If I Ruled The World

Fall // Leave // Run

Some time back, when Jin never had to think twice about remembering things...

 

"Hey, hyung! Hyung! Oi, hyung! HYUNG-AH! Hey, listen to me, please." Seven boys are lying on the grass, lazily throwing sticks at each other and staring at clouds. A wide eyed boy sits up, the one who had been hollering earlier and proceeds to poke another in the shoulder again and again. Said boy continues to stare at the sky above him like the incessant jabbing is not annoying him at all.

"Yoongi-hyung, please don't ignore me. This is important." A scoff is his only reply. The boy tries again; this time putting his head over Yoongi's, blocking his view of white and blue, eyes big, cheeks puffed out and lips pouting. He knows it irks the hell out of Yoongi when he acts cute. 

"Jungkook! Get out of my face. You're almost eight, damnit."

"And?"

"ing act like it!" Jungkook wrinkles his nose at that, remarking that Yoongi curses too much. "The are you gonna do about it?" he grumbles. Before Jungkook can complain again, Yoongi cuts him off, asking about the 'important thing.' A shy look crosses his face before he starts.

"Well, in class today we got told to write an essay about what we would do if we ruled the world. So, I was wondering... what would you do?" He slowly finshes, the last words coming out quieter than the rest as he pulls at a tuft of grass.

"This is stu-"

"I think we ALL should think about what we would do," Jin interrupts, sitting up. He shoots a look at the fair skinned boy, "starting with you." Yoongi mutters a gruff I shouldn't have to deal with this before proping himself up on his elbows. Jin smiles approvingly. 


When Yoongi's mom got married to Jungkook's dad, Yoongi had become more annoyed and angry at Jungkook than usual. Despite this, it made Jungkook even more determined to be closer to his new brother. At least now he doesn't blatantly ignore the younger for weeks on end. 

As time went on, Jin would notice the way Yoongi gradually took to walking behind Jungkook when they went places or when he would narrow his eyes at any who made comments about Jungkook trying hard to be the schools' 'golden boy.' Or even the very slight, almost non-existent smirk that would play on his lips when Jungkook would push Jimin aside in favour of him. He knew though, that if he ever pointed those things out Yoongi would swear black and blue that Jin was just, as he would put it, 'ting himself.' So he let it alone.


"If I ruled the world... I wouldn't need to do anything. So that's what I'd do." Everyone is quiet for a while as they let that sink in.

"So, you'd do nothing?" Hoseok blurts out. "But you do nothing now! All you do is eat and poop and sleep and be mean. Ah, this guy. You're no fun," he rants while wagging a finger. They snicker a little, while Jimin and Taehyung howl with laughter just to piss Yoongi off a little more.

"This is what I meant when I said this was stupid."

"Would you really do nothing, though? With all that power at your disposal?" Namjoon asks. 

"Ye- fine. I would buy a big house - no a mansion - and a black four-wheel drive. I'd make a law, too, where you all do not speak to me unless spoken to. And you'd leave me alone when I'm sleeping." He finishes off by pointedly looking at Jungkook.

"If I ruled the world, I'd make it so me and Jungkook have the same birthday." Jimin was met with weird stares. "What? Everyone loves him and then when they find out we're good-looking twins they'll love me just as much, too. And I wanna be taller than all of you so you'll leave my height alone." At this, Jungkook a does little dance, swaying his arms from side to side.

"Jimin is so freaking small, Jimin is so small, Jimin's height is so smoooooooolllllll," he sing-songs. 'Smoll' sets his jaw and kicks the air in front of Jungkook's face.

"Tch. You're lucky I think you're cute and cool." Going round in a circle, they each take turns in saying what they would do if they ruled the world. 

Jin would travel all over the world so he could taste different cuisines.

Hoseok wished for world happiness and to be the boss of the dance studio at school.

Namjoon wants to be rich enough to go to university without any burdens and to have as many girlfriends as he pleases - for that last one he got hit a lot.

There is a long pause as they wait for Taehyung to pitch his bit in. Scratching the back of his neck, he winces. "I don't know?" They all groan. "It's just, I don't know, okay? I'm kinda fine with where I'm at, right now."
"There is nothing you want to change? Nothing more you want?" Namjoon asks skeptically. Taehyung smiles now that he's sure of his answer.


"Well, yeah. I get good grades at school and I have fun with you guys. My mom makes nice food and my dad takes us out to the beach every now and then and..." He continues to mull it over, until he puts a finger up in the air, eyes wide. "I can eat heaps but I don't get fat!" While the rest of them laugh as Taehyung continues to explain, the skepitcal look on Namjoon's face slowly morphs into envy. Taehyung interprets it as disbelief. "I do wish I could be a little more like you, though. Aside from all that, I really don't know. I don't have any big dreams or goals to amount to like you all do." When Taehyung looks back wistfully at Namjoon, Namjoon silently scolds himself for being so petty.

"I reckon Tae's got it right! Let's stick together and stay close. It's fun hanging out." It takes a lot for Yoongi to not slap his little brother up the head. So lame.

"Boo, you hoe shut up."

"YOONGI-AH!?! I HAVEN'T EVEN HAD MY FIRST KISS! DON'T CALL ME A HOE!" Yoongi casually flicks him on the forehead.

"Quit whining like one then." In his indignity, Jungkook forgets respect and slaps Yoongi multiple times, while the elder just chuckles and weakly holds his hands up. "And who says that? Hoes these days, I swear - ow! You better off right now. I mean it."

"So, are we going for a swim like we planned or not?" Hoseok drawls, because things are starting to get boring for him. He glances at Jimin. They hold the gaze for a bit, until they drift to observe the brothers. Jungkook is strong for his age so they already know. 

Hoseok jumps up to hook his arms underneath Yoongi's armpits while Jimin makes a grab for his ankles and they run with him, cackling like madmen, toward the pool. Yoongi doesn't struggle in the slightest, hissing out a long list of profanities and insults instead. A splash is heard and the rest are running up, striping down to their shorts to jump in.

"You s, these are my favourite jeans." No one pays him any mind, too busy having piggy-back fights. Jin laughs.

"Aww, come on Yoongi bear."

"What the fu- No. Shut up. I blame you. For everything. No." Yoongi waddles out to sit beside him. He may look pissed off, but his voice holds no heat. In fact, he sounds like he's trying hard to not laugh. He sees that Jin is watching him intently and resumes his cold mask. 

"It was good of you to go along with it."

"I have no idea what you are talking about."

"Haha, yeah okay. My bad, then."

"That's what I thought."