Headquarters

Not Without You

The rest of the day and late into the night was utter chaos. Everyone began moving things in and out of the basement while trying not to cause a scene. They were failing miserably. The guests in the cafe would look up on occasion when a loud thump followed by a shout or something of the like would come from the floor beneath them. Ryeowook and Yesung would simply look at each other and shrug, acting as if it were just an ordinary thing. When asked what the noise was, their excuse was that they were having the bottom floor remodeled. It wasn't a lie. But little did they know that it just wasn't the whole truth. In fact, the basement had been destroyed by the time the two closed the cafe that night.

They walked down the stairs, unsure of what they were going to meet, and were greeted with loud voices echoing down the slender hallway. Everyone was gathered in a room they had designated as their 'break room'. It had previously been an empty room probably mean to be large director's office or something of the sort. It now held a small table and chairs, a mini frige, a coffee maker, couches and a small television. The room was large enough to hold all 13 members of the unit. They were all grouped up among themselves, carrying on their own conversations.

"Last time I saw you, you had a black eye, a broken leg, and half a brain." Heechul said, obviously responding to a comment Kangin had made. The man looked as if he were fuming at the comeback.

"Yeah, well, last time I saw you, you were platinum blonde and ten pounds lighter."

"And I'm still better looking than you." Kangin clicked his teeth and turned to join the group of guys that were watching the soccer game on the small television. Heechul smirked and followed him, only diverting from the path when she saw Hankyung leaning back on the couch from sitting up, yelling at the screen. She walked over and threw herself into his lap, startling the man and causing him to hesitate for a moment before wrapping his arm around her waist. She smirked at his reaction. The task of keeping the younger man on his toes had become one Heechul had gladly taken as her own. She felt she did a good job with it too. Hankyung wouldn't hesitate to agree. She was about to open to say something when she was interrupted by their leader.

"Alright, I think we've done enough for today. We'll get everyone's equipment moved in tomorrow and start working on our strategy." Everyone murmurred their agreement and left, going their separate ways once they reached the door of the building. 

Heechul and Hankyung walked back to their apartment in near silence. Well, it would have been silence if not for the occasional comment Heechul would make about her new office or the fact that she hated being back in an office at all. Hankyung only smiled as he closed the door and locked it behind him. He proceeded with his routine of checking each of the rooms, Heechul taking the left hall, him the right. Once they had established that no one had followed them into the building or had been hiding out waiting for them, they got ready for bed.

Heechul opened the bathroom door and draped her black robe over her shoulders before making room for Hankyung to come in and brush his teeth. The man remained silent the entire time, trying not to look at the woman beside him who was watching him out of the corner of her eye. He walked back into their bedroom and sat on the bed, taking out his favorite book, one he had taken from Heechul's personal library. Granted, it was one of her books, the lastest one to be exact. Said author walked out of the bathroom now in Hankyung's favorite button up shirt and carrying her hair dryer and brush. She sat in front of him and handed him the beauty supplies.

"Help me with my hair. I don't feel like drying it myself." Hankyung chuckled and put down his book with a nod. Heechul turned her back to him and sat cross legged in the middle of the bed, close enough for the dryer to reach her. The man began running the brush through her hair, turning on the dryer. He was careful not to leave it in one place for too long so as not to burn her scalp. Usually, they would talk while he played with her hair but this time the only sound in the room was the low buzzing of the hot motor and an ocassional satisfied sigh when Hankyung would run his fingers over the sensitive spot behind her ear. He watched the red locks fall back into place when he was startled out of his reveree.

"What is wrong with you tonight?" Heechul moved to face him in one swift turn. Hankyung nearly dropped the dryer before stuttering.

"N-no-nothing. Nothing wrong. Why?" he inquired.

"You're acting extremely weird. You haven't said a word since we left the cafe." She looked at him skeptically. The man was avoiding her eyes. "Now you won't look at me. What's wrong?" Hankyung turned his head to look at the woman but found that he could only look beyond her. His gaze rested on the corner of her eye. Hopefully she couldn't tell.

"Han Geng." His eyes shot the couple of centimeters to meet her pupils in shock. That was the first time she had used his given name. And it frightened him. He felt like the woman in front of him would hate him if she knew everything that had been going on behind the scenes of that fateful assignment. He had been reminded of his fears when he received a second letter from the same sender, threatening to reveal those secrets to Heechul. The secret itself would kill her, much less him. He had tried to force those fears from his mind but during the meeting, when Heechul had sworn that she wouldn't leave Leeteuk, they were brought up again; stronger this time.

Her eyes bore into him as if trying to read every part of him. This was why he couldn't look at her. He was frightened she would see. See his imperfections, his past, his true self.

"I've just been trying to adjust to all of this again. It's a lot to take in after being out of it for so long." That would have to do as his excuse. He took a deep breath. "Are you sure this is really what you want, Heechul?"

"I can take care of myself, Hankyung. Don't worry about me." Heechul gave a frustrated sigh. She turned back around in an exasperated huff, allowing the object of her frustration to continue drying her hair which he did in silence. When he was finished, he kept brushing out any left over tangles from the shining red locks. Kim Heechul was not made for silence. It just wasn't written into her DNA. It never sat well with her. 

"What were you reading earlier?" She had to ask.

"Your latest novel." Hankyung's voice was lighter this time.

"Really?"  Heechul looked over her shoulder slightly. "How do you like it?"

"I love it. It's just as good as your other ones. You get better with each one." At this, the woman in front of him blushed.

"You've read all of my books?" she asked, her voice trembling in embarassed shock. Hankyung nodded.

"Of course." This time it was Heechul's turn to be quiet as she turned back around. "Those are all things you've been through." Heechul nodded.

"You're supposed to write about what you know. And I know about undercover spy work. Therefore..." She let her sentence hang, knowing he would understand the implication.

"Multiple characters playing out one woman's biography." He chuckled. Heechul shivered with his next sentence. He had leaned forwards, putting his lips right next to her ear. "But I have yet to see a lover in any of these stories." The woman quickly recovered and tilted her face towards him.

"Really? You should read the one I'm working on now." She smirked at Hankyung's grin as he claimed her lips with his own, the brush already forgotten.