-O4

A Beautiful Catastrophe

Its been exactly three days since the photo of Mark and Jenny surfaced around the internet like a fresh showbiz news. Until now, the said issue still remains as a hot topic within their university for rumors and queries were left unanswered. The students would still talk about it, and it pisses both Jinyoung and Jackson. Its quite unrealistic by now that the hype is still there. It’s just a picture! Why would people put much interest on it? Truth be told, everything is about Jenny. But unlike any other girl who has pretty features, Jenny is just a guy who accidentally wore a wig. How can he cause such huge scoop? This is a concrete example that you can’t believe anything that’s posted on the internet—not all of those are true.

“Can you tell me more about that night?!” Jackson impatiently asked while answering the evaluation sheet for their geology class. Jinyoung was very busy with his work and there’s no way he could entertain a single question right now. If he got all the calculations accurate, its been 20 minutes since Jackson begun asking about the date that they had with Minah, and if his memory also serves him right, he already answered all of Jackson’s pointless inquiries—he even talked like a storyteller while narrating the events that night; detailed and précised.

Jinyoung closed his eyes, recalling a name of a certain kind of rock that their professor mentioned several hours ago. He was close to getting it right, but the way Jackson bothers him made all this memory turn into a ing blur. “Let me finish this first!” he whispered, annoyed yet trying to keep his voice down to stay away from being noticed by the instructor. “Answer yours, too!” he added after seeing his pal’s empty sheet. Out of 45 items, Jackson only got 9 answers and no one knows if all those are correct.

The other whined low. He looked around and carefully faced his classmate sitting behind him. “Hi there, Dahyunie!” Jackson winked at the girl and smirked. Dahyun blushed instantly yet she shyly smiled. “H-Hi Jackson.” She replied. Making sure that his flirting with a purpose method is not garnering too much attention from their other classmates, he looked around then glanced back at the poor girl with his signature grin. He moved closer, and closer. “Your getting beautiful everyday, Dahyun. My heart is always fluttering whenever I see you.” He said before seeing the girl put her pen down to cover her flustered face. “Are you done answering? I need to tell you something.” Jackson continued. He looked in front, noticed that the professor left for a while, and happily talked to his prey again.

Dahyun nodded gently, biting her lips. “I’m done. What are y-you going t-to say?” she stuttered.

Jackson’s grin grew wider. He drew himself nearer, so close that the girl could combust in overflowing feels. “Can I borrow your paper?” then he flashed his iest facial expression that could make any girl wild. As expected, she non-hesitantly gave the sheet to Jackson. Well, what do you expect? This girl has a huge crush on him since freshmen year. Sadly, Jackson’s been using her feelings for him to take advantage on her seatworks, assignments and even exams. “Thank you!” he mumbled before turning around to copy and jot down the answers on his own paper.

“When will you stop doing that to Dahyun?” JInyoung suddenly asked, he already remembered the word that he was dying to recall earlier. Jackson was the one who’s getting busy now. He copied all the answers rapidly, he can’t let their professor catch him. “Now you’re talking.” He replied, eyes on Dahyun’s paper then on his. “Well...” Jinyoung comfortably slouched on his chair and stretched his arms. “I’m done!” he proudly announced.

 The noise inside the room increased as time passed by. There are lots of students who took out their notes and cheated. Jinyoung cringed at the sight. He’s not in the place to make himself clean, everyone cheats sometimes, but evaluations are used to determine a student’s level of understanding and the tallied points will show the lessons which they should focus more. If they cheated and make all their answers correct, its like they deprived themselves from gaining more knowledge about the topic which they failed to understand. “If you think guilt doesn’t visit me sometimes, it does.” Jackson spoke, pertaining to his shameless treatment to Dahyun. “But what can I do? I can’t focus on the lesson because you’re not telling me what happened during the date!” he added angrily.

“I already told you everything, dude! What else do you want to hear?!” Jinyoung complained, tired of hearing Jackson’s rants. “And why would you blame me for your lack of focus?!” Jackson turned around to give back Dahyun’s paper. After 2 minutes, he finished copying all her answers excellently. No wonder, he mastered the art of Ctrl C + Ctrl V.

Jackson looked at him, relieved. “I’m done answering now!” shoving the paper right onto Jinyoung’s face, he felt like all his worries about this said evaluation dissolved like a sugar cube dropped into a cup of hot coffee. JInyoung rolled his eyes. “You mean, you’re done copying now.” He corrected, pushing the sheet away and facing Jackson with a blank expression.

“There’s something that you’re not telling me. I can feel it.” Jackson strongly insisted, slamming his paper back on the table which made Jinyoung jolt a little. “What made you say that?” Jinyoung asked. His friend crossed his arms and sighed. The abrupt arrival of their teacher made the room tranquil again. The papers were passed. “Can you tell the whole story for the final time? I’m begging.” Jackson requested, acting like a kid asking his mom to tell him a bedtime tale. No way to drag himself away from Jackson’s eagerness, he gave in. “This the last time okay?!” Jackson nodded excitedly.

Jinyoung moved closer to prevent any detail from spilling. He vowed to use the mildest and lowest voice that he can utter. “Mark and I arrived late at the restaurant because of the stupid traffic. We were welcomed by stares coming from the people so I told Mark that it feels weird but he kissed me like I want that to happen, but hell no because who wants a surprise yet scripted kiss from Tuan?! I later then realized that its a part of the plan that we must act like a lovey-dovey couple. We went on the table, had some cheap talks with MInah and his high profiled sugar daddy and ate all the served dishes. I ate a lot, forgot that I’m a girl so I kinda ed up right there.” He paused for a while to gasp for air. “I made Minah feel like , thanks to your tips. She personally talked to Mark outside. When they came back, she said that I got no ies at all so Tuan d my expertly. We went home after that. Finally, Jenny said goodbye and Jinyoung said hi. I was about to head home when I saw Mark crying at— ”

 “Hold up!” Jackson yelled, loud enough to make the crowded place silent. All the students looked at them, even their professor, Mr. Byun. As Jinyoung realized the tiny trouble that his friend caused, it seemed too hard for him to go on. “You didn’t tell me that.” Jackson immediately used a low voice. The class went back to normal; They went back to their respective businesses. “Mark cried?” Shocked, he asked.

Jinyoung nodded, the image of Mark crying flashed back in his mind. Mark looked so wasted that night with those tears on his face, eyes all red and puffy. If he could only stay longer, he would allow him to pour all his sorrow on him too just to share the ache. “I seriously want to stay with him that night. He might need someone to talk to, right? But Chaeyong was sick so I had to go home and look after her. Man, he looked so worn out.” He replied, fixing his things and stuffing them inside his bag. He glanced on the board and saw Mr. Byun writing something.

“Woah! That sounds so unreal though. I never imagined that he would cry because of the girl.”  Jackson felt sad somehow. Mark is a strong one, he rarely sheds a tear. But as what people say, love could make you do the things that you’ve never done before. Not that he doesn’t want Mark to be true to his emotions and hold his tears until they naturally dry up, but a person like Minah isn’t worthy of Mark’s tears. Not at all. Anxiety wrapped around Jackson’s heart. “Maybe that’s why he’s not answering my calls and texts.” Jackson took several seconds to lessen the worry that he’s feeling right now. “Have you tried calling him this weekend?” he asked Jinyoung, who’s scanning all the messages in his inbox.

“I don’t have enough balance to give him a call, plus I’m very busy in the flower shop. I was the only person in charge of the shop since my sister’s still sick. We had too much customers that my fingers got splinters and cuts from the flowers. My hands were in pain so there’s no way I could text anyone.” Having a flower shop looks like a good business, not until you’re the one who’s assigned to work there for 3 consecutive days.  “He’s not calling nor texting me, by the way.” He added. Jackson snapped and gazed back at Jinyoung. There was something that he forgot to tell his pal—this could complete the puzzle that they’re trying to fix. “You know Tzuyu, right? Mark’s classmate...” Jackson asked Jinyoung and the other vigorously nodded. “He told me that Mark’s not answering her calls too. They need to work on a special project alongside with their other classmates. She also told me that he didn’t show up in their make-up class yesterday.”

Jinyoung thought of an idea after hearing everything that Tzuyu relayed to Jackson. “Why don’t we drop by his dorm later?” he asked his friend. “I’ve been thinking about that too but...” Jackson felt like their plan will just remain as a plan after seeing the words that heir professor wrote on the white board. He pointed onto it, so Jinyoung read and digested the statements. They both face palmed, stress reigned over their bodies just by thinking about it.

“Okay class...” Mr. Byun talks so well, he can shut even the noisiest student in class. He’s the type of guy that you would see spreading on social media, because there’s no one quite like him with oozing appeal and intelligence. A model like creature he is, yet he chose to teach about rocks and soil. “I will be giving you this research about soil compatibility and its relation to industrial engineering. I need those in my table tomorrow morning and you have to present it in front of the class. ” As expected, the annoying remarks and complains emitted from the ungrateful mouths of the pupils filled the once calm area. Mr. Byun knew this would happen. “Okay, okay. I know you guys are complaining, but this research will save your grades. Remember the exam that I gave three weeks ago?!” he questioned and all of the students nodded. Of course all of them still remember that tough moment for some reason. “No one from this class passed! Now, I’ve decided to give special researches to somehow pull the gigantic loss that could make you all fail this subject. I will let you work in groups, but please be reminded that you need to follow the previous groupings that we have. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.” The tall, slim man with a chesnut-colored hair elaborated before leaving the room. It brought relief to them, knowing that Mr. Byun is kind enough to help them save their grades by giving them the last card. Unlike other teachers who would just let them fail and feel stupid.

They all separated into groups to talk about their research. Jackson and Jinyoung aren’t groupmates though. Jackson was grouped with 3 boys and 3 more girls. On the other side, Jinyoung is contented with his group. There’s this multilingual dude named Namjoon who’s pretty good at rapping and writing songs yet disses his classmates all the time. Jungkook, the youngest one in he class who likes Chris Brown and calls him ‘hyung’. How can he forget about Zelo? The kid with the contagious laugh. They have 2 girls in the group too, Somi and Irene; both are members of the university chorale. Jinyoung feels so useless sometimes, but as a matter of fact, his IQ is a level higher compared to them. In simpler form, he might not have much talents but he’s smart. Oh wait. Is pretending as a girl considered a talent?

“Let’s divide the tasks now!” Jungkook happily suggested while he busily updates his playlist with new songs. All their groupmates agreed. “But I don’t know much about the topic. Do you guys have any idea?” Zelo interrupted, worried and regretful that he refused to keep his ears open during their past discussions. The team shook their heads, but Jinyoung nodded. He knows some parts of it. “I know the coverage. All we have to do now is to gather the data.” Jinyoung leaded the conversation as his groupmates listened carefully, mentally taking down what he’s blabbering.

Namjoon took a small notepad and wrote the possible factors which they have to consider. “I guess we should start getting all the information that we need right now. Then we could compile and study about them later.” Again, the suggestion was easily accepted by all. “But where should we begin? I mean what are the main points in this topic?” he followed after adjusting his chic glasses.

“I’ll let you have my notebook and use it as a reference.” Jinyoung handed them his notebook. “You’re not coming with us?” Irene asked, clueless about Jinyoung’s actions. Since this is a group work which requires group effort, they must do this as a team. 6 brains altogether would surely make likeable results. But in contrast with what his groupmates believe, Jinyoung knew he could do it alone. He lost all his trust on his groupmates when they ed up during a certain report that dragged Jinyoung’s grade to rock bottom.  

He could really just tag along and help them with all the minimal work but his intense worry for Mark’s condition overpowered his current urge to join the group. He thinks about all the free time that he could spend tonight to help the others. The clock says its just 3PM, if he drops by Mark’s crib for three hours, he’ll get home at around 7PM. That means he could still do the research until dawn. What a great way of managing his time.” My mom’s friend is an engineer so I’ll try to interview him. His schedule is pretty tight so I might send my part by 8PM. While waiting for my work, I suggest that you guys better work on the draft.” Jinyoung ordered with politeness.

“Great!” they all chimed in joy. Few more talks and their group dispersed. Jinyoung was left inside the room, looking at Jackson’s group on the other corner. They looked so serious. Not too long, the said group left the room, including Jackson. “Jacks!” Jinyoung called as he followed him outside.

Jackson stopped and looked back. “I hate working with these people, Nyoung. I hate this!” he whispered as they both watched Jackson’s groupmates walk further away, not even waiting for Jackson to walk with them. Jinyoung laughed. “Aren’t we going to Mark’s place?” he asked, hooking an arm on his pal’s shoulders. “We’ll be doing the research on my groupmate’s house.” Jackson sadly replied, hating the fact that he’ll stay with a bunch of people he doesn’t like. “Just tell him that I’m worried and he should stop crying over that cause he’ll get dehydrated and dehydration is one of the main causes of death.” He added while running after his troop. Alone, Jinyoung sighed and walked towards the university’s main gate.

 

He rode a bus enroute to Mark’s location. Good thing, there’s no traffic today. While on his way, Jinyoung contacted the engineer that he mentioned earlier. Mr. Cho is a very busy person according to his mom; and it is because of the countless appointments with executives scheduled to him everyday. If that’s the case, how can an average college student conduct an interview regarding soil and dirt? Nonetheless, he still gave a shot. He dialled his number and was regarded with a series of beeps. Not giving up, Jinyoung dialled for the second time, then third, fourth, until ninth— but the same sound greeted his ear over and over again. I’ll try again later. He promised himself.

15 minutes since his last call, Jinyoung arrived in front of Mark’s door. He knocked twice but no one opened the door. “Mark.” He called before knocking again. He did that repeatedly, until he realized that he’s been wasting too much energy. Mark must be sleeping or maybe he wants to be alone for some more time. Jinyoung thought, but his concern just got intense. His hands accidentally landed on the knob of the door, and without him knowing he’s already twisting it. Surprisingly, the door opened. Jinyoung walked in without permission. What a trespasser.

Upon entering, he noticed the rolls of tissue lying on the ground—those were around 14 pieces if his eyesight is accurate enough. He even saw a light brown beverage on a tall glass which obviously looked like beer. And last but not the least, 3 foil packs of different pills on top of the table. Those were the ones that scared him the most. What’s happening to Mark? The worry turned into fear. Jinyong’s legs lost power to stand so he fell on the couch with a raging heart beat. He can’t see his friend anywhere. Thinking about all the pain that Mark’s been going through hurts him too.

“Hey Jinyoung!” a familiar voice broke the obnoxious silence as Mark stepped out of the comfort room, wearing nothing but an oversized shirt and his boxer shorts. Jinyoung wanted to run towards him to give him a hug, but some sort of anger and disappointment lingered in his nerves. Mark weakly smiled and walked towards the table to gulp on his drink. “What are you doing here?” he asked.

Jinyoung stood up and breathed heavily. He knew that scolding Mark will not help this damned situation but he might come into his senses after his lecture. “Why are you doing this to yourself, Mark?!” Jinyoung shouted, Mark was so confused. “Why the hell are you shouting –”

“You are wasting yourself just because of a stupid girl who made fun of your love?! I know you’re hurting but crying, drinking and taking all these pills will never help you feel better!” As he spit those words, a sheer feeling of accomplishment settled in his heart. At least he was able to express his emotions. “You can always talk to me or Jackson if you need help. You are not answering any calls or texts and not showing up at school. Look at you! You lost weight! Do you want to die early?!” Mark was silent all along. “What the is happening to you?!”

“I have a stomach flu, idiot!” Mark yelled back with a wide grin on his face. He trudged towards Jinyoung’s spot with the tall glass on his hand. Jinyoung was beyond shocked after hearing those words. “B-But –” Mark cut him off with low giggles as he sat down beside Jinyoung, tapping his friend’s knee to calm him down. “Y-You can’t fool me, Tuan!”

“Let me clear this up...” Mark started in a normal tone. “Remember the night we had dinner with Minah?” Jinyoung nodded. “I think I ate a cursed dish that made my stomach hurt so bad. I was about to call you and ask you to buy a medicine but you need to prioritize your sister. Until now, my bowel movement is not getting any better. I can’t eat anything since I would just throw it up afterwards. I can’t even attend any call or message on my phone because I’m always at the bathroom, I’m even planning to live there now. I don’t feel like doing anything, well aside from resting.” He carefully explained. “This is apple juice, not beer. Those pills are anti-biotics and vitamins that my doctor gave. And all these precious rolls of tissues will be used to wipe something, but absolutely not tears.”

Jinyoung was speechless. How can I jump into conclusions so naturally? He glanced at Mark and hit his head with a pillow. “You made me worry!” he spoke, continuously hitting his friend. “You left the door opened! What if someone breaks in and steal your stuff?!

Mark laughed even louder. “Stop talking like my mom!” he joked. “I just got home from the drugstore. My stomach went wild all of a sudden, so I hurried into the comfort room.” For a second, Jinyoung was able to gather his thoughts and meditate. If he only knew that Mark is unwell, he could’ve acted nicer. “Well, I understand why you’re mad. Thanks for your concern.” Jinyoung felt himself trapped within Mark’s embrace.

“No worries, dude.” He gave in, hugging his pal back. “But if there’s something wrong, don’t hesitate to talk to us, okay?” Mark smiled, being surrounded with beautiful souls is truly something that he’s much thankful for. Jinyoung pulled away from the hug and slapped Mark hardly on his thigh, too hard that a red pattern of his hands was imprinted on Tuan’s milky skin. “Ouch!” he yelled, eyes shut in pain. “What was that for?!”

“That’s what you get for making us worry!” Jinyoung answered in an annoying tone. He grabbed the glass of apple juice on Mark’s hand and drank it completely to quench his thirst caused by the heat outside. “Are you feeling better now? I mean, about Minah and Wonho...” JInyoung spoke in a low manner, knowing that this issue is still fresh and sensitive. Mark gave him a blank look. “No time to think about her, dude. My doctor said that stress could worsen my condition so I must stop giving a damn.” Mark was talking normally, no hints of anger in his statements. I seems like he’s slowly healing inside.

Mark’s phone rang in the middle of their conversation, so he ran towards his bed to pick up the gadget that has been neglected for 3 whole days. He went back to his previous spot to join Jinyoung, who’s drinking more apple juice. “Hello?” he answered. Jinyoung looked at him, guessing the person on the other line. Could it be Tzuyu? Most probably its Jackson. But the way his face reacts, maybe its someone special. Mark was grinning. “Oh! Tonight?” he spoke. “Yeah. Sure! See you later!” and he hung up.

How could he still go out if he’s all sick and weak? Jinyoung whispered. All of a sudden, Mark gazed at Jinyoung lovingly, his bright beam blinded the other yet it made him feel strange too. Creepy, gross that Tuan usually does. His eyes focused on Jinyoung hair, moving down and reaching his lower body. Damn! This is really scary now! A sharp smirk made the situation more intense. He moved closer to Jinyoung. “Groom yourself, Jinyoung.” He whispered.

“Huh? Why?”

Mark moved away and went back to his normal behavior. “Wonho called, asking me to attend a party that he organized...” He paused as Jinyoung felt his sweat turn cold. He can’t bear to hear the next words. This is not good. “And Jenny should be there too.” Mark ordered in the most convincing way that he could.

Stuck in the middle of unconnected thoughts, Jinyoung froze. He ungracefully let all his armors down in front of Mark. The last time that he used Jenny’s non-existed identity, he swore himself that he’ll never do that again. He felt so ashamed and embarrassed since the pressure comes not just from Mark but also from the society moving fast around him. “No way!” he yelled, standing from the couch and hooking his bag on his shoulders, all set to leave.

Mark stood as well. “I know its hard for you to do this again, but please help me! We can’t turn down he invite now!”

Jinyoung snatched Mark’s phone. “I’ll call him! I will tell Wonho that Jenny went somewhere and she’s never coming back!“ The emotions building up within Jinyoung’s system is no joke. It does look like a simple task, but who said pretending to be someone you’re not is a piece of cake? True enough that he enjoyed roasting Minah last time, yet the undying fear that their secret could unfold and ruin his name bugs him from time to time. Mark snapped and his instinct pushed him to take his phone back. “Are you crazy!?” he asked Jinyoung.

“You, are you crazy?!” Jinyoung passed the question seriously. “Mark, you said that I will only do it once! Its not that I don’t want to help you at all, but I don’t think I can do this again.” He objected the idea of playing the girlfriend role. Mark looked down, maybe he should understand Jinyoung’s feelings too. Seconds before he could bitterly face defeat, his phone rang once more. Not wasting any time, Mark answered it. A couple of ‘yes’ and ‘okay’ left Mark’s lips. Abruptly, he gave the phone to Jinyoung. “Me?” Clueless, Jinyoung talked before taking the phone.

“Hello?” he asked.

“Hello Jinyoung! It’s me, Mark’s uncle from the Registrar’s office. I just want to congratulate you for  passing in the first screening of the exchange student program. Mark told me how dedicated you are in your studies so I convinced the professors to count you in. All you have to do now is to get better grades & clean record. You can’t give up now that you already made it through the first level.” Guilt suddenly made his heart clench. Jinyoung looked at Mark, sadly staring at the ground. After all the efforts that Mark did for him to be a part of the selection paid off. He’s happy, but not until realizing how useless he is by not helping the other for another instance, especially now that he’s a step closer to his dream because of Mark’s kindness. “O-Okay, Mr. Tuan. " He replied, not holding too many words. Jinyoung kept his soft gaze on Mark. “Thank you. Thank you so much.” Their eyes met and seemed to electrify Jinyoung’s physique. On the other hand, Mark felt fuzzy after hearing Jinyoung say it. He did the right thing after all.

It all ended when Jinyoung ended the call and walked closer to Mark. “Congratulations. I’m happy for you.” Mark muttered, taking his phone back and turning his back on the other. The sorrow that he’s feeling infected Jinyoung easily, and the guilt didn’t let go of him that fast. “Mark...” Jinyoung called, not thinking twice about the future outcome of his another hasty decision. “Yeah?” Mark replied, not turning around.

This is it. “I’ll be Jenny tonight.”

As expected, Mark faced him with a smile. “You sure?” he intrigued, running in Jinyoung’ direction to embrace him but Jinyoung kept on moving away. “Yup. Just....” he struggled as a hyperactive Mark attempts to get a good grip on him. ”...give me decent clothes this time.”

Mark happily held his hand and excitedly dragged him out of the house. Fei’s absence is really a blessing in disguise.

 

“Are you ing serious, Tuan?!” Jinyoung furiously points on the garments laid on the bed. This is what happens when their personal stylist, Jackson Wang, is not around. Mark made all the combinations based on the pictures that he saw on Google. There’s a sleeveless lace cropped top in a shocking blue hue, a high waist black skirt that is too short for him, a denim jacket, blue purse and white stilettos.  This combination looked so revealing; there’s no way he would wear these. “Do you expect a guy like me to wear these? Can we look for other dresses there?” he requested, hoping to find decent ones.

Mark gave him his wig. It’s new since it has less curls now compared to the previous piece. “We are going to a club. It’s an elite party, Nyoung. You can’t dress up like a girl who’s about to attend a formal meeting. Do you want those people to laugh at you?!” Jinyoung thought about it. Mark definitely has a point. The only reason that halts Jinyoung from dealing with these outfit is....”But Mark, I don’t know how walk with these kind of shoes!” Jinyoung took the pair and measured the height of heels. “ing 5 inches! Do you want me to fall down the stairs and die?!” he angrily asked with his signature ‘you better be kidding me’ expression.

“You can hold my hand for balance.” Mark suggested as he gave the bunch of clothes to Jinyoung. “Trust me, dude.” And as said, Jinyoung headed straight to the bathroom to change. After few minutes, he went out, ranting about the skirt. “This is so tight! I feel like its crushing my intestines!” Jinyoung showed Mark the fitted part and he cant help but laugh. He gave one full look on Jinyoung now. He’s already wearing those flimsy garments and he’s so y in it. The smooth skin of his legs, the curves of his body and the alluring face he has, of course.

“Jenny...” Mark mumbled, asking for his hand so Jinyoung held for support. Stilettos are his enemy from now on. “You’re smoking hot!” Mark d his again. Jinyoung didn’t bother to complain about it. It’s okay to let him indulge on the peach since there’s no way Mark’s gotta have it.

Jinyoung flipped his hair and whispered in a sweet voice. “I know, honey. I know.”

 

Welcome back, Jenny.

 

The sun disappeared by now. 8PM and Jinyoung already curse for like 150 times because of his get up. He knew that it’s the perfect clubbing attire because its y and chic but the tight waistline of the skirt digs deep enough to create light scratches on his waist. He can also feel the blisters in his feet caused by the stilettos. Mark’s outfit is the casual clubbing attire, which Jinyoung wished he was wearing instead. They entered the club hand in hand simply because Jinyoung might loss his balance.

Just like what happened in the restaurant, Jinyoung’s beauty froze the life within the crowded place. She looked many times better compared to how he was during the dinner date. This time, Jenny is a classy, high profiled, looking yet foxy lady. Her beauty made the time stop once more as eyes all focused on him. “This is really awkward!” He whispered to Mark, too close that his lips are almost touching the other’s earlobe. They need to act more daring tonight; more provocative in fact. Mark smiled and tightened his hold on Jinyoung’s hand. “You must get used to this.” He ordered sweetly, standing in front of the other just like what he did before. “No! Don’t kiss me!” Jinyoung warned. Mark giggled and ignored his plea, instead Mark wrapped an arm around Jinyoung’s slender waist and pulled him near—bodies against each other. “Relax. We’re here to enjoy.” And he planted a light kiss on Jinyoung’s forehead. I told you not to kiss me, you idiot!

“Mark!” Wonho arrived with a drink on his hand. “Hey Jenny!” he added after seeing Jinyoung behind Mark. Its not uprising that Wonho had a few silent moments to appreciate the living aesthetic that he’s seeing. Jenny is beyond beautiful; there’s no way Minah could top this kind of beauty. “You look good!” the rich man mumbled, looking straight at Mark’s girl. Showing a small detail of possessiveness, Mark drew Jinyoung close to him and held him firmly by the waist. “Of course, she’s perfect.” Then Mark grinned.

“Thank you for inviting us here, Wonho!” Jinyoung said, using her girly voice again. His semi-exposed chest made Wonho stutter for the appropriate words. “N-No problem, Jenny.” He replied. Minah entered the scene all of a sudden, like a poisonous mushroom blooming around a dying wood. She stood beside Wonho and gave Jinyoung an intimidating stare right away. “Are you even invited?” she asked Jinyoung, voice high pitched and sickly annoying. Just before he could reply and slam this lady back to where she belongs, Wonho interrupted. “I told Mark to bring her too. We still have to talk about football teams, right?” Jinyoung recalled this football stuff. Oh! Yeah. We talked about that last week yet we weren’t able to make the conversation longer. “Yes!” Jinyoung happily chimed in a manly voice, but he realized his mistake after it. “Yes, we should talk about that again!” Sweet as a girl in her puberty stage, Jinyoung made use of his Jenny voice.

Minah rolled her eyes and dragged his boyfriend away. “Go ahead and get some drinks! Enjoy the night!” Wonho told them as his voice gradually fades while following Minah. Jinyoung sighed. “What should we do now?” he asked Mark after looking around to see that this party isn’t for people like them. These individuals are sons and daughters of huge personalities, filthy rich and elite. While they’re just normal college students dressed in nice clothes. “You want to stay here?” Mark asked, fully aware that Jinyoung hates this place. The ear shattering club music, the blinking streaks of lights, the scent of alcohol and the chaos happening on the dancefloor are too much for his friend. Jinyoung likes quiet places where he could find peace and comfort. Not to mention, the attention that he’s receiving from the public at that moment made him feel very, very conscious. “I have no choice.” The younger said.

Mark interlaced his fingers with Jinyoung’s and they carefully made way through the wild crowd. Jinyoung was trying to walk naturally despite of the discomfort caused by his attire.  Mark took two bottles of beer served on the bar and dragged Jinyoung upstairs. No questions were asked, Jinyoung just followed because for now, Mark knows what’s best for them. Now on the fifth and final floor of the building, Mark leaded Jinyoung into a steel door which has an access to the empty rooftop. They slowly obeyed the signs and arrived at their destination.

 

“Wow!” Jinyoung said in amazement. The starry night sky welcomed the two like it is only made for them. The cold breeze touches his bare skin, giving him chills. Mark smiled, knowing that this calmness is enough to make Jinyoung’s fears disappear. “It’s so beautiful up here!” he added, removing his killer shoes and walking  at the edge of the area to see the heart stopping cityscape. Moving closer to stand behind his friend, Mark admired him in silence. “But not as beautiful as you.”

Odd, but Jinyoung’s heart seemed to skip a beat—or two—after hearing those words coming for Mark. He maybe pertaining to Jenny, but he can’t prevent himself from getting all these unusual feelings. Its just the both of them in the area, romantic it is, but he’s Jinyoung now. The voice that he’s using is back on its normal baritone, the way he acts and his antics, everything is in Jinyoung’s personality already. That’s prolly the reason why he felt different. “S-Stop it, Mark!” he ordered, laughing. “I’m Jinyoung now.” The coldness of the air gave him shivers despite the fact that he’s already hearing a jacket. Jinyoung hissed.

Mark removed his coat and draped it all over Jinyoung’s shoulders. “But Park Jinyoung is beautiful too.”

Jinyoung blushed. How can his friend made him feel this way? “Dude, stop it. You’re creeping me out!” he answered, taking one of the beer bottle and making a gulp. Mark kept his tender gaze at the other. “I’m telling the truth.” Mark replied, drinking from his own bottle as well. Jinyoung caught his action and snatched the beverage away from his cold hand. “Alcohol will worsen your stomach flu.” Mark smiled at his words.

“You know, if you’re a girl or if I’m a girl and we are not friends, I’d definitely hit on you.” Mark said naturally, liking the atmosphere on the rooftop. He just cant stop himself from admiring his close friend. Jinyoung took it as a compliment, no valid excuse to feel bad about it. “Because of my looks?” he asked.

The other looked up at the sky. “No. You are kind, smart, funny at certain situations and very caring. Looks are just extra points. And yeah, you are always ready to help.  See? You sacrificed your dignity for this!” and they burst into genuine laughter.

“It’s because you helped me too.” Jinyoung declared, holding Mark’s hand as a way of thanksgiving. “This is what friends are for, right?!” Mark nodded. “But seriously, you look so fine. I guess, out of the three of us, you’re the one who has the best features.” Clearing all the formalities, Mark compared Jinyoung with himself and Jackson. The noise downstairs is not reaching this place so their voices are clear as a purified drinking water. Since they started talking like this, Jinyoung’s heart begun fluttering, but he’s too afraid to know why.

“You are the finest, Tuan.” He answered, taking another sip on his beer. “Cut the humble bragging.” They took several seconds to breathe in the fresh air. The night is young, and this conversation is turning out great. This would even count as a confession hour, since they’ve been telling each other the feelings and realizations that they had after their pretending deal. “I’ll have a huge crush on you if I were a girl and if you were a girl, I’ll fantasize about you, day and night.” Jinyoung smiled to himself, he looked at Mark just to see that the man is already looking at him in a way that could melt anyone’s knees.

“You don’t have to be a girl to have a crush on me.”

“What the !?” Jinyoung responded while watching Mark take the victory. “I’m so proud that I know how to piss you off.” Mark teased, gasping for air because he’s starting to laugh hard now. Jinyoung had no ways to fight back, so he glanced at his small wrist watch to see the time. 9:47 PM. “I gotta go now, Mark!” he hurriedly said, wearing his shoes rapidly and gaining all the balance that he needs.

Mark was clueless. “Why? Chaeyoung is still sick?”

Panicking and certainly not in the mood for cozy talks, Jinyoung pulled Mark to assist him. “I need to talk to my mom’s friend for a group research! My groupmates are waiting for my part!” he replied as his heart raged badly with thoughts of his groupmates blaming him to the extremes. They left the rooftop and swiftly went downstairs, not giving a damn about the height of his shoes. The only thing that matters to him right now is to arrive home so he could start all the researching stuff. The staircase is empty; everyone is partying at the lower floor.

But luck is not on Jinyoung’s side tonight. As he and Mark went downstairs, Jinyoung accidentally tripped on a metal railing and it made him fall down in the remaining 6 steps. “Jinyoung!” Mark yelled after seeing how his friend lying on the ground, wincing in pain. His back strongly hit the concrete and his right arm received all the pressure when he landed badly. Mark sat beside him and helped him sit. “Are you okay?” he asked.

“Do I look okay?!” Jinyoung replied, tears pooling on his eyelids. “My entire body hurts!” he complained. Mark was about to carry him but he halted the other. “I can walk. Just help me a little. I need more balance.” He requested so Mark followed. Jinyoung knows what’s best for himself now. Jinyoung hooked an arm on Mark’s shoulders for support. But after few steps, Jinyoung felt a stinging pain in his hips. “Mark...wait up!”

“What is it?” Filled with concern, Mark asked. “There’s something painful in my hips, mind checking it?” Jinyoung’s voice is low since the pain from falling remains vivid. Mark had no other choice but to help his friend. He pushed Jinyoung against the wall. He lifted Jinyoung’s skirt and saw dark red stretches near his navel. Some of the lines are bleeding lightly. These wounds are caused by the friction between the stairs where we fell and the fabric of his ultra tight skirt. “You have some band aids there?” Mark asked and Jinyoung gave him three strips. Who would have known that his purse contains band aids and a small bottle of isopropyl alcohol. A boy scout indeed.

In a different view, it looked like Jenny is against the wall, trapped my Mark with her skirt lifted up, mouth wide open and eyes shut for unknown reason. It looked so . Mark poured some alcohol on his hands. “This might hurt a little bit.” He whispered, so Jinyoung gripped on his shoulders for support. With no warning, he moved near and rubbed the liquid onto the wounded area. “A-A-Ah! I-It hurts!” he stuttered. “It’s okay. I’m gonna put in on now to make you feel better.” Mark calmed him down while placing the cute band-aid on the sore area.

“OH MY GOD! WHAT ARE YOU TWO DOING THERE?!” Minah shouted too loud that it could break anyone’s ear drums. Mark turned around, still holding Jinyoung’s skirt. His face was sweaty and his hair was messed up. Same with Jenny, who looked more exhausted. Mark was shocked yet he hide it. A perfect excuse could save the both of them from the misunderstood scene but Jinyoung has better plans.

He held Mark’s arm and covered his face with another hand. “I told you to wait until we get home!” the flirtatious voice brought laugher in Mark’s face. “I know you want to try doing it in the stairs but not here! Look, your friend saw us! This is embarrassing!” Jinyoung acted shy, but deep inside he wanted to roll on the floor and laugh because of Minah’s reaction. The girl was surprised, eyes wide open and obviously ruined inside.  Mark got the role that he needs to live up to. “I’m sorry, babe. I can’t help it! You’re too hot!” they made their voices louder, intentionally letting Minah to hear all those disgustingly cheesy statements.

Minah was speechless. “Let’s go home, baby. We need to finish what we started.” Jinyoung said as he endured the body pain just to take Mark with him. They walked pass Minah with a grin and just before they hit the exit, Jinyoung made sure that he still wears the crown for slaying the girl who played with his best friend’s fragile heart. “Sorry for not joining the party downstairs, we’re having our own party up here.” A y smile and a dash of sass to end this talk then the couple left.

 

The day ended when Mark hailed a cab and gently assisted the injured Jinyoung inside. “I should’ve chose simpler clothes for you. I’m sorry. Do you want to get your arm check at the hospital?!” the guilt and concern drove him crazy deep down. He cant digest the truth that he’s the one who pushed Jinyoung into this although its against his will, and because of his impulsive decisions, Jinyoung got hurt. “I’m okay. Wake me up when we arrive at your dorm.” The last thing on Jinyoung’s mind is the research paper and the interview after promising that he’ll only take a short nap. Today’s stress level is higher than the Everest; physically, mentally and emotionally.

 

 

The sounds coming from the alarm clock took Jinyoung away from his slumber. Still craving for more sleep, Jinyoung opened his eyes and yawned. Where am I? He asked himself after seeing the celling. He glanced nervously on his right side then to his left. “Mark!” he shouted in surprise. Mark was sleeping so peaceful beside him, with an arm circled around his waist. Technically, Mark is hugging him. There, his thoughts were filtered. He slept on the cab last night after their mission in the club. He’s supposed to drop by Mark’s dorm to change his clothes then head home to finish the research paper with his groupmates. But as far as he could see himself right now, he’s in Mark’s bed, wearing noting but his boxer shorts and for the worst, he’s not able to participate in the research. DAMN!

“Wake up, Tuan!” Jinyoung shook Mark’s body. The other stirred yet he chose not to get up. “It’s too early, baby.” He mumbled against his white pillow, 78% of him is still asleep. Jinyoung was close to screaming wildly. Mark is too much. “Shut up! Get your off the bed and talk to me!” he yelled, kicking Mark so strong he rolled out of the bed.

“What is your problem, Jinyoung?!” he groaned, getting up from the ground with yawn. “What did you do to me?!” Jinyoung asked, covering his body with the blanket. Mark’s thoughts are still jumbled. After falling from the bed and having an instant body ache, he’ll be facing pointless queries in this time of the day. Great. He stood up. “You slept on the cab. I tried so hard to wake you up when we got here, but you were like on comatose. I removed all your clothes because its scorching hot last night, and the blame goes to my broken air conditioner.” He explained, annoyed and mad that he’s being the bad guy in the story, well in fact he helped as much as he can.

My bad. Jinyoung realized. He slowly moved out of the bed but the pain on his arms and waist is still there. Mark helped him. He can’t stay mad at Jinyoung thought. “You can borrow my uniform if you want. Take a bath and I’ll cook some food for you.”

“No need to cook for me. I need to arrive early and talk to my groupmates.” Jinyoung sadly said. He felt like he destroyed all the trust that his mates poured on him. “If we fail in this, its all my fault.”  

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have asked you to come along with me.”

Jinyoung can’t hate Mark now. It’s his fault. He is not responsible enough. “Don’t apologize, Mark.” Jinyoung patted is shoulder. “It’s my problem and I’m the only one who deserves all the blame. I’m sorry for causing too much trouble.” And he went inside the bathroom to wash out all the negativities consuming his physique. He went out later on, wore Mark’s spare uniform and prepared his things. As Jinyoung trudged towards the door to leave, Mark watched him in silence. Seeing Jinyoung in this state saddens him; especially when he knew that he did something to make Jinyoung feel like . “Jinyoungie...” he softly called, so Jinyoung faced him with a fake smile. “Yes?”

Mark didn’t say anything. He stood up and launched himself to embrace Jinyoung. That’s the best thing he could do now. “See you later at school.” He whispered, securing him even more in his arms. The warmth of Jinyoung is enough to make all  the guilt in his heart fade away. The other hugged him back and the moment just turned out to be utterly perfect.

 

 

The refreshing morning breeze gave Jinyoung a tiny chip of tranquillity. He loves walking in the hallways when the weather is nice; its relaxing. He stopped right in front of his classroom and peeked through the glass window. He saw his groupmates chatting on a corner. They’re talking about me. He told himself. He wanted to tell them what happened. But can he really spill it like ‘I wasnt able to pass my part since I was at the club last night to pretend to be Mark’s girlfriend. I was so exhausted so I fell asleep’? No. He can’t say that. No matter what excuse he might use now, the fact that he left his groupmates hanging remains solid.

Last 10 minutes before Mr. Byun starts his class, how can he face his groupmates now? “Are you okay?” a familiar voice asked. Jinyoung nervously looked back and saw the person standing behind him. “Hey Jaebum!” he greeted normally. Jaebum isn’t that dumb to tell that everything’s fine. The sadness radiates off Jinyoung’s body. “What’s wrong with you?” he questioned, noticing the way Jinyoung’s fingers moved. The thing about this guy is that he gets a full view on everything. You cant really hide anything from him. The other hesitated to tell the truth. Why? First, they’re not that close. Second, he’s afraid to get judged. Lastly, he might slip and tell the secret connections between him and Mark.

“Feelings are meant to be expressed. Come on, I won’t judge you.” Jaebum encouraged. The determination is there; the strong urge to help is present. Telling some bits wont hurt anyway, so Jinyoung did.

“I promised my groupmates to conduct an interview to a professional regarding our topic in geology. Too bad, I...I fell from the stairs last night and because of that, I wasn’t able to send my part. I mean, how can you function when you’re injured? I almost died!” he paused, thinking if he said the right words. ”They already passed the final hardcopy to Mr. Byun. Our group will present later and my section in that cursed paper is pretty clean because its blank. Jinyoung exhaled deeply, close to breaking down. “I’m such a massive disappointment.”

Jaebum’s expression changed immediately. “Are you feeling better now? Any serious injuries found? You want to go to the clinic?” his questions were too fast that Jinyoung couldn’t catch up with his pace. Jinyoung shook his head. “My body still hurts but it’s not my concern for now. I don’t know how to clean up this mess.” The hopelessness is sensed in his tone. He suddenly saw Mr. Byun walking towards the classroom. Here comes trouble. The professor came closer, and closer.

Mr. Byun stopped before Jinyoung and Jaebum. “You’re gonna attend my class or not?” he asked Jinyoung. “I...I will, sir.” He nervously replied. The professor averted his sight to Jaebum now. “And you, Mr. Im from the College of Economics, why are you here?”

“I’m a part of Jinyoung’s presentation.”

“What?!” Taken aback, Jinyoung voiced out. Jaebum is smiling at the professor like he’s been planning all these since the beginning of time. “Okay. Get in now.” After Mr. Byun entered the room, Jinyoung turned to Jaebum and slapped his arm. “What are you doing!? Why’d you –”

Giggling at how cute Jinyoung is when he’s mad, Jaebum opened the door and pushed him inside the room. “Trust me. We got this.” The moment that Jaebum said ‘we’, that’s when Jinyoung felt safe. At least someone’s there to back him up. The entire class was surpised after seeing Jaebum, the great Im Jaebum, inside the room. Jinyoung glanced at his groupmates who gave him a cold look. It shattered his heart into particles.

 The group presentation started. Jinyoung and Jaebum remained silent as the other groups talked in front. All are pretty impressive so far. “Last group, Park Jinyoung and his mates.” As their group walked in front of the class, Jinyoung looked at his groupmates. “Let’s do our best.” He reminded, yet they ignored him completely. Following the sequence in the research paper, Irene was the first one to talk. The rest of the members did the parts and the professor looked entertained.

Jinyoung’s part is placed on the last sheet. “Where’s your article, Mr. Park? A title cannot live alone.” Mr. Byun said after hearing the rest of the group present their topics. Jinyoung was close to collapsing. How will he find a way to get out of this misfortune? “Excuse me, sir.” Jaebum interrupted all of a sudden.  He joined the group in front and settled next to Jinyoung. “Jinyoung’s chosen task for the presentation is to interview someone about the topic that you gave. I’m the person that he interviewed. He wanted to put the summary of the interview in the paper but I opposed. I insisted to stand before all of you as Mr. Park....” Jaebum beamed at Jinyoung. “...conducts the interview again.  I believe that in this way, the topic will be well tackled in the point of view of a future economist.”

Jaebum must be a superhero in his past life. A life saver. A miracle. A blessing. An angel—all the good things in the universe.

All the worry in Jinyoung’s heart dissolved and turned into strength. He took a good grip on his emotions. He’s so happy, he wanted to jump over and over again, but he must finish this presentation first. They started the impromptu interview. Jaebum is a smart one, he knows how to elaborate each topic and make it sound more interesting. Their presentation ended with a round of applause coming from the entire class. Their group received the highest mark and was dubbed as the best presentation so far by Mr. Byun. As expected, Jinyoung reconciled with his groupmates after that. He apologized and thanked them for understanding. His mates did the same, they even got really concerned about Jinyoung’s health after knowing the stair accident.

Break time and everyone left the room. Jackson went home to sleep, wanting to regain all the energy that he lost from pulling an all-nighter with his annoying groupmates. “Thank you so much, Mr. Economist!” Jinyoung happily cheered while looking at Jaebum. “I don’t know how to –”

“Are you happy?” Jaebum interrupted so Jinyoung nodded. “There’s no need to repay me for this. I’m contented just by knowing that I made you happy.” Jinyoung was out of words so he smiled in return. The bright grin from the lad’s lips made Jaebum feel right.

“Nyoung!” someone called and successfully got his attention. Seungcheol entered the room while holding a bag of his favorite foods and the book that he’s dying to buy. “Someone wants to give you these.” He handed all the items on Jinyoung’s desk. There are strawberry milks, matcha pretzels, salted caramel popcorns, a spicy cheese chicken meal for lunch and more! Plus the best thing about this package is the book, Rant By Chuck Palahniuk.

Seungcheol left them alone. Jinyoung took the book and flipped through the pages. The smell of a new book enchants him in every aspect. A small note fell, a light blue paper folded like a heart. Well, the package sender got some mad origami skills. Jinyoung picked it up and unfolded the sheet to read the message.

 

Jackson told me that you nailed the presentation. I’m so proud of you! Just keep on making your grades good, and I’ll do everything that I can to help you with the exchange student program. Again, I want to apologize for everything that happened last night until this morning. I kinda regret everything, but I don’t regret cuddling you to sleep. You’re so cute (>.<)

Congratulations, Peachy!

From,

The most handsome Penguin on earth ;)

PS; I’m at the canteen right now. If you want to, you can drop by and join me for lunch because I’m alone and........I miss you lol

 

The smile on Jinyoung’s face is a good evidence that the happiness that he’s feeling is beyond him; the way his lips curled, his eyes twinkled and how he kept on trying to push his smile to the limit. Jinyoung looked at Jaebum. “I need to go, Jaebum. Thanks again! See you around!” and he rushed out of the room with carrying all his things and wearing the brightest smile that he ever did so far.

Jaebum realized an important thing after observing Jinyoung’s beams for the past minute. He’s not the type of person that would jump into conclusions, but he cant help it. For the first time, he got a taste of jealously, and he doesn’t want to have another bite of it anymore.  Maybe those sweet smiles already belong to someone, and its not him.

 

 

 

 

A/N ; 

SORRY FOR THE TYPOS ( ㅠㅅ ㅠ)