epilogue

remember (when we were young)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hello?”

“Cheol-hyung!” Soonyoung chirps brightly and he hears Seungcheol laugh.

“Hi, Soonyoung, what’s up?”

“Can I come over to visit? I never did get to see the apartment, and Seokmin said you had a really cool sound system,” Soonyoung says.

Seungcheol laughs again and they arrange to meet up that weekend. Soonyoung hangs up with a deep sigh, biting his lip, expression troubled.

 

Soonyoung fidgets outside the door. He said he wanted to visit the apartment and look at the sound system, but he really wanted to check up on Seungcheol. It would be a week since the divorce now, and Soonyoung figures he should check on his two closest friends.

Seungcheol is more likely to accept his worrying, so Soonyoung is visiting him first. He doesn’t know where Jihoon is staying now anyway.

He doesn’t know how he’s going to feel knowing Jihoon used to live in this apartment too.

Seungcheol opens the door with a bright smile.

“Hey, Soonyoung. Come on in,” Seungcheol waves him in and Soonyoung manages a small smile.

“How are you, hyung?” Soonyoung asks, trying to sound casual.

“Pretty good,” Seungcheol says and starts talking about work, but Soonyoung isn’t really listening. He’s noticing the way Seungcheol is smiling brightly again, how he really does seem good, seems happy. Maybe the divorce really was what Seungcheol needed? Soonyoung’s heart is happy that Seungcheol is doing well, but it hurts that it’s the absence of Jihoon that’s causing it.

But then Soonyoung steps into the living room and sees Jihoon lying across the couch, scrolling on his laptop. He looks up as Soonyoung walks in and gives him a smile.

Soonyoung drops the bottle of soft drink he bought.

Seungcheol rushes to grab it to make sure it doesn’t explode all over their wooden floor.

“J-Jihoon?!” Soonyoung splutters, gaping.

“Hi,” Jihoon says, getting up from the couch and padding over to him.

“But - you - he - I - ” Soonyoung looks between Jihoon in front of him and Seungcheol in the kitchen.

Jihoon smiles at him. “We’re not divorced, if that’s what you thought. We almost did, but we didn’t,”

Seungcheol walks into the living room with the soft drink and three cups, and Soonyoung grabs them both around the neck and pulls them into a crushing hug. Jihoon’s arms are flailing by his side and Seungcheol is trying to make sure he doesn’t accidentally pour soft drink on anyone, but the two of them are laughing at Soonyoung who is now sniffling between them.

When Soonyoung finally lets go of them, Seungcheol puts the drinks down and Jihoon hands Soonyoung tissues.

Soonyoung just ends up hugging him tightly again and Seungcheol has to pry him off before Jihoon suffocates.

The three of them squish on the couch and Soonyoung asks what happened. The two of them exchange looks before explaining the thirty days and then what happened the day after. Seungcheol has his arm around Jihoon’s shoulder the whole time and Soonyoung smiles at the familiarity.

When Jihoon’s laptop beeps to signal its low battery from the coffee table, Soonyoung catches a glimpse of the screen before Seungcheol takes it away

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter