xviii. questions

Fatal Remedy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Note 1: Lol i updated but it was still on my drafts. sry about the confusion, but i ended up doing some modifications anyway. 
Note 2: things to expect: long length, backstories, onehi (closure?) & alot of Winner! btw, ty for the comments last chap and recent ones that encouraged me to finish this update!! ♥

Chapter xviii.

Kang Seungyoon and Nam Taehyun dragged an unconscious Hanbin back to their private lounge. The crowd that parted for them was still bristling in exhilaration, fighting to see a glimpse of the winner, while the loser was left a mangled heap on the stage. After getting yanked away by Seungyoon, Hanbin fainted in exhaustion. Now he was getting rushed away to get treated, but Mino noticed that Jinwoo was nowhere to be found. He was on his third call when the older male finally answered.

“—I lost Lee Hayi!”

Mino gritted his teeth as soon as the surprise worn off. He didn’t have the luxury to deal with this right now. Demanding Jinwoo to tend Hanbin, he decided he’ll look for her himself. The crowds were as packed as ever, especially now that Hanbin and Olltii’s audience was flooding out of the arena. Fortunately it didn’t take too long to find her, her innocent face stood out like a sore thumb. 

That’s when he noticed it, the male who stood before her. A black cap and a black matching hoodie. It didn’t take long for him to recognise the kid. Jung Jaewon. With hands placed on her shoulders, the guy uttered something to Hayi. The more he stared, the more his brain put two and two and he was almost certain.

But then for a moment, Mino began to see something else.

Instead of Hayi’s black hair he saw blonde and instead of Jaewon’s clothed arms, he saw skin inked with numerous tattoos. And lastly instead of looking at Hayi, he was looking at Mino…and in his eyes were triumph. As if smirking at him.

Mino blinked and the image was gone, but in his chest was an ignited fire. Mino scrutinised them with a bated breath, waiting for one of them to confirm his suspicion. 

And there it was.

Jaewon said something to her again and Hayi whipped her head side to side. There was a pause, before eventually she allowed herself to be dragged away. Watching them dissolve into the crowd, a scoff fell from Song Mino's lips. In his head was one thought,

I ing knew it.

 

 

Jinwoo nursed Hanbin back to a stable condition and the men watched on with mild concern. This was nothing new and they’ve all experienced the same thing, but each time was just as fatally risky. 

“He’ll be okay...” Seunghoon sighed, sitting on a nearby chair. Jinwoo just finished checking up some bruises with the help of Seungyoon, while Taehyun observed silently from where he was.    

The sixth person in the room brooded as he rubbed his chin. His keen eyes studied their youngest recruit with the same interest as the first time he saw him. The boy was the perfect package. His youthful energy has been exploited into a weapon and his resolve meant that he was dedicated. Loyalty did not seem to be a problem as the boy accepted his hyungs wholeheartedly. No wonder Taehyun had no complaints in taking Kim Hanbin as his student.

It was just a pity.

As ideal as those qualities are in the underground world, they also were in the society above. The boy could’ve been something much greater.

“…Tablo-nim, did you see the match?” Seungyoon asked politely, noting the way the older man scrutinised Hanbin from where he sat. With the exception of Mino and Taehyun, this was the first time they met the older man. It was such a mess too. He was already seated when the group burst in with a bloody Hanbin.

“Just before it ended.”  He answered, “Looks like I missed an interesting match.”

“Well, it was against an old rival.” Seunghoon murmured.

Before the man was able to reply, the door swung open and the last member of their group finally made his appearance.

Song Mino.

Tablo’s head made the tiniest turn towards the door to acknowledge his entry. “And where have you been, Mino?”

The reprimanding tone was barely there, but everyone in the room could sense it. Mino didn’t seem to care however, as he strode into the room. He went straight for Hanbin, who was laying on the sofa in his comatose state. He tsked, before finally facing their boss. He gave a low bow.

“Tablo-nim.”

There was a faint downturn in the corner of the older man’s mouth, but he did not say anything. If Mino noticed, he did not show it as he continued to talk.

“I went to look for Lee Hayi.” A collection of murmurs broke out. They almost forgot about the girl!

“Did you find her?” Panic was written all over Jinwoo’s face. Judging from her missing presence, the answer could only be obvious. To everyone’s disbelief, Mino only smirked.

“Oh I found her alright.”

“Lee Hayi…? What is she doing here?” Tablo straightened up in his seat, causing everyone to grow anxious. 

“Hanbin allowed her to come with us…she kind of knows—about everything—well mostly everything…” Seungyoon struggled to explain, as it all dawned to them that their leader had no idea.  

“And you allowed this?” Tablo’s bewildered gaze shifted to Mino.

He only shrugged. “You told me to ease off on the boy and I did. I let him do what he wanted.”

“I can tolerate the boy maintaining his relationships, but it didn’t mean you had to drag the girl here as well. And literally.” He snapped.

“Look, it doesn’t matter.” The smugness in his tone that made them confused. “Because I caught them. Her and him. She’s with Jung Jaewon right now.”

The news produced a stunned silence to envelope the room. No one knew how to respond to that.

“You mean the guy that we saw at the party? The one with Simon Dominic…?” Jinwoo whispered uncertainly.

As Mino confirmed the question, everyone else became unsure how to react. Tablo only pursed his lips. While preparing for the season’s matches, they grew suspicious  of his mysterious character. Especially after learning of his seemingly significant relationship with leaders like Simon Dominic and Gray. However along the way, they also learned of Lee Hayi’s deeper involvement with the guy. It was Mino who voiced his suspicions first, but Tablo wasn’t quick to assume himself.

“It looks like they finally bumped into each other again. In here out of all places. ” Tablo coolly noted. Mino did not like the reaction, as he shifted his weight onto one leg and crossed his arms impatiently.

Annoyance entered his voice, “I don’t know about the word, ‘bumped,’ you make it sound like it’s a coincidence.”

“And you’re certain it isn’t?” Suddenly, everyone became aware of the slight tension in the air. The two men continued to stare at each other, their auras morphing into something less welcoming. Tablo tore the eye contact and briefly turned to the others. “I’d like to speak to Mino. Alone.”

Automatically, spines tensed up and each and every addressed member hesitated to move. Eventually one by one, they all shuffled out.  Meanwhile Hanbin insisted being knocked out cold, ignoring the commotion going on around him. Mino sneered faintly once the door closed.

“What more evidence do you want? I saw with my own two eyes, that girl leaving with a member of a rival gang.” He persisted sharply. “That must be how we found her with Hanbin that day…maybe she couldn’t leave him alone after they beat him and she felt guilty—“

“You told me how she stayed with Hanbin for so long after that,” Tablo cut in, “and now you’re telling me she was there to witness Jung Jaewon fight B.I that whole time?”

Mino’s temper seemed to worsen, his jaw tightening. “I don’t ing know. Girls can be like that can’t they? They say this and do the ing opposite the next day—how the should I know!” He spat as he kicked a nearby chair. 

Tablo remained unfazed, sneaking a glance at Hanbin who shifted in the sofa, before narrowing them at Mino.

“This…” His tone was low and grave that the younger male suddenly faltered. “This isn’t like you at all, Mino.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking….“ He tried to retort, but he wasn’t quick enough.

“I see your mind is still stuck in the past.” Came the pitying tone. Mino’s jaw tightened. It was enough for Tablo to press on. “Just because of what happened between you and that woman—“

“Don’t you ing—“

“Doesn’t mean it will happen to B.I as well. His relationship with Lee Hayi is different from yours." He rebuked with a glare. "Is this why you've been on the edge lately? I understand your concern for him and the team, but I'm starting to believe it's not just that. It seems you're simply blinded by your own assumptions—“

A series of frantic knocks rudely interrupted their heated exchange, causing the two men to jerk their head towards the door. Jinwoo’s blonde hair popped in, followed by another head. Chaeyoung blinked up to them. The two were taken back by the visitor, but Tablo merely gave a rigid nod and the two slipped out again. He turned back to see Mino glaring viciously at him, his chest rising and falling after teetering on the edge.

Mino sneered, “Whatever, appa. You’re just trying to look out for me right?”

 

 

As Jaewon led her on, uncertainty flooded Hayi. She shouldn’t be here, not with him. Isn’t that why she stopped volunteering? She told Hanbin that she would focus solely on him and yet…

“Jaewon, I don’t think…”

 “You agreed to talk, didn’t you?” There was something in his voice that made Hayi quiet. Though she was aware of his stubborn nature, it was the first time he acted like this.

Overcome by emotions, she agreed in the spur of the moment. Now she was torn between regretting and going through with it because Hayi also swore she would uncover his character. Why deny the opportunity when it came to her?

It’s…okay. Hanbin will be okay. Jinwoo oppa is there…he will be… Hayi squeezed her eyes shut. Just go through with it. Better now than never.

They reached a secluded room. It seemed like a closed off and private version of the lounge Jinwoo took her to earlier. When the door clicked closed, Hayi allowed herself a shaky exhale. She remembered their last encounter. They did not reconcile, yet they also did not part on bad terms. It was vague, but it was enough. She let it go, because Jaewon answered all her questions. There was no more reason to be suspicious.

But that text message destroyed everything.

“Isn’t this what you wanted?” He broke the silence. “I’m sure you would’ve had some questions that you’re dying to ask.” Hayi’s eyes fluttered up to him, but he wasn’t looking at her. He slowly paced around the room with his hands in his pockets. There was something off in his posture.

“Yes…but…” For some reason, the rest of the words died in .

His voice lowered, “Then where were you…?” The question was coated with something unpleasant that the first thing that flashed in her mind was his black eyes. Directed at Hanbin, they had been ablaze and now…her heart dropped when she noticed it wasn’t in her head anymore. Jaewon whipped around to face her with a deep frown chiselled into his features. He had never looked at her that way before. Before she could utter his name, he smirked, “I’m guessing they finally got to you huh?”

Hayi paled. “W…what? No…Jaewon-ssi—“

The intensity of his gaze did not waver, his voice became laced with accusation. “Then why’d you quit? You said you wouldn’t.”

So that’s what it was. Clenching her fists, Hayi became determined to answer without wavering. “Yes, I know that and I wasn’t going to, I swear. But…” She tore away from his gaze, guilt clogging up inside her. “I had no choice. I had to…”

“I get it.” Hayi winced at his curt response. Craning up, she sought him out. Was he really that upset with her?

Jaewon must’ve moved across the room without her noticing. He had been on the other side of the room, but now he was right in front of her. Her breath hitched.

“J-Jae…”

Hayi still remembers the sweet taste of Coke on her tongue. She remembers the bite of the chill that night, as well as illumination of the starry sky that reflected in his eyes. He hadn’t been looking at her then, but she still witnessed that flicker of sorrow and how it bothered her deeply.

To see it now blatantly in front of her…

Hayi came to find out, it hurt a lot more.

“I wish…I wish we could’ve kept the charade up much longer.” The words slipped out delicately and quietly that she almost missed it. “But our time’s up. I knew the moment one of us pulls out of the volunteering group, it would be over. I just wanted to be the one to do it…so it would’ve hurt less.”

It was then, Hayi knew what was coming…but she wasn’t ready. “They don’t know…the text message…I never showed them—” She turned a blind eye to the truth it held. She was aware of what it meant, but she just wanted… no, yearned for it be something else.

But for Jaewon to no longer pretend with her…that they aren’t on the same side. Hayi had only been delaying the inevitable.

“I figured or else, you wouldn’t have come here willingly. So why did you if you knew I’m the enemy?”

“B-B-Because…” Enemy. That word sent a kick to her guts. In a heartbeat, she recalled every moment she spent with him. “—because you’re not! The Jaewon I know can’t be the bad one…because then you’d have to be all evil and horrible—but you’re aren’t at all! There was not a single moment where I ever saw that in you. Sure you look scary when you get mad, but it doesn’t mean…”

He laughed. It was a laugh that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter