Bad Timing

The Lost Ballad (saga of Fate's Sweet Melodies)

The moment Ji Yong opened the door to leave, Mir was just about to ring the bell. Both men were surprised to see each other.

“What are you doing?” they both asked at the same time.

“Going to see Lia,” Ji Yong replied just as Mir answered, “Coming to see you.”

“Why do you want to see Lia?” Mir wanted to know just as Ji Yong asked, “Why do you want to see me?”

Mir held up his hands. “Okay, enough.” He peered in. “Can I come in?”

Ji Yong hesitated. Any more time lost he can never get back. And he really wanted to go to Lia, especially since it was about an hour’s drive to her parents’ house. But Mir looked like he had something important to ask.

He nodded, stepping aside to let him come in. He led him into the living room and they sat down on the sofa. “So, what did you want to ask?”

“Wait, first, why did you say you wanted to see Lia?” he asked.

Ji Yong smiled. “Well, because I want to see my wife,” he replied.

Mir was taken aback. “You remembered?” he asked incredulously.

He nodded happily. “I remembered Lia and everything. I got my memory back. It’s still a bit fuzzy here and there but the main thing is that I remembered Lia, my wife.”

Mir was about to say something when he got a text message. As he replied to whoever had texted him, Ji Yong was feeling giddy and started fidgeting. He really didn’t want to be with Mir. He needed to go to Lia. He felt like he should before it’s too late or something. He needed to get on the road.

Right now.

Mir turned back to him. “So let me get this straight,” he said slowly. “You said that you remembered everything? Like when you were born until now?”

“Yes.” Ji Yong frowned.

Mir had to make sure. “Everything?”

“Yes!” Now Ji Yong was getting impatient. He needed to go to his wife now and Mir was obviously wasting his precious time.

“Okay, then what’s Lia’s full name?” Mir challenged him.

“Choi Jun Mei,” Ji Yong answered without hesitation. “But when she was living with her adoptive parents, her full name was Ophelia Douglas.”

Impressive.

“Favorite color? Worst fear?” Mir went on.

“She loves the color purple even though she looks really good in black,” Ji Yong replied. “And she’s afraid of thunder.”

“Mmm.”

Ji Yong felt like he was being inspected. “Do you want me to tell you the whole story of how we met until how we got married? Not to mention the parts where we broke up and she got together with Seung Ri and during the time when everyone thought Seung Ri is the father of the triplets?” he snapped.

Mir held his hands up in surrender. “Okay, okay, no need to get all snappy with me,” he snapped back. “I’m just trying to make sure. I don’t want to see Lia all hurt and broken again like . . . well, you know.”

He did know. “Can I go now?” he asked.

“Is there anymore?”

Ji Yong lost it. “Do you want me to tell you in details of how ing y and hot and good Lia is in bed?” he yelled. “And how it totally turns me on whenever she moans my name during ?”

Okay, that was a bit too much information. His face went red with embarrassment. “Ah, a – anniyo,” he stuttered. He had never seen Ji Yong so angry like this before. It looks like Ji Yong really remembered his wife and his kids and, well, basically everything. “So . . . you’re going to talk to Lia?”

He stood up. “Right now,” he replied and started to head for the door.

“Hyung, wait —!” Mir called out but he was already gone, out of the door.

 

Lia smelled the cool, fresh air. She inhaled deeply and exhaled slowly, her eyes closed. Her legs were crossed and she was sitting up on her bed. The kids were outside eating their breakfast.

She loves to meditate in the morning before she eats breakfast.

Breathe in . . . breathe out . . . breathe in . . . breathe out . . . breathe in . . .

Her door barged open and TOP burst in. “Mei, get up,” he said.

“Good morning, Oppa,” she said, her eyes still closed.

Breathe in . . . breathe out . . .

“Stop meditating and get up and ready to go,” her brother scolded her, “or you’re going to be late.”

Sighing, she reluctantly got out of her bed and headed straight for the shower.

After she bathed, she got dressed in a blue silk dress and a black jacket. She slipped on black flats. She made her bed and then she opened the window to let the fresh air in.

It’s sure sunny in Seoul now, she thought with a frown.

Shrugging, she headed out and down the stairs to the kitchen. Hmm, maybe she’ll have an apple for breakfast. She checked the time.

It’s almost time.

 

Ji Yong smiled as he drove to see his wife and kids. He could hardly wait to see the look on Lia’s face when she hears that he regained his memory. She would be so happy and she’ll go to him and kiss him.

Maybe they can even spend some time in a room alone to celebrate while they were at it. No one except Mir knew he got his memory back and he hoped Mir doesn’t go telling. He wanted Lia to be surprised.

Speaking of Mir, he had realized that Mir never got a chance to really tell him what he wanted to tell him. All they talked about was him regaining his memory but Mir never said anything about the real reason why he wanted to see him.

Oh wells.

He made a mental note to ask Mir about it later once he and Lia go back home with their kids to continue living their life like it was before the accident.

Whatever Mir had to say can wait for a few more days, right? After all, nothing is as important as Lia right now.

As he drove, he kept smiling as more of his memories came back, everything becoming clearer in his mind, all the questions he asked finally answered.

And Lia’s face was the clearest of all.

His memory is back.

He smiled even wider when he saw three familiar kids playing on the front lawn of his parents-in-law’s house. They looked up when they saw a car approaching.

The moment he got out of the car, his kids all ran to him with big smiles on their faces as they recognized the driver as their father.

“Appa!” Kwan Yong and Eunhye squealed, running toward him with their arms wide open to hug their father. They haven’t seen him in so long. They missed him.

Ji Yong bent down and welcomed them into his warm hug. They giggled as he nuzzled them lovingly.

He was happy to be reunited with his kids again. It felt so good.

He looked up and saw Seunghyun standing at one side, far from him, regarding him. “Hey, aren’t you even going to greet your father?” he asked his oldest son.

“Do you even know that?”

That stung. Seunghyun was really smart for his age. He smiled softly, not blaming him. “I remember,” he replied gently. “I remember who you are, buddy.”

Seunghyun beamed, finally believing that he really remembered, and ran to his father to hug him too. “Appa! Bogoshipo!”

“Where’s your mom?” he asked the triplets. “I want to tell her that I remember her. I want to see your mom.”

“Oh,” Eunhye said, tilting her head in a cute way with her eyes big and round. “Umma went out with Samchon.” She meant that Lia had gone out with TOP.

“When will she be back?”

They shrugged.

Suddenly the door opened and an elder woman stepped out of the house to the front porch. She squinted her eyes at the men that the triplets were talking to.  “Ji Yong? Is that you?” she asked in disbelief.

Ji Yong looked up to see his mother-in-law and smiled, bowing. “Annyeong, jangmonim,” he greeted.

“Halmeoni!” the kids cried, running to her. “Appa is back! Appa is back! Umma is going to be so happy!”

“Come in,” Mrs. Choi said to Ji Yong and all of them went inside the house and the kids were all screaming and running around, all very happy that their father was here. “Jangin eoreun went out so it’s just the kids and I,” she explained as he looked around for his father-in-law.

“Oh, I see.”

“So, what brings you here?” she asked him curiously.

Ji Yong smiled. “Jangmonim, I remember,” he said. “I remember everything. I remember your daughter, I remember my kids, and I even remember being in love with her.”

Mrs. Choi looked surprised. “Oh? You do? That’s good news!” She beamed at him. But then she frowned. “Wow, what a timing,” she murmured to herself so low that Ji Yong could not quite catch it.

Eunhye tugged on her grandmother’s shirt and she bent down to listen to the little girl. “I want to draw,” she announced.

Mrs. Choi chuckled. “Of course, jagiya.”

“Me too!” Kwan Yong and Seunghyun both exclaimed, jumping up and down.

Ji Yong smiled. Some things never seemed to change. His kids were still the same.

But Eunhye shook her head and grasped onto Ji Yong’s hand. “I want to draw with Appa,” she said. She dragged her father away to the playroom. “Let’s go play! I want to play! I want to draw! Yay!”

Seunghyun and Kwan Yong followed them from behind.

Ji Yong laughed, turning over his shoulder to Mrs. Choi. “I guess I’ll draw and spend time with my kids while waiting for Lia to return,” he told her.

He went inside and began to play with his kids. They were filled with so much energy and he was getting a bit tired but he didn’t say anything because he wanted to make up for the lost time.

Finally, around noon, Eunhye proclaimed she was hungry and they all set out for lunch where Mrs. Choi had finished preparing lunch for them.

“So, jangmonim, where did TOP hyung and Lia go and around what time will they be back from wherever they are?” Ji Yong asked the same time the front door opened and TOP strolled in.

“Annyeong,” he said cheerily until he saw Ji Yong. “What are you doing here?”

“Hyung, I remember!” he said, smiling up. But then he frowned. “Where’s Lia? Wasn’t she with you?”

TOP glanced at his mother who shook her head. He turned back to Ji Yong who suddenly had a very bad feeling about this. “Mei . . .” he began, hesitating for a bit. “Mei decided to go to university in Kingsridge, Ji. She’s not going to come back for another three years.”