xi. tears

Fatal Remedy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

chapter xi. | tears

“Damn, not again. This thing must be busted.” With a swift kick, the claw machine jolted.

Hayi’s mouth fell open. “Hey, don’t kick it! What if you break it?”

“Wait—one more time! Can I borrow a coin? I think I used all of mine.”

Jaewon ignored her completely and patted himself down for money.

Unbelievable. To think she had considered this at all, that it would be alright to spend some time with him as friends outside their volunteer work. She doomed herself for agreeing. She really did.

What did she expect from Jung Jaewon, anyway? A civil conversation in a coffee shop? A cheap tteokbokki place where they could just eat and chat? She didn’t know what she was thinking.

She put a hand on her tummy. She actually craved tteokbokki at the moment but instead she was stuck inside at an arcade with an overgrown kid. For the past hour, he had dragged her everywhere, hopping on every machine that entered his line of vision.

It was fun at first, both of them going at it with the multiplayer games before he went wild with the other solo games too, leaving her out. Eventually, her interest declined and she was left fuming in the corner.

She was so bored that she even had time to plan another visit to the Kim residence and check up on her recovering best friend.

Hanbin had been getting better since her visit when he randomly broke into a fever on Wednesday night and had to stay home again for the remainder of the week. Hayi texted him earlier to take his tablets tonight knowing he’d probably forget to take again. That was probably why he got worse again.

And despite all that, Jaewon still hadn’t noticed her absence and continued with his shenanigans.

Well, this was her fault. The red flags were there the moment he broke his promise and withheld information about their outing today instead of disclosing it.

Another groan came from him, the game machine signalling his defeat with an almost mocking chime. Hayi’s temper bust.

“Damn it, Jaewon! You’ll never win a thing from that no matter how much you try! It’s just there to bait your money!”

“But I’ve already come this far!” He actually answered but probably only because she stomped over to grab his arm to stop him from spending more money. “Look, almost there, can’t you see?”

He gestured to a plush toy on the verge of falling out into the exit. It was so close but Hayi was smarter than that. The claw’s grip will never be strong enough for the small push it needed. He could be here all night but have better luck at a local casino.

She fixed him a glare. “We’re leaving!”

Without another word, she hauled him out of the arcade and into the streets. The evening air cooled Hayi’s hot head.

“Did you even see the toy I was about to win?” Jaewon went on.

She inhaled slowly before speaking. “Yes, it was a turtle.”

There was a snicker. “Then you realise I was trying to win it for you, right?” His voice turned sickly sweet and it wasn’t helping.

“Didn’t want it and never will.”

She began power-walking down the street, not caring if he followed. This turned out to be a real waste of time.

Jaewon eventually caught up with her, his shoulder coming into contact with hers in a friendly bump.

“Are you angry?” He asked. “Oh c’mon, Lee Hayi. It wasn’t even that bad.”

The girl refused to look at him, looking away into the many shops lighting up the district instead. She wasn’t that upset anymore, just relieved more than anything to get away from that place. Even walking around like this was more pleasant.

Streams of people bumped past them and chatter filled in the air. It was Friday and many restaurants were just starting to open their doors for a busy night ahead.

That was when Hayi realised she was hungry that not even tteokbokki was enough anymore.

“You hungry?” Jaewon asked as if reading her thoughts. Seemed the smell of food tantalised him as well. “Maybe we should eat somewhere, huh?”

“Finally!” She crossed her arms before casting him a look. “Now, we’re talking.”

“Okay, okay. I’m sorry I got carried away. I wasn’t planning on staying there forever, you know.”

“Oh, then where else did you plan to take me?”

His lips curved into a crafty smile. “Actually, I was going to bring you to my favourite barbeque place.”

Hayi dropped all her inhibitions within a heartbeat. “You were going to treat me to meat? No way.”

He gave a series of enthusiastic nods. “Yep, but you see, they don’t re-open for the night until six. That’s why we were at the arcade.”

Hayi broke into a smile herself. It was shameless, dignity be damned but man, she’d do anything for meat right now. was already watering at the thought.

She must’ve been obvious because Jaewon cracked over at her expression. “Wow. That’s all it took?”

Hayi ignored him and proceeded to pull him along. “Yeah, yeah, just lead the way.”

The night seemed to take a positive turn as they turned into a corner and found themselves walking down an alley of small eateries. Each step they made were giddy with excitement, bumbling like kids as they delved deeper towards their destination.

“Oh, I can’t wait. I haven’t had bulgogi in a long time,” Hayi sighed.

Jaewon agreed with this before he came to a halt, causing Hayi to bump into his back.

“Hey! What’s wrong?”

She heard him swear under his breath that she had to hesitantly peek from his shoulder. Did they run into a group of drunks or something?

“Oh, man, oh, man, oh, man…”

When she followed his line of vision, whatever excitement she felt turned into dust. She had to breathe in once more, slowly and carefully.

“Jaewon, please tell me that’s not—”

The boy slumped his shoulders. “Yep, it’s—”

“Closed?” Hayi breathed. She could feel her temper rise once more.

Jaewon began to back off and Hayi found it an appropriate reaction. She was about to wrap her hands around his neck after all. That was until a ringtone interrupted her plans.

Jaewon quickly straightened up and answered. Probably to try and get away from her as soon as possible that she had no choice but to let him. Next time. There was always next time.

“Hello? Hey. Uh-huh. Yeah. Oh, that again. Sheesh. So persistent, hyung.”

His words floated in and out of her ears. She was too busy thinking of ways to end this night. Nothing was going right.

“Oh, but you know what?” Jaewon suddenly said, eyes sliding over to hers. A smile hinted on his lips. “Expect me there. I’ll see you.”

The moment he lifted his phone away, Hayi opened to announce her departure and thank him for this wonderful time they had together. She just hoped he wouldn’t mind the sarcasm.

But before she could, Jaewon took her wrist.

“Change of plans,” he announced merrily. “We’re going to my friend’s house!”

“Wait, what? I can’t just go with you to your friend’s house!”

“But they’re having a barbeque!”

That stopped Hayi for a second and all she could think was the fantasies she was having earlier about the succulent meat. Jaewon must have read her mind again because he grinned, albeit very brightly.

“I think we have an answer,” he sang.

And as much as she hated it, he was right.

 

 

Hayi’s stature enabled her to hide behind Jaewon as they shimmied through the multiple crowds. If it weren’t for his hold on her wrist as he led them along the mansion-like house, she would’ve fled ages ago and called for a taxi. She said yes for a barbeque but didn’t expect this many people for something casual.

Surely, this was a party of some kind. A big one too.

“I thought you said it was just barbeque,” she hissed behind him.

“It is. I’m leading you to the backyard right now.”

She wanted to say more but there was no use. They were already here.  

Hayi’s problem was that she had never attended a party like this where she didn’t know anyone. Now, she could only trust him.

When they stepped out into the backyard, the undeniable smell of barbequed meat hit their noses. It was more than enticing to the hungry pair. At least the promised food was present this time.

“Oh, man. You smell that?”

They stopped beside a patio near a pool, just a distance away from where everyone was clustered around the smoke and heat of the barbeque gril

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter