The Sweet Escape

Not Without You

A/N: This is where the story changes POV. Sorry if it confuses anyone...

************

Hankyung tried not to smile at the woman in front of him as she tried to hide the blush that tinted her cheeks. He had startled her when he slid into the seat across from her. Typically, he wouldn't be quite as forward with a woman that he had only just met the previous day but there was something about the way she was looking at her computer screen that gave him the courage to step in and interrupt her thoughts. A tormented expression had marred -- what he saw to be -- her beautiful face. She glared at him over the rim of her coffee cup after recovering from her small state of shock. 

"Can I help you?" Heechul asked, her snarky attitude coming through. 

"You looked like you were pretty deep in thought." Hankyung explained nonchalantly, shrugging it off as if him doing this was an everyday occurance -- which it wasn't.

"So you decided to interrupt me? I'm a writer. I'm always deep in thought so I have that kind of expression. What's your excuse?" Heechul answered, grateful for the distraction though not exactly willing to show it. The corner of her lips twitched, trying to keep from smiling while Hankyung's grin broke across his face at the woman's banter. 

"Congratulations again on the good review." Hankyung broke the silence settling around them. "Was that your first novel?" 

"Here you go, Hankyung." Ryeowook placed a cup of coffee in front of the man and winked at Heechul who in return looked befuddled. 

"Thanks, Wookie." Hankyung looked at the man for a brief moment then back at Heechul.

"It's not my first novel but it is the first to get such a good rating."

"And they already have you working on your next one?" he asked, trying to peek at the laptop screen. Heechul glared at the man as she tilted the screen towards her, hiding the desktop.

"Yep." was her one word answer as she dragged her fingers lightly across the keys, careful not to actually press any of them.

"What's this one about?" Hankyung sipped his coffee, leaning forward onto his elbows. He let one arm fall on top of the other when he put the cup down. Heechul narrowed her eyes.

"You'll just have to find out when it comes out next year." she responded, looking back at the screen. A new idea for the plot had suddenly materialized. Her fingers flew across the keys in an attempt to keep up with her mind. 

"Alright. I will." Hankyung responded. The typing stopped for hardly a second; just enough time for Heechul to recover from the temporary shock his answer had sent her into. She cleared , forcing the blush away from her cheeks.

"Well you're not going to be able to if I don't get it finished. I have three chapters due by midnight tomorrow night and I only have one of them written. So if you will excuse me." Heechul turned back to the screen, not daring to look directly at the man in front of her. She saw him smirk as he leaned back in the seat, sipping at his coffee again.

Another page down. 

Heechul peeked through her eyelashes at Hankyung one more time to find him slouched back in his chair, one arm extended to his cup on the table, the other hand resting on his knee. He was still staring at her intently as if expecting her to spontaneously combust or something of the like. She jerked her head towards him, exasperated.

"What do you want? What happened to the shy gentleman I met yesterday?" she asked. Hankyung shrugged.

"To answer your second question, I'm only shy until I get to know you." 

"You don't know me." Heechul interrupted, rolling her eyes.

"I know you enough. You're Kim Heechul, published and accomplished author whose most recent novel earned high reviews from some of the toughest critics in the country. You're snarky and enjoy making people feel uncomfortable. You live in an apartment with your best friend." Hankyung's face broke into a grin when Heechul nervously took another sip of her coffee. "And you like your coffee black with two sugars." He finished, crossing his arms in finality with a smug expression. Heechul blinked.

"That's creepy." She pointed at him after setting her mug down. Hankyung laughed. 

"Learned all of that last night at your congratulatory party." He leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. "And as for your first question: dinner. Eight o'clock at the restaurant. I'll close early so we can have to whole place to ourselves." He stood up. "See you then." and walked out without waiting for an answer. 

Heechul sat in shock, opening and closing giving her an appearance similar to that of a fish out of water. 

"Hmpf!" She threw herself against the back of her chair and poured the rest of her now cold coffee into , her cheeks expanding with the excess liquid that she couldn't swallow. She sat back up and started typing intensely, her expression suddenly furious. Who was he to just assume that she would agree to go with him? The nerve of some people! She just wouldn't go. That's it. Just not go. 

She swallowed the remnants of the black liquid in her cheeks, calmer now, and looked towards the spot where the Chinese puppy had disappeared. Well, he wasn't much like a puppy any more, was he? More like a full grown doberman, proud and smug. She scoffed and shook her head at the thought. 

An hour and two cups of coffee later, Heechul had finally finished the chapter that she needed done for the day. She saved her work triumphantly, leaning back and stretching before packing everything back up and paying for her drinks. Well, at least trying to. Yesung and Ryeowook had both protested when she pulled out her wallet and insisted that black coffee and sugar cost them next to nothing to just let her have. Besides, she was a regular customer seeing as she was in there six out of the seven days every week. And that's only because they were closed on Sundays. Heechul thanked them and walked out the door heading for her friend Sungmin's house. She needed to vent to someone and she knew he would listen and give her the best advice he could manage.

Okay. Maybe she would go tonight. There's no harm in just going for dinner, right? Of course she's right. She's Kim Heechul. And Kim Heechul is never wrong.