One

The Makeup Artist's Tears

            I was on a music video recording set for today. Apparently, the company’s debuting another boy group. And the concept was a group of boys with superpowers protecting the tree of life. Honestly, this concept was too gimmicky for me. I was worn out after last night’s final meeting with fashion designers and other make-up artists. In the end, they told us to do heavy eye makeup for the boys and stray away from lip glosses.

            There were twelve of them in total. And there were only four make-up artists. So I guess it’s a one-is-to-three ratio. We arrived on the set and I laid out my make-up box and started preparing. A fair-skinned member with doe-like eyes came near me and greeted, “Hello, please take care of me.” I didn’t fail to notice his slight accent and pronunciation, however. I heard this group has Chinese members, so I assumed he’s Chinese. 

            “Okay, please sit down.” I instructed him and began to work. I applied base makeup and the usual. After finishing, I decided to drink coffee to wake up my system. I felt very sleepy due to lack of sleep. After all, the meeting last night did not finish until two o’clock in the morning. I can’t complain, though. These idols had it worse than me. 

            After coming back with the cup of coffee in my hands, there was already another member sitting on the chair. I walked to him and settled the coffee down. “Hello, please take care of me,” he said the same thing as the other one and flashed me a blinding smile. He had the typical face of an idol. And the only unique part of his face was his long sharp jawline.

            After finishing his make-up, my cup of coffee was already half-empty and cold. Another member walked to me as I sipped the cold bitter drink. The same as the other one, he had the typical face of an idol but I noticed some acne on the sides of his face. “Good morning. Thank you for taking care of us,” he politely greeted and bowed. I was surprised to hear him saying thank you. I haven’t even done anything to his face yet. I was grateful, though. 

            He was pale, very pale. And my attention was caught with his charming eyes and decided to apply heavier makeup than the other members. I did quite natural and subtle looks with the other two. However, I felt like doing a dark eye makeup on him would look great in contrast to his pale skin. 

            I pinned back his long fringe and started with base makeup. And I wasn’t wrong, there were really acne surrounding his face. But nothing major that a trustee concealer stick won’t fix. I applied moisturizing cream all over his face. I understand that they’re busy practicing for their debut and they have very little time of sleep. But they really shouldn’t neglect skin care. I wanted to lecture him but just kept my mouth shut. 

            After the base foundation, I started to focus on his eye area. I applied a black eyeshadow and blended that on his lids. And I went ahead with a pencil liner to really define his eyes. But when I looked at the completed look, I wasn’t satisfied. I knew something was missing and I exactly knew what it was. I just didn’t have the guts to suggest it to the idol. 

            There was a bare area in between his lash line and his eyeballs. In order to further define the eyes, I would have to fill that area, the waterline, with pencil liner. But I was afraid I’d poke his eyeball and smudge all the products on his eyes. It’s awful and felt like a pen was drilled onto your eyeball. 

            He may have noticed that I was taken a back when he said, “Is something wrong?” I shook my head and was about to remove the clip of his fringe. But he said, “I hope whatever it is, you’ll do it to me, next time.” And he smiled faintly at me. 

            Damn, this insisting brat. Then, let’s make you suffer. I grabbed the black pencil liner and lifted his eyelids. It was his wish, and I was more than happy to grant it. In the back of my head, though, I was silently wishing I wont poke his eyeball in the middle of it. However, I was quite surprised that the application went smooth. In fact, I didn’t poke his eyeball nor did he tear up from irritation. He also didn’t cry or smudge anything. 

            The color I applied on his lips just didn’t work for me. So I wiped it off with a cotton pad and applied a lip tint instead. And the overall look was done. I felt proud of myself. He looked handsome and I was sure he’d attract a lot of fans. I, myself, could testify to that because I felt like squealing seeing how handsome he was. 

            As I was touching-up his makeup, I decided to lecture him about skin care. “I understand you’re busy preparing for your debut and you get home at the dorm very late in the dawn but please do not neglect your skin care. Fans don’t like ugly idols.” I decided to go easy but my last sentence felt like choking me. It was horrible. It sounded so wrong to my ears. It sounded like I was telling him he was ugly and unfit for an idol. It was never my intention to underestimate him. 

            I swallowed the bulb in my throat. I was sure he’d backlash at me immediately. “I understand. Thank you for the advice. I’ll take care of myself,” came from him instead. My jaw could have dropped if I haven’t covered my mouth and turned around in surprise. This boy knew when to talk and when not to talk. Most idols have attitude problems nowadays. 

            In compensation of my uncalled-for rude remark, I decided to give him a gift. “I bought this facial wash earlier. It’s the same brand I always use. Just wash your face with it and you should be fine,” I said, handing him the bottle of facial wash I got from Etude House. He was about to thank me but I interrupted before he could say anything. “Pay me back when major brands are already sponsoring you,” I added with a faked-laugh. 

            I felt awful. What was I thinking, crushing someone’s confidence just like that. I’m not even beautiful to begin with. So who was I to judge an idol? I felt guilt creeping through the very back of my heart. 

            “Thank you,” he still mouthed with a smile so wide his eyes were forming crescents. 

            The director’s assistant suddenly came in inside the room and shouted, “Hurry up! You’ve got ten minutes left before shooting.” I told him to proceed to the hair stylist to get his hair done. I wanted to do his hair for him but I was officially signed as a makeup artist and not a hair stylist although I could qualify as one. 

            “Thank you very much. Let’s work together next time. I’m EXO’s main vocalist, Byun Baekhyun!” he giddily shouted across the room with two thumbs ups. We caught everyone’s attention. 

            Although it was late for introductions, I chuckled and introduced myself. “I’m Mami, your makeup artist. Good luck and I’m sure you’ll fish a lot of fans with your make-up.” It was more of self-praise than flattery toward him. I ran my hand playfully through his hair and watched as he walked away from me with a big grin on his face.