Replay

Fall // Leave // Run

A/N: the sentences in italics are from Rain by BTS.

 

JIN

I don't know if I have a lot of thoughts or no thoughts at all...

 

Everything is frozen. My friends look like mannequins as the rain continues to fall on their heads, in their drinks, soaking their clothes. Even the fire has stopped flickering. It should be out by now, but it's just as bright as it was ten seconds ago. It's just still.

 

What excuse can I give? I try to make something up...

 

The only ones who are moving are me and Jungkook. How the does he just sit there, looking so calm? His hair is plastered against against his forehead, making his eyes look bigger when he smiles at me. I'm so creeped out.

 

It's unfinished anyway so I'll just make anything up...

 

"Why aren't we doing anything? Jungkook? What is going on? Jungkook!? Hey!" The rain is pouring so hard now, I almost can't see. Despite my hysterics and the weird situation we're caught in, Jungkook takes his sweet time walking over to me to hold my hand.

"Let's go inside, it's cold out." This . He sees my face and just laughs. My eyes dart between him and the others as I hesitantly laugh with him. I am very scared right now. Jungkook laughing like a maniac is definitely not helping. "Don't worry about them, they're fine. Let's just go."

"Um, no they're not. I am looking at them with my own two eyes, they don't look 'fine' to me. Jungkook, what are you trying to pull, here? Hey! Don't ignore me!" I am ignored and dragged to the door of the container house against my own will. Jungkook is five years younger than me. Damn.

 

Like a crazy guy, I start to hum. I wonder what time it is...

 

He pushes the door open and it's not as small as it looked from the outside. In fact, it looks exactly like my house; only the walls bear a resemblance to what it looks like on the outside. On the picture frames that hang on the walls, my family's pictures are replaced with cherry blossoms, stuffed to the brim with them. He peels off his jacket and chucks it on the floor. I do the same.

There is a flickering, pale light coming from the lounge at the end of the hallway. After you, he says. I am done asking for explanations, so I just mutter what-the- over and over to keep myself calm. We walk in silence to find all the boys there, asleep and dry. A small, box like television  on the floor is playing my videos, but it's haphazard running on fast forward. Like those old video tapes you put in VCR's, the quality's really crap and the image jumps every two seconds.

The last bit shows us around the fire and me holding out the polaroid. My mouth goes dry and I don't want to watch. But I can't force myself to avert my eyes. Jungkook blows out the flame and the rain falls again. I watch myself go nuts with the rain rolling down my face like tears. I watch as Jungkook and I enter and walk down the hallway, the camera panning behind us.

Lo and behold, the camera follows us into the room so I can see for a second time that the guys are in fact 'fine' as Jungkook said. I watch still, as another Jin sees the beginning of the campfire scene with Jin number three holding out the polaroid to Hoseok. "We, should we go there?" My voice is distorted like a phone call in bad reception, lagging and not moving in time with my lips.

The image cuts just as Hoseok was about to nod and the television is blanketed in static, the white noise and my heavy breathing the only sounds I can hear. I'm scared to look behind me, but my fear is forgotten as I sprint toward the bathroom.

 

JUNGKOOK

He's been doing this for a half hour now. Trying to vomit when there's nothing there to reject. And crying, too. There's so many things I want to say, but I wait and concentrate on the soft patter of the rain. I wish he wasn't here. He's worse than all the others I've had combined. He reminds me of too much. I stand up to gather some dry clothes from Jin's room. Or where his room would've been. After I change I walk back.

"There's something wrong with you... Or me. Which one is it?"

"Just put these on and I'll tell you."

 

JIN

So, I'm dead. According to Jungkook, anyways. At first, I thought this was all some sick joke. But then he started saying stuff that made sense. Stuff that connected to what I kept to myself - my memories, the offness, everything. "I'm still lost." He sighs. Fair enough, we've been at it for ages once I calmed down. "Just start again - the need to know stuff."

"You are caught in your own limbo, this is because for some reason you can't let go of something in the living world. We're here because we either have something to do with that or we can't let go of you, too or both."

"Okaaay?"

"It is not actually us, but us in your memory. Same goes for everything here. Limbo bends itself to reflect what you truly desire, but it also warps itself to get you to realize things so you can hurry up and get lost - like with the rain and the spooky TV . Gods don't like it when Limbo collects too many."

"I thought there was only one God."

"For you, yeah. But don't be stupid, all gods exist. It just depends on how many worshippers they have. That's why they try to lure in people with the whole 'I am the one and true God' thing - for power." He holds one hand over his heart and the other out faced to me with his nose in the air. "Religious wars and prejudice aren't for nothing, dummy." He waves a hand at me "But that's besides the point.  See, because you're dead and we - he crooks his fingers into quotation marks at saying 'we' -  your friends are living, a balance is created for you to be able to set foot in Limbo instead of just passing through and going into the light."

"How do you fit into this then, if your just 'Jungkook from my memory?' Why do you know so much, huh? If you're just from my memory how come you know more than me?" I'm getting angry again and for little reason, but I can't help it.

"Because I'm your spirit animal!" He lifts his hands to make ears at the top of his head, pouting cutely. I just glare. We stare at each other until his eyes become hard and defiant. Jungkook never does that to me. Coughing, he looks out the window. "I mean, I'm like your spirit guide. Lighten up, will you?" My anger flares up again.

"Kinda hard when I'm dead and stuck in the middle of nowhere, you know? Just saying. God, I feel like I'm losing my mind."

"No god will hear you, not if you're like this." The nerve of this guy. I could slap him, really.

"Oh my god! You. You are a real piece of - "

"No you. You think I want to be here? Babysitting you? Watching you cry over your boyfriends, huh? Do you? I have no choice in this bull and everytime another one of you lands up in here I'm forced out to jump into some strangers skin to help them find peace when I've got none. Don't get on me about how bad you have it because I'm telling you it could be much, much worse."

I bow my head in defeat. It's not his fault, he's just trying to help. We're quiet for too long and I can't stand the tension. I apologize and ask him to go on. After a while, he turns back from the window.

"All those who fall into Limbo are given a guide to assist them in finding their way out. We're not named anything, we don't matter. We take on the being of the most aware tie you have to the living, which explains why I'm him but at the same time not. I have a sense of him, you know. He overthinks, feels lonely and is a little lost." My throat gets tight so I try to keep the ball rolling.

"And if I can't leave?" His eyes are shining as he makes himself smaller, looking at me from under Jungkook's fringe, hugging his knees a little tighter. If the rain hadn't ceased completely, I wouldn't have heard him.

"You end up like me."

 

END OF PROLOGUE