Period

The Lost Ballad (saga of Fate's Sweet Melodies)

 

Are you okay?” Jonghyun asked Lia as he entered her room. He looked around. “Where is Ji Yong hyung?” He was too busy making a snack he didn’t see Ji Yong coming out of her room and going into his guest room.

“He didn’t come in,” Mir said, frowning.

“He came in just now,” Jonghyun insisted. “I saw him come in.”

“Well, he must have then left afterward,” Yoseob replied. “I wonder why he left without saying anything.”

Lia sighed. “He doesn’t care,” she muttered under her breath.

“I don’t think so,” Yoseob rebutted. “If he didn’t care, he wouldn’t have asked me and hyung” — he gestured to Jonghyun — “why you were so scared.”

“Maybe he just didn’t know what to say,” Mir suggested.

“Or maybe he saw that Mir and I were in here, taking care of you so he — nah, forget it,” Yoseob said.

She just sighed again. “I miss him.”

Mir kissed her forehead. “We know,” he said softly, his voice pained. “We know, jagi.”

She buried her face in his chest.

The boys gave each other a helpless look and lapsed into a conversation, hoping that it would distract her.

But Lia wasn’t paying attention. She was lost in her own train of thoughts. She began having flashbacks. Most of them weren’t exactly pleasant to remember now with Ji Yong’s condition because even though the memory was technically a pleasant one, it made her depressed and no matter how hard she tries to block them away from her mind now, she could never block them from her mind completely. Some things like this won’t be lost from memory forever. It was a big part of her past, and she couldn’t forget it, even if she tried, even if she wanted to.

She just can’t erase them.

How easy it came to Ji Yong, who doesn’t even remember a thing.

Everything was always erased for him.

 

Over the next few days it had been raining cats and dogs. Ji Yong would try his best to help Lia with her fears but at night the other boys would come back and take care of her. Ji Yong felt completely useless.

Lia was hurt that he still doesn’t remember after so long until she’s lost count but she really doesn’t blame him for feeling awkward whenever he tried to help her.

One day, she woke up with a bad feeling. When she went in the toilet, she realized why: she has her period.

Great.

This wasn’t good.

She quickly washed up and put on a pad. She came out of the bathroom and decided to clean. She looked outside the window and saw the dark clouds. It was going to rain.

She hurried to the balcony and brought back all the dry clothes. She passed by Ji Yong, who came out of his room, on the way to the laundry room.

He laughed when he saw a pair of legs with big pile of clothes for a body wobbling around. “Here, let me help,” he offered. He held out his arm and took the clothes from her. She looked so cute, trying to balance the clothes.

“Thanks,” she said gratefully, rushing back out to bring the other clothes while Ji Yong just dumped the clothes in the laundry room before going out to help Lia bring in the rest.

Once they were done, Lia dumped all the clothes on the floor and began folding. Ji Yong sat down to help.

“Eh, you don’t have to help,” she said. “I can do it.”

He looked at her. “Do I not normally help you fold the clothes?” he wanted to know.

She bit her lips. “Well, you usually kept the kids busy so that they’ll leave me in peace to fold the clothes,” she replied slowly.

He looked around. “Do you miss the kids?” he asked, taking note of the very quiet house. He was sure it would be louder with the kids. “It’s been quite some time since they’ve been gone. They’re at yourparents’ house. Don’t you think it’s time for them to come back?”

Lia was surprised that he was saying this. The whole reason why the kids were at their grandparents’ house was so it wouldn’t make things awkward.

“And I could try get to know them again,” he went on.

She hesitated, pausing in her folding. “I can call to bring them back, I guess,” she replied. “That is, if you don’t mind.”

“I don’t. I mean, they’re still my kids even if I don’t remember them.”

Does this mean I’m still your wife even though you don’t remember me?, Lia wondered but she didn’t say it aloud.

Suddenly Ji Yong got up and turned the air-conditioner on. Lia was directly under so the gust of wind blasted on her. She shuddered but Ji Yong didn’t notice.

As they folded the clothes in silence, each lost in their own thoughts, the only sounds that could be heard was the rain pouring down on the whole of the city, pattering roughly on the window pane. Since it was raining, the room was even colder.

Ji Yong looked at the girl who was known as his wife. He was getting really frustrated. Why can’t he remember her? He was starting to remember bits about Big Bang but when it came to Lia, nothing comes up. It was all just a big white blank. Everyone said that she was a big part of him — she was the best thing that has ever happened to him.

So why can’t he remember that?

“What are you thinking?” he asked.

She looked up, blinking. She blushed and looked away. “Oh, erm . . .”

“You were playing a memory of you and me, weren’t you?” he guessed.

She nodded once.

“Tell me about it.”

She smiled sadly, with that faraway look in her eyes, and shrugged. “It was a just a few days before the accident. We were sitting out at the rooftop, our favorite place to be with each other,” she answered him as she replayed the memory again.

 

“I don’t get it.” She frowned.

“What don’t you get?”

“Well, there are other girls out there who are way prettier than me.” When he opened his mouth to protest, Lia quickly placed her hand on his mouth and continued, “And I’m pretty sure that most of them are probably better than I am too.”

“I’ll tell you why,” he said before she could even ask her question because he already knew what her question is going to be. “It’s because I love you. I don’t need another girl when I have you. Your love is enough for me. It’s more than enough. Lia, I love you. Okay? I know having an idol as a husband is hard. I know you get worried whenever I go on tour. But honestly? Every time I look at a girl, every time I talk to a fan, I start comparing her to you and I always think that she cannot be compared to you. No girl has met your standard. You’re the only one for me, babe.” He kissed her again.

“Do you promise?” she murmured. “Am I really the one for you?”

“One hundred percent,” he replied firmly. “Even if I lose my memory, I’ll still be in love with you. I fall in love with you every single time I look at you and I’m falling in love with you again now.”

Lia smiled, butterflies in her stomach. He would never know how happy he made her when he said those words. She kissed him and hugged him. “I love you.”

“I love you, Lia. I always will.”

 

As Ji Yong listened, he tried to at least see if he recognized the memory but as usual, it came up blank.

“Even if I lose my memory, I’ll still be in love with you. I fall in love with you every single time I look at you and I’m falling in love with you again now.”

Did he really say that?

Ji Yong doesn’t love her. He sensed that he should but how can he love someone he doesn’t know?

Thunder struck.

He looked at Lia and saw that she was now curled up in a ball with her knees to her chest and her arms around her legs in the midst of folded clothes. He quickly moved until he was beside her and put his strong arms awkwardly around her.

She buried her face in his chest and he just her hair. “I’m sorry,” she whispered.

He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. “Why are you saying sorry for?”

“That I make you uncomfortable.”

He looked down at her. “Hey, it’s okay,” he said. And he really meant it. It was awkward but somehow it didn’t feel uncomfortable.

She untangled herself from his arms and stood up. “We should put the clothes back,” she said. She divided the clothes into Ji Yong’s clothes and her clothes. Ji Yong scooped his clothes up and carried them back to his room and Lia did the same with her clothes.

When Ji Yong was done, he came back out. Lia’s room door was ajar. From where he was standing, he could see that Lia was crouched down, groaning, clutching her stomach.

Something was wrong.

He hurried to her. “Lia, are you okay?” he asked frantically.

“Stomach cramps,” she muttered.

“Is there anything I can do?”

“Too cold,” she muttered and he felt that she had Goosebumps. The air-conditioner and the rain were not helping. “I need something hot. Hot.”

Ji Yong didn’t know what to do. This was new to him.

“Upstairs,” Lia murmured, knowing that Ji Yong was panicking inside. “At the boys’ dorm there’s a packet of 3-in-1 Milo. Tell the boys to make a cup of Milo for me.”

He nodded. “I’ll be back soon,” he said and rushed out of the apartment, dashing up the stairs two-by-two to the boys’ dorm.

He knocked fervently on the door until Dae Sung opened. “Hyung, what’s the —”

“Lia’s having stomach cramps,” he blurted out. “She said for you to —“

Before he could even finish his sentence, the maknae had already stood up and hurried to the kitchen to make a cup of Milo for Lia.

“Lia’s on her period,” Dae Sung explained to Ji Yong. “Normally on the first two days, it’s best if she stayed away from the colds because her stomach cramps would hurt a lot like hell. She needs a lot of hot water to help her. It’s even worse if it’s raining like now.”

Now it makes sense.

Seung Ri took the cup. Ji Yong held his hand out to take it but he shook his head. “Er, no offense, but I think I should go,” he said. “I know what to do.”

He said it kindly but the message was clear to Ji Yong: you stupid person. Don’t even know how to take care of your wife even if you cannot remember her.

Seung Ri walked out of the apartment and hurried to Lia

Once again, Ji Yong felt really helpless.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm so sorry for leaving this fic hanging. I've been having serious writer's block D: Hope you enjoyed this chapter!