the large cut on her cheek, and he allowed his fingers to trace the outline of her face forlornly. He had overheard her conversation with Jungkook, and it filled him with a lot of thoughts and emotions.  

        "I don't know what I would've done either...if I didn't get to say bye...if it had been our fault and you got seriously hurt." He whispered. "I didn't even know where you were like a fool. But... thank you for coming to me first."

        He leaned forward, moving closer to her face, and then gasped, realizing his own actions. Hurriedly, he stepped back, putting some distance between him. His heart was racing. What was his body doing on its own?

        The door opened and Yoongi scrambled away, flying into his chair to act nonchalantly. It must've not been completely convincing since he was met with Jungkook's curious stare.

        "We're going to take her home Manager Sejin said." He commented.

        "Oh okay." Yoongi nodded, still trying to calm himself.

        Jungkook squinted his eyes at Yoongi for a few more seconds before walking over and easily scooping up Maia in his arms. Yoongi bit his lip in annoyance at Jungkook's display of strength.

        "I could've done that." he mumbled.

       Jungkook heard and fought back a chuckle, knowing full well his hyung wouldn't have been able to. He pulled Maia closer to his chest, savoring the feeling of her in his arms with him being able to protect her for once.