-O7

A Beautiful Catastrophe

After the disastrous hurricane that hit Mark’s life, he would be lying if he said that he’s doing great. Seven days gone by and Mark still refuses to go back home. In other words, he’s been staying with the Parks for a week now. Jinyoung’s family got nothing against this anyway. In fact, they treated Mark as a new member of the family. All of them insisted that the young man must go back and talk to his mom, yet they must respect Mark’s decisions as well. He is the one who’s damaged after all; he knows the ultimate remedy for his aching wounds. Since Mark felt that he lost his family—although he didn’t and he’s just overthinking—Jinyoung’s family gave him all the love and care that he needed so he could find a new home in them.

For a week, Mark saw how every individual inside that house do their responsibilities. Being a Park for a couple of days isn’t that bad at all. He is waking up at 4 o’clock in the morning to help Jinyoung receive and record the daily bundles of flower deliveries fresh from their private flower farm in Jeju. It’s very cold at that time, so Mark and Jinyoung must always sip on a cup of hot coffee to wake their senses. Keeping a Math major in company made all their records neat and accurate. Thanks to Mark’s skills and patience. Once the duties in the shop were accomplished, they start to prepare for school. They shower together; bare and quick. They wear their uniforms and groom themselves. For breakfast, Mark’s eating patterns were somehow altered. Normally, his mother would serve an American breakfast—pancakes, bacons and sausages. But Jinyoung’s mother likes it the traditional way—fried rice, perfectly fried sunny-side up eggs, beef strips and some fruits. They go to school together, but they must drop off Chaeyoung to her school first. A 2-hour bus ride, depending on the traffic and they’re finally set to start another exhausting day in the university. That has been Jinyoung’s life since he became capable of handling bigger tasks. 5 days, weekend excluded, Mark lived the life that Jinyoung lives.

 

Saturday morning and Jinyoung volunteered to do all the needed work in the shop since his sister is having severe abdominal cramps caused by her monthly reward for not getting pregnant. His parents went to the dentist to get their quarterly dental check-up. Mark tagged along after realizing that it is weekend and a lot of customers will visit the shop. The clock strikes 8:00AM, Jinyoung opened the main door. They sat behind the counter to wait for their first customer. “Its fun here, you know?” Mark said, looking at the tall metal pots of flowers around them.

“Where’s the fun in standing here all day long to arrange and sell flowers?!” Jinyoung asked with no hint of enthusiasm. This business supported their family for almost 2 generations now, and it will be passed on to the next people in line—namely, Park Jinyoung and Park Chaeyoung. Mark laughed, taking a small note pad from the desk which has all of the orders that they need to prepare. “Isn’t it fulfilling to know that the bouquets you arrange can make other people happy?” he asked.

Jinyoung furrowed his brows and tried to think about it. “It is, but if you’re in my place, I bet you’ll feel the same. I’ve been doing this for years and somehow, I already lost enough passion for it.” Jinyoung confessed as he blankly stared at the empty street before them. Doing the same things on repeat can be  boring for some. His life inside this shop only revolves in a cycle; he picks flowers from their vases, take them on the counter to properly arrange them according to how the customer wants it and get money afterwards. He’s used to it, but he can’t help to crave for something new. “If the passion is gone, what drives you to do all these?” Mark knew that there are certain matters that Jinyoung must understand; he needs a little enlightenment from the tricky feeling that’s been covering his real intentions.

A moment of silence as today’s first buyer entered the shop. A guy in his 20s, wearing a black v-neck shirt, plain jeans and white sneaks. He took a wooden basket and started picking out the flowers that he likes; a dozen of long stemmed white roses. Jinyoung and Mark watched him from a distance. “You gave me something to think about.” Jinyoung crawled back to his friend’s previous question. Where does all his motivation come from? “I guess, its from my family. It’s like we are all programmed to do these duties for a lifetime. Honestly, I’ve met a lot of customers and heard their stories. It’s tiring– so bad that it pushes you to stop, but there’s this certain something that holds you back because you know that you’ll not able to drop this responsibility anyway. I want to get away from it, I can get away from it. The only problem is that my heart tells me not to, and its not guilt that pulls me back.” None of them have expected that a light topic could bring up such a deep conversation at this time of the day.

Mark then realized the huge impact of this shop to Jinyoung. “You know why you can’t get away?” he spoke, waiting for the customer to bring the roses onto the counter so they could start arranging them. Jinyoung shook his head. ”You love what you’re doing and that’s passion. Yes, you hate the stress sometimes, but you’re still there, waking up before the sun shines to record the transactions and handle the flow of deliveries. For now, just enjoy helping your family and other people as well for you are the most helpful person in the universe!” Mark pinched Jinyoung’s cheeks so hard that it turned light pink. “L-Let go of me, Tuan!” the younger whined, accepting defeat.

“Excuse me...” The customer was smiling at them, holding the basket of white roses. Jinyoung’s flustered face made the man laugh a little more. “I’m sorry to interrupt your precious moment...” he placed he basket on the counter and Mark took them all. “But can you please help me with these flowers?” he asked cutely. Mark nodded, as if he is the one who’s regularly working there. “Of course, sir! You’ve come to the right shop!”

Jinyoung rolled his eyes. Its funny and annoying how Mark acts so lively in front of their customers. Nevertheless, Jinyoung  knew how dedicated Mark is; he is perfect as a new worker, if they only need one. “For what event, sir?” Jinyoung butted in. Its a protocol to ask the customer first. “5th anniversary and for apology too.” The guy shyly replied. Jinyoung smiled and thought of a nice arrangement that he can make. “We can put these flowers in a box, just like the trending ones right now.” He added while showing him a white box and a silk white ribbon. “But for apologizing purposes, a classic bouquet will always make a girl’s heart melt into puddles.” Jinyoung expertly explained, Mark watched him in awe. How can this engineering student talk like a businessman?

The guy scratched his nape. “It’s for a guy.”

For a second, Mark and Jinyoung paused from their respective duties. Neither of them thought that this guy is in love with a guy. A moment of silence; Jinyoung lost all his strength to talk. It’s his first time to meet someone with such an interesting personality. “Oh!” Mark spoke all of a sudden. “I think guys like bouquets too, its just a matter of arrangement. But have no fear...” Mark boasted in a broad voice. He wrapped an arm around Jinyoung, who’s running out of words, and pulled him near. “...because my Peachy is here!” he smile and pinched Jinyoung’s nose.

Is it necessary for Mark to do all these? Jinyoung asked himself. “Get off me, Penguin!” Jinyoung escaped from his hold and called him his cute nickname unconsciously. Nervous and shaking for unstated reasons, Jinyoung reached for the sharp shears and started removing the thorns of the roses. Mark extended a hand and assisted the customer with the payment. All of a sudden, the guy moved closer to Mark and whispered, too loud that Jinyoung was able to hear it. “How long have you been together?” he intrigued. The young man beamed and received the payment. “3 years!” Mark replied naturally. He thought that the guy was pertaining to their friendship so Mark didn’t think twice.

Their voices resonated in Jinyoung’s ears, causing for his cheeks to turn red. “Wow! I bet he’s a good catch.” The guy answered. Mark gave him a sweetest smile, and looked at Jinyoung who’s internally screaming. He went nearer to his friend while hugging him from behind. “He may not be the best fish in the sea, but I think he is the best for me.” Wow, Mark. Just wow. Since when did Jinyoung looked like Dory or Nemo?

“Awww! That’s cute! Your boyfriend is blushing alr—”

Jinyoung struggled to move away from Mark to cover his heated face. Its too early to feel embarrassed. “We’re just friends, sir!” Jinyoung butted in. “Don’t listen to him.” He added, focusing back on the flowers. He took a white ribbon to tie the stems into a nice bunch. Without him knowing, Mark is standing behind him while gesturing that Jinyoung is telling a lie. The guy laughed at their adorable deeds. Mark is serious with this boyfriend game, but Jinyoung is not in the mood to play with him. “No need to hide you relationsh—”

This is not going anywhere. “Here’s your bouquet, sir. Thank you so much.” A beautiful bouquet of fully bloomed white roses enchanted him. The customer and Mark were both stunned. Now, tell me who’s losing passion! Mark thought after seeing the art in Jinyoung’s masterpieces. For Jinyoung, he must do something to stop this guy from talking non-sense. He must leave soon because Jinyoung is planning his revenge on Mark. “This is nice! I’m sure my baby will like this! Thank you!” the customer said in content.

“No problem, sir. You better go ahead and surprise him with a nice breakfast.” Jinyoung suggested. As he said, the guy rapidly left their shop happily. When its just the two of them there, Jinyoung took an empty plastic pot and threw it on Mark’s direction. “Why’d you have to tell him that?!” he asked Mark, annoyed and disappointed. Jinyoung is not the type of person that would go on full rage for no valid reason. “Chill! There’s no need to go hard on me, dude!” Mark protected himself from the thing that Jinyoung might throw. Current update; a couple of plastic pots, small pillows and newspapers were being aimed on his direction. “Then why’d you have to tell him that we’re boyfriends?!” Jinyoung groaned in anger. He took a newspaper, crumpled it into a ball and hit Mark straight on his forehead.

Torn between enjoying his friend’s wrath and apologizing, Mark walked towards Jinyoung so stop him from making any harmful action. “So? Why are you so angry?! Its just a joke, dude!” Jinyoung dropped his things and managed to get through their discussion without any material involved. “Aren’t you scared that it might spread and people might judge us? Come on, Mark! What if my parents knew about this?” He has a point. Jinyoung hates being the talk of the town, especially when the reason behind his sudden fame is an awful lie. Remember when Jenny became the centrepiece in the scene just after Mark accidentally uploaded their picture? He hated the attention although its all positive. How much more if negativities became the base of the attention that he might get?

Mark grinned, he wasn’t talking this seriously. It quite shocks him that Jinyoung gets too aggressive about a small mistake. “Guys are not as nosy as girl—we don’t spread gossips.” A small laugh from Jinyoung put Mark’s heart at peace. He might not show it but the fact that Jinyoung is mad at him will definitely haunt him for weeks. Relieved, he placed his hand on top of Jinyoung’s head and ruffled his hair. Jinyoung made a weak nod.  Mark is true; guys hate rumors so no need for them to spread it. Another thing, same- couples are very considerate and understanding—there’s a 90% chance that they will respect other’s privacy and be happy for them. “Okay. I’m thinking too much. I guess, I need more coffee.” Said Jinyoung.

“No need! You’ve had enough, Nyoung! You’re too nervous already!” Mark teased before sitting beside his friend. They sat side by side while waiting for their next customer. The shop was engulfed in cold morning air that slowly dig the remaining drowsiness lingering inside Jinyoung’s system. A short yawn, and Jinyoung rested his head on top of the table behind the counter. In a speed of light, his eyes closed and Jinyoung drifted to slumber.  “Jinyoung...” he tapped his arm. Mark half heartedly woke him up because he knew that Jinyoung needs more rest. They woke up too early this morning.

Jinyoung’s eyes fluttered slowly. The sight—Jinyoung trying to fight the sleepiness that he’s feeling—is too pretty for Mark. “What?” he replied.

You can’t sleep right now. We need to stay awake because a customer could arrive any time. Those were the things that he should say. These are the words that his brain generated, but his heart speaks something else. “I am your boyfriend, right?” He mumbled, watching Jinyoung as he felt his heart drop down to its deepest point. Mark, you son of a –nevermind.

“Y-Yeah.” Jinyoung replied, fully awake. ”You are Jenny’s boyfriend.” He cleared because he doesn’t want to take this situation in a reversed way. An old lady entered the shop. Thanks to her, Jinyoung was forced to divert all his senses into more fruitful ideas instead of leaving it with Mark’s words. Of course, Mark is referring to Jenny! Mark doesn’t like guys, Nyoung! And I’m not into guys either! He must stay on his lane and carry on with these weird vibes. These mood changes are caused by his occasional Jenny transformation, nothing more.

If Mark could just keep his together, he would bravely agree with Jinyoung and erase the truth that he really did slipped at that point. Mark is not referring to Jenny. Their friendship is solid, but his feelings are starting to change too. Without him knowing, his interest for Jinyoung is no longer fit for a friend. Nights of sleeping beside each other with their limbs tangled underneath the sheets; Mark haven’t done that with anyone before. For now, Mark’s views are similar with Jinyoung—his emotions and actions are simply the effects of his fake connection with Jenny. He also believes that after al the heartbreaks, it is normal to crave for love and care, which Jinyoung provides on a daily basis. Doubting their bond and giving it a different meaning will not do any good. For now, Mark knows that loosing a friend like Jinyoung is intolerable.

The old lady walked near the counter while holding a pre-assembled bouquet of carnations. “Good Morning, Mrs. Kang!” Jinyoung greeted their customer. “It’s good to see you here, Jinyoung! Where’s your sister?” she asked before passing the flowers to Jinyoung. Mark bowed to the lady and started looking for the price in a small notepad. “Chaeyoung is not feeling well today.” Carnations are Jinyoung’s favorite flower to arrange. He carefully cut the stems, added some stalks of leaves and smaller flowers then he wrapped them all in a brown paper with a pink ribbon. “Here it is!” Jinyoung proudly said.

She handed the payment to Mark and recorded their second sold item. “Thank you, Jinyoung. Tell Chaeyoung to feel better soon!” she advised, holding the bouquet tightly. “No problem, Mrs. Kang! Take care!” Shouted Jinyoung as the lady walked away. Mark was still amaze by Jinyoung’s skills. It made him think that a florist could be a better profession for his friend. “Who is she?” Asked Mark, collecting the trash from the table and throwing them in the garbage bag. “My grandma’s friend.” Jinyoung answered.

“Let me guess, she’s a frequent buyer.” Mark declared confidently. “You know exactly what she wants!”

The vibrant expression in Jinyoung’s face turned into a gloomy one. “Mrs. Kang only buys flowers for her only daughter...” Mark nodded in understanding. Her daughter must be in the same age as Jinyoung’s parents. He thought. There were more people approaching the shop, so Jinyoung started gearing up for the huge wave of buyers. Whilst cleaning their workplace, he continued the story. “Her daughter died long ago because of an plane crash. She had a fight with her mom, which led her to leave Seoul and stay in Rome until her heartaches fade. All her life, she wanted to be a singer yet her mother forced her to be an accountant. Several hours after leaving their house, the news reported that a plane crashed and all the passengers are dead. No one thought that Yoojun, Mrs. Kang’s daughter, is there, until the airlines called the family of the victims.” Jinyoung sadly said. “Auntie Yoojun died without hearing her mother’s apology.”

The mood in their area was pulled on it lowest point. Mark can’t imagine the pain, regret and hate that Mrs. Kang faced all along. That story made him realized that our life is not in our hands. We can’t choose when to die or prolong the duration of our presence. It should be lived to the fullest. And most importantly, take every chance to say the words that you have to say before it gets too late. “Nyoung,” Mark suddenly mouthed out. “Can I tell you something?”

Jinyoung attended a customer’s concern. “Go ahead.” He took the sharp cutter and started removing the leaves of the dandelions  that were handed to him.

Mark breathed the cool breeze. He gazed at Jinyoung lovingly; admiring every inch of his face, his neck and everything that completes his perfect package. His most trusted brain shuts off its bulbs for a reason—sparks are igniting somewhere inside his heart. you, Jinyoung. You don’t have the right to make me feel this way! Too bad, Mark can’t contain it anymore. “Don’t ever go. I...I need you.” Begging, Mark forgot that aside from him and Jinyoung, there’s a customer present in the scene. I bet she’s the luckiest MarkJin shipper. He took the chance to say it because he doesn’t want to those words to remain unsaid forever. Life is about taking chances.

Those sentences shook Jinyoung’s body harder than an electric shock. His finger’s stiffen and lost its proper grip on the sharp tool. It resulted to a bloody accident. The blade made a cut on Jinyoung’s thumb. Painful? Yes. But Jinyoung didn’t feel it. No pain, no hurting indeed. Instead, his heart beat irregularly. Palpitations can kill right? Am I going to die now? No. I can’t. Crazy how a simple congregation of words could take him high. Mark needs me?

 “Your finger is bleeding!” Mind still wandering, nothing kicked in him. He gave Mark a blank look. You stupid piece of . Jinyoung pulled a tissue near him and dabbed it around the spot. “Let me see it!” Mark panicked while holding a bottle of pocket alcohol. “I can handle this, Tuan.” Jinyoung assured. Its just a small cut. Letting out 2 drops of blood didn’t hurt nobody. “Stop being stubborn! You need to get treated!” Ordered Mark in a strict way, alarming the people inside the shop.

Jinyoung looked around and saw the judgmental stares. “This is just a small cut that I usually get. I won’t die from this!” If Mark needs Jinyoung, its because he’s used to have this pale-skinned teen from Jinhae on his side all the time. He is close with Jackson too, but Mark is a reserved person like Jinyoung. They know each other very well. There’s this certain level of attachment that says he’ll never find another Jinyoung so he must treasure him all the time.  “Arrange this set for me. I’m gonna wash my hands first.” Jinyoung rushed inside the bathroom and locked himself in. He turned the faucet on and allowed the cold water of touch his injured digit. This cut may not hurt now, but it will later on. Mark needs him, and that is normal. They’re best friends. He must stay calm.

A minute passed and Jinyoung went back to the counter just to see his friend who’s actively attending the customers’ needs. He’s the only one there yet he faced the people with the brightest smile that he could ever made. He’s recovering well. Keeping the distance between his family helped in Mark’s moving on process. Lately, he’s been smiling a lot and visibly going back to his normal self. Jinyoung smiled to himself. Watching Mark from afar gave him a warm vibe. He joined his friend afterwards; both of them are providing the best service that they could give. Mark enjoys what he’s doing. This type of busyness drives his loneliness away.

 

“32 customers in 4 hours?! That’s insane!” Mark spoke as he counted the latest transactions for the first half of the day. The afternoon heat halts the people to leave their houses and go for a stroll so the shop is empty for now. Jinyoung laughed as he took the empty pots and started replacing them with new ones filled with fresh flowers. “People like buying flowers on weekends.” Mark added, trying to formulate a nice explanation and interpretation for the sudden increase of their sales.

A giggle was emitted from Jinyoung’s lips. “I guess its because more couples go on a date during weekends. Not only couples, but weekend is a 2-day freedom from all the work and stress. It gives us the time to do what we want.” Jinyoung replied. Suddenly, a motorcycle stopped in front of the shop. It looks like a delivery vehicle from a famous fast food chain. The delivery boy hoped of the big bike, took the paper bags out of the square container. “Delivery!” he happily said.

“For us?” Jinyoung was shocked. He couldn’t remember himself calling a fast food store. The man nodded. “Are you sure? I didn’t –”

“Here’s the payment.” Mark said from the back and handed the bills to the man. “Keep the change. Thanks!” he added while taking the bags from the other’s hands. Jinyoung stayed silent. When did this ordered these? The delivery boy left shortly. “What are those?!” Intrigued the younger, walking behind Mark who’s on the way to place the bags on the counter. He took the foods out and Jinyoung felt his mouth water in delight. There are spicy fried chickens, crispy, thick-cut fries, deluxe cheese burgers and two large sodas. Cheat day it is. “Let’s eat!” Mark ordered.

His invitation was ignored by the other. Instead, he went back to replacing the empty pots with new ones. “Hey! Its time for lunch! You can do that later, Nyoung. Let’s eat first.” But Jinyoung refused to listen. He shook his head and for certain factors, he felt annoyed. “Go ahead. I’ll eat later.” He answered with no dash of joy in his tone. “I won’t eat if you’re not going to eat with me.” Mark childishly replied. He might sound impatient and pushy, but he is serious. Jinyoung must be up to something which stops him from joining Mark for lunch. It’s not the food for sure! Mark ordered all of his Peachy’s favorites so he wouldn’t let these treats slip away from his reach. Can it be the unattended duties at the shop that he’s striving to finish before the next batch of buyers arrive? Maybe, but he can still do them later. “C’mon! I’m starving!” Mark said.

“Then go eat by yourself! Do I still need to feed you?” Jinyoung answered, voice raised and obviously irritated. For someone like Mark who’s clueless about Jinyoung’s abrupt mood change, he knew that things needs to be cleared up. He went near Jinyoung, hugged him from behind and held his hands to stop him from making any attracts. “What’s your problem, big baby?” he whispered. “I’m politely asking you to stop working for a while and eat with me but you’re taking things too seriously.” His lips were just behind Jinyoung’s ears—too close that every syllable sounded too seductive and...ual. The hot hair from Mark’s mouth graced Jinyoung’s earlobe. Damn you, Tuan! You better stop this before I pee my pants! Jinyoung can’t move his body, it was like someone injected a massive dosage of anaesthesia and numbed his entire body including his nerve receptors. “Mind telling me what’s wrong?”

Not a single word was generated in Jinyoung’s brain. He wanted to scream because that’s the only thing that he’s capable of right now. Mark hugs him like this before, but this whispering thing is totally foreign for him. “L-Let go.” He stuttered. Mark obeyed and moved an inch away. Upon the loss of contact, Jinyoung felt weak though shock and tremble still stayed in his body.  “You should’ve told me that you’re hungry! These foods that you ordered are too expensive!” He lectured his friend.

Confused, Mark asked more for this conversation to make sense. “Huh? The prices are pretty reasonable. These are your favorites, right? You’ve worked hard so you deserve these.”

“That’s not my point!” Jinyoung protested. “I want to cook for you!” Oops. That slipped. “I...I mean, I can cook our lunch!”

The beam that Mark made is wide enough to send Jinyoung into a panic stage. Why can’t I control my mouth when I have to? Jinyoung mentally punched himself. He blushed because his words sounded too cheesy. Admit it or not, he was like an angry wife who got mad for a petty thing. How precious can you still be, Jinyoung? Mark thought, looking at Jinyoung who’s blushing and looking at the ground while fidgeting badly. “So that’s why you’re mad?” Mark asked.

Jinyoung rolled his eyes and chose to walk towards the counter to feed his grumbling stomach. How can he still fix this mess now that its all over them? “I’m not mad, Mark.” He took the cheeseburger and made a large bite. “I’m...I’m just disappointed. I can cook, you know that! Remember yesterday when I bought ingredients for a soup?” Mark nodded, sitting beside his friend and munched on too. “I bought those for today’s lunch because I know that you’ve been craving for spicy squids since last month.” What a good friend we have here.

Mark almost choked after hearing those. It didn’t cross his mind that Jinyoung would be doing such generous things for him. “I don’t want you to get tired. You’ve been working hard since this morning and you have an injury.”

“Like I’m going to be hospitalized for this small cut!” he complained. It’s funny that Mark’s overreacting because of a small cut. Jinyoung recalled that night when he fell off the stairs because of Mark told him to wear high heels for Wonho’s party. Mark was very worried that night. They were inside the cab, ready to go home and despite of his sleepiness, he could feel Mark’s hand massaging his ankles and legs while mumbling something to ease his troubles. He fell asleep on Mark’s shoulder that night, and he woke up in his arms the next morning. Priceless.

 

No one talked after that. They focused on eating their unhealthy lunch and talked about the customers that they met today. Jinyoung would still think about Mark’s actions and how it made him feel. Again, he believes that it’s caused by his other self, Jenny. Time gone by, their break ended and people started coming to the shop again. In the midst of arranging a bouquet of tulips and angel’s breath for a buyer, Jinyoung’s parents arrived. “Our boys are working hard!” Jinyoung’s mother said before hugging his son and patting Mark’s head. “Looks like Mark’s charm is attracting customers?!” Seriously, mom?!

“How come you got home early? Its just 2 o’clock in the afternoon!” Jinyoung asked, not expecting his parents to arrive early. Their dentist has countless patients so its odd that his parents finished their check up at this time. “Less patients today.” She took the log book to check the transactions and saw how Mark organized them so well. Jinyoung’s father only greeted Mark and went up their house to rest. “I’ll just change my clothes and rest for 5 minutes then you two could stop working already.” She happily declared.

Its a good news but Jinyoung’s a bit anxious. “Are you sure, mom? We can work here until tonight! Am I right, Penguin?” Mark agreed. Jinyoung is a good son, I hope his father sees that. Mark thought. “No need, son.” Her mother said while wiping Jinyoung’s sweat with her handkerchief. Somehow, Mark missed his mother. He wants to see her already but the pain is still there. “I bought some fruits for you and Mark. Eat some after working, okay?” and she left.

Minutes later, Mark and Jinyoung left the shop as Jinyoung’s parent took over. They went straight to Jinyoung’s room and sprawled on the soft bed. Side by side, they lied silently. “I’m sleepy.” Jinyoung muffled against the pillows. Mark heard it very clear so he grabbed the blanket and draped it over Jinyoung’s tired figure. “But I don’t want to sleep.” He added. Jinyoung fetched the book that he bought last week. He’s been losing sleep because of this.

Mark was silent, looking at the ceiling. At this point, he can’t help but to think about his family. His mom still sends him messages everyday, even his father. Fei calls him too, but he kept on dropping them. He could actually go home now and talk to his parents in order to repair the broken bond, yet he’s afraid. His thoughts were cut short when his phone rang. Mark took the gizmo out of his pocket and answered the call. On the other hand, Jinyoung tried to listen well. So far, Mark’s been saying a couple of ‘yeah’ ‘okay’ and ‘thanks’. Is he talking to Wonho?

After the call, Mark turned to Jinyoung. “Get groomed, we’re going somewhere.” He commanded softly, yawning.

Jinyoung paused for a second. “I can borrow Chaeyoung’s clothes and make-up, but we don’t have a wig here.” He stood up, placed the book aside and ran towards his closet. “What event are we going to?” he followed up, hoping that there’s a garment inside his closet that could match the event. Chaeyoung would be suspecting their actions if he tries to borrow from her. “Eh? Why’d you have to wear a wig and borrow Chaeyoung’s clothes?” Mark asked seriously.

“Duuuh?!” Jinyoung’s sass is on. “A Park Jenny without a wig and girly clothes is just Park Jinyoung!” Plus, Jinyoung must consider the fact that they can’t drop by Fei’s house right now due to Mark’s family matters. “Speak up, dude! Jenny must look good for her comeback.” Excited, he said. Wow. This is probably the first time that Jinyoung felt this positive type of adrenaline rushing through his nerves. Events from the past week were still untold. Jinyoung chose not to tell Mark that Minah looked for Jenny in their shop for Mark must not have another issue to think about and add on his never-ending collections of problems.

Mark forgot to tell him the most important detail. “You don’t have to be Jenny today.” He happily said, walking towards the door to take a shower. With a smile, he looked back and stared at Jinyoung as if he’s the best image that he could lay his eyes on. “I want to be with you, Jinyoung.” And Mark left the area.

As the wooden door that separates them closed, both of them covered their faces with their hands. Internally screaming and hearts rapidly beating, Jinyoung and Mark blushed. If only the could see each other doing the same actions, feeling the same feels and enjoying the moment; its perfect.

 

Half an hour after Mark left the room, Jinyoung is close to having a mental breakdown. All his clothes are out of the closet and he still can’t pick the best outfit that he could wear. He already fitted a bunch of them; mostly jeans and tees. Weird but it seems like not even a single shirt looked good on him. Thinking in a vulgar perspective, Jinyoung is having a hard time to find the right clothes that could fit tonight’s events. Mark didn’t say anything about it, but if Minah is not involved, then he could wear normal clothes and be himself.

His door opened all of a sudden and a half Tuan entered. Lower body covered with cream-colored towel. “What the hell is this mess?” he laughed, kicking some of Jinyoung’s clothes which are lying poorly on the floor. Stressed out, Jinyoung rolled his eyes and picked them all up. “What should I wear?” he asked.

“The plaid blue flannel that I gave you last Christmas.” Mark suggested. No choice, Jinyoung looked for the said piece, a plain white tee, and a nice pair of jeans. He stripped and wore the clothes on hand. He stood up in front of the mirror to examine himself. Nope, he didn’t like what he saw. He thinks that its too loose and it made him look fat. “Mark! Do I look fat in this one?”

Mark came closer, behind him to be exact. This guy is wearing a white tank top that exposes a generous portion of his sumptuous chest, faded jeans and a plaid yellow flannel too. What kind of sorcery is this?! Jinyoung was left in a tiny shock. Couple fashion on point. People might ship them for wearing the same kind of clothes. No way! Coincidence? No. “You look good in everything that you wear, Jinyoung.” He whispered. Oh! Stop it you! “Whatever, Tuan.” Jinyoung rolled his eyes. He took his phone and his beloved wallet. “Where are we going?”

Smirking, the other responded. “You’ll see later.”

 

 

“Wow! Its been ages since I last went here!” Jinyoung cheered in front of a famous amusement park. People of all ages are there; from kids up until adults. Some couples can be spotted too, as well as a large group of friends. But since this place is made for fun and amusement, youngsters occupy most of the space inside. “Are you sure about this?” he asked Mark.

Mark hooked his arm around Jinyoung’s waist as they walked towards the main entrance. “Remember the call that I answered earlier?” Jinyoung nodded. How can he forget that? He even thought that it was Wonho on the other line. “I won two passes from the raffle of the student government.” Mark showed the message, telling that Mark really won those passes.

“You mean Kasper, the student government president, is the one who called you earlier!?” Jinyoung said.

“Yes! He told me to claim my passes at the customer service.” He advised as they continued walking. “You look shocked! It’s just Kasper, dude.” Mark smiled at the sight of Jinyoung’s puzzled face.

Jinyoung shook his head and breathed out. “I thought it was....”

“Wonho?” Mark interrupted. The line moved further as the excitement increases. “Have you noticed  that he stopped calling me lately? I’m not telling that he must keep in touch with us, but its quite strange. Well, you deserve a break for being Jenny. I know its extremely hard for you.” They took the passes and with their hands linked together, Mark and Jinyoung entered the amusement park. It was just 5:46PM, the time that they have is enough to enjoy the amenities of the place.

Amusement parks are one of the best places for first dates, according to a certain website. The moment they stepped inside the place, Jinyoung’s happiness oozed uncontrollably. He’s a self-proclaimed child at heart. Places with such uplifting vibe and environment sends him back to his younger years. The blinding lights, the smell of good food and the high pitched voices of the kids on the rides; nostalgic. Nobody is too old for this.

Out of all people, its amazing that Mark chose Jinyoung to come with him. He could ask Jackson, who has a higher tolerance of extreme rides. There’s Jinwoon, his elder cousin who helps him with his schoolwork. Hyungwon too, his favorite classmate who loves to drag Mark in the local arcade hall after class. There are roughly 50 people in the selection, but without thinking twice, Mark chose Jinyoung. Maybe its a way of giving back his kindness; more like a token of appreciation. Whatever the reason is, one thing is sure—Jinyoung is the one who came in Mark’s mind whenever he hears the word fun. It’s him. It’s always been him.

For the first ride, Jinyoung pulled Mark into a carousel. The ride is filled with kids which made their hearts flutter in sheer gladness. The children smiled at them, called them hyung and played with them as if they’re one big family. Mark and Jinyoung rode the horses that are next to each other. As the ride went on, Mark’s eyes were steady on Jinyoung. His smile, his glistening eyes, and the genuine delight written on his face enchants him is every possible way. He swore, he’s willing to take Jinyoung here everyday just to see him like this.

They both got off and went to the next rides; bumper cars, horror houses, and more. Tired yet happy, Jinyoung sat on a chair near a small coffee stall. “Let’s ride on the roller coaster!” Mark requested, energetic as always. He turned out to be the real kid here. A 5 year old soul must be trapped inside this muscular figure. He jumped up and down with his fingers still intertwined with Jinyoung. How sweet. “Let me rest for a while, Tuan! That horror house all my remaining strength!” Jinyoung complained. Mark rolled his eyes and sat beside his friend. A short rest sounds good too.

“I’ll get some shakes, okay? Wait for me.” Mark left the place and rushed to the nearest stall. Alone, Jinyoung looked around. 12 years ago, his father took him here as an reward for his good grades. The memories remain crystal clear; how his father carried him when he’s tired, when they ate ice creams and how he patiently  accompanied Jinyoung in some rides even if it made him dizzy. I miss you, dad. Jinyoung sighed. If he could just drop his dreams to take back his father’s love for him, he would. But its his father who told him to follow his dreams. Without him knowing, Mark arrived with two glasses of shakes and two corn dogs; staple amusement park treats. “Are you okay, Jinyoung?” he gave the green tea flavored one to his friend.

Their current spot is perfect for watching the sunset. Jinyoung fake a smile and nodded. “Just thinking about my dad. ” he replied. He gazed at Mark softly. “Mark, I think its time for you to go back to your mom.” Emotions surely vary, its depends on how the people understand certain circumstances. As for Jinyoung, although he doesn’t know the intensity of pain surrounding Mark’s yearning heart, going back and fixing everything as soon as possible is much advisable instead of prolonging the wait and hurting himself, including his family. “Your mom misses you so much. Remember when she dropped by the shop just to give me your school supplies and your clothes? We talked outside because she wanted to give you more time to think and forgive. She cried so hard. I wanted to take her inside to calm her down, but she said that it’s not going to help you.” Jinyoung reached for Mark’s hand and held it tightly. “Mark, please go back to your family.” He pleaded.

Mark’s heart clenched in pain. His mother is a strong woman, and she rarely cries. After hearing Jinyoung’s  words, his views changed instantly. “           I’ve been thinking about it too, but as you said, I need to fix this.” The fact that Jinyoung cares for him so much made Mark feel special. For some people, they might insist that he should give more time for himself, but Jinyoung convinced him in a way that no could ever do. “I want to talk to dad and Fei as well.” Mark gave in and broke the defences around his heart.

Jinyoung beamed. He’s happy that Mark finally chose to do the right thing. “You’re lucky. Your mom and dad loves you so much even though they’re not together.” He sat comfortably, facing the beautiful sunset before them. This time, its Mark’s turn to comfort his best bud. “Jinyoung, I’ll talk to your dad. I will do everything to convince him.” He wrapped his arm around Jinyoung’s arm and rested his head on his shoulders. “I got you.” Mark whispered. Their position looked too romantic for best friends but in times like this, their feelings rise above the judgements around them.

“Thank you, Mark.” Jinyoung sat straight and looked right into Mark’s eyes. Filled with hope, they smiled at each other. Mark sipped on his strawberry shake and pinched Jinyoung’s nose. “I’m the one who needs to say thank you. You’ve done a lot for me.” Mark replied cutely. They could continue this moment, but they are here to have fun and forget the sadness in their lives.

Jinyoung laughed before hitting Mark’s arm. “Enough with the drama! Let’s finish our food and enjoy more rides.” The pastel colors of the sky too pretty, so Jinyoung took his phone out and snapped a photo of it. “Its so beautiful!” Jinyoung spoke with much wonder.

“But not as beautiful as you.” Smooth, Mark. Too smooth.

Jinyoung was taken aback. If he heard it right, Mark said he’s beautiful. “W-What?!”

“I’m not going to repeat it. Sorry.” And they chuckled in unison. Truly, happiness is being with Jinyoung.

 

One of Jinyoung’s greatest fears is riding the roller coaster. Insufficient guts to face the rapid pace is the main cause of his fright. Of course, he still face it with the help of Mark. The sat on the middle area, and as it moved, Jinyoung held Mark’s hand. Neither of them broke their connection until the ride ended. They both screamed their hearts out and enjoyed the bliss of the scene. Jinyoung conquered his fear—Thanks to Mark and his undying support.

Time flew too fast. They are down to their last ride, Ferris wheel. This is perfect since it will give them a perfect view of the city when they reach the top. 8:56 PM. Jinyoung knew that he must go home before the clock strikes 11PM or he’ll get a short lecture from his mom. Mark assisted him inside the cabin. It slowly moved up. “Thank you for taking me here, Mark.” Jinyoung said, smiling.

“Are you happy?” Mark asked, moving closer to his friend. “Very happy!” Answered Jinyoung. His words were enough to satisfy Mark. He did it! “Me too. I’m always happy when I’m with you.” Mark effortlessly spoke as the cabin took them higher.

It is true that people are vulnerable at night. Feelings can be easily voiced out and expressed. One can easily dive into other’s thoughts and find sincerity in everything that they say. Weak; people are usually weaker at night. Not because they are tired, but because us humans, adjust ourselves in the condition of our environment. The calmness and serenity of the night brings a steady rhythm in our senses. It brings our walls down, that’s why every emotion overwhelms us while the stars illuminate the dark sky. “I wonder what my life would be without you.” Jinyoung said, looking at the eye-catching night lights of the city below. “It’ll be freaking boring.” Jinyoung giggled.

Mark smiled at him, loving the way Jinyoung talks to him. “Is it wrong if I want to be with Jenny sometimes?” he answered. Of course it is. Jinyoung said to himself. He is Jenny too, but it brings a light pang in the chest to know that Mark likes Jenny’s company more than him. Jenny is a girl, and Mark can be totally comfortable around her because boys and girls, according to the books, are only made for each other. On the brighter side, Jinyoung is happy that he’s doing well with his Jenny role. “But I’d still choose you.” Mark added.

“If Minah comes back to you, what are you going to do?” Out of the blue, Jinyoung anxiously asked. His heart raced badly. He doesn’t  want to know the answer; he is not yet ready and he will never be. Mark deserves better. Their cabin is close to the peak. The scene could ease this tension. Hopefully.

Staring right into Jinyoung’s soulful eyes, Mark lost all his grip on his feelings. Holding back is not in the options for now. He could feel a different attraction between them. It’s so strong that it urges him to do something. “What do you want me to do?” Mark asked as if he’s a king under Jinyoung’s control.

“Do you still love her?”

Not hearing a response from his question, Jinyoung kept his straight eye contact with Mark. They both lost a chip of their composure, slowly moving closer to each other. As if Mark is a metal and Jinyoung is a high grade magnet. Hearts beating loud, hands shaking and eyes closed. The cabin is now on the peak of the ride. Their lips collided slowly and sweetly. It felt so perfect; how Mark’s pink lips got a taste of Jinyoung. He’s the one who initiated it, but Jinyoung did the same. He gave in and  moved his head a little to give Mark a better access. That’s when their sweet first kiss turned into a hot, deep and messy one.

Self control is not in their vocabulary for now. Mark’s hands were on Jinyoung’s waist and behind his neck, both pulling the boy closer to him. Jinyoung got both of his hands on Mark’s sides, unconsciously caressing his soft points. It’s passionate and filled with yearning.

But every good thing must come to an end. Jinyoung snapped back to reality and broke the kiss. He moved away from Mark, gasping for air. Jinyoung can’t imagine that he just kissed his best friend. This is not right. “I...I’m sorry, Mark.” He said, keeping the distance between them. “I’m sorry.” He said like a disk on repeat. The anger is there, not for Mark but for himself. This is a ing mess.

Mark felt the same. Crazy how he felt complete after that kiss instead of the guilt. But seeing Jinyoung in this state, hurt and fragile, he couldn’t help but to hate himself thoroughly. Is it his fault at the can’t put nobody else above Jinyoung this time? This night, he realized how much he needed Jinyoung although this friendship could fall at any time.

They awkwardly sat beside each other. The ride is still moving and their cabin is now going down, just like their moods. It escalated quickly yet it crashed so easily. Mark wanted to apologize but he can’t. Saying sorry and words like ‘I didn’t mean it’ are just lame excuses. It visible that he wanted it, despite the utter truth that it’s wrong. They went off the cabin and Jinyoung walked as fast as he can. “Jinyoung, wait!” Mark went in front of him. Rude, but Jinyoung looked down and nervously avoided Mark—walking on the opposite direction, yet Mark held his hand. “I’m going home, dude. I’ll ask my mom to drop off your things at your house tomorrow.” Jinyoung spoke, stuttering and trembling.  He turned around so he could leave.

“I’m sorry, Jinyoung.” Mark finally said. Now, everything felt so wrong. He can’t even understand why he kissed his best friend. Well, lets blame it his impulsiveness for now. Can a lie save him now? “I...I was thinking of Jenny.”

Jinyoung faced him for the last time and beamed. “It’s okay.”

But he’s not. He walked away with the worst weight in his heart. He felt so used. If this is a part of the act, Mark should’ve kissed him when he’s wearing  a wig and flimsy dresses because that’s damn understandable. What happened tonight is invalid. A mistake. A wrong feeling that he must not invest on. Mark is his best friend who needs love from the people around him. I kissed a guy. I kissed my best friend. I kissed Mark. Its been a long day for him, he needs to rest.

 

ing Jenny.