Act 6 : Consequences

Good for you

 

« I can't believe you never made kimbap before ! »

« Why should I make it when It's one of the easiest thing to buy ? »

« Oh come on, you can't compare those tasteless kimbap right from a 7/11 to those we are making, be serious for a second, E Yoon Do ssi. »

 

Eric looked at the girl before him, she had an obvious grin on her lips. Pet name, it was a new thing between them. Saying he enjoyed this kind of interaction was a understatement, because for him, it showed how much they grew closer, in their 1st month as a couple. He was more than happy to see Solar opening more to him, the shyness and awkwardness of the debut gone. She was witty and funny yet cute and caring. And though he was no jerk, he somehow felt proud walking hand in hand with such a beautiful girl.

 

The two of them were inside his apartment, on each side of a small table, getting everything ready for the party later on. Surprised at first, he agreed on helping his girlfriend to make Kimbap as on of the dishes for the night.

 

« So....don't you think we should cook something else ? I mean, I'm pretty sure Jackson can eat all of it in less than 5 minutes. »

« Maybe we can order fried chicken ? »

« What ?! You wanna make kimbap but order chicken ? »

« Byulyi and I are chicken enthusiastic oppa, ah and chinese food too. »

« Hmm, let's do this, we can wait until the evening and see with everybody, right ? »

« You sure ? I mean, I don't want your friends to think I didn't prepare things and they have to bring something or - »

« Hey, hey Yongsun ah »

 

Eric interrupted the brown hair girl by taking her hand with his own, it to reassure her

 

« I know them, they'll bring things even if I order them to no to. You don't have to be anxious Yongsun ah, they're just my friends, a bunch of silly people, just like me. Beside, you already know Amy right ? »

« I know, but I can't help to feel impressed, I mean, you're all living here without you parents, speaking english and everything and here I am..just being that normal student. »

« You're everything but normal to me Yongsun, and trust me, this impression you have on them will disappear quickly, just remember Amber made me eat a watermelon on the floor...with my hands ! »

 

 

Seeing the radius smile spraying across her face, Eric knew he succeed on calming her. He quickly understood the latter was somehow anxious meeting his friends, as she once explained they were like his family since he lived alone in Korea. His friend were far from being serious and judgmental, quite the contrary, so he tried to put her at ease, but felt touched by her action. This girl was one of a kind, he was sure of it.

 

Simple daily chores like cooking and cleaning afterward were never something the young man enjoyed, but having Solar along, doing those boring task with her was different. He understood Solar got this power to make everything better, more joyful, less monotonous. When he first met her again, she took his breathe away. The girl he found cute grow to be a beautiful young woman, and he knew the simple crush he had on her during highschool was long gone; the spark, the butterflies and goofy smiles, everything was here. He was in love with this girl, and couldn't thank fate enough for his 2nd chance.

 

He surprised her with a back hug while she placed the kibamp on his kitchen counter. Startle at first, she relaxed on his arm, feeling at home in his embrace.

 

« Oh ! I almost forgot E Yoon Do ssi. »

« Hmm ? »

« Today was Whee In's big test ! »

 

Unknown to Solar, His body sightly tense hearing the younger girl's name.

 

« R..Really ? »

« Yeah, She told me it was today, everything went well with the tutoring ? »

« Good I guess, I mean, I tried to teach her well. »

« Great, because you know, if she fails, it will be your fault then ! »

« What ?! Why ? »

« I know how much of a child you can be while teaching somebody. »

 

She turned around, not breaking his hug. She had a playful expression on her face, and Eric tried to mirror it, to avoid any suspicion. She pinched his nose, in a affective way, but it wasn't enough for him to feel better.

 

He felt bad, lying to his girlfriend this way, but how could he simply tell her about that kiss ? Obviously, Whee In was an important friend, for her to ask him to tutor the younger girl. He was taken off guard when she kissed him and was still wondering how the situation turn to something like this. Was it because Whee In misunderstood his kindness ? He had no idea, but he somehow noticed how nervous she was during their last study session. All the week of tutoring, he was his usual self, maybe a little more caring, since she was his girlfriend younger friend, he felt responsible in an almost sibling way.

 

He wanted to call the younger girl, to clear any misunderstanding but she didn't reply his calls. So how could he tell his girlfriend that her friend kissed him out of the blue ? He didn't want to mess with their friendship.

 

I need to talk with Whee In first, and then maybe I'll tell Yongsun, I don't like lying to her.

 

« Eric oppa ? Are you daydreaming ? »

« Hmm ? Sorry, I space out..we should continue our preparation don't you think ? »

« Right~ »

 

Not without a small peck, Solar broke their hug and resume their preparation. Eric followed along, feeling somehow uncomfortable, something was not right, but couldn't figure what.

 

 

Sitting alone in a chair, in their dark and oddly cold apartment, Moonbyul was thinking, planning over and over again the evening. It was 10pm, she should be at Eric's party like Solar told her to, yet she delayed, saying to Solar she had an important homework to do before partying.

Truth to be told, the golden hair girl was lost, she knew D-day as come, her plan was coming to an end. She had all the cards in hands to reach her goal but somehow let thing hanging. She was nervous and excited, afraid yet relieved.

 

2 days went by since the kiss, since she got herself the proof that Eric was a player and since then, she didn't sleep, but was thinking on how exposing the bastard the best way. She didn't wanted Whee In to be more involved and decided to put all the blame on Eric. It was true after all, if he didn't ask Solar out in the first place, she wouldn't have to do all of this.

 

This is what happened when you get on my nerves bastard, all your fault.

 

The vibration of her phone brought her back to reality, and before reading the several texts she ignored all day, she took a mouthful of her drink, plain whiskey she brought during the afternoon, thinking the alcohol would make her braver.

 

The screen of her phone was the only source of light, and her tired eyes surrounded by dark circles squinted while looking at it. She checked her messages and smiled, seeing the latest one was from Solar.

 

From Yeba Yongddonie nim :

Are you done with your homework ? I'm trying to save foods for you but I'm surrounded by orcs ! They are eating everything, especially Amber and Jackson, but they are all funny so hurry up Byul ah !

 

She also noticed the dozen messages and missed call from Whee In.

 

From Jung Whee ron :

Unnie, it's not too late to back off , Just..try and get to know Eric oppa better okay ? Please answer me, don't do anything stupid.

 

Why is she trying to stop me ? I'm doing the right thing, I know it.

 

She quickly typed an answer for Whee in, and stood up, gripping her phone tightly. After taking a deep breathe, she walked toward the frond door.

 

To Jung Whee Ron :

Wheeny, I'm just doing what is right.

 

 

Solar was laughing out loud, small tears actually threatening to fall. She didn't expected Eric's friend to be this crazy, but at the same time was glad, because the awkward introduction she feared never happened.

She already knew Ailee, since they were on the same club, and quickly get along with her. The two other people, Amber and Jackson happened to be cheerful and friendly and because of them, her nervousness vanished almost immediately. The party already begun and they broke the ice by talking about stories the group of friends went though, until it gradually turned into stories to embarrass Eric.

 

« You should have seen him yelling pokémon Theme song in his Pikachu costume, that was soooo funny. »

« Yah Amy ! You were also in disguise, you to too Amber so stop it ! »

« Too bad he deleted the video from my phone, I wanted to use for an episode of What the Pineapple. »

« Ah really, why I am friend with these two... »

 

Eric sank in his couch, acting dramatically with the hope his friends would leave him alone. However, he made a mental note on thanking them later, because of them Solar was laughing, and it brought his own happiness. She was sitting beside him on the small couch, Jackson and Amber were sitting on the floor in front of them, a small table separating them. Ailee was on another side, on Eric's computer chair.

 

« Actually Amber you send it to me. »

« I did ? »

« Yeah, and I kept it. »

« What ?! Hey Jackson stop it man. »

 

With a mischief smile, Jackson motioned to Solar to come closer to him, his phone visible. She laughed and slapped the younger man shoulder seeing the 3 others antics. Clearly she had fun time on that evening.

 

« You know oppa, Byulyi used to call me Squirtle all the time, I guess we're both Pokemon then ? »

 

 

 

They were in the middle of a drinking game involving cards when they heard knocking. Ailee being the closest naturally went to open it.

 

« It must be Byulyi, she told me she was on her way. »

 

She looked toward the front door, anticipating the footsteps of her bestfriend. On the other hand, Ailee nearly got shocked seeing Moonbyul; she had dark circle under her eyes, which screamed tiredness. She was also very pale and obviously tipsy. She was leaning on the wall and was looking almost lifelessly at the other girl.

 

« Oh wow Byulyi, you're okay girl ? Hey don't let your homework kills you. »

 

The latter didn't reply, only nodded to acknowledge the older girl presence. Looking to her left she saw the group of friend and saw him immediately. Solar was near him, and she noticed their linked hands. It was when she lost it.

 

She bypassed Ailee, bumping into her shoulder and rushed to the young man's living room. It happened so fast, nobody was able to react. Moonbyul stood in front Eric, pulled him harshly by the collar of his shirt, and after throwing the most hateful stare she could afford punched him in the face, as hard as her state allowed her.

 

Gasped follow along, as Jackson, Amber and Solar abruptly stood up. But in her frenzy, Moonbyul didn't saw them and went to punch the young man a second time

 

« Byul ah what are you doing ?! Stop !! »

 

Solar screamed, not believing the scene in front of her. But her bestfriend didn't listen to her, and raised her fist for a 3rd attack. Solar being the closest tried to separate them, and was helped to her task by Jackson, who yanked Moonbyul away, his arms wrapped around Moonbyul's one. The latter tried to break free, but the blond man was stronger than her, and pulled her backward.

 

Eric who couldn't defend himself, given the rapidity and suddenness of the attack had his hand on the injured half part of his face, already feeling the pain. Solar went near him, checking the injuries; bloody nose, a cut on his lips and a bruise around the area.

The whole time, Moonbyul was screaming at him, insulting him, going crazy and struggle to break free from Jackson grasp.

 

« You bastard ! ! »

« Hey, Hey ! You calm down, now ! »

 

Amber was between the restrained girl and the couple, and the sight she had frightened her. The golden hair was beyond furious.

 

« Let me go and get out ! I need to teach that bastard a lesson so you better walk away ! »

« Hey I won't leave you alone with him and you better calm down or Imma calling the cops !! »

 

Solar, who was busy applying a napkin she wet with some water on her boyfriend face heard the argument of the two other girl. She gave the tissue to Eric and turned around, looking at her bestfriend. She almost couldn't recognized her, where was the kind and calm Byulyi ? What she had in front of her wasn't her bestfriend, it broke her heart to see her in that state.

 

« Enough ! You two please..Byul ah ! What's wrong with you ?! How could you ?! »

 

Hearing Solar voice somehow calmed the blond hair girl, who stopped struggling. Jackson freed her, but decided to stay close, ready to pounce on her at any moment. Ailee witnessed with shocked eyes the whole scene, she came back without closing the door after hearing the scream.

 

« What's wrong with me...what's wrong with me unnie ? That bastard is cheating on you ! That's what's happening ! »

 

The room grew silent hearing Moonbyul's declaration. The eyes of every students present were on her, including Eric, who stood behind Solar, kinda dizzy after the punches, how could a frail young woman hit that hard.

 

« What...What are you talking about Byul ah ? »

« That's bull ! Hyung would never do that ! »

 

Not wanting to speak anymore, Moonbyul took her phone, and showed the picture she took to Solar.

The face of her bestfriend suddenly became pale, as if life itself was escaping her.

 

« That's...Whee In ? »

 

The picture was pretty clear, as Moonbyul decided to keep this unique proof. She took it when Eric tried to break free the first time, after Whee In had her arm wrapped around his neck. Eric had his hand on her waist, since he was trying to push her but the picture could be seen as two people kissing passionately.

 

« Not only this is cheating on you unnie, but he's seeing a highschool student, way too young behind your back ! »

 

The three friend took a glimpse of the picture and gasped, obviously lost of words. Eric saw it too and stood motionless, taken aback by the situation. How could this happened ?

 

« No...Yongsun, please, listen to me. »

« You don't have a word to say bastard, how could you ?! »

« Please Byulyi...let me explain okay ? it's a misunderstanding I.. »

 

He used his right arm to make Solar look at him, but his heart broke when he saw tears flowing over her brown eyes.

 

« It's..Yongsun ah it happened all of sudden, she...I don't... she just kissed me out of the blue...I, I told her to stop but- »

« Shut up ! Why we should believe you huh ?! Unnie, you deserve better than him ! »

 

Seeing her bestfriend in tears was unbearable for Moonbyul, she wanted everything nothing more but to stop, to take her hand and walked out of the apartment. However, she knew she had to finish her plan first. She was there to win, and was ready to anything to achieve that goal.

 

« O..oppa... »

 

Solar, heartbroken and beyond lost didn't know what to do. She was hurt and scared, the situation was too much for her, she couldn't figure out what she had to feel, what she had to ignore. but she couldn't ignore the picture. She also remembered the talk she had with Eric, the latter didn't talk about that kiss, for obvious reason, it only fuel Moonbyul's part of the story. But while she tried her best to stop her tears, she noticed Eric's expression, he was hurt too, not only his physical wound.

 

« Yongsun...please believe me..I should have told you earlier I'm sorry..but nothing happened, I promise. »

« Don't believe him unnie ! He's not good for you !! »

 

.I am !

 

« No...Yongsun please..I..I won't ever do something like that to you...I love you ! »

 

Moonbyul reacted right away to the sudden confession, she tried to walk toward the young man, to punch him again, only to be restrain by Jackson once again.

 

«IF YOU LOVE HER, WHY ARE YOU BREAKING HER HEART LIKE THIS ?!! »

 

Moonbyul wanted to scream more, accuse him more, insult him like never before, but she froze. What she said resonated inside her, as she suddenly felt sick. Her angry and mad expression died, her eyes widened. She fall on her knees, her shaking left hand on . The tremor of her hand rapidly spread on her whole body, as she painfully realised the situation.

 

She started crying, to the surprised of everybody. Only did they know what was happening to her.

 

..What...What I have done ?!

 

« Yongsun ah...please look at me. »

 

Eric tried once again to gain the attention of his girlfriend, and became afraid when he couldn't read her expression. Something was broken, he knew it and it killed him knowing he was partly responsible.

 

« I'm sorry Yongsun ah... »

« Oppa..I don't know..I'm- »

 

« Yongsun unnie, Eric oppa. »

 

Except for Moonbyul, every heads turned to the new addition inside the small living room.

Whee In found the door open and when she heard the ruckus coming from the apartment decided to enter, even without invitation.

The scene before her broke her heart. Confusion, sadness, anger and tears flooded the room, it was suffocating. The young couple was in tears, so was Moonbyul, still on the floor. Jackson, Amber and Ailee stood clueless, ready to protect their friend. Whee In knew she was too late and let out a heavy sigh. The situation was about to worsen, but it was the only way.

 

« Sorry to interrupt, but let me explain, okay ? »

 

 

After making sure the situation was more calm, Jackson, Amber and Ailee left the apartment, sensing they weren't at their place, that it became way too intimate for them to stay. Eric took some ice wrapped around tissue to appease his face. However his eyes never left his girlfriend, he was worried about her, about their status, about everything.

 

Solar fall on the couch, hearing Whee In's story. The younger girl hesitated at first, revealing the truth would actually break Moonbyul and Solar friendship, she knew it, but it was the only solution left. She gave a chance to Moonbyul, asking her to tell everything, but the golden hair girl, still on her knees shut herself from the world. She wasn't crying anymore but wasn't moving, kept silent. It was almost as if wasn't breathing anymore.

 

The older girl, as well as her boyfriend, was dumbfounded hearing that everything was Moonbyul's doing. She couldn't believe it, that her bestfriend friend, the one she trusted with her life plotted to separate her from Eric. She couldn't hold it anymore and broke in tears, for the second time of the night. She felt powerless, weak but most importantly, heartbroken.

 

Her bestfriend, her soulmate and sister had betrayed her.

 

« ..Why...Byul ah why ? »

 

The latter had her head low, she somehow regain her sense and while Whee In was explaining her plan, she realised how wrong, how distorted, how insane she had become. She couldn't bear looking at Solar nor Eric, she felt stupid.

 

I am the monster...

 

« Dammit Moon Byul Yi look at me ! What's wrong with you ?! And you Whee In ?! How could you let her do this ?! »

Still crying, the brown hair girl slowly felt anger consuming her. These two girls she considered the closest friends she ever had plotted to make her suffer, but stay quiet when she asked them the reason.

 

« I'm sorry Yongsun unnie...I somehow knew it was wrong..I should have stop her earlier.. »

 

Whee In bowed to her senior, multiple time as guilt ate her alive. On the other hand, Moonbyul had yet to make a move, and it only exasperate Solar even more. Eric tried to calm her, even if he was angry himself, but he knew nothing good would come out of an argument, regarding the heated situation.

 

But Solar abruptly stood from the sofa and went to Moonbyul. She took a grip on the younger shoulders and made her stood up as well, forcing the dreadful confrontation.

 

« Yah Moon Byul Yi look at me ! Do you hate me that much, to pull something like this ?! »

 

The question triggered something within the lifeless girl. She finally met the eyes of her bestfriend, but those eyes she grew to love weren't sparkling like they used too. Instead, she only found sadness and hurt, and she was the only culprit, the one who gave those emotion to Solar.

 

« It's not that unnie... »

« Then what ?! Why did you try to destroy my relationship with Eric ?! What on earth made you decide to screw everything like this ? I trusted you Byul ah ! »

 

« I love you ! »

 

Moonbyul took a few step back, fighting another round of fresh tears. Everything was over, she knew it, she provoked it...and would have to deal with the consequences.

 

« Unnie...I did because I'm in love with you !! I thought I was the one good for you, and I couldn't bear seeing you being happy with him, being happy without me ! »

« ...Byul... »

« I'm in love with you since the beginning unnie ! I just hide it all along...I'm sorry.. »

 

The sudden confession crashed Solar's world. She looked at Moonbyul but felt like she was in front of a stranger. She couldn't help but had second thought about everything they've done together, about their whole friendship. Did Moonbyul stayed with her all this time with the only motive to date her ? What about their memories together ? The hardship they went though ? Their complicity ? Did Moonbyul faked everything ?

 

« Stop...no more please.. »

« Unnie ? »

« Please stop Byul ah.. »

 

It was more than what Solar could support in her whole life. Those revelations crushed her, she didn't know how to react anymore, what to feel anymore. She was lost, betrayed, hurt and couldn't deal with this situation.

 

« Leave... »

 

With tired eyes, she took a last look at her bestfriend, the girl who meant the world to her, the same girl who just destroy it.

 

« Please...just leave.. »

 

She said nothing more and turned around, but heard footstep going toward the front door as she buried her head on Eric's shoulder, only to cry her heart out.

 

 

Whee In left the apartment just after Moonbyul, feeling unwanted. Once outside, she started looking for the golden hair girl. What she sadly expected actually happened; Moonbyul understood her wrong doing, with the hard way. She was beyond scared for the safety of her senior and checked every street in the area.

 

She found her nearby, her hand in a worse state than previously, sitting on a small alley, back against a dirty wall.

 

« Unnie ! »

« Wheeny... »

« Oh my god, look at your hand ! »

« Ah...I kinda hit the wall..didn't help.. »

« I'm gonna help you, wait. »

 

The lifeless girl watched as Whee In took from her bag a pet bottle a some tissues. After wetting them, she applied soft pressure on her wounded hand, to clean it.

 

« Maybe you should go to the hospital unnie, we don't know if- »

« Why are you doing this ? »

« Unnie ? »

« Why are you helping me Wheeny, after what I've done ? »

 

The dimple girl stayed silent, trying to figure out the best answer.

 

« Wheeny...I'm a monster, look what I did to you. I know you have a crush on me and use it against you, to make you do awful thing. I manipulated you...you have every right to hate me now..I'm hating myself for what I've done...I know it won't ever be enough Wheeny, but I'm sorry...I really am.. »

 

« I appreciate your words unnie...but you're wrong about one thing. »

« hmm? »

« It's more than a simple crush...unnie I love you..maybe more than how you love Yongsun unnie. Call me an idiot, but that's why I can't leave you alone. »

« Wheeny... »

« True thing, I'm kinda angry at you, but I know I can't stay like this forever, especially now, you need help unnie, so let me help you. Beside, I'm pretty sure you'll have the beating you deserve once you'll meet Hyejin you know ? She's my childhood friend and well...I kinda told her everything »

 

A small smile sprayed across the older girl lips, and Whee In took it as a sign to continue her confession.

 

« You weren't in your right mind unnie, I'm not defending your action but...I should have realized it earlier, maybe I've could have stop you...and now, you're just coming back to your sense, that's why you need somebody by your side, to get better, to not do stupid thing again.

 

I'm giving you a second chance unnie, tried to not screw that up ? »

 

« You speak well, Jung Whee In, for a highschool student..thank you »

 

After staying quiet for a few minutes, Moonbyul slowly raised her available fist and show it to Whee In. The latter chuckled, understanding the intention of the older girl, and use one of hers to do the most awkward bro fist of her life.

 

 

A few days after the party, Solar came back, with heavy steps, to her shared apartment. She was still in a dazed and asked Eric to come with her, fearing to meet with Moonbyul.

Once alone in his own apartment after the departure of Whee In, Solar cried for a long time on his shoulder, but they somehow talked thing out. She understood he was also a victim as much as she was. Afterward, he proposed her to stay in his apartment for a while, knowing it would have been awkward to come back on her own.

 

But they quickly noticed the emptiness of the shared apartment. After taking a brief tour of it, Solar noticed that each and every Moonbyul's belonging disappeared. Only remained a letter on their table, and beside it a set of keys.

 

« Yongsun unnie,

 

I moved out, It was the best thing to do after all right ?

Don't worry about the rent, I'll pay my part until you find a new roommate.

I don't know if saying sorry a thousand time would be enough to show you my sincerity.

Instead, I promise you I'll become a better person, someone you can call a friend in the future, if you still want to.

 

Until then, please live your life to the fullest.

 

Byulyi »

 

 

Here it come, the final part....And yes, I'm crying as much as you do guys ;_____;

Don't worry, an epilogue is planned !

 

I did a quick check of the grammar and all, but it's 2:30 am right now and my english is asleep lmao, so I am...night guys * wheeout*