You Know Me

Not Without You

The two reached the apartment door with little to no problem. The worst thing that happened was they had stop once for Heechul to empty the contents of her stomache into the nearest trashcan. It was slow going and when they reached Hankyung and Heechul's apartment, Leeteuk had a thin layer of sweat on his forehead. Hankyung let him in and pointed the man back towards the bedroom. They tucked a now unconscious Heechul under the covers and closed the door behind them before sitting down neither stating the need to talk. They both knew there was almost too much to discuss. The majority of it was about the woman now sleeping in the room behind them.

Hankyung brought two coffee cups filled with the black liquid into the living room and handed one to the caramel haired man.

"You dyed your hair again." Hankyung observed. Leeteuk dimpled in response, running his hand through his hair.

"Yeah. I got tired of the blonde." He took the cup and downed most of its contents in one gulp, grateful for the warmth it provided. "Seems like Heechul decided to go auburn this time too." Hankyung chuckled in response, remembering the hair dying process. He looked back at the newly redecorated bathroom with a smile then sighed.

"So what did you two fight about this time?" Leeteuk asked. Hankyung reaced into the side table where he had just moved the envelopes and pulled them out, handing them to the slender man. Leeteuk nodded in understanding, explaining that he had received his own threat.

"Do we know if anyone else has received them?" Hankyung asked. Leeteuk shook his head.

"If they have, they haven't said anything." The two men sipped at the coffee cups in heavy silence.

"What are we going to do, oh great leader?" Hankyung said the last few words with sarcasm, trying to lighten the mood. Said leader didn't find it funny. He merely ran his free hand through his hair with a heavy sigh. He had never been able to remove himself from the mentality of leading his unit. They were all like his children and, in his mind, he had to do everything he could to protect them. He had spent the last twenty-four hours trying to figure out what to do. Nothing had come to mind and after their meeting at the publishing company he had been unable to get ahold of Heechul to help him. He looked at he disheveled man in front of him, now understanding why. If he had someone to go home to, he would have done the same thing. His eyes flickered towards the door the woman was sleeping behind. The action did not go unnoticed by the Chinese man.

"If something happens to me, Leeteuk, please make sure you take care of her." The older looked at him curiously. "I don't know what I'd do if something were to happen to her."

"But why-" Leeteuk started but was cut off.

"You're not exactly discrete about it, Jungsoo. We all know. We all see the way you look at her. She's the only one dense enough to not see it." Leeteuk blushed, knowing that what the man said was true. He had loved Heechul from the moment he saw her. He had been ecstatic when he found out she was going to be his second-in-command. They had grown up together in a small town before joining the military together. They worked their way up the ranks alongside each other and finally were put together on the operation that sent them all into hiding.

"I just want her to be happy. I haven't seen her legitimately smile since we were kids." Being almost thirty, that said a lot.

"So she hasn't always been like this?" Hankyung jerked a thumb over his shoulder towards the bedroom door with a smile and a chuckle. Leeteuk let out a single weak laugh and shook his head.

"No. We grew up in a small village along the coast; it was me, her, Jaejong, and Yunho. We were the terror of the town, or so all the adults called us. Heechul and Jae were always playing pranks on their unsuspecting victims. Heechul was always writing something. Jae had her convinced that she was meant to be a writer. We all were sure of it. But her parents found out what she was doing and refused to let her even look at a bookshop. They wanted her to take over the family business: one of the restaurants in the area. Well of course, that was the last thing she wanted so she ran away and ended up at Jae's where she hasr stayed since. She was 18 at the time. That was the last time a genuine smile came out of her. We joined the military soon after and worked our way up in the ranks. You know the rest of the story." It was not something either of them wanted to relive. "Granted, she was always the troublemaker but she was also always smiling. That's something I would give anything to see again."

After a long silence, Hankyung was the one to speak.

"So what are we going to do about these letters?" Leeteuk heaved a sigh for the umpteenth time that day.

"We'll gather everybody in the morning and figure out what to do from there. I'm a leader, not a dictator. I want everyone's opinion on what to do next."

Hankyung nodded his assent and went to put their coffee cups into the sink to be washed later, offering to provide the restaurant as their meeting palce.

Heechul sat against the other side of the door, listening to the conversation. A single tear fell from her eye as a genuine smile slowly made its way across her face.