The Connection

Not Without You

The noise in the room went directly from silence to loud protests. Hankyung sat back, not letting them effect his expression. He knew what he was talking about.

“Shut up!” Heechul shouted over the noise. Silence ensued once again. “Everyone out! Go do something productive.” Everyone obeyed the second-in-command’s order and hurried out the room without another word, not wanting to anger the already shaken diva any further, so that the only people left in the room were Heechul, Leeteuk, and Hankyung. Heechul turned back to the now proven to be insane man she called her boyfriend. “Do you have a death wish?”

“I must. I’m dating you, aren’t I?” Heechul glared, not in the mood for jokes.

“Heechul, relax.” Leeteuk spoke. “This is no laughing matter, Hankyung. You’re suggesting that we go into enemy territory when we’re at our most vulnerable point.”

“That’s exactly why I’m suggesting that. No one is going to expect us to do that. They’re going to expect us to go into hiding once again. The last thing we want to think about doing is running straight into the danger. That’s why it will work.” Hankyung tried to explain. Heechul and Leeteuk could see where this idea had come about and it made sense but there was one problem.

“And how do you suggest we go about infiltrating one of the biggest government organizations on the planet without getting caught or killed?” Heechul smugly responded. She was sure he didn’t have an answer for this. In all the time she’d known him, he wasn’t one to truly think things through.

“I still have some contacts that will help us get in.” Hankyung smirked, knowing that his girlfriend doubted him. Wait until she found out who the contact was. A sudden fear rushed down his spine at the thought. Okay, maybe he should stay as far away as he could.

Heechul sat back in her chair and crossed her arms.

“Fine. We’ll do it. But only because we have nowhere else to go. Which, by the way, how do you plan on fixing that, Mr. Contacts?”

“We’ll stay here tonight.” Leeteuk was the one to speak up. “You can sleep on the couch in the lounge. Hankyung and I will take the floor. We’ll leave for the main branch tomorrow.” He then turned to Hankyung. “Can you get in touch with your contact by then and get this whole thing set up?” The younger man nodded. He would have taken out his phone and made the arrangements right then but one look at the clock told him otherwise.

Like everyone else in the unit, the three leaders were unable to sleep. They were up working on strategies they could utilize to get the needed information in the shortest amount of time. It may not have been expected that they would be there but the less time they spend in enemy territory the better off their chances of coming back alive were.

Hankyung’s contact was willing to help them and would be meeting them when they got into the main building after they got off of the plane that afternoon. Hankyung, Heechul, and Leeteuk stood on the sidewalk looking up at the skyscraper looming above them. The boys were in suits that had been sent with the driver that picked them up while Heechul had reluctantly changed into the woman’s suit that had been provided dressing it up with a colorful scarf in lieu of a tie. ‘Just because I have to be undercover again doesn’t mean I have to look the part’ she had said when the boys had given her a strange look.

They walked into the building with authority and flashed fake IDs at the guards who let them pass. Heechul let out a breath she didn’t know she had been holding. Apparently she wasn’t the only one, two sighs from either side of her proving the theory. They looked at each other in relief.

“He said he’d be in one of the conference rooms. 205.” Hankyung said, looking at the slip of paper he pulled out of his pocket and walking ahead.

“How do we know this isn’t a set up?” Heechul whispered to Leeteuk as they followed.

“We don’t.” He answered in a lower whisper and caught up with Hankyung, leaving Heechul to stumble slightly at the words. She thought they knew what they were doing. This was definitely an omen; not that she actually believed in those but still. This was definitely a bad omen.

She caught up with them just as they were about to go into the conference room they had been told to go to. The boys disappeared behind and the door shut, leaving her in the hallway. She took that moment to gather her thoughts and get into whatever character she needed to be in. When she finally opened the door, not two but three familiar faces stared back at her and a chill went up her spine followed shortly by an anger she thought she had finally pushed away. Jaejong stood behind the long table in a suit identical to the ones Hankyung and Leeteuk were wearing.

“Took you long enough.” Jae said, noting Heechul’s expression but not paying it any heed. Leeteuk and Hankyung on the other hand feared for their lives. He knew that look. This was not going to end well.

“HE is your contact?!” Heechul wanted to scream but her voice came out in merely a strangled cry, pitching on the last word. “You lied to me AGAIN!”

“Heechul this is my doing. Don’t blame them.” Jae said in defense of the two people on either side of him. “Hankyung couldn’t tell you any of this. It would have jeopardized our jobs.”

“You, shut up! This is between me and them.” Heechul held her hand out to Jae, silencing him before he could continue.

“Leave Leeteuk out of this, Heechul. He had nothing to do with this. He just found out himself.” Hankyung defended the older man, knowing that this instance was all his fault.   “But can we please discuss this later. Jae was just telling us what is going on around here.” Relenting to her boyfriend’s plea, Heechul stayed silent.

“Now, as I was saying,” Jae continued, watching the woman take a seat across from Hankyung and sending him a passive glace that chilled the room ten degrees. “You were right when you thought Dragon was after you.” He pulled out a stack of files and put it in front of them. A company profile picture of the platinum blonde stared up at them. “He was reinstated two months ago when he was released from his community service.”

“I thought he had another year.” Hankyung stated. The assassin had been sentenced to three years of community service after one of the fires he started had gone out of control. It had been an off day for the man and it got him in more trouble than it was worth.

“He did but the director was able to buy him out.” Jae explained. He personally did not agree with the man’s methods. He had never been a fan of the cover unit. That was one reason why he agreed to help his old friend. What scared him the most (that is until Heechul walked into the room) was the fact that once The Dragon was after you, there was little to no chance of escape. The man worked fast and efficiently. It had been pure luck that the now hidden unit had gotten away with no casualties. There was no promise of such luck next time they are targeted.

“This is all of his information?” Leeteuk inquired, reaching for the folder. Jae shook his head.

“No. That’s all I could get of it. The rest is under lock and key. I have no way of accessing it without tipping off the heads that you all are here. We’re pushing it even with this.” Leeteuk nodded his understanding.

“It’s alright. We can get Sungmin and Kyuhyun to get the rest of the information for us. It shouldn’t be too hard for them.”

“What are the rest of these folders?” Heechul asked, flipping through the ones that were left on the table.

“Those are profiles of the heads of departments. They are the ones in charge and the ones that would have anything to do with you all. The last three folders are documents from past failed operations, including yours. I figured it would help you predict what they are planning to do with your unit.” Jae said. “There are detailed explanations of how the unit was taken care of and the cases closed in each of them. Your own folder is the last one. They assume you’re dead at this point after the attack last night.”

“Thank you. These will help us tremendously.” Leeteuk stood up. “We appreciate you doing this for us. We know what this must be costing you.” He extended his hand for Jae to shake. The younger man gratefully took it.

“It’s the least I could do. It’s already cost you all a lot.” The three agents sighed, remembering that they no longer had homes to return to. “Please be careful. The Dragon has only failed once and even that was an easy cover. Don’t let him close to you. If he finds you, you’re not going to make it out.” The three nodded and thanked Jae once again, Heechul adding a pursed lipped nod towards him as they walked out of the building and found their way back to their hotel.