The Heart We Broke

How Come You Don't Know?

He looked at her. A weak smile formed by her small lips, but her eyes were only filled with sadness. Jong Kook knew that Geun Young was hurt by his confession, yet she pretended to feel nothing. Out of guilt, Jong Kook pulled Geun Young into his arms. He let the young woman wrapped her hands around him not because he loves the affection, but what he's about to tell her next will hurt her even more. "Mianhae. I should have been honest. You need to know the truth before we go too far into this. There's a bigger reason why I can't be your husband, Geun Young. I.. I'm a married man."

 

Geun Young detached herself from him in confusion. She gave him a 'what-did-you-just-say?' look, waiting for Jong Kook to explain himself to her. He wasn't smiling, which scared her more as she listened to the secret he's been hiding. "There's someone who I can't let go.. and not think about when I was away from her. Right now I hate myself for hurting the one I love.. and the one who loves me no matter who I am. I know I've told you that my relationship with her is over.. but she has stolen my heart, Geun Young."

 

Jong Kook took a deep breath as he placed his hand on his chest, "So this heart will always be hers to keep.. no matter who I'm with right now, or in my future. That's the reason why I can't give mine to anyone else.. or take you to be my wife," he told everything as sincere as he could, hoping that the young actress will understand his situation. Jong Kook was very careful not to give any hint that he was referring to Ji Hyo, as he felt that he needs to protect his love from becoming a victim of rumours and scandals. Although Geun Young seems like a nice person, but Jong Kook knows how jealousy can turns a good person into evil.

 

"Oppa.. you don't need to go that far just to avoid our wedding! You can simply say that sorry Geun Young, I don't want to marry you because you're not my type or I don't like to be forced into marriage or anything like that. But to lie to me by saying that you're a married man? That's too much!" she scowled at him, thinking that none of his words is the truth. In her opinion, it's impossible for Jong Kook who's a famous celebrity to get married and NOT being detected by the media or his fans. Furthermore, why would his parents arranged for their wedding if he's not a free man?

 

Jong Kook heaved a sigh knowing that Geun Young has misunderstood his words. But he couldn't blame her. She or their families didn't know about his marriage to Ji Hyo. No one else can testify his statement except his own wife. However, now there's no point to prove anything since their marriage will be over soon. "I won't force you to believe me, Geun Young. But I really can't proceed with the wedding. Not when I.. I'm still someone's husband," he took his hands off her, and in return she gave him a slap on his face. Geun Young was very furious with the Commander, "I hate you Kim Jong Kook! Geurae.. you don't have to show up at the dinner.. and I will tell my parents who you really are! You can go and live with your 'fantasy wife' while I find myself a great man who respect me as a woman."

 

Once she blurted out her disappointment, Geun Young stormed away and left Jong Kook to tail her with his eyes. He closed the door and return to his couch, then stared at the ceiling as he questioned himself if he just did the right thing. Jong Kook knew that his parents will be extremely upset once they know that Geun Young has agreed to call-off their wedding, but there's a bigger fear that he's worried of. What if they found out about Ji Hyo and decided to blame her? What will they do to the woman he loves?

 

"I have to warn her," Jong Kook immediately got up from the couch, only to realize that he might be the last person she would want to meet. He sat back on the couch, hiding his face on the palm of his hands. Jong Kook was so confused with the options he has. At one end he wanted to run back to Ji Hyo and threw himself at her, but on the other he felt that he should stay away from his wife if he wants to protect her from being harmed by the people around him.

 

Staring at his wrist watch, Jong Kook realized that he has four hours left before the dinner. "Otteoke? What if they.. omo.. yeobo!" the moment he remembered that Ji Hyo was having a fever, he spontaneously grabbed a jacket and left his place at once. While driving out from the parking area, Jong Kook dialed Ji Hyo's number. But after a long beep, no one answer the call. He began to feel worried, "Where are you yeobo? Jaebal.. don't scare me like this!"

 

He speeded his car and arrived at Ji Hyo's place 10 minutes than the usual. Her car was there, so Jong Kook knew that his wife was at home. He knocked the door - called out her name and rang the door bell a couple of times, but Ji Hyo didn't show up to let him in. As he didn't have a choice, Jong Kook used his spare key to unlock the door and barged into her place without being invited. He searched for her everywhere in panic, only to find that his wife was sleeping soundless on her bed.

 

"Thank God, yeobo. I almost lost my mind because of you," he felt relieved to see her again, then took a seat on the bed right next to her body. As he caressed her hair, he noticed that her temperature was still high - indicating that she hasn't recovered from the fever. His eyes caught the pills that he left on her side table, which made him upset knowing that she didn't took the medicine. "Why are you so stubborn, Ji Hyo? You don't want to eat them because it was from me?" he scowled, yet he felt sorry for her.

 

As she was too deep in her sleep, Jong Kook did what he could to look after his sick wife. He changed the cold towel regularly, then done the dishes for her. Jong Kook also prepared a hot porridge for Ji Hyo to eat, then returned to her side and lied next to her on the same bed. He spoke softly while his eyes were locked on her, "Mianhae. I let you sleep alone throughout our marriage. I never 'touch' you as my wife.. and I assumed that you're fine with all that. I was too blind to see how much you've been suffering because of me, and even worse I broke your heart by asking for a divorce. Am I.. still deserve your forgiveness?"

 

When morning arrived, Ji Hyo slowly opened her eyes. She felt much better as compared to last night, but the one thing that caught her by surprise was to see a man on the same bed with her. Ji Hyo almost let out a scream, however she managed to hold her voice the moment she realized who he is. 'Am I dreaming? Or is he really sleeping next to me? Gosh.. I must be having a very bad fever,' she doubted her vision and closed her eyes back. A smile appeared on her face unwittingly. Deep in her heart, she wished to never wake up from this 'beautiful dream' - forever.