xiv. friend or foe

Fatal Remedy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

chapter xiv. | friend or foe

Hanbin shrugged Chaeyoung’s grip off him and collected himself. He ran a hand through his hair. Again did he almost lose his composure and would’ve acted out again.

As if she read his mind, Chaeyoung folded her arms from across him.

“You’re lucky I was here this time. Don’t want you pushing innocents against the wall like you did last time.” When he didn’t say anything, she continued. “So I’m guessing that was him? He’s pretty cute, you know, I don’t even blame Lee Hayi—”

The heat of Hanbin’s glower immediately shut her up. Chaeyoung shuddered but her mischievous smile remained.

She always did this, but what was worse was the that she spewed without thinking. Her carelessness was annoying and he was convinced it was intentional each time.

If she wasn’t a comrade, he wouldn’t put up with her at all. 

“Just what did you pull me out of here for?”

If she recognised his snappish tone, she did not show it.

“I just wanted to drop by and acquaint myself to the great B.I,” she answered sweetly.

“So you’re wasting my time. Great.”

“Hey, it was good I did. You would’ve done acted out again if it weren’t for me. And now, I got a good look at our target. Sheesh. You’re as uptight as they say, aren’t you?”

Ignoring her, he prepared to leave. He only managed to take a step, when she blocked his way. Before he could retort, a manicured nail landed on his chest.

“Nu-uh,” she warned. “Don’t even think about going after them. Mino won’t be happy.”

Hanbin sighed out loud.

“She’ll be fine, I’m telling you!” Chaeyoung said. “You’ll just make things worse.”

She had a point and he hated it.

“Hey, Hanbin!” A male voice suddenly called from behind him.

Both of them jumped at the interruption. Immediately, he hissed at her to leave before they were caught together. Much to Hanbin’s relief, she obeyed but not before a playful wave.

They’ve been attending the same school for a while now, but have been instructed not to be seen together as a precaution. Like anyone would believe sweet Park ‘Roseanne’ Chaeyoung was part of anything illicit anyway.

When he spun around, he was met with the sight of his friends. They texted him for a meet up a while ago, suddenly inviting him out last minute.

“Hey… wasn’t that…” Junhoe scratched his head.

Hanbin panicked momentarily. The boy was in the same year as her so it wasn’t surprising if he recognised her. Even Chanwoo would’ve recognised her if he was here. Damn her dyed hair.

“Where the hell were you guys?” Hanbin digressed quickly.

Bobby jumped on him from out of nowhere, hauling him into a headlock. “The hell you mean! We were waiting for you this whole time!”

“Hey!” He gasped. “Get off!”

“—and here they go again,” Jinhwan said, rousing the others to laugh behind him.

Despite the bruises that hadn’t healed in his person, Hanbin didn’t mind his friend’s attack. Instead, he welcomed the distraction, their presence improving his mood already.

When Bobby released him, his grin turned into a hopeful one. “So, you’re coming with, right?”

There was a pang inside his chest as he discovered the same expression across his friends’ faces. 

As distant as he has been lately, they never let it get between them and always invited him out. No matter how many times he’d reject the offer.

Perhaps school was the only thing that kept their bond alive. It was the only time he was able to join in their antics without reserve. Without it, he probably wouldn’t see them for days, weeks even because of the other priorities he had.

“I…” He sighed, remembering his foiled plans thanks to Chaeyoung. “Sure, why not.”

Fortunately, his hyungs didn’t need him today, the five of them attending an event somewhere else. And his company was not needed.

The whoops that resounded after gained the attention of the other students but none of them cared. Hanbin couldn’t stop the smile growing on his lips.

Well, he did miss them after all and he needed a breather. With that final thought, he willed himself to forget everything else. For now.

 

 

Hayi didn’t know where her feet were taking them but in the end, it didn’t matter as long as they were no longer within the school grounds. Their sprint slowed into a jog and by the time they arrived at the main road, they joined the flow of people on the sidewalk.

An awkward silence crept between them.

If the circumstances were normal, if that night didn’t happen, she would’ve started talking already. But no, this was just as complicated as it was with Hanbin.

They couldn’t just act like nothing happened.

Gripping her bag, she made a sharp turn into another road to lose him. She thought she could face Jaewon but uncertainly swam in her belly. Hanbin’s warnings suddenly took hold of her and now she was regretting her decision.

She should’ve just hid. Or maybe stayed back to look for Hanbin instead.

But no, she just had to be so damn impulsive.

“Hayi!”

What made her halt, she wasn’t sure but her feet stopped at his call. He hadn’t sounded desperate or anything but the simplicity of it caught her off guard. He just sounded disappointed.

The sound of his footsteps eventually caught up with her. 

“If this is what you want, fine.” His voice was hushed behind her. “Just accompany me to this café not too far away from here. A final moment of your time and company, Lee Hayi. And I’ll leave you be.”

Her chest contracted. He was pleading.

There weren’t many options. It was either yes or no.

In the end, the thought of refusing him created a weight in her chest. Like if she threw away this chance, she would regret it for the rest of her life. And what could a few hours do?

Her faith in him was uncertain yet a strong need to prove her doubts otherwise overwhelmed her.

“Fine.”

 

 

The spiced latte sitting in front of her looked very inviting with its creamy top, sprinkled with cinnamon. However, it was yet to be tasted. For some reason, Hayi felt frozen stiff in her seat. She didn’t know what to say much less act.

Jaewon from across her emitted a loud slurp with his iced frappe. He was almost halfway done. That was how long it had been since they sat down with nothing but silence between them.

When he set down his drink again, a serious expression settled over his face. Not that he was laughing or smiling this whole time but it suddenly scared Hayi because it briefly reminded her what happened the last time they met.

She gripped her skirt tighter under the table.

“Hayi.” He sounded cautious. “I know what you must be thinking…”

Did he? Did he know how he and Hanbin pushed her between them, helpless and lost, unsure who to trust? Both their actions distressed her greatly. And still, they demanded so much from her.

“I bet you don’t know whether you should trust me or not.”

She pursed her lips, not liking the way he was accurate. At least he was aware of her dilemma.

“You know…I completely get it. I wouldn’t trust a person people told me not to trust either.”

Her brows shot up at that. “How did you…?”

“That rude guy—which I’m hoping is not your boyfriend by the way— said so himself that he didn’t trust me, so why should you?”

She became flustered at the assumption. “He’s not my boyfriend,” she said quietly.

He offered a weak smile. “What a relief. I would’ve hated to cause problems between you two.”

Too late.

Hayi almost laughed, recalling the last time she actually spoke to Hanbin. It did not end pretty. Instead of reassuring Hanbin that she wouldn’t meet with Jaewon anymore, here she was, sitting across him. And it was all because she didn’t know who to believe.

While she trusted Hanbin with her life, their relationship was also rocky at the moment. With the amount of doubts he planted in her head from his secrecy, what did he expect? And while she can’t easily side with Hanbin on the matter, she couldn’t fully trust Jaewon either.

Not since she witnessed a side of him she hadn’t known existed.

The vacant expression he wore just before he left with Ki-Seok turned him into an entirely different person. Empty eyes and a missing quirk on his lips, no emotions lit up his face and it te

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter