Chapter 2

The Marriage Rule

“It that’s what worries you, I can assure you I will not break any of the rules. To be honest, you are not my type,” she answers confidently. Like any men she had met, he too, does not make her heart flutters. He is not the special one, her destined one.

“Are you?” she questions him back, taking in sip of her latte which just arrived timely to quench her thirst.

Incredible. You make my pride hurt the second time.

“You are not my cup of tea,” he smugly lifted his cup of tea and smirks, “I prefer woman who is tall, poise and attractive, apparently you don’t fulfill the criteria.” he in attempt to hurt her ego.

However to his surprise, she is not affected at all. Instead, she grins in approval. “Then, we are as good as friends, isn’t it?”

Friends

“Right, we are as good as friends,” he repeats coolly.

~

Congrats Miss Jung – Jessica lost count on how many congrats she has received in one morning from her fellow coworkers. Not exaggerating but even the cleaner, came up to her to congrats her personally.

“Ahjumma, why are you – “Just when she wants to find out the reason behind this anonymous congratulation, her phone rings. 

Jessica excuses herself to answer the call from her best friend.

“Hey Tiff,” she picks up the call.

“Oh my god Jess!” Tiffany is too loud that Jessica has to distance her phone away from her ear.

“What happens?” she asks with concern.

“You tell me!”

“Tell you what?” Tiffany confuses her.

“Am I your best friend?” Jessica can picture Tiffany battling her eyelids, pouting at her.

“Why are you asking this early in the morning, of course you are,” she replies.

“I am so disappointed,” Tiffany sighs over the phone. “Then, how come I do not know anything about you dating and not only that, but getting engaged with the second hottest man on earth? Please enlighten me, Jessica Jung.”

Second hottest man. Tsk.

 Jessica takes a quick breathe before her eyes widen. “By the way, how did you know about it?”

“It’s all over the media; can you please explain to me what’s going on? How do I not know you are dating in the first place?” she clicks her tongue and little bit mad.

Shoot

Is this why she is getting congrats for? It is for her upcoming wedding?

“Earth to Jessica,” Tiffany voice becomes so near and real, a finger snaps at her left ear brings her back to reality.

Jessica jumps up and startles. “You scare me, Tiff! What are you doing here?”

Tiffany gives her a creepy half smile as she lugs her arm across Jessica shoulder. “Of course I came to ask if the news is true.”

“Seriously, you came all the way here just because of this?” Jessica rolls her eyes, cannot believe her.

Tiffany nods. “This is VERY important.”

~

“Yes, it is unfortunately true. This is purely an arranged marriage by my grandmother,” she finally starts off with a sigh when they are in her office.

“Arranged marriage?” Tiffany eyes enlarges.

Jessica supports her chin with her both hand curls into a fist, expressing her frustration. “I don’t get it why grandmother insists on getting me married. I can accept and understand if she continues setting up a blind date but marriage to a complete stranger moreover. This is so – ”

“I can totally understand how you feel,” Tiffany expresses her empathy. She shares her own experience since she was also in an arranged marriage with the Choi heir because of business.

“Look at me now; I am a perfect living example. Your marriage might turn out to be your most magical and blissful just like mine,” she adds on with encouraging words. Because she, herself started off with her husband with total complete stranger, then slowly progressing as friends and lastly developing real and deep feelings for each other.

It’s not going to happen to us. We have our rules to obey. She is one stubborn woman, she admits.

Jessica shrugs her shoulder. She has never been in love so she doesn’t understand what love is all about. “I don’t have those special feelings for him at all.”

“Your fiancé is so handsome, hot looking man, how can you not have feelings for him?” Tiffany squeals.

“Of course, my Yeobo is more handsome than him,” she smiles sheepishly as Jessica playfully eyes  at her.

“I don’t really care about his looks but I am sure he must be a Casanova,” she gives her first impression of him.

“Jess, you cannot be so judgmental, you must learn and understand him before you make any conclusion. But he does look familiar like I have seen him somewhere before,” Tiffany taps her chin, trying to recall.

“Enuff said. Want join me for breakfast? I am famishing,” Jessica is enough of ‘Donghae’ topic.

~

Breaking news – The Lee Heir and Jung Heiress is announced to be engaged and they will be throwing a wedding banquet together in celebration of the Jung Corporation 50th anniversary as well as the merger of the two companies. It is indeed triple happiness. We send our heartfelt congratulations to the newly couple. We, also wish them the best.

Donghae clicks onto the todays’ news highlight and read the article about him and Jessica. They really act fast on it

He reads some of the comments such as how did the two meet (by both side families), how long have they been together (none), how they manage to keep their relationship private and confidential (they never been together in the first place) and etc.

Seriously? Why are they so interested in all?

Seconds later, he receives a call from his dearest cousin, Siwon.

“Hae, how did you get yourself engaged to Jessica?” Siwon questions immediately.

“Hyung, I just came back to Korea and there is no – I miss you Hae, long time no see, welcome back bro?” Donghae mimics.

“Oh right!” Siwon laughs. “Welcome back bro! I just return from Jeju for meeting and I chance upon this news. I was too excited to know if it's true so I want to confirm the news with you.”

“Hyung, it is an arranged marriage by my parents,” he explains with a soft sighs escapes from his mouth. “I cannot reject this marriage.”

“O” Siwon mouths. “So, you are indeed engaged to Jess. You are one lucky one.”

“You know her?” Donghae has this feeling that his cousin might know her given how informally he addresses her.

He was right when he replies, “Jess is Tiffany best friend! Anyway, let’s meet up for coffee now.”

~

The world is so small

“Yeobo!” Tiffany screams with love as she stretches her arms openly to invite her husband into her embrace.

“My Jagiya.” Siwon tightens the embrace, and plants kisses all over her and she giggles.

The lovebirds make both Jessica and Donghae squirm in embarrassment. They tentatively step aside and allow the lovebirds to absorb in their own pool of love. They are forgiven for their lovely acts because they haven’t been seeing each other for a week.

“Shall we get us seat first?” Donghae asks as he is getting goosebumps witnessing their lovely acts.

“Yes, please,” Jessica too,  cannot watch the mushy rated scene in front of her eyes.

“By the way, what are you doing here? Do you by chance know Siwon oppa?” She has been wanted to ask him when she sees him together with Siwon but do not have the chance since both Tiffany and Siwon makes a dramatic welcome.

“He is my cousin,” he reveals. “Table for four, please.”       

Oh. He doesn't seemed surprised to see me.

The pair finally enters the café and joins Jessica and Donghae.

“Hey Mrs. Lee,” Siwon playfully greets Jessica earning himself an icy glare.

“Is Miss. Jung, Oppa” she emphasis with a small frown.

“Does it matters? You are going to be Mrs. Lee in few months’ time,” Tiffany backs her husband. 

“Whatever ~” Jessica stirs her coffee.

Does the engagement with me bothers you so much?

Tiffany suddenly exclaims excitedly, “You are Yeobo cousin, aren’t you? We visited you few years back when we are having honeymoon.”

“Yes cousin in law,,” he smiles charmingly and casts a quick glance at Jessica whom has her focus outside the window panel. “This time I will be staying in Seoul for good.”

Tiffany elbows Jessica, “Are you listening?”

“What is it?” she asks, inattentive to their talks..

“Spacing out again,” Tiffany remarks as it is a  matter of fact. “Donghae is Siwon cousin, and remember I told you earlier that he looks familiar. That’s because we visited him back then, he stayed in the states for fifteen years,” she explains again.

“I know he is Siwon cousin, he told me earlier,” Jessica states casually but him staying in the states is a new piece of news to her.

“Sorry Donghae, Jessica likes to space out a lot. But she has the warmest heart and is very lovable behind this icy façade of her,,” Tiffany speaks up.

“Once she opens up to you, you will discover a true wild side of her,” Siwon adds on, further adding on her embarrassment.

Am I a product they are selling?

Donghae flashes a small smile as he listens while Jessica wants to dig a hole to bury herself.

I am interested to see the new side of her

~

“Neh Halmeoni,” Jessica answers.

“Sica ah, are you together with Donghae?” her grandmother checks.

She glances up to meet Donghae eyes. “Yes, I am with him. Why?”

“Omo. You guys are developing faster than I thought,” grandmother squeals in delight.

“Halmeoni, it’s not what you think it is. We just – “ met coincidentally

Without allowing her to finish her words, grandmother cuts in, “Since you are together with him, can you two make a trip down to the office now?”

“Alright, Halmeoni. We will be there.”

“Why did grandmother call?” asks Tiffany.

“Grandmother wants us back to office now,” she replies, directing the answer to Donghae.

“You mean me too?” he blinks, she nods. “What is it regarding?”

“She doesn’t mention. Sorry guys, we need to make a move first,” she apologizes and left the café with Donghae.

“Don’t they look matching together?” Tiffany eye smiles at her husband after the pair left.

“Agree on this, they look good together but they don’t seem to be interested in each other,” Siwon gives his opinion.

~

“Did you drive?” Donghae asks.

“No, I took a free ride from Tiffany. Did you?”

“My car parks there,” he points to the opposite side of the road.

Because there is no traffic junction, they have to jay cross to the other side. Jessica does not feel safe crossing the road dangerously. When the road is almost clear, Donghae crosses the road first, leaving behind Jessica on the other side who stands dumbfound.

“Hey!” he waves up his hand to catch Jessica attention after realizing she isn’t following behind him. “Come over!”

“I don’t dare, it’s too dangerous,” she shouts back.

Seriously? Ugh.

He looks out for the traffic flow and crosses over to join Jessica. He then grabs her hand and leads her on crossing the road successfully.

Jessica swings her hand from his grip. “Yah! Do you know you break our rule 1?”

He rolls his eyes. “I am assisting you to cross the road, it is just only grabbing for safety purpose.” Unbelievable. At this point of time, she still remembers the freaking rule.

Cats catch her tongue. He is just being helpful.

“Sorry,” she looks down. She must admit that her tone is harsh.

“Never mind,” he says. Bipolar

“Have you read the news about us?” he breaks the silence on their way back.

“Yes, I think it must be grandmother who divulges it to the press,” she says with a pout.

~

“Halmeoni,” both of them greets Madame Jung.

“My grandson in law,” But is Donghae whom Madame Jung embraces him with wide smiles.

“Halmeoni…” Jessica cutely calls for her grandmother attention, although jealous but she manages to break a small smile seeing how happy her grandmother is.

Grandmother laughs it off seeing Jessica reaction even Donghae laughs as well.

“Sorry to disturb your date in their morning,” she let out a soft giggles. So happy.

“Halmeoni…” Jessica whines shyly.

“Anyway, the reason I call for both of you is that I want both of you to attend a function in Singapore,” she says straightly.

~

A/N: I did not do a proof read, any mistake please forgive me.