Act 7 : Future

Good for you

 

« You can stay here unnie, as long as you need. My parents are working abroad and barely come home anyways. I just have a maid coming everyday, I guess you tagging along is good for the two of us. »

 

Awkwardly sitting on her chair, Whee In's first word of her new life suddenly came to her mind. Beyond embarrassed, Moonbyul was finally in front of her past, but wasn't sure if she was ready to the confrontation. However she knew she, somehow, had to finally make amends of herself.

 

She never expected, almost 3 years after the terrible night and its fight, to meet Solar again, at least not while doing shopping on a perfurme store. They almost knock into each other because they where too engrossed looking at the display of all the different kins of bottle, hundreds of shapes, colors and smells. After this, they agreed on speaking with one another, on a coffee shop nearby.

 

« So.. »

 

Solar's voice made Moonbyul's head looking at her. The younger girl refrained a smile, Solar turned into a beautiful young woman, nobody could deny it. She wondered if it was because she was outside or not, but she looked more feminine than ever, with that pretty floral dress and her hair tied in a ponytail.

 

« If I remember correctly Byulyi, you weren't into those kind of perfumes before. »

« Ah...it's..it's not for me, it's a gift actually, for Whee In.»

« Wheeny ? »

« Yes..you know unnie..Wheeny is my girlfriend now. »

« WHAT ?! I mean, really ? »

« Yes, in fact, our first anniversary is around the corner, that's why I was looking for a gift for her. »

 

 

Being at first her companion in misery, Whee In gradually became the pillar of Moonbyul new life. After the unfortunate night, she became depressed, guilt eating her alive. She couldn't believe what she had done, when and how her reason left her, to become the monster who almost destroy the life of 3 innocent souls.

She accepted Whee In's offer and lived with the high school student, in her excessive big house. Whee In's parents were important and busy people, who built a healthy and rich life, not minding to scatter their family apart.

But even with the cheerful young girl by her side, Moonbyul couldn't passed by her action and for the first 6 months, became an empty shell. She barely went to her classes or outside in general, lost her appetite and the taste of life. She tried, over and over again to understand how her love for Solar, the most purest and innocent feeling she had, turn into the venom who consumed her in the span of a month.

However, she tried to put an act whenever she was around Whee In, thinking that she bothered the younger girl enough for her lifetime and that she wanted to leave her out of her own issues. But Whee In saw through her and tried to bring back the old Moonbyul, without success. That's how one night, after 6 months of failure, she forced out of despair the older girl to follow her.

 

« A running field ? What are we doing here Whee In ? »

« What people does in a running field unnie ? Of course we're going to run for a while. »

« Wheeny..I don't have time for this, I have homework and- »

« Liar liar pants on Fire ! I know your schedule unnie, you have nothing to do. »

« Still, I need to- »

« Oh, are you afraid you're gonna lose a race against me ? »

« What ? »

« Well, you should after all, I mean, I'm training here regularly and you stayed at home being a busy emo, you don't have the endurance to win against me, Byulyi. »

 

Whee In knew she succeed on trapping Moonbyul. Triggering someone vanity always worked.

 

« Are you challenging me, Jung Whee In ? »

« Absolutely. And I'm making a bet, whoever lose will cook all meals for the next month. »

« Deal, let's go for 2 ground rounds ? »

« I'm in, but be ready to lose unnie. »

 

As she predicted, Whee In won the impromptu competition, being more used than Moonbyul for tack&field, She nagged the older girl during while running, challenging her to pass by her but in the end, the both of them were laughing once their night of exercise was over. Sitting on the cold and red floor of the stadium, Moonbyul realised that it was the first time in a while that her guilt, or the fight weren't in her mind. That was how she understood Whee In's true motive.

 

« Thank you Whee In. » 

« Oh, so you got it ? »

« Yeah...look like I'm bad at hiding my feeling right ? »

« You're a terrible liar unnie. »

« I bothered you enough, that why I said nothing, I'm just trying to...I don't even know what I'm trying to do Wheeny, to be honest, I'm lost, I don't know what to do, but that guilt...Why did I do that Whee In ? »

« Unnie...you need to stop blaming yourself it wont help. »

« But- »

« Okay listen to me. What is done is done. You can think about it all day, in the end it won't change a thing. You did something wrong, something aweful so now, assume your fault and its consequences unnie, and grow from it. You broke all contact with Yongsun unnie, and she probably still hates you, I think it's a punishment enough, you don't need to blame yourself on top of that. Instead, use you energy for other thing. »

« ..Like what ? »

« I don't know...you can run here until you're trained enough to beat me ? My father partly owns it, you can come here anytime. »

 

Moonbyul for the first time in a while genuinely smiled, after the younger girl's speech. It was strange, to have somebody else having more faith in her than herself, but Whee In's point of view had sense, more than her 6 months of forced grief. She felt even more thankful to the young girl after this night, and wondered how the overflowing beauty and cuteness of her friend could hide such a wise and mature person.

 


 

« Don't move like this oppa, I need to put that ointment on your nose »

« But that hurt ! »

« And it will hurt for a while if you don't let me treat it. »

 

Seeing Moonbyul after all this time was unexpected for Solar, but if she was honest with herself, it wasn't unwanted either. Over the years she often wondered how her used to be bestfriend was doing, but everytime, the memory of what she did came along. It hurt her deeply, so she tried to avoid thinking about her.

 

« I'm sorry oppa. »

« I told you Yongsun, it's not your fault, any of this. »

« Still, you're hurt and- »

« And, I'm lucky enough to have a lovely girlfriend willing to paint my face with that greasy ointment. »

 

Eric's comment made the brown hair girl smiled. She also decided to drop the subject. A week after the fight, Eric's nose was almost healed, but the ointment was a must, doctor's order.

 

« So Yongsun ah..have you taken you decision ? »

« I don't know oppa..I'm sure I don't wanna live in this apartment anymore, but moving in with you, don't you think we're rushing thing ? »

« I don't want you to feel pressured or anything, but it can be a temporary solution, until you find another place..I don't want my girlfriend to be homeless. »

 

Solar was touched, the man who claimed to love her, the one making her feel a whole new bunch of emotions surprised her more everyday. She knew she could trust him and she briefly kissed his cheek, after making her mind.

 

« Thank you oppa. And I'm taking the couch, no argument on that. »

 

« So you moved in with him ? »

« Yes, what should have been a temporally solution became permanent. In fact, my parents where against it at first after all, it was in the early stage of our relationship. But they felt safer once they met him. Of course at first, we had separates room. We change location too, once we came back from Atlanta. »

« Atlanta ? »

« His birth city. Well..it all begin a year and half ago, he got an 6 months internship there. »

« You followed him ? »

« Don't make it sound like I was a desperate girlfriend. In fact I could do a semester abroad, and I've been accepted in the school of business of CAU. »

« Wow, that's impressive unnie. »

« What was really impressive was to meet his parents you know ? We lived with them during those 6 months...but..what about you ? Did you graduated ? »

« I dropped university. »

« What ?! »

 

Moonbyul got a small smile seeing Solar shocked expression, same as her parents. For anybody, dropping a degree, especially an engineer one wasn't considered like a good choice, quite the contrary. However, this decision was one of the easiest she took in her life, as well as one of those she was the most proud of.

 

It all begun a year after the fight, while she was busy studying for her finals.

After her first race against Whee In, Moonbyul came back to her sense, went to classes again, and like her younger friend suggested to her, she used all her free time to run and soon, a lot of other sports like boxing or her personal favorite, badminton. It kept her mind busy from nasty thought and she quickly became addicted to her daily dose of sweat and exercise.

 

« What are you studying unnie ? »

 

Sitting leg crossed on the floor, facing her across the small table in the middle of the living room was her favorite dimple girl. Over the months, the both of them built tight bonds, something Moonbyul thought impossible after the fiasco of her last friendship. However, she knew friendly feelings weren't alone, not only she was aware of Whee In's feelings for her, but she also started to notice thing about her own behavior. Of course, she was grateful to Whee In, and showed it in every ways possible, but somewhere between their friendship and her thankful demeanor was hidden flirtatious comments and touches, as well as ambiguous conversation and never ending teasing.

 

They were voluntary beating around the bush, but Moonbyul somehow liked this trouble relationship, and anticipated every actions of the high school senior. Whee In on the other hand became more bold once she witness no rejection to her advance. The game they silently played interested her to no end, and couldn't wait to see the winner.

 

« Advanced arithmetic. »

« Wow, sound fun. »

« You can't imagine. »

« It might even be funnier than the movie I'm about to watch. »

« Jung Whee In, I hate you now. »

« I know you don't. »

« Of course, How could I hate my Jung Whee Ron ? »

« Tss, stop with that nickname, and close that book, you're watching the movie with me unnie. »

« And why would I ? Give me a reason. »

« I need a cuddling partner~ »

« Look at you, using aegyo to lure me...Turn the TV on, I'm on my way. »

 

Watching movies, drama, or any other thing wrapped around each other on the living sofa became a ritual for the two girls. The movie itself barely mattered, since they were looking for the whispering, chatting, random hugs or even kisses on the cheek that went along. In the end, what mattered the most was the time they spent together.

 

« Are you really enjoying your study unnie ? »

« Not at all, my parents choose it for me. »

« Then why are you continuing ? You know I'll go for art once highschool is over, even if my folks don't like it. »

« Look at you, rebellious kid. »

« That's why you like me. »

« This, and other things. »

« But really unnie, what do you really want to do ? »

« Well...I always dreamed about becoming a police officer. »

« You should do it then. »

« No way.. »

« Why ? It's your life, not your parents. They shouldn't choose for you. »

« Jung Whee In...how can you do that ? Everything seemed so obvious as soon as I speak with you. »

« I'm just stating the truth. »

 

Moonbyul broke their embrace and took her laptop on the small table before them.

 

« I should apply as soon as possible then. »

 

That's how a few weeks after, Moonbyul and Whee In stood in front of the Korean National Police University. Not minding her parents disapproval, the golden hair girl successfully got accepted, and was ready for a year of training. Being a police officer became more than just her dream, she found in this new challenge, a way to redeem herself, to finally feeling useful.

She held Whee In's hand tightly, as she was both excited to start her training and sad to leave the younger girl. The university was 2 hours away from Seoul and Whee In's soon to be university, but the rigor of her new challenge would reduce her time with her beloved dimple girl to the minimum, since she had to stay and lived there.

That's why before passing the gate she turned to face Whee In, and surprised her with a kiss on her lips. She was briefly shocked by the intensity when the latter kissed her back, but quickly relaxed, her heart finally feeling at peace.

After a few seconds, engraved in their memories forever, they didn't let go of each other, as their forehead were glued to one another.

 

« Wheeny.. »

« Yes, unnie ? »

« Date me once I'm out of it. »

« I thought you'll never ask. »

 

Looking straight in the younger girl beautiful eyes, Moonbyul smiled to the fullest, before greedily stealing another kiss. Their teasing game was over, and even if they had a year of break, Moonbyul knew her new found feelings for Whee In would only grow.

 

 

« So, you're a police officer now ? »

« Yup. I'm off today, but I am. »

« That's why you dye your hair back to black ? » 

« Being a woman is already tough in this job, black hair kinda help. »

« I see...so, did you date Whee In once you graduated from the academy ? »

« I ask her to be my girlfriend as soon as I saw her. »

« Wow, you were impatient weren't you ? »

« She had done so much for me unnie, I don't know if the rest of my life will be enough to show her what she means to me. »

 

Realising her words, Moonbyul suddenly drop her head low, feeling so shy she couldn't hold Solar's stare, She found in the red and white checked napkin on their table a sudden interest. She wasn't quite sure why, but she felt embarrassed to confess this to Solar.

Her eyes wandered everywhere on the table until the older girl's hand and she softy gasped. The ring on her ring finger wasn't the one Eric gave her back in the day, but what shocked her the most was her own feeling, she was relieved, she felt like breathing again as soon as she saw that ring.

 

« Can..can I see it ? »

 

Moonbyul motioned Solar's hand with a head movement, a smile already spreading fully on her lips. The older girl executed herself and after a short reflexion, the black hair girl decided to not take Solar's hand with her own, to look at the ring better, as she felt it wasn't her place anymore.

 

« It is quite serious then, the two of you. »

 

The police officer look straight into her use to be bestfriend and saw happiness, love and a bit on embarrassment. She vigorously nodded, answering Moonbyul's question.

 

« We are engaged now, he proposed to me last year, when we came back from Atlanta. »

« Really ? »

« Yes, but we agree to wait until I graduate, which happened 3 months ago. »

« So...When ? »

« In a month. »

 

Solar nervously giggles, as the memories on how Eric arranged his proposal resurfaced. After their 6 months journey in America, the two were closer than ever, and Solar was sure she wanted to spend her life with this man. She knew she would remember this journey forever, because of all the discoveries she made, because of that dinner date when she first confess her feelings, Because of his presence. Even the tiniest natural yet gentle gesture of Eric made her heart fluttered, and she somehow grew accustom to her heart suddenly bolting, being the girlfriend of the definition of a gentleman.

 

Not able to live separated anymore, the two of them found a new place, just a little bigger than Eric's old apartment, with a cozy terrace as a bonus.

While his graduated self quickly found a job, she was in the last year of her degree and a routine install itself with the couple. It felt like before their journey yet was different and Solar noticed it quickly, only a few weeks after their return. Their relationship for sure evolved, it wasn't just a boyfriend/girlfriend type of commitment, it grew deeper. Being in a relationship for the last 2 years, they knew everything about each other, were able to guess each other mood and feeling with only a quick stare, communicated without a single word, it was as if they melted in one person.

 

Yet she was surprised the day Eric proposed to her. It started like any other day, she came back from university and he used his day off to prepare their dinner. She smiled at the sight, for them, splinting daily chores was a natural thing to do.

Writing « Will you marry me ? » on the bottom of her glass was the way he asked her the most nerve wreaking question a man in love could. She chocked on her drink as she read it and suddenly felt overwhelmed, the man she knew by heart succeed on surprising once more. He fall on his knee next to her and started a speech she believed he repeated numerous times.

 

« You and I already experienced the best and the worst of a relationship, and I know I want to keep on making discovery by your side. You took my breathe away when I saw you again 2 years ago, and I'm far for taking the chance I have to be with you for granted, on the contrary I'm keep on wondering how can I be this lucky to walk by your side. I love you Kim Yong Sun, my everything. You're the one ruling my heart, brain and soul and I want to grew old with you, That's why I'm finally asking you, will you marry me ? »

 

Solar didn't remember how she found the capacity to answer the long awaited « yes ». She was submerged by her emotion, this proposal made her heart swelled. She jumped on his arms after he put the ring on her finger for the longest hug she had so far. The two had tears made of happiness in the border of their eyes as their arms were tightly locked around one another, « I love you » on repeatedly said by the both of them.

 

 

Moonbyul was the 1st surprised to realize how much the wedding news touched her. She was genuinely happy for Solar, but couldn't hold back her tears, as her old demons came to haunt her some more.

 

« Oh unnie, I'm so sorry. »

« Byul.. »

« Who I was, to interfere with your life this way ? Nothing that I believe should have gave me the impression I had to do this, I was so immature and stupid, what if I didn't stop ? I almost took your happiness away. »

 

Solar remained silent in front of the sight of the police officer in tears, the latter brought one hand on , her glittering eyes showed her sincere feeling

 

« I won't ever ask you to forgive me unnie, because what I've done shouldn't be forgiven, just know that I'm really sorry. I will live the guilt of my action, and I- »

« Moon Byul Yi, shut up for a second. »

« Unnie ? »

« You know, I was really angry at that time, and scared. I felt betrayed, I even believed that you only became friend with me as a wolf in disguise, ready to make a move on me at any time. »

« No..unnie, being friend with you wasn't on this purpose, you know, I tried to suppress my feelings toward you at first, because I felt guilty, to have this side of me looking at you this way while you shared your life with who you thought as your bestfriend. »

« It must have been hard then, with the clingy bestfriend I was. »

« Ani, because in the end, the most important thing for me was to spend time with you. »

 

Solar felt her own tears slowly coming, as she kept on wondering why the situation slipt out of their hands. Indeed, she was hurt and angry, the first few months after the quarrel, but the more she thought about it, the more she understood Moonbyul's torment.

She knew she couldn't forgive it, but was sick of looking at the past. For her, meeting Moonbyul again, after all this time wasn't just a coincidence. She might never had voiced it out loud, but she had missed the younger girl, and was more than willing to pass by that terrible mistake if it could bring her back to her life.

 

« Byul ah, we can't re do the past, but we can learn from it. We're adult now, and we shouldn't speak about past mistake. »

« Unnie, you almost sound like Wheeny »

« Well, that's because it's true. I don't know what the future will look like, and it's kinda frightening. Of course, Eric oppa will be here with me, but I'm sure about one thing Byul ah... I really need my bestfriend back, especially now. »

 

Solar took the black hair girl's hand with her own and hold it tight, realising how much she had missed it.

 

« My life is about to change, for the better, but I missed our complicity. I need you to pull prank on Eric or to rant about him not doing the laundry, I need you to tell me how much you love Whee In during future deep talk around glasses of soju, I need you, 5 or 10 or 15 years from now to be the coolest aunt my kids will have, bringing them to school with that police car of yours...You are my soulmate Byul ah, and I think we lost enough time already, can we just go back like how we used to be ? »

 

« Unnie...I..of course, thank you unnie, I don't know what to say I'm- »

« Then say nothing and just hug me, you idiot. »

 

Moonbyul executed herself right away, nearly fall as she rushed to Solar. The place they were, the people around them, nothing mattered as she found the comfort of her bestfriend and her arms back. She was more than happy, not a word could describe of how glad and relieved, how grateful she was toward the older girl. She spent days and nights imagining how seeing her back would look like, but never in her best scenario she imagined something like this, nor the relief it would bring her. In the end, only their friendship mattered, and both of them realised they underestimate it. After the hardship and tears, the doubts and betrayal, they still found each other back.

 

« And Byul ah...you better show up at my wedding. »

« Of course unnie, nothing will stop me to come. »

 

 

« Welcome home, Officer Moon. »

 

The ecstatic police officer grinned hearing the melodious voice of her girlfriend. The sight of Whee In waiting for her, doing her assignment on their apartment's sofa was always endearing for Moonbyul.

She still couldn't believe how bold she was, to ask Whee In on their first date the first night after the end of her training. Not only this, but she also asked her to move in with her, in their own place.

 

« The year I spent without you was a nightmare Wheeny, I don't wanna spend a single day without seeing your face anymore, without hugging you or talking to you or kissing you anymore. Jung Whee In, you got me wrap around your finger, and now you need to assume it. So, live with me, in our own place ? it won't be like your folks big castle, but be sure I'll pamper you, my princess. »

 

« Wheeny ah ! »

 

Like a kid, Moonbyul run until her sitting girlfriend and laid on the rest of their sofa, using Whee In's leg as a pillow.

 

« Oh wow, what is it all about ? You look way too much excited for somebody who just used her free day to sneak out and buy me a gift for our anniversary. »

« ...how do you know ? »

« You're that predictable, Byulyi »

 

Whee In grinned seeing the dumbfounded face of her girlfriend. Out of instinct, she started those black hair she was crazy about.

 

« But Wheeny, something happened. »

« Hmmm? »

« I meet Yongsun Unnie. »

« Really ? »

 

 

Moonbyul took Whee In's free hand with her own, and played with it while she scholastically narrated her afternoon with the older girl.

 

« So...what will happen now ? »

« Well..I don't know I mean, we exchanged our phone numbers and all, I guess we'll see her for the wedding. »

« We ? »

« Of course, you're coming with me. »

« hmm »

« Look at your face, hey, why are you pouting like this ? »

 

Moonbyul changed her position and sat beside her girlfriend, with her two hand she rubbed the latter cheeks.

 

« Don't tell me you're jealous or something like that ? »

« You can't blame me, you were so in love with her you turned crazy. »

« And if I remember correctly, you're the one who healed me. »

 

Letting go of Whee In cheek, Moonbyul briefly kissed her right cheek before hugging her tightly. She laid her head in the crook of Whee In's neck, and inhaled her sweet perfume, but slightly blushed once she spotted, hidden by Whee In's shirt, a faded hickey.

 

« Whee In, you have nothing to fear, I love you, you know that. »

« I know. »

« I was in love with her, but it's my past, and you are my future. However, I am given the chance to be her friend again. I used to be so close to her, almost like how you and Hyejin are. I'm really happy to have her back in my life again. »

« I understand..and I love you too. »

 

Seeing the grinning face of Moonbyul, the dimple girl couldn't help but chuckled. It seemed like the sadness and the tears came to a end after all. She kissed her and got trapped when Moonbyul vigorously kissed her back.

 

« Wow hey, calm down officer Moon, I still have my assignment to do. »

« Don't kiss me then, you know the deal. »

« Tss...ah, but having Yongsun unnie is a good thing. »

« Hmmm ? Why are you saying this. »

« You have you bestfriend back, so maybe you'll leaving mine alone, you're spending too much time with Hyejin, so much I end up thinking you're trying to steal her away from me. »

« Wheeny, I'm her wingman remember ? »

« Yeah...how did the both of you went from ''don't hurt Wheeny or I'll hit you'' to this by the way ? »

« A bunch of nights out and alcohol. »

« Nevermind, I don't want to know. »

 

After some time, Moonbyul stood up and stretched herself, feeling the hardship of her job. She let Whee In do her work and went to prepare them food, with a light heart, she couldn't wait to truly renew her friendship with Solar.

 

 

 

Okay, so last chapter I said this was suppose to be the epilogue...but I have to be serious for a moment the epilogue can't be longer than most of the chapters xD

So, let's just say it's a bonus chapter \o/ 

There will be an epilogue tho, there is still a scene I wanna write (I'm pretty sure y'all know what is it.)

Also, I realised it while writing this chapter, but almost all the part are strongly about Moonbyul pov. If you don't know it, she's my bias in Mamamoo, and look like I tend to write a lot with her pov, sorry about that >___<

I'll check the grammar and all later, I'm kinda in a rush rn I gtg

I'll try to write the real epilogue tonight, so be ready for a double update °°