Scene 4

One Step Closer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

JB never would have guessed that, judging from his first encounter with her, that he would have ever managed to coax Aspen Stuart into even speaking to him again, let alone agreeing to anything remotely resembling a friendship. Over the course of the two weeks that passed since he had seen her journal he had made the effort to speak to her whenever he saw her, but her quiet, cautious shyness (and her residual mortification) remained firm, which made it somewhat difficult for him to appease his growing curiosity and intrigue over her, but it didn’t stop him from trying. He enjoyed her company and her vibe, for reasons that he couldn’t explain; outside of his friends, who were even too rowdy for him sometimes, Aspen gave him peace that he couldn’t find unless he was completely alone, and he was rarely ever completely alone.

 

December flew by in this manner, and before long Miami Shores High was coming up on the end of the last day of the semester. The halls were alive with the talk of plans for the next two weeks, especially in regards to what events would take place that afternoon and evening.

 

“I say we go to the beach,” Jackson said suddenly, seeming to materialize beside JB on the covered walkway as he headed toward the student parking lot. The rest of their group gradually fell into step with him as well, until they encompassed a considerable pocket of space in the traffic moving down the walkway, a body of people that drew admirers to them for greetings and various invitations for the winter break. “We can go eat at that place on Collins Avenue.”

 

“Can’t we make it tomorrow?” Junior questioned from behind them. “I have to do something with my parents tonight.”

 

“We’ll have you back in time,” Jackson tossed over his shoulder.

 

“That’s a lie and you know it.”

 

“Will you let that go?” Jackson griped exasperatedly; Mark, who walked on JB’s other side, and Youngjae, who walked behind him as well, both began laughing. “How often do you meet six Brazilian models at the same time? Never, which is why you make the most of it when you get the chance!”

 

“If I’m not back by seven, you’re explaining it to my parents.”

 

“Before we set up anything, we probably should ask our leader if he has plans already,” Mark called out; JB smirked, rolling his eyes.

 

“He’s been too busy for us,” Youngjae added.

 

“That’s not true,” JB said with a shake of his head.

 

“That’s just what happens when you get a girlfriend, guys.” That was Iris Sullivan, Jackson’s best friend and house mate, who seemed to have learned the art of materialization from Jackson.

 

“Where the hell did you come from?” Jackson demanded, looking over his shoulder.

 

“She’s not my girlfriend,” JB stated, though he wasn’t sure if anyone was listening.

 

“Yeah, right!” Jackson exclaimed, turning back to face him. “You’re always with her at school, harassing her into talking to you.”

 

“I don’t harass her!”

 

“You like her, though,” Junior interjected. “I don’t get why, but…” JB felt a sudden white hot anger towards his friend; he set his jaw, tightening the grip he had on his gym bag.

 

“Hey!” Iris said heatedly, surprising JB right out of his anger. “You’re not exactly Miss America yourself.”

 

“Ignore him,” Mark said dismissively. “He’s not old enough to appreciate the variety that is woman.”

 

“I saw that,” Jackson said to JB in a low, sly voice, reaching up to poke his cheek; JB shook his head, training his eyes on the front entrance of the school up ahead. They emerged from the school to find a line of yellow school buses waiting in the bus loop directly outside, but their group turned from it, their general sights set on the student parking lot to the left of it; with three driving juniors and three cars at their disposal, there was no need for any of them to take the bus. As they turned, though, JB caught a glimpse of a puff of dark, curly hair, and a glint of light off of a pair of glasses, and his eyes immediately zeroed in on her; she was exiting the school from one of the side entrances, her hands constantly busy between adjusting her clothes on her body, and adjusting the strap of her backpack on her shoulder as she walked. JB hated to give his friends any more reason to about Aspen, but he couldn’t help himself; he braced himself for future harassment internally, before turning towards his friends.

 

“We’re going to the beach today, right?” he inquired of them, walking backwards as he talked. “Text me the details.”

 

“Wait, what?” Before they could really ask him anything he turned and hurried off through the crowds, catching up with Aspen just as she stepped off of the curb.

 

“Hey, Aspen.” She didn’t answer, which automatically set a reminder off in his head. He tapped her shoulder and she turned to look up at him; her eyes widened slightly, as they always did when she saw him. She immediately pulled one of her earphones out of her ear, her attention trained on him. “I said hey.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter