Twenty-Three

Still The Same
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Our names were still hot on people’s tongues.

 

We were still the talk of the town—but more like the entire world.

 

It was amazing to me how the matter started off in the southern part of the Korean peninsula and spread to the rest of the world.

 

We were now getting loads of encouragement from international artists. American singers gladly expressed their support on Twitter and Instagram. Halsey sunbae-nim, Lady Gaga sunbae-nim, Taylor Swift sunbae-nim—these were just four of the many names that defended us from our critics.

 

Though none of our fellow K-pop idols had openly spoken about us, for fear of the obvious reasons, we did get a bunch of personal messages saying how proud they were of us for believing in what was right and for following our hearts.

 

Not many could’ve done what we had done, they said.

 

The warmth was truly overwhelming and somehow it surpassed everyone else’s aversion of the matter.

 

And I hoped that maybe these close-minded individuals would eventually open up to the idea of two people, of the same , being brought together by love.

 

JYP Entertainment had stayed mum about our press conference. They didn’t say anything, even about how the girls were not planning on signing again after what they had done to us.

 

A representative did come forward and told Dispatch how the company would be supporting whatever the group had aimed to do.

 

Apart from that, there was nothing else. I would guess it was an indication of defeat.

 

It was like JYJ and SM Entertainment all over again.

 

Now a week later, with the subject still ranking first on the trending topics in all of the sites, I was just chilling at home. Momo had left earlier to run some errands with Sana.

 

Who knew what it could’ve been for?

 

As I settled myself on the couch, I had gone to the kitchen and made a bowl of popcorn, my cell phone went off.

 

Given the current stature of our situation, I had expected it to be some annoying journalists or some sassaengs or my family or our friends. When I looked on the screen, it never struck me that the name would ever call again.

 

Him calling…

 

I hadn’t changed his name yet, I noticed for the first time.

 

I answered it and my tone was rather surprised.

 

“Hello? Hanbin?”

 

“Mina, I’m so glad you answered. I didn’t think you’d answer my call.”

 

He sounded…alright and well.

 

I remembered our last encounter at the MNet studio. If there was someone to not think the other wouldn’t answer the call, it would be me.

 

I turned my back right away after telling him I didn’t want to be friends with him. I did feel bad after that. It was quite awful of me.

 

“Oh,” I let out a faint laugh. “What can I do for you, Hanbin?”

 

“Listen,” his voice was stern. “You should’ve told me sooner, Mina.”

 

“About what?” I asked.

 

“Now I completely understand.”

 

It hit me that he was actually referring to why I broke up with him and why I was staying very far from him.

 

“Well,” I sighed. “Now you know, Hanbin. Surprise!”

 

He laughed. “I admire what you’re doing right now, Mina. You and your group. You have done what the rest of us couldn’t do.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter