xvii. together

Fatal Remedy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Note 1: *Awkward wave* guess who's back? (definitely not Winner). 
Note 2: I've been neglecting this. That I admit.
Note 3: Warnings: Quite lengthy(tyt, hons) + violence/cussing. 

chapter xvii | together

The next few days were tough with that rumour circling around. Wary eyes followed their every movement and despite his friends doing their best to act as if the rumour never existed, it was difficult. Today, it took its toll on one of the youngest. It was when Junhoe dumped his bag on the ground next to Donghyuk, did he rub his neck and sigh infuriatedly. At first, no one noticed except for Bobby. Hayi and the others only tuned in when the older male asked what the problem was.

“It’s just…there’s a group of guys in my class that keep pestering me. They’re so annoying and I keep telling them I don’t freaking know, but they still ask. Like hell I know if Hanbin hyung really got involved with some bad company—“

Hanbin, who sat next to Hayi, frowned. Seeing this, the others shot the younger boy a glare, effectively shutting him up. Jinhwan hauled the kid down to the grass they sat on. When Jinhwan began to rebuke Junhoe for his outburst, she turned to her best friend with concern glazing her eyes. Aside from the rumour, Hanbin had been busy with his hyungs as well.

The girl suppressed a shudder. His first match was coming up and as soon as his injuries got better, he was sent to train with Taehyun despite Hayi’s protests. On top of fretting over Hanbin however, Hayi was forced to face her own dilemmas. It was only a few days ago when she struggled to finish her application for the scholarship.

Yunhyeong desperately changed the subject and everyone else jumped on board. However, their eyes lingered distraughtly on Hanbin the whole time.

“Oh, unnie.” It was Suhyun who pulled out of the group’s conversation to pull something out of her bag. She a flyer in Hayi’s hand. “I picked this up from the library yesterday. Since you just finished handing in your application, I think it would also help to attend this tonight.”

It was a talk presented by the Literature professors from Seoul University. Mumbling her thanks, she accepted the piece of paper. She’s been busy despairing over her and Hanbin’s situation that she forgot about it. It was recommendable to attend, this was only a desperate option after all. When another day full of stares and whispers ended, Hanbin had walked home with Hayi until they parted ways. With a heavy heart, she watched him walk away knowing that tonight he would sneak home with a sore body.

It was training day today.

To distract herself from that knowledge, she attended the talk as suggested. The lecture room it was held in was huge and countless of people filed in. It was intimidating to think these people were probably endowed with literature knowledge that she did not have. Suhyun who encouraged her earlier assured her that everything would be fine. Once she’d get into the course, she’ll learn more about it. And how hard could creative writing be?

However as the presentation proceeded, Hayi felt her confidence shrink with all the information thrown at her. Was this really what she was signing up for? When it ended and everyone flooded out of the auditorium, she was bristling with apprehension.

“Are you alright, young lady?”

Looking up, she saw one of the professors who gave a talk. The girl could easily detect the formidable aura he emitted and despite the glasses perched on his nose, she could see a warmth in his astute eyes. 

“I…yes.” She mumbled, averting her gaze to the ground. An obvious lie.

He hummed, “So how did you find the session, are you interested?”

Hayi panicked even more. Wiping her sweaty hands on her pants, she could only nod. She still did not look, in fear he would know the truth.

“Oh I’m glad. I hope to see you as one of our first years.”

Sure, if I could even make it.

Hayi’s guts were twisting when she felt a pat of reassurance. Not expecting it, it roused her to look up. He was smiling, the quirk on his lips soft and his eyes glinting as if he understood every burden on her shoulders. It made her want to open and spill.

Everything.

She bit the inside of her cheek to hold off the urge.

“You’ll be alright.” And with that, he left to talk to another high schooler.

When the two left, Hayi thought back to his consoling speech. The simple words that fell on her as soft as snow, yet as warm as sunlight spilling from her windows on a Sunday afternoon. That’s when she realised she must’ve said her thoughts out loud, the reason why he said such a thing. Hayi found herself the business card he handed her, absorbing the neatly printed name on its surface.

Daniel Armand Lee, Literature Professor of Seoul University.

She smiled, remembering his small and short utterance. Her chest lightened.

 

 

“Does your mother even know you’re here?” Hanbin husked, wincing as Jinwoo poked at his ribs and various parts of his body.

“Hayi-ssi, pour the boiling water into the hot water bottle and give it to me.” Jinwoo instructed as he palmed one of the bruises he found on Hanbin’s side.

The girl quickly did as she told, before answering Hanbin’s inquiry. “I already told you. I told her I was going to meet up with you at the mall.”

She quickly became accustomed to this place, stopping by with Hanbin whenever she could. She also got along with his hyungs rather quickly, as if they weren't a gang involved with something risky. Surprisingly enough they treated her nicely, especially Jinwoo who liked her presence. Mino was another story altogether, but let Hanbin do what he want. 

Jinwoo wrapped the warm bottle with a soft hand towel, before ordering Hanbin to press it gently on the bruise. He did as he was told. The younger male did not reply and sighed softly when he reclined back on the sofa with the water bottle on his side.

“Leave it there for a while to get the blood circulating.” Jinwoo continued, before sending Hayi a nod. “Thank you for coming again Hayi-ssi. Having an assistant really makes it easier for me.”

The girl found herself mirroring the handsome smile the blonde-haired man sent her.  His newly dyed locks framing his face reminded her of those painted angels in European art.

“Of course, Jinwoo oppa. Anytime.”

When the male left their patient to her care as usual, Hayi sat next to Hanbin. He shifted deeper into the comforter, letting her sit comfortably on the sofa as well. A serene expression settled over his face, no creases of discomfort on the surface. It made Hayi relieved. If only he could appear like this forever.

“How was it…?” She hesitantly asked, not wanting to disturb the quietness in the basement of Song Mino’s house. Hayi couldn’t even find it in her to say the word ‘training’ because of how much she detested it.

“I’m okay.” His eyes were still close. Hanbin was aware that she didn’t really care what the training demanded because to her, it didn’t matter. It was all horrible and she was against it. In the end, she only sought one answer and that was if he was alright.

“How was your course session today? Are you still going for it?”

Hayi wished he wouldn’t bring that up. Even though she felt a little lighter after the talk with that certain professor, the subject was still delicate for her. Shrugging off the gloom that always arose when it came to her future, she gave him a simple narration of how it occurred.

“It doesn’t sound too bad.” He mumbled, eyes still shut.

She didn’t reply and instead shifted the subject to him, “How about you? You can’t keep…doing what you are doing now forever. Don’t you have aspirations Hanbin?”

To her surprise, the corner of his mouth lifted, “…Remember when I said I wanted to be a fireman when we were like, nine?”

Hayi felt herself mirror his expression, a flood of memories overcoming her in a pleasant surge, “I do actually. Is that what you still want to be? A fireman?”

The quirk on his lips became bitter, “I’m part of something terrible, Yi. Something that can get me kicked out from school and disowned by my family in two seconds flat. Criminals can’t become heroes.”

His unexpected words hit her like a truck that Hayi felt as if the air got knocked out of her. Her bottom lip trembled as the harsh truth was dumped on her like ice. A criminal—no future. She had always known just how deep they’ve gotten into this, but she’d always turn a blind eye from the truth. The actual danger of it all. The consequences. She thanked god that his eyes were close, her rosiness turning sickly white as her head ran with a thousand thoughts. Immersed in her newfound demise, she failed to notice him sit up. Only when he groaned did she look back at him with open,

“What are you doing, you’re hurt—“

“I’m sorry.” His eyes were dim, looking at her softly. “I should’ve been careful with what I said.”

Hayi had to inhale first, “But it is the truth isn’t it? And I’m also kind of involved too—“

His hands landed on her shoulders, turning her to him squarely. “No, you aren’t Hayi. I won’t let you get involved more than you are now. I promise you; you’ll walk away untainted.”

Naturally it touched her, but it wasn’t what she wanted. She shook her head, “You promised together, Hanbin. Together. So if you want me to get pass this safely, then you’ll do your best to keep yourself safe as well.”

He blinked at her, before a smile crawled onto his lips. He was glowing. “…I’m so lucky I have you. You always know how to straighten me up.”

She cracked a smile. “You’re just too impulsive.”  

Hanbin’s hands dropped to her waist, pulling her until her chin landed on his shoulder. She dug herself deeper into his embrace, their unspoken promise temporarily comforting the burdens in her heart. If she will escape from this unscathed, so will he. As she pondered on their little situation, her thoughts couldn’t help but also wander to a certain boy with black eyes. Hanbin who still held her, felt her shoulders sag.

“Don’t worry about it anymore.” He thought the girl was still thinking about their previous topic. Hayi chewed on her lip. Should she tell him what she did after the session? Hayi stopped by somewhere first, before going home that day.  She hadn’t told him about it yet. 

Making up her mind, she pulled away.

“Hanbin…” Her uncertain demeanour immediately pulled his eyes to her in apprehension.

“What is it, Yi?”

Finally finding courage, she met his gaze. “After the session, I went to my volunteering.”

The softness in Hanbin’s expression drained away, leaving behind a face that fell flat. With an even tone, he responded with a statement she expected.

“I thought you were taking a break from it.”

He was right. That had been her excuse for a while. But then again, it didn’t matter anymore.

“I quit.”

The moment her news rolled of her tongue, his brows shot up to join the lines on his forehead. They hadn’t discussed her volunteering work after the recent events they encountered. Too busy concerning themselves with the trouble they already had on their plate. However, during those moments Hayi had some time to mull over such things. The mystery surrounding Jaewon was still a mystery. Hanbin hadn’t had mentioned him a while, but the secret that Hayi still harboured to this moment had her on the edge of her seat. That text message was still on her phone and she had been deliberately missing her shifts. With a plea to the superiors about school stress, they’ve been understanding. It couldn’t last forever though, that she knew. Mino’s interrogation didn’t help either and it pressured her. In the end, Hayi who prioritised Hanbin’s safety over everything, chose him.

But that did not mean she was banishing Jaewon from her life. His number that constantly taunted her to call him, remained in her directory. Along with the memories they shared together, lingering in the dark caresses of her mind. She would never admit it to anyone, but she wasn’t ready to let him go.

Hayi will find out herself what she needed to know. Without Hanbin or his hyungs’ help. Not when they saw him as an enemy and haven’t bothered to enlighten her. 

“Why?” Hanbin hurled her a furrowed look.

“Isn’t it for the best? Didn’t you want me to stay away from him?” She attempted a smile to hopefully loosen his expression.

It did not work. Something crept onto his expression that made Hayi slightly perturbed. “I almost forgot about him. I’ve been preparing religiously for my first match since I finally know who my opponent is.”

Hayi caught onto the new bit of information with an alarming fright. “W-who…?”

The male paused to scrutinise her, forcing the girl to swallow her horror. Mino with the same expression flashed in her mind for a second, causing her to grow taut. She can’t plant the same doubt in him.

“It’s not Jung Jaewon, if that’s what you’re worried about.” There was something mild in his tone that made Hayi feign indifference.

“C’mon Hanbin, of course I’m worried. It doesn’t matter who…” She threw herself into his arms, unable to face him. “I don’t want you to get hurt.”

Hanbin hesitated for a while, before submitting into her embrace. “Right.” He murmured, arms tightening around her. “You’re just worried about me…”

She wasn’t lying to him, yet his actions caused an uncomfortable ball to form in . Has Mino already got to him…? It was almost as if he…no. He still hasn’t taken a liking to their relationship. That’s all.

“If Rose would just report something good for once.” The sound of his sigh broke whatever was stirring between them. Hayi relaxed in his chest.

“Who…?”

“Nothing. I just haven’t seen her in a while.” Hanbin seemed like he was muttering to himself than to her. It piqued her curiosity, remembering the phone call he received from a girl a while ago.

“You mean that girl who called you right?—who is she to you?” Her friendly attitude towards Hanbin shocked her and it was only through a phone call.

“An acquaintance. Forget about it.”

Hayi felt a tinge of jealousy and could’ve easily

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter