-O3

A Beautiful Catastrophe

The cab stopped right in front of a fancy restaurant located at the upscale part of the city. For the past 40 minutes spent on travelling, Jinyoung decided to keep his mouth shut just to make himself calm and maybe give Mark same peace of mind as well. If he was to analyse his friend’s feelings by the way he looks, he could tell that Mark’s sorrow and uncertainty still drags him down to his lowest point. He was quiet during the ride too, but in times when he felt like Jinyoung is uneasy—whether it is caused by his attire or the whole pretending act—Mark would break his silence for a minute and help the other get a good grip on their current stand. Jinyoung is scared; its inevitable. If he could just drop this out of this world agreement at the very moment, he would. But a quick recap of Mark and his suffering would make him change his mind. After all, his friend helped him get over a huge a dilemma and even pushed him a step closer to his dreams. Helping Mark get back at the girl who broke him is the best form of comfort that he could provide at the moment.

Mark helped him get off the vehicle. “Woah! Who chose this place?” Jinyoung asked as he carefully fixed his dress, he keeps on pulling it down to cover his thighs but its not working since the garment is really designed short. “Minah. I bet she’ll let her rich boyfriend pay.” Mark bitterly said as they stood right in front of the place. People came in; they all looked posh and classy. As seconds passed by without anyone breaking the thrilling silence, Jinyoung glanced at Mark just to see his face filled with anxiety—even his fingers are shaking.

Seeing his beloved friend in such state bothered Jinyoung a lot. Not to mention, it pushed all his buttons to be a part of this revenge. Now, he understood the pain that Mark is dealing with. Seeing him like this slowly breaks his heart as well. “Do you still want to do this?” Jinyoung asked, worried that Mark is not yet ready for what this night could bring. He rubbed Mark’s back. “Once we enter that door, there’s no going back.” Jinyoung added, pointing onto the maple-colored door before them.

“I don’t want to lose, Jinyoung.” Mark replied with a determined yet still stressed out voice. He peeked through the glass window and saw the couple that they’ll be joining for tonight. Mark’s heart clenched after noticing how sweet Minah is around Wonho. As a matter of fact, they’ve never been this sweet during their past dates. Now he realized how being a side lover feels like. It’s obvious that all the love that Mark gave her still goes to Wonho at the end of each and every day. With a deep sigh, Mark held Jinyoung’s hand. He held it tightly—he needs enough strength now. “Let’s go in, Jenny.” And he tried his best to smile.

 

They walked hand in hand until the reached inside. The lights were pretty blinding but the band playing on the right corner of the hall can be seen clearly. The smell of good food energized every dead nerve in Jinyoung’s system. One negative thing that he noticed was how these people around looked at him and Mark. As his friend took the lead towards Minah’s table, everyone locked their gazes on Jinyoung. They walked pass a couple, and the guy stared at him really hard. Creepy! Jinyoung thought. Next was a waiter walking with a tray of wine glasses on his hand. He was looking at Jinyoung with his mouth open and unfortunately, he bumped onto a customer who happened to be staring at Jinyoung too.

Why are they looking at me!? As Jinyoung shyly looked around, he met roughly a hundred pairs of eyes focused on him. “Mark!” Jinyoung whispered while walking. Little did he noticed that the world inside the restaurant seemed to stop when they entered. “If your dress is itchy, please scratch it in a girly manner!” Mark replied in a low voice, assuming that his girl would complain about his dress again because he’s been ranting for almost an hour now. Jinyoung rolled his eyes before catching up with Mark’s speed. “Why are they looking at me?! Do I still look too masculine?!” he intrigued, scared for his life.

Mark stopped walking all of a sudden. He faced Jinyoung and pinched his cheeks. “Your beauty could make anyone droll.” And his statement was followed by a sudden kiss on the  left cheek. “You’re so beautiful.” True. The entire place was mesmerized.

“What the f—” Jinyoung released his manly voice unconsciously, but as he saw all those creepy gazes surrounding him and Mark, he needs to be Jenny even when cursing. He was planning to file his argument regarding this abrupt kissing stint, but Mark leaned closer. “We’re close to Minah’s table. Get ready.” And they continued walking. Jinyoung noticed how the guys around them started wearing disappointed faces, probably because the lady beneath the spotlight is already taken.

A kiss on the cheek is not that new to him though. They’ve been pals for a long time and there’s no issue  about those playful kisses. Jackson even kissed him on the forehead while he was crying over the fight that he had with his dad in relation to the student exchange program. Mark also kissed him on the cheek after getting a perfect score in an exam that he didn’t study for. Kisses coming from his friends are normal for its an expression of unbearable emotion, but its odd to get one because he’s a girl and playing a girlfriend role now. Mark kissed Jenny though, not Jinyoung.

Approximately a meter away from Minah and Wonho’s spot, Mark felt his insides crumble. He can’t even look at them straight and his grip on Jinyoung’s hand get tighter and tighter. Minah’s grin brings a tidal wave of feelings that he tries to forget. He stopped right in front of them. “Sorry to keep you waiting. The traffic was bad.” Mark said as a greeting to the couple sitting before them. Jinyoung stayed behind his friend, still not having enough courage to do his task. He peeped through Mark’s shoulder to see Minah and his man. Can I finish this without getting harmed or violated at all?! Jinyoung thought.

“No worries. Take a seat!” Minah happily said as she gestured the couple to sit on the vacant chairs in front of them. The loud thumps in Jinyoung’s heart got even louder; like the mentioned organ could pop out of his chest in less than 3 seconds from now. Mark beamed a little as he kept his hold on Jinyoung’s hand, lightly tugging him to settle next to him. He sat in front Wonho, and Jinyoung was left with no other choice so he sat facing Minah—who’s greeting him with a devilish grin and a raised brow. What a ! Jinyoung said at the back of his mind as he tries to breathe normally. He might mess up anytime if he does something strange so better be calm and stay in character. I am Jenny. I am Jenny. I am Jenny. He mentally chanted. I must help Mark for he helped me too. I’m doing this for my friend and I must not fail! I don’t want to waste all their efforts –

“Is this your girl?!” Probably one of the most annoying voices that Jinyoung ever heard in his entire life spoke out of the blue and interrupted all his mental conditioning minute. She was pointing to Jinyoung, with her index finger and that long, red colored nail directing straight onto him. The girl looked so unamused as she asked Mark about Jenny’s genuine relationship to him. Jinyoung nervously taps his fingers against his thigh. Jenny can’t do Jinyoung’s mannerisms. He must stay proper.

Mark smiled wide and wrapped an arm around Jinyoung’s waist, then pulled him closer. “Yeah! By the way, this is Jenny.” He introduced and maybe because of the shock, Jinyoung unintentionally gave them a forced smile. “Jenny, this is Minah and Wonho.” Mark added and still caught in a serious fright attack, Jinyoung nervously nodded.

As Jinyoung sat there to observe for a while, he noticed all the differences between Mark and Wonho. His friend is just a normal college dude and Wonho is just the opposite. He’s filthy rich, Jinyoung can say it just by looking at his attire to tonight. Everything from his top until his kicks are branded and insanely expensive; the cost of his watch is equivalent to Jinyoung’s tuition fee for 5 semesters. While Mark is a person who would spend hours buying nice clothes on thrift shops although he’s got enough money to buy new and branded ones. The watch that he’s using is the first thing that he bought out of his savings, that was 3 years ago and it costs less than a thousand. Despite of their contrasting status in life, Jinyoung believes that there’s something good about Wonho too, since there’s something bad about Mark anyway.

Minah’s been judging him hard for the past minutes. Jinyoung felt so uncomfortable with it. “N-Nice to meet you, Minah.” Jinyoung said using his girly voice. But it didn’t turned out to be that fine. Minah smirked at him and ignored his words as if he just talked to the thick air along those spaces.

“Didn’t know you’re into these types, Tuan!” Minah released another statement which somehow helped to turn on Jinyoung’s savage side. “She’s like a pasta without any sauce or even seasoning at all. So plain and dead boring!” She added with her insulting voice and annoying chuckles. Mark gazed at Jinyoung, planning to answer in a nice way, but Jenny knew what to do during these scenes. Thanks to Jackson and to his ‘how to slay a conversation’ tips.

“He loves eating pasta with no sauce though.” Jinyoung replied with a pout. He glanced at Mark as a smirk formed on their lips. Park Jenny saves the day! Mark thought as they fist bumped beneath the table. Jenny continues to act sweet and poised but his adrenaline starts to get fuzzy this time. One slip, either is real manly voice or some confidential yet parallel statements, and he might greatly destroy everything that they planned perfectly. “I guess its just a matter of variation, Minah.” Jinyoung added, playing with the curls of his shiny wig. “Sometimes, he likes plain pasta, but he would want them covered with red or white sauce during some nights. But it doesn’t matter. As long as he’s enjoying the food that I’m making for him and he’s happy with me, I’m not worried at all.” He added with a sweet grin of victory. Jinyoung slightly warped the topic to see how Minah reacts.

Wonho remained silent as he allowed the girls to do all the talking. “For a lady like you, I didn’t expect that you can cook! I mean, you look so classy and high profiled!” he broke his silence in the best way. He was amazed my what Jenny said. Really, Jinyoung can cook since his grandmother owns a restaurant before and being a good grandson he is, he helped her prepare the dishes which will be served. Mark laughed with Wonho, they’re getting along. Just to join the small bandwagon, Jinyoung laughed as well. Too bad, Minah can’t dive in to the fun. She’s just sitting there with her unwavering face look.

Mark took his part now. He can’t let his girl fight alone. “I’m telling you, she’s extraordinary! Jenny grew up in a simple family so she knows every chore in the house. And her dishes are the bomb! I even told her to audition for Iron Chef, but she said no because he’s afraid to defeat everyone!” And they all laughed again, except Minah of course, because she is a living ball of hate. Jinyoung was cackling too with a feminine voice. Mark’s non-sense blabbering is somehow useful now. He’s trying to control his loud laughs for he might drop his fake voice and raise the manly one.

“If she can do all the chores, then let her be a maid then.” Minah bitterly remarked, and honestly speaking, that kinda killed the vibe these three gentlemen—one is pretending as a lady— are having. But Jinyoung can’t stop now, specially that he’s already seeing how Minah negatively takes the situation. “I’m willing to be his maid.” Jinyoung replied as he looked right into Mark’s eyes. A seductive stare that scared Mark for a second. He was close to cursing out loud, but he remembered that he must endure this kind of cheesiness for the sake of their mission. I need a better comeback! Mark searched for the words that Jackson would say if he is in Mark’s position right now. But damn, Jinyoung’s beauty is distracting him. “I...I can’t let you be my maid. You’re worth more than all the diamonds in this planet. My Jenny is too precious!” and he pinched Jinyoung’s nose. It happened to be so hard that the smile on Jinyoung’s lips disappeared after feeling the pain on Mark’s thin fingers crushing his nose. you, Tuan! He wanted to slap his face but he can’t. They’re not friends now. He’s not even Jinyoung now.

“How long have you been together?” Wonho inquired with a positive tone. He was looking at Jinyoung. ! Jinyoung internally panicked. Mark didn’t tell him anything about these. Going back to how Mark shredded every detail of what he said to Minah during their on the spot break-up, Jinyoung was certain that Mark mentioned a number of months that measures how long he’s been dating his girl. But because he was so drunk, these tiny information faded so easily. He bit his lips, mentally breaking down. “Uhhhmmm.....” he said, sweat rolling down his temple. He felt a finger on his thighs, it made him jolt a little. It was Mark, drawing a number on his skin. The horror became too intense that he could barely recognize the figure. All he know is that it has a circle. “9 months!” he said, very unconfident.

“Mark said you’ve been dating for 10 months?!” Minah butted in like a girl who just saw a way to attack the opponent. She remained confused, while Jinyoung was at the edge of slamming his head on the table. Good thing, Mark came in to the rescue. “We celebrated our 10th month last week, remember?! Count that in!” Jinyoung nodded to hide his mistake. “I’m sorry! I forgot. You know, I’ve been very busy with school stuff lately.” The younger mentioned.

And that’s when Minah found another weak spot. “You must be all eyes on your grades and academics. If I were you, I’ll keep an eye on my man too.” She said while looking at Mark. “Who knows, maybe his eyes are already fixed on someone else.” Then she gazed back at Jinyoung with a grin.

JInyoung lost it there. As Mark’s close friend, he can’t accept the fact that he’s being humiliated by a woman who did worse. Minah is the cheater here, she can’t just throw that on Mark while she keeps herself all clean and pure. “He can look at other girls.” Jinyoung started. “But you know what,” he moved closer to Mark and rested his head on his friend’s shoulder. This is gross! I don’t want to be this clingy to Tuan! “At the end of the day of each and every, the only one who would get the chance to sleep beside him is me.” Mark was taken aback, yet he loved Jinyoung’s fierce and bold sentences.

“Yes, he might sleep beside you but how sure are you that he’s still in love with you?” Determined to win, Minah countered in the most intimidating way that she can. This ant is not yet dead?! Jinyoung rolled his eyes and sat back properly on his chair. “If you’re gonna tell me that Mark keeps on telling you that he loves you so much, well think again. Words aren’t enough, girl. They will never be enough.” She delivered her lines like an award-winning antagonist in a movie. But Park Jenny will never go down without a better award. She moved forward, spaces between his face and Minah lessens.

Jinyoung grinned wickedly before anything else. “Apparently, he’s very good at making me feel it. Do you want me to tell you how? You want to hear every single detail? Well, get a good grip. It will make you drool. Too bad, those actions are exclusive—only for me.” He knew he did it. Who wouldn’t drive someone mad by the spoke; so smooth and proud. He chose not to mention any deed since he wanted Minah to get lost in her own wild imagination.

The conversation heated real quick. The two became too immersed to the topic and without them knowing, the meals are gradually filling the round table. “Let’s eat!” Mark prevented the bigger trouble that they might cause. Under the table, again, they fist bumped for like 6 times. “Go ahead!” Wonho said while looking at Mark, gesturing him to take some soup for Jinyoung.

 

But now that all these glorious platters filled with scrumptious foods are served, can a hungry Jenny maintain his sassiness? His mouth watered uncontrollably after seeing the juicy steak. Lots of dishes were served and every single one drives Jinyoung crazy. As far as he could remember, he wasn’t able to eat anything for breakfast since he’s running late for his first class. He ate a sandwich for lunch, yet he wasn’t able to finish it because he’s too worried about the photo and it made him lose his appetite. This is going to be the first meal that he’ll be having for today. His stomach grumbled, he was lucky that no one heard it. The foods kept on coming—savory ramen, stir fried vegetables, pork barbeque, fish fillets, kimchi stew and more! His hands were shaking in excitement, he can’t wait any longer to stuff everything into his mouth.

Mark scooped some stew after letting Wonho and Minah dig in first. Before he could get another bowl for Jinyoung, he was surprised by how Jinyoung’s plate looked like. Each dish has a place on his plate, its was so many that its unbelievable for a girl for finish. Damn Park Jinyoung, keep your image! Mark mentally screamed. Without any warning, Jinyoung started eating rapidly. He looked like a man who starved for 3 whole days. Even the way that he held his utensils happened to be so manly, the way he chewed and all. This is not Jenny anymore. This is now Jinyoung. A very hungry Jinyoung.

His sudden change of manners alarmed Minah and Wonho. They were left dumbfounded as they observed how the beautiful lady ate like a barbarian. It didn’t stop Jinyoung from eating though. All he’s thinking about now is how these foods sent him to cloud nine. “J-Jenny!” Mark cleared his throat but Jinyoung was to busy to talk back. “Hmmm?” he replied while chewing, his cheeks puffed and filled with food. Mark nervously stepped on Jinyoung’s foot. “Jenny, take it easy!” he gently said before smiling.

For a short while, Jinyoung went back to his normal self. He glanced at Minah and Wonho, then to his plate. Damn. Ashamed, he laughed to ease the awkwardness. “I need to eat a lot since I have a very active lifestyle. Plus, I don’t get fat.” He excused and they believed. Mark gave him a death stare before eating. This is the part when Jinyoung has to act so mannered and gentle while eating although he’s about to die from hunger. Sometimes, you need to drop all the formalities to get want you want as soon as possible. But he must be a lady now.

“Wonho is the son of Mr. Lee. The president and CEO of Lee Group of Companies. He’s taking a degree on Business Management and Advertising in an international school at Incheon.” Minah boasted and Jinyoung wanted to slap her with a steak. “We’ve been together for 8 months now. We like shopping together and attending socialite parties. We are living an elite lifestyle since that’s what suits us.” She added while drinking some wine. “I love him so much!” and she kissed his lips passionately.

Mark looked away. The pain which he wasn’t able to feel yesterday emerged tonight after seeing them kiss that way. It hurts so bad to see it right in front of him. Jinyoung saw the sadness in Mark’s eyes. He must do something. “That’s cool! Mark and I likes to travel and explore. We spend our free time at home, reading books, watching movies and cuddling. We do household chores together and play with random children in the playground every afternoon. When the weather is bad, we dance in the rain then we’ll both get colds afterwards. Can you imagine us sneezing at the same time?!” Jinyoung laughed and looked at Mark, comforting him in the best way that he can. These lies can’t make him feel totally well, but he fact that his friend is trying hard to erase that sorrow in his heart simply brings a beam on his lips. “We don’t have that much money to do shopping, so we go to the market together to buy some supplies and foods. We’re just a normal couple.” He ended. Wonho was amazed by it. He was smiling very wide while listening to Jinyoung’s stories. “You two are goals as !” Wonho mouthed out. Mainstream millennial phrases.

 Minah drank more wine after noticing that she’s being left out. “So where are you studying?” Minah asked Jinyoung, who’s putting much patience on gracefully eating the crab that he’s been targeting for minutes. Mark chose to speak this time. “She’s from a premier state college here in Seoul. My baby’s taking a degree in psychology.” Jinyoung almost choked on the word baby. It’s gross! Do I have to call him daddy? Hell no! Mark rubbed his back lightly, and his hand reached the part where its very itchy. Jinyoung groaned as Mark involuntarily scratched the area. “Yes! Right there!” both eyes closed and biting his lips, it looked like they’re doing something inappropriate. Mark was flustered, he saw the confused look an Minah and Wonho’s face. Later did he realized that he’s caressing the spot that Jinyoung’s been dying to scratch. He stepped on his friend’s foot again.  “She loves it when I rub her back.” Mark covered up.

“Psychology huh?!” Minah opened the topic. “So you can read minds. Can you guess what I’m thinking right now?” she challenged the other.

Jinyoung gave her a blank look. He’s not taking Psychology, for s sake! “Do you even know how to think?!” he replied, chewing on a large piece of broccoli.

“Pardon?!” Minah wasn’t able to hear it well due to the chewing sounds.

The other looked at her and talking with his mouth full. “I said you don’t have a brain, so it’s impossible for you think”

“I’m sorry, what was that!?”

“I said...” Jinyoung swallowed the veggie and gulped on his iced tea. “We don’t read minds. Psychology is study of human behavior in relation with their way of thinking and mental processes.” Jinyoung was thankful that he saw that line somewhere in the novel that he read in the city library last week. The table went silent again, not until Mark and Wonho talked about shoes and Drake. Jinyoung continued eating; he needs a break from all the intense exchange of thoughts. As far as he could see, Mark and Wonho are getting along. They talked like normal buddies. Jinyoung overheard their conversation about Marvel Comics and he wanted to include himself in the chat but he must remain composed. Plus, he must eat first.

But as the time pass by, Jinyoung found himself locked on Minah’s intimidating stares. The girl is looking at him closely. Every inch of Jinyoung’s face was inspected and it bothered him a lot because what if Minah discovers that he’s a guy? “You look really familiar...” she suddenly said, making Mark and Wonho freeze. “I swear, I’ve seen you before. You look like....” she looked up while remembering the familiar facade. Beneath the table, Jinyoung was punching Mark’s thigh. “You look like Mark’s friend. He’s name is Jinyoung.” Minah happily said as if she unlocked a mysterious case.

“She is Jinyoung’s twin.” Mark responded swiftly. Jinyoung was so surprised that he was too close to screaming. Minah felt the same, yet nodded and went back to eating. The twist of events are getting too weird now. Lies kept on overlapping and Jinyoung slowly gets these guilt streaks running within him. He can’t stand all that he’s hearing for the past minutes. The dinner went on, Minah and Jinyoung chose to focus on eating instead of talking. Sometimes, Jinyoung would join Mark and Wonho as they leave Minah in the depths of loneliness.

The clock strikes 9PM without them noticing. Its getting late and Jinyoung still needs to change his attire before going home. He took his phone out and texted Mark, although they’re just beside each other.

 

       To: Penguin Tuan

Dude, I need to go home before 11PM. Mom told me that Chaeyoung is not feeling well. Gotta take care of her.

 

Mark replied back instead of talking personally. Texting happened to be the safest way now since Jinyoung looks like he’s about to give up from being Jenny. He kept on scratching his back like a man and yawning with a big mouth.

 

To: Park Peachy

 K.

 

“We need to go now.” Mark declared, taking the attention of the couple who invited them. “Too early, Mark.” Minah complained while drinking a glass of wine. Wonho smiled at him and Jinyoung. “Jinyou—I mean Jenny needs to go home early.” That was close! He sighed. Jinyoung smiled back at Wonho before initiating a hand shake with him. “Thanks for the invite.” He spoke in a normal voice—not that girly yet not very manly.

Unfortunately, Minah caught that tiny fault. “I’ve been dying to ask you this but is that our normal voice? You sound strange!” she said. Now this is what Jinyoung got; endless complains. If y’all think that being drop dead gorgeous is enough, you’re totally wrong. He drank some fluids before talking again with his sweet tone. “It’s normal! No need to worry about it.” Jinyoung nervously replied. All these nervousness could kill him at any moment. It’s just too much to handle. Mark and his girl stood up, all set to leave but fate has other plans. “Mark, can we talk for a minute.” Minah requested.

Before Mark could reply, he looked at Jinyoung first, it was like he’s asking for permission. “Go ahead. I can wait.” The younger replied before holding Mark’s hand to give him some encouragement. He knew that talking one on one with Minah is not a piece of cake. Mark loved her so much and breaking up with her remains to be a nightmare. “I’ll be back.” Mark assured, then he left the place with Minah.

As Mark followed the girl outside of the building, he noticed that he took something out of his pocket. A cigarette and a lighter. He never thought that Minah smokes cause if he only found out about this earlier, he wouldn’t bother dating her. “Wanna try?” she asked, blowing a thick cloud near Mark. “What do you want?” He replied impatiently. He can’t stand to be with her for too long

“You must me blind. How can you stay with her for 10 months?! She’s so boring!” Minah looked so desperate and Mark doesn’t ever know her motives. “Are you done? If yes, I’m going back now. Jenny is waiting for me.” He answered, running away from the pointless topic.

Minah laughed. “Acting too clean, Mark! Why did you cheated on her again?!” she mocked before emitting a new batch of smoke. “Oh! Because you’re bored! See?! You indirectly admitted it. Well, you two blend well though—both boring.” Mark stayed silent. “Now, I hope you understand why I played with you. I just need a little pastime, some attention to be exact.”

“I suppose Wonho is boring too.” Mark got the right statements to make her shut now. “If you find him boring and you dared to flirt with other guys for attention and entertainment, does that mean you’re just staying with him for sake of the benefits?!” he smirked as he contentedly watched a busted lady seek for the most convenient answer. Mark has to end it there. He can no longer take it. He turned around and walked away.

He entered the hall again and asked Jinyoung if he’s ready to leave. He heard him and Wonho talking about soccer teams. They are having a great conversation and it was against Mark’s will to end their talks but they need to go. “Thank you, Wonho. It’s a pleasure to meet you.” Mark said with a subtle smile. Jinyoung stood up, intertwined his fingers with Mark and was about to go. Suddenly, Minah came in and looked at Jinyoung rudely. “So you like flat chested girls, huh?” She was laughing.

With much confidence, Mark grabbed Jinyoung’s and gave it a rough squeeze. “Sorry, but I prefer for the booty.” He defended.

“What the fu—” Jinyoung used his real voice since he was shocked by the action. He yelled too loud in a stern voice that some people around gazed at him. He blushed. Mark normally does this, but now that he’s wearing an ultra short dress and in a girly nature, it felt so odd.  He smiled cutely and tucked several hair strands behind his ear. Using a female voice now, he fixed his mess. “What are you doing, babe? We are in public! Let’s do that at home!” and he playfully slapped Mark’s arm, yet it was a strong one that Mark yelped in pain. “Bye Wonho! Bye Minah!” Jinyoung happily waved. He forcefully dragged Mark outside to end this agony right in time.

 

Both feet on the road now, Jinyoung hailed a cab and they rode towards Fei’s house. When they arrived, Mark’s loneliness became so evident. He slouched on the sofa and closed his eyes. Jinyoung run to the kitchen to get a glass of water, then gave it to his friend. “Hydrate yourself.” Filled with concern, Jinyoung sat beside him. Mark gulped into it and finished the drink afterwards. “Thank you, Nyoung.” He said breathlessly.

“No problem. You look exhausted so a glass of water will surely help.”

“No. Thank you for helping me tonight. Thank you for everything.” Mark cleared as he stared softly to his friend. The aftermath of the break-up is happening now. Mark feels so bad inside. They way Minah treated Wonho is just way too far from how the girl treated him before. How unfortunate it is that his first love broke his heart in the most painful way. Minah could just tell him that she’s not serious with Mark, but she revealed it in a hard way. Jinyoung sighed as his emotions turn into a mess. He hates seeing his friend like this—ed up and helpless.

“I’m always here to help, dude.” He gently removed his wig and wiped off the thin layer of power and tints on his face. He can’t let these cosmetics last long or he’ll get itchy red rashes. Mark’s not voicing out his heartaches; he’s always like that and Jinyoung worries about it every time. When feelings remained unsaid or unexpressed, it might turn out to a bigger problem. Emotions are natural phenomena that only the beholder could control. “I’ll go change my clothes first.” Jinyoung went up to where he left his clothes earlier and saw a sleeping Jackson with a tub of popcorn beside him. Jinyoung changed his garments excitedly. Its very satisfying to finally get rid of the itchy dress that almost killed him during the dinner. As he walked out of the room, he’s happy that Jenny already disappeared. He is back to Jinyoung now, no need to use girly voice, or act too classy and polished. Nonetheless, he’s happy that he helped his friend, and he made Minah feel like too. What a good combo!

Jinyoung went downstairs, about to bid farewell but he was welcomed by the awful sound of Mark’s cry. His friend was still sitting on the couch, face covered by his palms as he let all his defences down for a moment. Tears from his eyes roll down his hands while he struggles to breathe normal. Jinyoung haven’t seen him like this before. “Mark...” he went closer and sat beside him. “Everything is going to be fine.” And he pulled him in a tight embrace. He can’t do anything to make his tears subside, but telling Mark that he’ll always stay beside him through heaven and hell is better than nothing.

Mark hugged him back, tears still pouring. “Thank you.” He mumbled.

“Let everything out, Mark.” Jinyoung said. Mark nodded. “I want to stay with you tonight, but Chaeyoung—”

“It’s okay. I need some time alone too. I have to find my inner strength. “ Mark proclaimed after pulling away from the hug. He wiped his tears with the back of his hand. Jinyoung’s presence will help a lot but her sister’s condition should be prioritized first. “Go home now. Tell Chaeyoung to rest well.” He ordered Jinyoung, so the other obeyed and went towards the door. “Bye Mark. Don’t hesitate to call me if you need something, okay?” Mark made a light nod, and he watched Jinyoung leave.

 

Jinyoung reached home at exactly 11PM. The first level of their three storey house is a flower shop, owned by them of course. The shop is now close, they’re closing before 10PM. Jinyoung carefully moved around with the lights off, afraid to make any noise that could wake his parents upstairs. He climbed up the next floor and entered their house quietly. But he was shocked to see his parents on the living room and still watching the news. “I’m home.” He politely greeted. His mom looked at her and smiled. “Where have you been? What took you so late?” she asked.

“Mark needs some help with his subject requirement.” He said while moving closer to them. His dad remained silent, watching the tv show and ignoring his presence. Because of all the argument regarding the student exchange program, Jinyoung’s relationship with his dad grew apart. They don’t talk that much anymore, but deep inside, Jinyoung’s love for his father stayed the same. “Have you eaten?” his mother asked, worried. “Take a quick shower before sleeping, okay? You look really tired. Do you want me to turn on the water heater?”

Jinyoung sat beside his mother and gave her a hug. After all, beside his mom will always be the best place. “No need, mom. You better rest now.” Jinyoung said sweetly. He glanced at his father. “Same to you, dad. It’s getting late. Don’t forget to take your medicines, okay?” he reminded but he was rewarded by nothing, aside from a cold atmosphere. Jinyoung left the place with a heavy heart. He’s used to it by now, but it still hurts somehow. He went straight to Chaeyoung’s room. “Why are you sick, little princess?” he said as he sat beside his sister. She’s pale and obviously not feeling well.

“I guess its because of the uncanny weather lately.” She sneezed really loud and her elder brother laughed. “Take plenty of water then rest.” Jinyoung ruffled her hair and pinched her cheek. It’s really nice to have a younger sister. He normally bullies Chaeyoung but since she’s sick, Jinyoung must act nice.

 

 

Morning classes should be illegal. Jinyoung thought as he lied on the bleachers to sleep. It was a cold morning and his professor said that he can’t make it for their first and only class of the day. That means 4 hours of freedom for Jinyoung. Jackson chose to stay at home since he felt that the professor would not be around. Jinyoung hates it when he puts too much effort to attend his class but the teacher is not around. After all the tiring events that happened lately, he needs sufficient sleep. No one aside from him was there. He closed his eyes and hugged his bag.

“J-Jinyoung...” someone softly called and Jinyoung opened his eyes.

“Jaebum! What are you doing here?!” he asked, fixing his hair and his uniform. It’s embarrassing to let himself look like absolute poop in front of a high grade gem stone. He sat up immediately. “I was looking for my water bottle. I left it here last night, after the soccer training.” Jaebum replied, looking around the area. “I’ll help you look for it!” Jinyoung offered whole heartedly so he stood up and searched on the spaces beside him. “It’s okay. Just rest. I know you need it.”Jaebum replied politely.

As said, Jinyoung sat back down and Jaebum settled beside him. “Jinyoung...” he started. Jinyoung looked at him and beamed. “About the application, I’m sorry.” The other apologized as if he committed the biggest crime of all time. He was looking down with his voice so sad and sincere. “I tried to convince Yerin that you’re more deserving for the slot but she didn’t listen. Jinyoung, I don’t like Yerin! Believe me!” he added and it made Jinyoung laugh. They are not close, but being good friends with Jaebum sounds awesome too.

“Why are you apologizing?! It’s okay, Jaebum. Mark already helped me with the application since his uncle works in the registrar’s office. We both used connections.” Jinyoung observed how a smile spread on Jaebum’s face. His eyes are too captivating, there are moles underneath his brows which made him look more attractive. If the world needs a person who can illuminate that entire universe just by a smile, Jaebum is the one to call. Jinyoung didn’t notice that he’s been looking at Jaebum’s perfection for too long. “And about Yerin, I don’t like her anymore. Thanks for your effort to convince her.” Jaebum nodded as a shank of comfort wrapped all over his heart.

“I hope you don’t mind me asking, but are you in good terms with Mark now?” a query that’s pretty strange to hear. “Of course! He’s my best bud. Why’d you ask?” Jinyoung replied, checking his phone and reading a text from Jackson, ranting about his neighbor’s noise.  Jaebum scratched his neck. It seems like he’s crossing the line. “Uhmmm...I saw you two talking here yesterday. You look mad.”

Jinyoung’s senses perked high. “You heard anything?!” he furiously asked, scaring Jaebum in an instant. “N-No! I was standing too far from you two.” He replied while blinking and breathing heavily. For a moment, their eyes met and saw that they’re both gasping for air and nervous. Just as how every picture perfect scene starts, they giggled together after understanding that they looked the same. “Can I ask you one more thing?” Jaebum said. 

Jinyoung nods, all smiles. “Go on!”

“The girl on Mark’s picture, is that her girlfriend?”

After everything that happened, Jinyoung realized that he can now answer those questions without worrying at all. “Yeah” he said, recalling how Mark treated him like a girl during last night’s dinner. An experience of a lifetime indeed. “That is Jenny. Mark’s girlfriend”