nine

remember (when we were young)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

a/n: just a heads up that i'll be travelling from tomorrow, so updates may not be as frequent, but they'll be ready for whenever I have internet <3 six more chapters to go! :D also!!! omg thank you for 250+ subs and 4k+ views T______T im so overwhelmed by the love and support thank you thank you thank youuuuuu

 

When Jihoon wakes again, it’s to Seungcheol humming softly as he plays with Jihoon’s hair. Jihoon blinks twice and then Seungcheol is smiling warmly at him as he murmurs as soft “Good morning,”

It takes him a moment, but eventually Jihoon’s lips quirk into a smile too, as he whispers a barely audible “Good morning,” in return.

They lie in bed until midday, talking quietly. Seungcheol’s arms don’t move from around Jihoon’s waist. Every now and again, Jihoon just smiles to himself and tries to memorise the warmth of Seungcheol’s arms around him.

Eventually, Seungcheol’s stomach growls, interrupting their soft, whispered conversation.

Jihoon laughs gently, and Seungcheol can feel his whole body shake in his arms.

“We should get up and eat something,” Jihoon says, trying to extract himself from Seungcheol’s embrace, but Seungcheol doesn’t let go. The older makes a face, lips jutting out in a pout, and Jihoon pinches his cheek, cooing, before laughing again.

“Come on, you big puppy,” he says, and this time he manages to get free as he sits up.

They make some fried noodles, sharing it over their little kitchen table as Jihoon recounts a story the lady at the fruit shop told him about her son’s friend. Seungcheol listens intently, chewing noodles and playing with Jihoon’s feet under the table.

When they’re done, they clean up and do some more laundry. Jihoon irons all their shirts that have been piling up over the weeks while Seungcheol vacuums.

Jihoon has never seen the apartment so organised since they first moved in, and that realisation brings about giddy happiness, as well as sadness. Because Jihoon is reminded how well they work together, but also remembers it’s only like this because it’s their last days together, before they divorce and go their own ways, for good.

It’s late afternoon when Seungcheol sits up from where he’s flopped on the couch.

“We have to start getting ready soon,” he says. It takes Jihoon a moment to remember that the work function that Seungcheol has to attend is tonight.

“Oh,” he says, “I hope my suit isn’t too creased.”

Seungcheol grins, as Jihoon disappears to go find his suit. He showers first while Jihoon irons out his suit. He hasn’t had to wear one for years - being a music producer doesn’t require him to wear a suit often. Seungcheol, on the other hand, wears one every day.

“Do you still have your bowtie?” Seungcheol asks as Jihoon comes out of the bathroom, towelling his hair dry.

Jihoon looks scared. “We need to be in a tux?” he asks.

“Not really. It says formal, but it doesn’t matter that much. I just thought you look better with a bow tie,” Seungcheol answers. “If not, I can lend you mine.”

Jihoon makes a face. “If I’m wearing a bowtie, you are too,” he huffs. “I don’t want to be the odd one out or anything,”

Seungcheol laughs a little. “Okay, well, go find your bowtie then.”

Jihoon finds it eventually, under a pile of scarves and gloves. But Seungcheol is the one who has to tie it for him, because Jihoon can’t remember the last time he wore a bowtie. Part of him thinks it might have been the wedding.

Seungcheol’s face is close as he deftly does Jihoon’s bowtie, and the younger determinedly looks away. He pushes away the butterflies that flutter around his stomach.

He’s not leaning in to kiss you, idiot, he scolds himself, because that’s the kind of memories that surface. The nervousness of first kisses, of second kisses, of every kiss that Seungcheol ever gave him, because Jihoon never stopped feeling the butterflies before a kiss, nor the happy warmth after.

“You clean up pretty good,” Seungcheol teases when he gives Jihoon a once over, when they’re both ready. Jihoon flushes, but covers it by pinching Seungcheol’s arm. The older yelps at that and Jihoon grins, satisfied.

Seungcheol glances at the clock and si

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter