The Trouble We Foreseen

How Come You Don't Know?

Ji Hyo arrived just 10 minutes before 3pm at the Kim's Tower after she had to make few stops whenever she felt dizzy or queasy. As she was in a rush, the actress only had instant ramyun for lunch - which is not enough to satisfy her hunger for proper food. Deep in her heart, Ji Hyo wished to stay at home and recharge her energy. Her body was still aching from the physical activity in Running Man, and she was literally weak due to lack of sleep and vomiting.

 

"Be strong, Ji Hyo. Don't screw up your only chance to save your marriage. Hwaiting!" the actress tried to motivate herself as she approached the main entrance. The 27-levels building was tightly secured at all access points, so Ji Hyo had to register herself as visitor and was taken to Mr. Kim's office at 25th floor by one of the officers. She had to wait for about 10 minutes before the secretary to Jong Kook's father allowed her to enter the room, as her father-in-law was having a small meeting with somebody. When it's her turn to meet him, Ji Hyo almost bumped into the 40-something guy who just walked out from Mr. Kim's office. Feeling guilty for her lack of focus, she immediately bowed and apologized to the man who was dressing in suit.

 

"So you're the new member? You came just in time. Mr. Kim has been waiting for you," the man smiled and stepped aside to let Ji Hyo entered the big room. As she didn't recognized the person who was talking to her, Ji Hyo just watched him walking towards the elevator till he disappeared from her view. Once he was gone, she calmly approached her father-in-law, then sat down across his table as instructed by the old man.

 

For the first few seconds, Mr. Kim just locked his eyes on her without uttering a word. His stare was very intense, as if he could swallow her alive. Next he ordered his secretary to bring a specific document to his table, which Ji Hyo assumed that it has something to do with her employment contract. After he got the file that he needed, the old man was ready to talk. "Your contract is in my hand, Song Ji Hyo ssi. Read it and put down your signature if you agree with the terms of employment. But before that.. let me ask you for one last time. Are you sure this is what you want?" Mr. Kim tried to intimidate the actress in order to change her mind.

 

"I know exactly what I want from this, Mr. Kim. So may I have a look at the contract, please?" she smiled confidently. Jong Kook's father finally handed over the document to Ji Hyo, observing how she reacted once she read the terms that was highlighted on paper. The actress scoffed once she vetted through the items, "This contract is obviously written for your own benefits, Mr. Kim. But don't worry. I'm not afraid to sign this if it makes you happy." She put down her signature there and then, closing the file before handed it back to Jong Kook's father.

 

The old man smirked as he received the signed document. He requested his secretary to send Ji Hyo to the Human Resource Director's office at 12th floor to report duty immediately, but not without mocking the actress before she left. "I hope you will survive in this 'hell'.. Song Ji Hyo ssi." She just smiled, "We'll see about that, Mr. Kim. Gomabseumnida." She bowed respectfully to her father-in-law, then followed the secretary to the next location as instructed. After the third knock, a man's voice invited them to enter the room.

 

"Omo! So you're the HR Director? Sorry for the incident earlier," Ji Hyo bowed to apologize as she was surprised to encounter with the same man from Mr. Kim's office.

He just laughed, "Have a seat, Miss.."

"Please call me Seong-Im. Ji Hyo is my stage name.. so I'd like to use my real name throughout my employment here," she chipped in before he finished his words.

He nodded, "Geurae.. Seong-Im ssi. I'm Tae Jun, in charge of recruitment for this organization. So.. have you read the contract? Do you have any question?"

"From what I understand.. Mr. Kim has placed me as an intern in the Account Department until further notice. Is that.. a normal procedure for newcomers?"

"Well.. your case is a bit 'different' Seong-Im ssi. I'm not sure why you start off as an intern in this company.. considering your age and educational background. Perhaps Mr. Kim has a special plan for you, which I think will benefit both you and this organization in the near future."

Though she doubt that, Ji Hyo just pretended to agree, "Maybe. But will it be possible for me to be excused in case I need to attend a shoot or an interview?"

"As I've said.. your case is unique, Seong-Im ssi. Frankly we wouldn't allow our personnel to skip work for another job, but since you're just an intern with us.. I think it's not an issue. Any other question?"

"About my presence here.. how many of the staff are aware of it? Do they know why I was hired?"

"I believe your teammates in Account Department are very excited to meet you, Seong-Im ssi. Whether they know the reason or not.. that is something that I couldn't confirm. We were given specific instruction from Mr. Kim himself that we need to expedite your contract, so my team just do as told."

Ji Hyo nodded, "Thank you for your answer, Tae Jun ssi. I think I'm good for now. So when can I start?"

"Hold on. Let me call your superior," Tae Jun gave a signal for Ji Hyo to wait while he asked his assistant to find the person for him.

 

Few minutes later, a middle-aged woman dressed in corporate attire came into the room and introduced herself as Mdm. Cho - the manager who is in charge of the Account Department where Ji Hyo will be working. The actress followed her 'boss' to her workspace at the 7th floor, which was slightly crowded as compared to Mr. Kim and Tae Jun's offices. When they arrived at the destination, Ji Hyo was literally 'surrounded' by her team who couldn't believe that they will be working in the same department with the Ace of Running Man. Instead of the normal 'ice-breaking' session, it became more like a 'fan meeting' for Ji Hyo who had to entertain request for photo and signature from her.

 

"Everyone.. get back to your place before our President came down and fired all of us!" Mdm. Cho scolded her team for getting super excited to welcome their new 'intern'. She then turned to Ji Hyo and gave a reminder, "Just ignore these 'monkeys' if they ask for something unrelated to your work. You're here as an intern.. not a celebrity. Arachi?". Ji Hyo nodded. She had to admit that despite her years of experience dealing with the public, she never felt so uncomfortable to have many eyes 'observing' her every move - literally. She couldn't help from wondering what was playing in their mind when they saw her working there as an intern, not an officer.

 

But as much as she was 'loved' by her colleagues, there were few who didn't welcome her presence due to her celebrity status. Ji Hyo was labelled as a 'distraction for men' and 'competitor for women' who are still single, as none of them knows about her marriage to Kim Jong Kook. Though Mdm. Cho was a nice person, Ji Hyo knew she couldn't be too dependent on her superior in case she faced a challenge with a teammate. It was only her first day at work, but she already foreseen a lot of 'troubles' coming her way. Was it true that this place is close to 'hell' as warned by Mr. Kim?