The Game We Played

How Come You Don't Know?

His steps were getting heavier as he got closer to the shooting location. In just few minutes, their eyes will meet. She will shoot dagger through her sharp stare, and he won't be able to pretend that nothing is wrong between them. That's how difficult for Jong Kook to deal with Song Ji Hyo - an actress his secret wife who happened to be his working colleague as well. From afar, he saw her talking to Jae Suk and Haha, making him hesitated to approach those two casually. Jong Kook walked towards Gary and Suk Jin who were standing across those three people that he wished to avoid, but his presence was easily detected by the national emcee.

 

"Yaa Kim Jong Kook! Have you seen Kwang Soo?" Jae Suk's question had forced him to change his direction, and he cursed the national emcee (in his heart) for calling him over. Faking a smile on his face, Jong Kook put up an act in front of everyone, "He's not here yet? That's weird." "You know what's weirder oppa? You didn't say hi to us when you arrived," Ji Hyo smirked as she crossed her arms against her chest, giving the Commander a mocking glare which made him felt uncomfortable to stand around her. "Oh.. uh.. annyeong. Mianhae, Ji Hyo. I was just.. distracted," Jong Kook stammered as he tried to find a better excuse, of which his brain wasn't quick enough to create one.

 

Not knowing the real situation between the secret couple, Jae Suk took the chance to josh the muscular man, "Don't tell me you got distracted by Ji Hyo's morning beauty?". The actress spontaneously nudged the national emcee by his arm, signalling him to stop making fun of her in front of Jong Kook. She wasn't happy to see her husband's reaction to Jae Suk's comment, "How can you say that Jae Suk oppa! Guy like him has no interest in woman like me!". "So what kind of a woman are you into?" Jae Suk excitedly waiting for Jong Kook to reply, but Ji Hyo immediately chipped in with an answer. "He's only into young girl like.. what was her name again? Oh yes! Moon Geun Young. Am I right oppa?"

 

"Yaa! Stop making assumption, will you?!" he accidentally raised his voice at her, making the rest of the Running Man members switched their focus on him. Sensing the intensity between the two sides, Jae Suk questioned the Commander's reaction, "Why must you yelled at Ji Hyo? She was just joking!". "Yeah, Kim Jong Kook. Why do you need to be so sensitive over.. my 'stupid' joke?" Ji Hyo smirked at her secret husband who kept staring at her intensely. She felt so satisfied getting her revenge there and then, that she almost forgot the reason they came for.

 

Finally when Kwang Soo arrived 10 minutes later, the shooting for that episode began with Jae Suk giving his opening remark. When the PD informed that they will have a guest on that day, everyone was so excited to find out who that person is. "Omo.. it's the pretty Moon Geun Young! Today must be your lucky day, Kim Jong Kook!" Jae Suk smiled sheepishly at the Commander as he recalled Ji Hyo's statement earlier. That made the rest of male members naturally teasing her husband with the young actress, to which broken Ji Hyo's heart into pieces. 'Why must she be here?!' a voice inside her head was screaming, but she covered it well with a smile plastered on her face.

 

But nothing prepared Ji Hyo for what's coming next. The PD introduced three couple games throughout the episode, and when asked to select her own partner, Geun Young went straight to give Jong Kook a back hug. Seeing how happy her husband was for getting chosen by his 'future wife' (since his face was blushing when Geun Young wrapped her arms around his waist), Ji Hyo decided to play the same game. She knew Jong Kook wasn't a big fan of Monday Couple, so she went to Gary and 'declared' him as her partner for that day. Thinking that Ji Hyo was showing her affection as Monday Girlfriend, the rapper made a cheeky statement, "I know you can't live without me.. can you?"

 

'She knows I don't like how she acting lovey-dovey with Gary. Why she's still doing it?!' he could only scolded his wife silently, but then a naughty thought came to his mind. Jong Kook pretended to have a major crush on Geun Young, which caught everyone's attention (especially Ji Hyo) to his sweetness and care towards his partner. Though she tried very hard to hide her jealousy, but her husband noticed her real emotion from the way she looked at him and Geun Young throughout the day.

 

Then it's time to start the second activity. It was fun and entertaining to watch the other pairs battling in the arena, but the dodge ball game suddenly became a fierce competition when it's the 'Gary-Ji Hyo versus Jong Kook-Geun Young' turn to play. It was obvious that Jong Kook was aiming at Gary when he threw the ball at high speed, while Ji Hyo was so determined to eliminate Geun Young and made her scream like a little girl when the ball came straight at her face 'courtesy' of the Ace. "Yaa! Have mercy on our guest, will you?!" Jong Kook roared at his opponent (specifically his wife) for the harsh attack on Geun Young, but it only triggered Ji Hyo's wrath. "Just quit this game if you can't take the ball!" she challenged the Commander, ignoring the people who were looking at them in confusion.

 

"Gwaenchana oppa. Let's just finish this game," Geun Young grabbed Jong Kook's arm and asked him to retreat from Ji Hyo, however she was caught by surprise when the Commander suddenly cupped her face in his palm, "Are you hurt somewhere? That ball didn't hit you.. right?". The young actress nodded, and she was touched by Jong Kook's attention towards her safety. The way that man 'protected' her in the game had convinced her heart to go with her parents suggestion of marrying him, and Geun Young gradually opened her heart to the Commander of Running Man.

 

Suddenly Jong Kook hissed in pain when he felt something hard hit him at the back of his head, and now all eyes were staring at Ji Hyo who just threw the ball at the Commander. "Yaa Kim Jong Kook! Are you still playing or are you taking your partner on a date?!" Ji Hyo yelled at him, and he knew it's because of her jealousy towards Geun Young. Thank God Gary was smart enough to play his role as her Monday Boyfriend, so Ji Hyo was able to smile again with the rapper's cheesy lines that made Jong Kook shot her with sharp glare. The game ended with Gary-Ji Hyo winning by 2 points, and the PD called for a break to change the tape for the next activity.

 

When no one was in the changing room except Ji Hyo, Jong Kook decided to face his wife personally. He approached her from behind, grabbed her by the shoulders and turned her body towards him as he pinned Ji Hyo against the wall. "Yaa! What do you want?!" she screamed at his face furiously, so he immediately covered with his hand in panic. "Keep your voice low. I don't want others to hear our conversation," Jong Kook warned his wife as his eyes scanning for presence of other people in that room. The moment he felt safe to proceed, Jong Kook threw the first question that haunted his mind, "Why must you chose Gary as your partner? I thought I made it clear that I don't like to see you with him!".

 

"Then what about you and Geun Young? Should I just close my eyes and let you kiss your future wife?"

"Yaa.. when did I kiss her?"

"Maybe you haven't. But you're thinking of it when you put your hands on her face.. aren't you?"

"No I wasn't! I just want to make sure that she's okay."

"Don't lie to me, oppa. I know you wanted to kiss her when you.."

 

Before Ji Hyo could finish her words, Jong Kook's lips were already pressed against hers. Without they realized, the two of them were sharing a kiss for almost three seconds. They only noticed their action when their eyes met, and immediately retreated from each other as if they had done something wrong. Without a word, Jong Kook walked out from the changing room in a hurry - leaving Ji Hyo to figure out what just happened between them and the reason for that kiss.