xvi. suspicions

Fatal Remedy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Note 1: Calmer chapter after all that mess from the last one. Shorter sorry/sorter of a filler.
Note 2: Hanhi sailing + Hayi's inner conflict. 
Note 3: Several characters are becoming suspicous. 

chapter xvi. | suspicions

It’s been hours since the ordeal occurred and even now, the taste of blood lingered in his mouth. No matter how much he gargled, it remained to remind him of what transpired. It had been a while since the ghastly substance caked the roof of his mouth to the base of his tongue. It’s been a while since he met such an opponent. Tossing a damp towel away, his fingers inspected the surface of his wounded flesh, when a vivid pain burst on his bottom lip, he hissed a curse.

A chuckle came from behind him, followed by a soft click of the door closing.

“I know it’s been a while, but you should know by now not to touch your bruises.”

He dropped his hand away. The sofa chair in front of him whined as his hyung occupied it. Propping himself up with his elbows upon his knees, the older man faced him squarely.

“You cleaned up ages ago, why are you still sticking your fingers where it shouldn’t be?”

When the only response he received was a roll of eyes, he wittily continued,

“Seems like your hiatus has affected you after all. From the looks of it, the kid could certainly pack a punch.”

There was a tinge of humour in his voice, but he glared at the older guy anyway. The sight made his hyung’s smirk in response. A short moment passed, before his hyung’s face was suddenly drained of all humour. He straightened up. 

“The word’s gone around. Everyone knows and they’re anticipating. You know what this means,” He said gravelly. “There’s no turning back.”

Iron bands of anxiety seized his chest in a chokehold, causing him to grip the sofa arm for comfort. But he did not let it last. When he finally shifted his gaze back to his hyung, his eyes blanked. His fingers began to tap along the leathered surface of the sofa, the soft drumming filling the emptiness in the room. 

He hardened his face.

“I know.

The words hung in the air. And his hyung studied him closely, before reclining back onto his seat. He did not take his eyes off the younger man. A second later, something akin to a scoff and a laugh made his shoulder quake.

“Alright, I see. You’ve made up your mind. Clearly.”

He nodded slowly, as if to convince himself. 

“—But what will you do about her?”

His fingers ceased its tapping.

“…What about her?”

“You know what about her,” His hyung said carefully, raising a brow at him. “How does she play into this?”

Truthfully, he tried not to think about that too much because every time he did, it only brought more headaches.  When he did not answer, his hyung’s stare became probing.

“God damn…just what exactly the hell happened during your volunteering? You said you wanted to do it because you wanted to try something new and the next thing you know, it made you come back here. How did that girl—“

“She happened by chance, hyung. Meeting Lee Hayi only gave me more reason to do this.”

The steel that underlined his voice caught the older man off guard, his brows knitting together. He tsked, “Jaewon, you shouldn’t let a woman distort your vision.”

“She hasn’t. She only convinced me that I’m taking the right path. For me to meet her…and him. It means something, hyung…don’t you think? So I’m taking the chance.”

Ki-Seok said no more, but let his gaze hold his. However, Jaewon did not falter.

When the older man stood up, he crossed the room to the door with steady steps. It was only when he was about to slip out did he turn back to his dongsaeng.

“None of us will stop you. Not only Jay and I have missed seeing you on the field, but the whole underground scene. They’re awaiting your comeback. So if you must do this, then do it. Just… don’t regret it, Jaewon.”

The said male noted the way his words were stitched with caution.

“I know, hyung.”

The older man merely nodded, before leaving the room and the younger male to his thoughts.

No matter what’s at stake, Jaewon can’t imagine himself to regret it any longer. If the past must catch up to him like this with appearance of Lee Hayi, then surely it meant something. Because what else could it possibly mean..? He already tried to move on from the misfortune he encountered a year ago, but clearly things were not to be left unfinished.

From the way he sees it, Fate gave him a chance for revenge.

And so, what else could he do, but take it?

 

 

“Unnie... I want the butterfly clip please!” The younger girl requested cutely, the French braid across her head. It wasn’t perfect, the twists unevenly at some point, but it was good enough for the girl apparently, clapping her hands in glee when she finished. As awed as she was by Hanbyul, she couldn't help but be reminded of a certain male that once accompanied her and the girl before...

Feeling her chest tighten, she quickly forced a smile and dismissed her thoughts. 

“Alright,” She picked up the glittery butterfly clip and pinned it among the girl’s tresses. “There we go!”

Her chubby cheeks flushed as she thanked the older girl. Unable to resist, she back-hugged the little girl facing the vanity mirror until their cheeks squashed together. “Oh, you’re so cute!”

The two girls erupted into a series of giggles until a mellow voice interrupted from the little girl’s bedroom door. “That’s a beautiful braid.”

 Looking up the mirror, the girls spotted Mrs Kim’s at the door frame. As frail as she has been looking lately, an actual smile graced her face.

“Oh thank you,” Hayi tucked a strand behind her ear, “Even though I’m a little rusty. So does Hanbyul need to go now?”

“Yes, if that’s alright. I need to drop her at childcare early, I have errands to run after.”

Nodding, she ushered the girl from the vanity seat and to her mother. Bidding them farewell, they both turned towards the staircase when another figure met them on the hallway.

“Even if you have errands to go to, make sure you pick her up on time today. I won’t be coming home early to do it.” Hanbin's  tone were as coarse as sandpaper, making Hayi wince at his blatant disrespect.

“Why? Where are you going again?” Mrs Kim's brows furrowed even more. Doubt eclipsed her features. 

She hadn’t been pleased at the fact that her son returned home after two days of being away in a mangled state. Because of Hanbin's injuries, he stayed at Mino's house where he was attended closely by Jinwoo. The excuse he had used (and forced Hayi to support) was a sleepover at his friend's house. Thankfully, his mother was not too bothered with his activities then, the distance in their relationship evident. But it was when Hanbin had to return home to quell any further suspicion from his mother, did she see his condition.

Hayi had been with Hanbin then, hauling her weak best friend into the house and up his room. When Mrs Kim saw them, she greeted them in a rush of panic. Hanbin had said it was the most concerned attention she ever gave the boy in a while.

The girl could only imagine, for Hanbin has been doing all sorts of things behind her back and she had no clue about it.

It was hard for Hayi to explain that Hanbin had gotten into a stupid fight and that it had nothing to do with his two day absence. She had to reduce the gravity of the situation, even the extent of his injuries. The lies in felt like poison.

She had never had to lie to Mrs Kim before.

In the end, she forcibly engraved in her mind that this was all for Hanbin. And he was right, it was for the best his mother was to not know.

Not now for now, at least.

“I’m meeting up with my friends.” He explained uncaringly, before gesturing Hayi to come with him. 

“Oh, I’m sure you will.” Mrs Kim did not hide her disapproval, her harsh whisper said it all, “I won’t stop you from going out doing god knows what and to come home looking like you did last time. Battered up, black and blue, worrying me to death. But that’s exactly what you want isn’t it? You just want to stress me out even more.”

Turning away sharply, the harsh lines on the woman’s face become more profound as she whisked herself and Hanbyul down the stairs. Hanbin ignored her.

Hayi bit her lip. Witnessing family affairs like these were always awkward.

When she came into his room, Hayi heard the front door slam close, signalling his mother and sister’s departure. It was early, just as Mrs Kim said, the two of them having some time to spare before leaving for school. Hayi dropped by early at their house today to walk with Hanbin. 

“Can you go to the bathroom and check the bottom drawers for some pain-killers?” Hanbin asked, before filing through his wardrobe with difficulty. He was still weak, his form riddled with bruises.

Hayi wanted to help him, but did as what he asked. Stepping in front of his sink, her hands found the lower drawers and heaved. They were stiff and required her to use her whole strength. Abruptly, it gave away and she landed on her bottom.

The drawer laid askew, almost entirely out of its place with its contents spilled everywhere. Hayi blinked down to see all sorts of pills and medical items from bandages to compression wraps among the mess. She even spotted a bottle of concealer. When realization crashed over her, she felt sick. 

Of course, he had to be prepared after all.

Arranging the items back into the drawer and picking out the pills he wanted, Hayi tried to ignore the way her mood dampened as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter