No Complaints

Not Without You

Heechul went rigid at the feel of Hankyung's lips against hers. It had caught her off guard and the warmth in the kiss was more than enough to encourage her to respond, returning the kiss enthusiastically. She wasn't sure who broke the embrace but when they did, the two simply stared at each other for a moment. Heechul watched the corners of Hankyung's lips lift into a soft, loving smile. She blushed and turned away, trying to calm her now trembling hands. 

"I - uh - I've got to go." she started, stumbling over her words. "I - um - hae a meeting with my - uh - publisher." She shoved her laptop as best as she could back into its bag and stood up, tripping over the leg of the coffee table as she started towards the door. Hankyung still sat in shock. He didn't even blink when the door closed a little bit too loudly behind him. He couldn't believe what had just happened.

Heechul ran down the stairs of the apartment door and into the fresh air where she felt she could finally think. She leaned against the nearest wall. Her fingers moved to her lips, still tingling from the kiss. What was happening to her? That kiss had been like nothing she had ever felt. The warmth and love that emcompassed it still radiated through her. Why was her heart pounding as much as it was? Any time she thought his name, the butterflies would take off her in stomach. Heechul put her hand to her heart, as if trying to stop the fluttering, and tried to catch her breath as she took in her surroundings. Thankfully, she knew where she was and could easily get back to her apartment.

Dread replaced the lighthearted fluttering. There was no way she was ready to face Jae quite yet. She had seen him the day before but he had been too hung over to register that she was there. And he must suspect something since she didn't come home the night before. Well, it was a good thing that she was meeting Leeteuk that evening to discuss a few details about her new novel. No, she hadn't lied to get out of Hankyung's apartment. She really did have a meeting that night. Of course, it wasn't for another hour or two - just enough time for her to get back to the apartment and change into a bit more professional attire. There was no way she was going to show up at something important wearing the clothes of some guy whose house she just happened to be at the previous night. Butterflies again. 

Almost too soon, Heechul walked into her and Jae's apartment. The man was nowhere to be found. Probably out with Yunho again. With a relieved sigh, she walked into her room and locked the door, making sure it was secure before she showered and got ready for her meeting. Finally, it was close enough to time for her to go that she wouldn't be too early and most definitely not be late. She left without looking over her shoulder to see if her flatmate had come back yet. 

The white office was oddly welcoming this time. It's not that Heechul didn't like being there; it was just that she didn't like corporations in general. Too stiff. Not near enough scope for the imagination had always been her plagiarized excuse. But this time was different. Leeteuk had always been a friend and, considering her recent success with her latest novel, a really good one at that. They had been in the same classes together since preschool. He was only 9 days older than her. And sometimes it felt better to be able to be the younger and act like the kid instead of the responsible adult that the older was expected to act like. 

She smirked when Leeteuk turned around in his chair. The man dimpled back. Leeteuk does not smile; he dimples. 

"Chullie!" he exclaimed like a little kid. Heechul rolled her eyes at the nickname. He had called her that for as long as she could remember. In fact, he had been the one to come up with it.

"Hello, Teukie." She answered with her own endearment for the man. She sat down on the couch in the visiting area of his personal office after receiving a hug and a bottle of water. "So, what did you need?"

"Well," Leeteuk started, taking the seat across from her. "I actually just wanted to congratulate you on your recent success. I read the review. Your parents would have been proud of you." He looked at her, his dimple showing up on his cheek again. Heechul couldn't help up smirk back, drinking a sip of the water.

"Thanks." she answered after a moment. "But I don't think they would have cared. You remember what they were like." Leeteuk sighed.

"Well, I'm proud of you anyways. Not just as your publisher but as a friend too." Dimple. Heechul couldn't resist the urge to reach over and poke the small indention. Another smirk. The two made small talk for another hour, speaking in an official tone anytime someone walked into the room to ask Leeteuk a question or for any other business. Everytime the person would leave, the two friends would look at each other and try not to laugh at the terrible impersonations of business men/women they were currently practicing.  

Finally, Heechul left the office with a hug and walked back into the apartment feeling pretty good with herself. For some reason, she always felt better after being around her perky publisher. His light heartedness was exactly what she needed that day. But all good things must come to an end.

She was just about to lock the door behind her when she heard a deep voice speak from behind her. The words were slurred slightly. Her heart dropped through the floor at the sound. 

"Where have you been?" Jae asked. Heechul turned around slowly to face him. He was standing at the end of the entrance hall, watching her. His eyes were slightly glazed. He hadn't been too far into his drinking when she walked in so he was still fairly sober. 

"Talking with my publisher." she answered, shrugging the question off and starting towards him, her heart pounding harder with each step. When she was finally in front of him, he put his arm in front of her, preventing her from going any further. She took two steps back, not comfortable with his proximity to her and put her hands on her hips, hiding this fact.

"You know that's not what I mean. Where have you been these past two days?" His voice was serious. If Heechul didn't get out of this situation soon, her heart was going to drill a hole through her chest. Not that she'd let him know that. 

"At a friend's house and at the cafe." 

"A guy friend?" he asked.

"Is that any of your business?" She retorted, tilting her head to the side. She had to force her trademark smirk onto her face though it felt more like a grimace. She was a good actor, but not that good. Jae took a step towards her. 

"I would like it to be." He paused and looked the woman in front of him up and down. "Especially after the other night." Another step. Heechul moved away.

"Don't worry about that. Let's just forget about it." She said, ducking under his arm to get to her room. Wrong move. He grabbed her arm to stop her. Now he had a grip on her and Heechul knew from the look in his eyes that he wouldn't let go. Not tonight. Panic ran through her. She was almost sure he could feel her pulse go into overdrive. Was it just her or was the room starting to spin? 

"What if I don't want to forget about it?" He answered, already inches from her face. He cut off her attempted answer with a kiss very similar to the first one. Heechul felt her body start to shut down as she tried to fight back. But Jae had her pinned against the wall and there wasn't much she could do. That is, until her felt her legs collapse under her when she was able to breathe again, the weight pinning her against the wall suddenly gone. The shirtless man lay dazed on the other side of the hall.

When Heechul finally looked around to see what had happened, she saw her savior standing above her. He reached down and hoisted her firmly to her feet, not taking his eyes off of Jae who was on the verge of unconsciousness, an already darkening bruise swelling his cheek and jaw. 

"Where's your room?" Hankyung asked, not even looking at the woman but never moving his strong arm from around her. She pointed to the cracked door at the end of the hallway and he all be dragged her into it, sitting her on the bed. He took what he thought would be her essentials and threw them into the bags found around the room then grabbed her hand and pulled her out, still not looking at her. Heechul followed obediently, ready to get out of the apartment as quickly as she could. Nope. No complaints.