xix. rekindle

Fatal Remedy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

warning: barely proof-read + I advise you read the previous chapter before this. 
also this is late but congrats for ikon's recent success with love scenerio and for jaewon for finally debuting. as for lee hi, plz come back. 

chapter xix. | rekindle

“You know…don’t you?”

Hayi’s voice was almost inaudible, barely reaching him from where he stood.

Why? Why did she look so frail? So small? Trapped between him and the wall with that dim look in her eyes? How could Jung Jaewon cause such an effect on her—hell, why did he have to have such an effect on her at all?

Hayi had always said it always him. Him that she prioritised, him that she would stick by no matter what. So how come Jaewon had such an influence over her like this—when it was him, always him, while Hayi was his, always his.

With the load of burdens he already carried, this was what made him snap.  

She made a sound, a breath barely slipping past her lips when he smashed his mouth into hers. Her back hit the wall hard, but she didn’t squirm nor fight, no, as usual, Hayi let him do as he pleased.

That was the deal, wasn’t it?

So Hanbin took advantage, fingers curling into her hair, tilting her up to meet his demanding mouth while she felt her own hands grip onto his shoulder for leverage. It was messy, hot and angry as usual every time they did this, but this time emotions were running high. So high, he forgot where they were, and why they were doing this.

For a moment, Hanbin only felt his instincts and it was what was making his other hand wander, breaking boundaries, treading where he dared not to before. Soon enough, Hayi was panting into the air, not stopping his lips that wandered past her lips and along her jaw.

She panted his name, as he on a random spot on her neck, bruising and harsh. It was only after he did it, Hayi choking on his name, did he crash down.

His anger faded in a flash, leaving him cold and horribly, horribly guilty as he stared at the mark he branded on her. A mark so small and little, but it reminded him of the many bruises he left on his opponents before.

And he inflicted it on Hayi.

His sweet, innocent Hayi.

“S-, Yi….I’m—“

She brought him closer, burying her face into his neck, shaking her head.

“I’m sorry. It’s my fault,” His skin muffled her voice, “I neglected you. I avoided you. When I promised I’d stay by you, I—“

Heart twisting painfully inside his chest, he engulfed her in a hug.  Small hands landed on his back, pressing him further into her. Another apology was muffled into his school blazer, and he hugged her tighter.

“It just became too exhausting.” She went on wearily, “Trying to maintain my relationship with both of you. It’s exhausting.”

That’s when Hanbin realised the toll this has taken on her. All this time, the attention had been on him and the ty situation he got himself into while Hayi had tried her best to understand him. Help him. Even though she later came to find out a friend of hers was involved in this as much as he was.

It must’ve been hard to swallow.

“It’s not your fault—nothing is,” He argued, squeezing his eyes shut, “It’s me for involving you in the first place. I just…y-you shouldn’t have let me use you like this….My issues are my own problem, I should learn to control myself better.”

She rose her head, “But it was my idea, I wanted you to—“

“No, this is the last time. I will never kiss you like that again. Not of anger or frustration,” He gently gripped her face, making her eyes flutter, “Only out of what I feel for you.”

“Hanbin...“

“The deal’s off.”

And just like that, he dove down again, thumb caressing her cheek as he caught her in the gentle mesh of their lips, filled with nothing but the unadulterated love and affection he harboured for her. Hayi had stilled at first, before melting into his touch, looping her arms around him.

“I love you, Yi,” The declaration was a rough gust of air escaping his lips when he pulled away, but she accepted it all the same. She peered up at him lovingly.

“I love you too, Hanbin.”

Nothing had ever felt right, as Hanbin lost himself in the bliss of her response. Savouring their spoken feelings, instead of explosive passion, the intensity steadily rose when their lips reunited.  It was funny how different it felt that nothing felt wrong anymore. Not even when his lips strayed, leaving a searing path of kisses along her neck. Not even when she moaned softly into his ear, her hands roaming across his clothed chest in encouragement, fingers tripping over the buttons of his shirt.

The fumble of their hands, their erratic breaths, all of it was not the first time yet it felt it exactly like that. It was magical.

It was just too bad it was what caused them to miss the sound of a camera clicking before the door of the abandoned senior’s bathroom closed softly.

 

 

“About time,” Was what Bobby said when he spotted the sight of their clasped hands. It roused the rest of the gang’s attention as gasps and whistles resounded after. Together, Hanbin and Hayi joined their friends on their usual spot by the tree. It was lunch.

“No freakin’ way,” Suhyun gaped, while Jisoo clapped her hands in glee.

“Finally, girl!”

Meanwhile, a series of claps assaulted Hanbin’s shoulder. He was internally grateful they missed a sore spot there.

“Our Hanbin grew balls,” Jinhwan smirked, causing the others to giggle like little school girls.

“Wow, hyung,” Junhoe put a hand on his chest, “I never thought you’d do it. We’re so proud of you.”

“Same here, I thought it was going to be a lost cause,” Donghyuk added.

Whether he should berate them or not, Hanbin couldn’t decide, but when Chanwoo pitched in, he allowed a smile. He could always count on that particular dongsaeng, “Congratulations, hyung,” He also turned to Hayi, “Noona.”

“Thanks, Chanwoo-ah,” Hayi smiled, “Thanks everyone, but seriously, let’s move on shall we?”

Pink dusted her cheeks and Hanbin wanted nothing more than to enjoy the sight of them, but being dragged by his so-called friends weren’t helping. He shot them dry looks to reinforce Hayi’s plea.

“Hey, hey,” Yunhyeong held his hands up in surrender, “Don’t blame us, alright? Now we’re going to have to get used to a couple in our group and things might get weird and—”

“Yah,” Jisoo interjected, “Nothing will be weird, okay! Everyone practically saw this coming!”

“I didn’t! Kind of…” Suhyun then seemed to ponder on life, as her eyes wandering to the sky in thought. Bobby snickered, dropping a comment to rile her up as usual and the two fell into another banter. Everyone watched in silence until Jinhwan piped up.

“Now, don’t tell me later no one saw this one coming.” He was obviously talking about Bobby and Suhyun and when the girl heard that, she almost flailed in panic.

“What? With him?” She thumbed towards Bobby with an incredulous look, “No way, oppa!”

“Why, huh?” Bobby challenged, leaning towards her, “What’s wrong with me? Would you rather Jinhwan instead or something—?”

“YAH! Shut up, shut up!” Suhyun shrieked, trying to cover his mouth and everyone cracked up. There goes their daily entertainment again; the beloved love triangle in their group. Amidst the laughter, Hanbin never felt so at ease with his friends. It’s been too long since he last joined their antics and seeing Hayi do the same with a laugh of her own, he finally allowed himself to do the same.

Feeling a squeeze on her hand, Hayi looked down to see their interlaced hands and smiled.

 

 

“Don’t you think you’re being a little hard on the girl?” Taehyun mumbled through the cigarette in his mouth. Flicking his lighter on, he lit the stick and took a puff, “She’s not her, Mino.”

There was a harsh laugh, “Oh c’mon, Tae. Going soft now, are we? What, don’t tell me you’ve grown fond of the girl like Jinwoo has?”

The blonde male rolled his eyes, “Not really. It’s just what went down in the last meeting. Even I haven’t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter