During a Thunderstorm

The Lost Ballad (saga of Fate's Sweet Melodies)

 

Ji Yong came back home. He was going to stay with Lia and the kids. Of course Eunhye and Kwan Yong were still confused why their dad still can’t remember them so TOP decided it was better if the triplets stayed with their grandparents for the time being.

Before they left, Tae Yang had another talk with Seunghyun, explaining to him the reason why and to watch over the younger ones. The little boy solemnly promised that he would and left without saying much even though it was clear he didn’t want to leave his mother alone with someone who doesn’t remember her at all. However reluctant he was to leave, he left without putting up a fight.

Kwan Yong and Eunhye were clueless to the real reason but were ecstatic to be living with their grandparents. The idea of them living with them was like heaven to them even if it was only temporarily. The triplets love their grandparents.

Ji Yong and Lia felt really awkward, being the only ones at home. Ji Yong was told to rest and Lia decided to take some time off from work to take care of Ji Yong. Of course there was no way that she could skip her classes but she would come right home afterward.

The other members of Big Bang tried not to leave them alone as much as possible because they knew it was awkward and that Lia was still pretty upset about it. But they had their own schedules so sometimes they really have to leave them alone.

Lia hated it when they weren’t around to try easing the awkwardness but she knew how busy they are so she just took care of Ji Yong without complaining.

 

One day Lia came home from classes to find him sitting on the living room. King came to greet her.

He looked up. “Hi,” he greeted awkwardly. “Er, welcome back from university. Did you have a nice day?”

“Thanks. Yeah, I did.” She dumped her bag down on the floor and came to him. She sat down a few inches away. “What are you doing here?” she asked.

He gestured to the photo albums that were opened. She glanced at the album and her heart ached when she saw pictures of the two of them together happily smiling at the camera and pictures of the entire Big Bang and Lia and the kids. They brought back a lot of memories to her and her heart was hurting because he didn’t remember them.

Or did he?

“I’m sorry, but they’re not coming back to me,” he said softly.

“It’s okay.”

He ruffled King on the head as the big dog came toward him. Then he scratched his neck and looked at her. “So, uh, Lia, how do you feel about everything?”

She looked at him weirdly. Why is he asking me this question?, she thought. But to him, she just shrugged. “I’m just patiently waiting,” she replied.

He nodded, unsure of what to say next so he just stayed quiet. So Lia stood up. “I’m going back to the room to bathe and such,” she said. “I’ll come back out to make dinner.”

“Okay.”

She hurried to her room so he wouldn’t see the tears that were bursting to come out. When she closed the door behind her, she broke out into sobs and cried.

It’s been a month and he still doesn’t even remember anything at all. Nothing, not even the memories of his life in Big Bang. Will Ji Yong ever remember her?

Sighing, she wiped her tears furiously away before heading to the bathroom. She let out a deep breath as the cold water hit her from the showerhead.

She didn’t know how long she had been in the bathroom but when she came out, she saw that her fingers were wrinkling like old people. She hoped Ji Yong hadn’t been waiting for her that long. She quickly dried herself and quickly changed into clothes.

The moment she stepped out of the room, she was greeted by a strong aroma of good food smell from the kitchen and saw that the man who was her husband cooking something by the stove.

“Sorry,” she said sheepishly. “I didn’t think it’ll take me that long to bathe.”

He glanced back and smiled. “It’s okay,” he replied. “I didn’t mind. Besides, I want to cook something for you in repayment for taking care of me so well.”

She blushed. “I don’t mind,” she replied. “I mean, I want to.”

They ate dinner in silence. The only sounds that could be heard were the clattering of plate and the munching from their mouths.

After they were done, Lia cleaned up while Ji Yong went back to the albums. As he flipped through the pages of the album, all he could hear was the soft and gently clanging of glass as Lia washed up the plates. He looked up at her and saw the way she moved around in the kitchen.

She was so graceful.

He watched as she opened the fridge to put the leftovers inside. The left side of her face showed and his heart ached when he saw the sad look on those beautiful eyes.

He turned back to see a picture of the two of them on what seemed to be their wedding day. Lia looked so happy and so did he.

He sighed, leaning back on the couch and placing his hands behind his head. Why can’t he remember? At least let him remember his wife. Why does it have to be blank?

KA-BOOM!

“Aaaahhhh!”

Ji Yong looked up to the sounds of her screams but he couldn’t see Lia anywhere at the kitchen. “Lia? Are you okay in there?” he asked her hesitantly. He stood up and walked toward the kitchen just as another thunder sounded.

There was a soft whimpered from the wall in the kitchen.

He found her crouched down with her knees to her chest and head buried in between. A soft whimper escaped from her again as the clashing sound of thunder struck again.

“Are you okay?”

She shook her head.

“Woof! Woof!” King barked from the room. He had accidentally closed the door and was stuck inside. He scratched on the door.

Ji Yong stood there, staring at Lia and he was hesitating and wondering what he should do when suddenly the front door opened and Yoseob came in the apartment, wearing a raincoat, his hair dripping wet from the rain. Dangling from his hands was the spare key he was given a long time ago.

He took the raincoat off and dumped them of the floor outside. He looked at Ji Yong, saw where he was at and hurried to him. He turned and saw Lia on the floor. He hurried to her side. She whimpered again. He scooped her up and carried her into her room where King was whining.

Ji Yong felt completely useless.

He was about to go in to make sure she was all right when Mir burst through the front door, gasping and panting. “Where’s Lia?” he asked him.

He pointed to the room.

He nodded and ran inside the room. Right after he disappeared inside, Jonghyun entered the apartment. “Lia’s in her room?” Without waiting for an answer, he went inside.

Ji Yong was left puzzled. He was just about to go inside as well but then Jonghyun and Yoseob came out.

“What happened? How is she?” Ji Yong asked them.

They exchanged glances. “Lia never told you about it?”

“Told me what?” he asked, baffled.

“She’s afraid of thunderstorms,” Yoseob explained. “Bad memories. Hates them.”

“She would get scared and totally forgets everything,” Jonghyun went on. “She would totally blank out.”

“You saw how she was crouched down in the kitchen,” Yoseob continued. “She would have stayed there until the thunderstorm is over if I didn’t come.”

Now he felt completely useless. He was the husband and yet he didn’t do anything but just stand there as his wife — who he cannot even remember — freaked out and cried.

“Mir’s with her now?” he said.

They nodded and looked at each other again before turning back to him. “Last time, it wasn’t a problem because she had you to help her get through it,” Yoseob said.

“And when you were in a coma,” Jonghyun spoke up, “the three of us — Mir, Yoseob and me — would stay overnight with her to keep her company.”

“Hope you didn’t mind us sleeping with your wife,” Yoseob quickly went on. “I mean, we didn’t do anything. We just took care of her. Even though you don’t remember, you know that she’s your wife so the fact that she slept with other men might . . . you know. But we’re sorry and we didn’t do anything to her!” he babbled.

He shook his head. “Anniyo . . . I’m  . . .” He tried to find the right words. “I guess that I’m grateful,” he replied. Yeah, that’s it. “I really am. I may not remember her but the fact that she at least had friends to help her when I was in a coma and friends now to help her — that’s really comforting. It shows that people really love her and I’m glad that she was never alone in this.”

Jonghyun shrugged. “Yeah . . . well . . . if you don’t mind, we’ll be staying here with her for the night,” he said.

Ji Yong frowned. “Wae?” he asked. “Now that I know, I can just check up on her and such.”

But Jonghyun shook his head. “Well, no offense but Lia won’t be able to sleep through the night during thunderstorms so we’re all going to sleep with her tonight.”

“Oh . . . uh, okay . . .”

“Good.” Yoseob nodded before going back in Lia’s room. Jonghyun walked to the kitchen to look for something to eat.

“Why is she so afraid of thunderstorms?” Ji Yong asked.

Jonghyun looked up, blinking in surprise as though he didn’t expect Ji Yong to be out there with him. He hesitated. “Uh . . .”

“Please, I need to know.”

He sighed. “Well, you know that she is TOP hyung’s little sister, right?”

He nodded. “Yeah, I know. He told me on the day I woke up.”

“Okay. Then, well . . . you see, Lia would have been Jun Mei,” Jonghyun said. “I mean, she is Jun Mei, but people would call her Jun Mei more than Lia.”

Ji Yong frowned. “Huh?”

“When Lia was quite young, her family went to the beach in Australia. The currents were quite rough so she got lost in the oceans and it was during a thunderstorm,” Jonghyun explained. “I don’t really know the details of how she found her brother again. You’ll have to ask her or hyung about it. But, so every time she hears thunder, she gets scared.”

He went inside the room to see Lia still in a tight ball on the bed and crying with Mir’s arms wrapped around her. Yoseob was holding her hand with a worried look on his face.

“I miss him,” Ji Yong heard her sniffling to Mir. “I wish he would remember.”

“I know,” Mir murmured, kissing her on the forehead. “I know.”

Ji Yong left the room.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Omo, it's been so long since I updated! I'm so sorry! Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! (: