side chapter - krischen

typical high school love story

I went really overboard with this - once I started writing I just couldn't stop aha, I hope you enjoy ^ o ^

                                                                                                                                                          

The only reason Kris was here right now was because Chanyeol had dragged him to this stupid recital so he could spend the entire time staring googly eyed at Baekhyun. Kris plopped down in the front row seat next to a trying-too-hard-to-look-natural Chanyeol, whose excitement was obviously bubbling under his skin, especially when the lights went out and the spotlight came on. Kris was expecting Baekhyun or that other choir geek - the one who always looks like he’s planning your murder - to walk out, but instead he’s greeted with the most feline looking man he’s ever met - and he’s friends with Tao so that’s saying something. The unidentified boy’s mouth curled up into a smirk as he looked out into the crowd. His eye makeup emphasised his cat like features as they elongated the outer corners and added mystery to the boy’s stare. He was dressed up in a smart, black suit that fit him VERY well, Kris noted as the boy turned to the side, to cue the music, and Kris caught a glance of a very nice, firm looking tucked inside those trousers. The music started and Kris was definitely not expecting the boy in front of him to start a perfect rendition of his all-time favourite song - Kim Sungkyu’s “Kontrol”. The boy held every single note perfectly and Kris couldn’t stop his jaw from opening, Chanyeol catching this action and grinning at his friend who was too busy being mesmerised by the singing angel in front of him to notice his friend. As the last note faded away, the boy glanced around the crowd, eyes double taking over Kris, whose jaw looked like it might become unhinged any minute, and he gave Kris a quick eye smile before facing the middle again and bowing before turning around and exiting the stage, giving Kris the chance to take another glance at his heavenly . When Kris had regained the ability to think, he whipped around to Chanyeol and widened his eyes.

“Who the hell was that and why have I never seen him before?”

Chanyeol snorts and shoves Kris lightly in the arm, chuckling lightly.

“That was Kim Jongdae, or Chen as he goes by on stage. He’s the second best choir member – behind my Baekkie boo of course. He’s in like 3 of our classes, how have you never noticed him?”

Kris nearly gags at the nickname but quickly feels his cheeks redden slightly. 3 classes? Damn. He really should have recognised someone as ethereal as hi- as Jongdae. Jongdae. Kris whispers his name out loud, rolling his tongue around the syllables. It sounds nice in his mouth. It sounds right. Kris sits through the rest of the concert bored out of his mind unless Jongdae was on stage in which case he sat like someone had shoved a rod up his and listened to every single syllable Jongdae sang. At the end, Chanyeol wanted to leave quickly so Baekhyun wouldn’t see him. Kris didn’t have the heart to tell him that when Chanyeol had been wiping tears from his eyes after Baekhyun’s solo, Baekhyun had been staring holes into his head. Chanyeol grabs Kris’ arm to pull him to the exit.

“Wait, wait no, I need to find Jongdae. I definitely need to get his number.”

Kris pulls away from a smirking Chanyeol and heads towards the backstage door where everyone would hang out and congratulate the choir after. He spotted Baekhyun and walked over to congratulate him. When he reached there he noticed that Jongdae was pressed snugly into Baekhyun’s side, hand wrapped tightly around his waist. Kris didn’t know why but he felt a jolt of possessiveness roll over his chest when Baekhyun smoothed his fingers over Jongdae’s cheek. Christ, he didn’t even know the guy and he was already possessive. This is bad. When Kris reaches Baekhyun, he notices how Jongdae perks up and removes his hand from around Baekhyun’s waist. He really hopes he wasn’t accidentally staring daggers at the hand. Both boys grin up at Kris when he approaches.

“Kris, uh, where’s Chanyeol?”

Of course that would be Baekhyun’s first question. Everyone knew that Chanyeol and Baekhyun were basically in love but no one wanted to tell them that. Kris only knew Baekhyun from bio class where they were sat together, Chanyeol had begged Kris for 3 weeks straight to change seats with him but only backed down when Kris turned his “I’m gonna kill you” glare from the teacher to Chanyeol.

“He had to go grab some food shopping for his mum before heading back. He only just left, you could catch him if you speed walk?”

Jongdae raised an eyebrow in his direction but when Kris cocked his head to the side in question Jongdae only smiled and shook his head.

“Oh, uh, yeah I might try that, I’ll see you later Dae Dae!”

Baekhyun planted a kiss on Jongdae’s cheek before skipping away.

“Dae Dae? That’s a, um, that’s…”

Kris didn’t know what adjective fit that best.

“Yeah, it’s from when we were young,” Jongdae chuckles, “he still hasn’t given the nickname up.” He turned his head back from where he’d been watching Baekhyun skip away. “So, you’re the infamous Kris, all star quarterback, woo school pride and all that?” He smirks.

Kris smirks back. “Yeah that’s me. Hmm, and you. You’re Jongdae, oh sorry Chen, the infamous second best to Chanyeol’s ‘Baekkie boo’ – his words not mine.”

Jongdae laughs at that. Kris is once again mesmerised. Jongdae’s laugh was like tinkling bells mixed with sunshine rays and Kris knows he’s so beyond saving from this. Jongdae clears his throat and Kris realises he’s been staring at Jongdae with a soft smile on his face. His cheeks flush and he looks down, coughing awkwardly.

“I was, um, I was wondering if maybe you’d, like, wanna hang out sometime? We can swap numbers and go from there? Only if you want to though, I don’t wanna force you into anything.”

Kris rubs the back of his neck in embarrassment as his cheeks stay flushed. When he looks up Jongdae looks genuinely shocked.

“Wait you like me? I thought you maybe did, at the concert when you looked like your jaw might fall off, but then you were glaring at my hand on Baekhyun’s waist like it had personally offended you and I thought maybe, um, maybe..”

He trails off but Kris understands what he means.

“You thought I liked Baekhyun?! Chanyeol would literally skin me alive if I ever considered it. But no, I prefer my men a bit more… you.”

Kris inwardly cringes at the pick up line, but Jongdae laughs again and god, it’s so worth it.

“Before you say anything more cheesy, what’s your real name? Kris isn’t exactly very Korean.”

Kris grins and introduces himself in Cantonese. Jongdae just stares at him. He tries again in English. Jongdae continues staring. Kris chuckles before finally giving in.

“Well you see, I’m not Korean, I’m Chinese-Canadian, hence the Cantonese and English introduction. But I do have a lot of names; Kris Wu, Wu Yifan, Wu Fan, Kevin Wu, Li Jiaheng -” he coughs before quickly slipping in a “yourpotentialboyfriend” before coughing again, “take your pick.”

Jongdae smirks.

Chinese-Canadian eh? Well I do like my men exotic.”

They do swap numbers that night, Kris saved as “tall dork” and Jongdae saved as “feline angel”.

A year later and they’ve been dating since a week after the concert. But no one else knows that. Jongdae says he wants to keep it on the down low, just let it be their little secret, but Kris is finding it’s getting old really quick. He wants to show everyone Jongdae is HIS, and they can’t touch. He’s asked Jongdae about it before but the only time he’d actually answered he said he didn’t want to be an embarrassment to Kris, because “Kris is popular and everyone loves him”. Kris had pushed Jongdae up against his bedroom wall and silenced him from saying anything else with a rough press of his lips against Jongdae’s. But today that was going to change. Kris was gonna kiss Jongdae in front of everyone and claim him. They passed each other in the hallway, hands brushing but Kris waited until they were in the cafeteria at lunch time. After Jongdae had got his food and sat down, Kris marched over to Jongdae’s table and everyone looked surprised, except Baekhyun. Baekhyun already knew, he knew from the moment he saw them talk the night of the concert that they’d end up together. Kris roughly pulled Jongdae’s shoulders , making him stand up before turning him around and pulling him into a kiss. The kiss itself was tender, gentle, and Kris poured everything he wanted to say but couldn’t into the kiss. Jongdae was stiff at first but eventually melted into Kris’ chest, like he always did. After they broke apart, they noticed the entire cafeteria was silent… and staring at them. Perfect. Kris grinned at Jongdae when Jongdae finally grasped what happened and stares wide eyed up at Kris.

“Kim Jongdae, Chen, feline angel, I love you. I would never be embarrassed of you.”

He whispers that last part so only Jongdae can hear it. But he feels Jongdae lean back into his embrace and feels the grin spread across Jongdae’s lips as he pushes his face further into Kris’ chest, trying to hide his blushed cheeks.

That was a year ago, and now here they sit, fingers interlinked at the lunch table outside. Today was a “Kris/Jongdae lunch day” and it was both their favourite day of the week. Now as Kris looks over at Jongdae as he places another piece of kimbap into his mouth, Kris can’t imagine life without him, because Jongdae had become his life. Jongdae had stamped his way into Kris’ heart with his tiny feet and angelic voice and Kris never wanted him to leave…