Chapter 5

Ten Days

Over the next few days, nothing happened. School resumed just as it used to. Everyone was complaining about school, even though it had just started. The girls and I were able to reconnect. We weren't able to see each other much over the summer, so I was happy to see them all again. 

Everyone sat upstairs in the Senior Lounge during lunch. We all laughed and complained about AP and Donald Trump, like normal seniors. It was weird to see everyone together. I mean we all secretly disliked Chanyeol's group of friends. But hey, they were the life of the party, despite sometimes rubbing off on people in the bad way, and you can't kick out the life of the party. 

Irene was as distant as she usually would. I didn't want to push her, so I talked to her little by little everyday. She laughed the other day. When all of us were together during lunch. She was genuinely laughing that day. She seemed a bit more upbeat. 

I was able to talk to Suelgi about Irene by the end of the week. I called her that Friday because I couldn't take it anymore. I didn't want it to be over text; that would give her time to think about it or even tell Irene. I needed answers now and I wanted them without any interruptions. I locked myself in my room and turned up the TV downstairs just in case my mom came home early.

"Well, I'm not really supposed to talk to you about it."

"What? What do you mean?" On the other end, there was a slight pause and a sigh.

"Hold on. Let me shut the door."

"Wait, what."

"My mom has guests downstairs."

"Sorry."

"Anyways, Irene didn't want me to tell you.. Or anyone in general. So I won't give you want specifics."

"Ok that's a given. I won't tell."

"So, Irene kind of got into it with her parents and she's been under her parents watch for the past few days." That would explain why did she lied about hanging out after school. "It happened when she came home from her vacation with her cousins. She didn't want anyone to know."

Irene... Fighting with her parents? What no. That can't be real.

"She was fighting with her parents? No that doesn't make any sense." I nervously chuckled because it didn't add up. Irene would never fight with her parents. 

"It doesn't make any sense but it's true, Wen."

I tried to hide my confusion with a bit of laughter. "No. No. Why would she fight with her parents? Her parents would never do that. What did she fight with them about? There's few things I can think of-"

"Wen, I can't tell you. Irene told me to keep it secret. Joy was as surprised as I was. She-"

"Wait, JOY KNOWS. How come I didn't know? Yeri knows too doesn't she? Suelgi, you better ing answer me because this is-"

"I'm sorry! I wasn't supposed to tell you about them either! Oh my god! Irene is going to kill me!"

"Suelgi if you don't tell me right now now I'm going to kill you! Tell me now! I swear, Suelgi. Or today is the last day your boyfriend will see you alive!"

"Ummmm sorry. My mom is calling me! Bye Wen! Sorry!!"

"Suelgi, no! Suelgi? Suegli?!? Goddammit!" 

I slammed my phone on the bed. I grabbed my hair and wanted to pull it all out. No even better, I wanted a golf club to smash everything in my sight. 

Why was no one giving me answers? Why did everyone know except me? I've known Irene the longest. I've been by her side when no one else was. AHHH Why wasn't she telling me?

I had the urge to throw my phone. Why don't I call Irene? 

Before I pressed to call, I stopped. Goddamit, I was still holding myself to leaving her alone. What was wrong with me?