Chapter 7

First Date

 

Tough Guys...Again?!

GuiGui mopped the counter half-heartedly with a wet cloth. She glanced through the open window into the kitchen. No one there. Ernie, the tattoed fry cook, must have stepped out back for a smoke.

I hate working here without Dad around, GuiGui thought. Come to think of it, I hated working here when he was around. She sighed. At least the job paid her enough for some new clothes and an occasional CD.

After four days Mr. Wu was still in the intensive care of Taipei General Hospital, but the doctors were encouraged by his progress. GuiGui glanced up at the clock. Twenty to seven, nearly closing time. If she hurried, she'd be able to see her dad at the hospital before the visiting hours ended at seven-thirty.

She let her eyes roam slowly over the empty coffee shop. It was kind of scary being alone in there. What if those three creeps came back?

"Hey--- Ernie?" she called, suddenly frightened. Ernie was big and very tough looking. He'd protect her if there was any trouble. But where was he?

"Ernie?"

No reply. He must still be back in the alley, she realized.

The big refrigerator clicked on loudly, startled her. She decided to think about Wang Zi, the new guy at school to help pass the time.

So far, neither she or Wang Zi, had managed to get a real conversation going. GuiGui had rehearsed and rehearsed what she was going to say to him. She had imagined countless conversations, playing both parts in her mind.

In her mind their conversations were easy and fun. They kidded each other and laughed at each other's jokes.

But when she was actually sitting beside him in the homeroom in the morning, she panicked. Or Mr. Tang had a full page of announcements to read. Or Wang Zi was busily writing in a notebook. Or it just didn't seem to be the right time.

He had smiled at her several times, and even said good morning twice and asked how she was doing. But then he returned to his notebook or a book he was reading.

He's never going to ask me out, GuiGui thought frustratedly.

Despite this slow start to their relationship, she found herself thinking about him a lot. Even while practicing the saxophone, she sometimes pictured his shy smile, his dark, soulful eyes.

She was imagining a conversation with him when the door swung open and two tough teenagers came in, their eyes nervously surveying the empty restaurant.

One of them was big and wide, with shaved head. The other was lean with an unpleasant grin on his face. Both were wearing faded jeans and despite the autumn cold only t-shirts with the name of heavy metal group printed in the front.

Gripped with sudden fear, GuiGui stepped back from the counter, edging her way to the kitchen. "Ernie?" she called in a frightened whisper.

No reply.

I can't believe we're being robbed again, she thought, her back against the wall, her eyes searching the two guys, trying to determine of they were carrying weapons.

The cash register contained less than fifty dollars, she knew. They're not going to hurt me for that amount of money, are they?

She decided she'd give them the money, hand it over without a protest.

Once again she pictured her father arguing with the three tough guys just day before, trying to fend them off trying to block their way to the cash register.

If he hadn't resisted, if he hadn't tried to fight them, if he hadn't tried to block their wayto the cash register, they probably wouldn't have hit him, GuiGui told herself.

I'm not going to be brave, GuiGui decided. I'm going to be as cooperative as I can.

Having made certain that the coffee shop was deserted, the two young men stepped up to the cash register. "You all alone here?" the lean one asked GuiGui.

"No" GuiGui said, trying to keep her voice steady. "I'm not alone."

The two creeps exchanged glances and laughed.

"Were just about to close up now," GuiGui said, her voice was trembling despite her determination not to sound frightened. she raised her eyes to the clock. Ten to seven.

"Just about?" the skinny one asked.

They laughed again.

"What can I get you?" GuiGui asked.

"You're kind of cute in a way," the big one said, scratching his head. His partner's grin grew wider.

"Really. We're closing now," GuiGui said feeling tighten. felt dry.

"Yeah. You're the cutest thing in here," the big one said, resting his hands on the counter just a few inches to the cash register. He stared into her eyes, waiting for her to react.

"What do you want?" GuiGui asked, more of a plea than a question.

"Well..." the big one started. Then he and his partner exchanged glances and giggled again.

GuiGui's heart thudded in her chest. If they're going to rob me, why don't they just do it and get it over with? she thought impatiently.

"Well, what do we want?" the big one asked, smirking at GuiGui.

"Good question," his partner added.

"What time did you say you get off work?" the big one asked, leaning over the counter, his face close to GuiGui's.

Her terror choked her.

What are they going to do?

Aren't they going to rob the store and leave?

Why are they asking me this questions? Why are they grinning at me like that?

"when do you get off?" the big one repeated.

GuiGui stared up at the clock. She opened to say something, to tell them to leave, to get out, to stop frightening her.

Before she could utter a word, the door swung open and another boy stepped into the restaurant.

He walked quickly up the narrow aisle beside the counter his hands on his sides. It took GuiGui a minute to recognized him. She had seen him only once before.

"YaLun!" she cried.

Then she hesitated.

Is YaLun with them? she wondered.

No.

The two toughs reacted with surprise as YaLun made his way into the restaurant. He stopped at the end of the counter and stared back at them, his powerful-looking arms tensed, his hands at his sides, his dark eyes staring from one to the other.

"You still open?" YaLun asked GuiGui.

"Just closing," GuiGui replied softly. She didn't move.

"Can I get a cup of coffee?" YaLun asked, staring at the two toughs.

"Okay," GuiGui said. She stepped towards the coffee machine.

"Later," th big guy said. He and his partner exchanged glances. GuiGui noticed that the smile had finally faded from the lean one's face.

"Yeah. Later," the lean one said, trying to make the words sound scary.

They turned and slowly past YaLun and out the restaurant.

GuiGui didn't move until the door had closed behind them. She made a loud sigh of relief and collapsed against the counter as she watched them walk away.

"Were they holding you up?" YaLun asked. He had taken a seat on the counter stoll at the far end.

"Yes. I mean, I don't know. I'm not sure," GuiGui said shakily. Holding the coffee pot over the white china cup, she struggled to keep her hand steady as the coffee splashed into the cup.

When she set the cup down in front of him on the counter, she noticed him studying her with his dark eyes his expression serious and thoughtful.

She slid a pitcher of milk towards him. "They were acting real toug. I don't know what they were going to do. Rob me, I guess."

She pulled off the apron and bundled it up. He took a sip of the coffee, black, his eyes still on her.

She tossed the apron into the corner. "They seemed to be afraid of you," she said, smiling uneasily.

"They should be," YaLun replied. He stared down at the coffee cup.

What does he mean by that? GuiGui wondered. Is he making a joke? Or is he serious?

His expression didn't reveal an answer.

He took another sip of coffee. "Dangerous around here," he said still avoiding her eyes.

What was he trying to say? Was he just making a comment? Or was he trying to warn her?

GuiGui heard scraping sounds from the kitchen. She turned to see Ernie, the fry cook, cleaning off the grill, a stub of cigarette stuck between his teeth. "Time to knock off?" he called out to her.

"Yeah. I'll close up." GuiGui told him.

YaLun took a long sip of coffee. GuiGui waited for him to say something, but he stayed silent.

She wanted to say something to him, to thank him for saving her from the two toughs, to keep the conversation going. But her shyness interfered. She couldn't think of anything to say.

Is he going to ask me out again? she wondered.

If he does, will I say yes?

She realized she was frightened of him and drawn to him at the same time.

Why can't I think of anything to say? Why can't I just say something? Why is it so easy for other girls, girls like Hebe, and so hard for me?

These questions flashed through her mind as she stared at him from behind the counter, her eyes studying his dark, serious face.

"Need a refill?" she asked, clearing first.

He shook his head. "No. Thanks."

Ernie came out of the kitchen. "See you tomorrow," he said giving her a little nod, then turning his eyes on YaLun.

"Okay. Bye," GuiGui said and watched Ernie go out the door.

I'm alone with YaLun now she realized.

The thought sent a small, cold shiver down her back.

YaLun took a final sip of the coffee, pushed the cup away and dropped a dollar onto the counter.

Is he going to say something? GuiGui wondered. Is he going to ask me out again?

I'll say yes, YaLun, she thought, trying to send brain waves from her mind to his. I'll say yes.

he pushed himself up. Standing, he flashed her a shy smile. "Thanks."

"Welcome," she said, reaching for the cup.

"See you," he said. His sneakers moved silently over the floor. He left without looking back. The door closed quietly behind him.

GuiGui's shoulders slumped forward. She sighed, disappointed, and dropped the coffee cup into the dirty dish tray.

Her mind spinned. She felt terribly mixed up. As she made one final inspection, turning out the lights as she went, she realized she was disappointed. And relieved.

A few minutes later she stepped outside into a cold clear night. She carefully locked the front door and pulled the metal grate across it, as she had seen her father do. Then she hurried to the hospital to see how he was doing.

A few blocks from the coffee shop, YaLun pulled open the door to his third-floor walkup apartment and stepped into the living room without turning on any lights. Closing the door left him in darkness.

Pacing the small, hot room, he slammed a fist repeatedly into his open palm. After a few minutes he uttered an angry cry, continuing to pace like an animal.

Why didn't I ask her out? he asked himself.

Why didn't I do it? I wanted to. I planned it.

Why did I just sit there like a jerk, sipping that bitter coffee?

We were all alone. All alone.

Why did I blow this opportunity?

What's wrong with me?

Furious at himself, he removed the phone off the table, pulled the cord out of the wall, and throw the phone with all his might against the window.

The glass shattered noisily. But he couldn't hear it over the angry roar in his brain.