Chapter 13

First Date

 

Save By The Doorbell

GuiGui jumped to her feet. Wang Zi let the cord drop to the couch.

"I'm so chilled," GuiGui said, wrapping her arms around herself. "How about some hot chocolate?"

She was surprised by the disappointed expression on Wang Zi's face. His cheeks were two bright red circles. "Huh?"

"Hot chocolate," GuiGui repeated. "I'm going in the kitchen to make some. Okay?"

Why did he seem so distracted? Was it just his shyness?

Was he as excited as she was? After all, he had admitted that this was his first date too.

"Yeah. Great," he said, his expression brightening. "I'll help."

"No need," GuiGui said, starting across the dark room toward the hallway. "But you can keep me company."

"Where's the bathroom?" he asked suddenly, standing up.

GuiGui pointed it out and hurried to the kitchen. She clicked on the light, filled the kettle, and the burner. She put two coffee mugs down the counter. Then she walked over to the cabinet, reached up and pulled open the door, and searched for the envelopes of powdered hot chocolate mix.

This date is going so well, she thought happily.

She glanced at the kitchen clock above the cabinet. Eleven-forty. She wished it weren't so late. She wanted the night to go on and on.

She was still searching the cabinet, when Wang Zi creep up behind her. He held the cord between his hands. Once it was in place around her neck, he would pull it tight, as tight as he could, and wait for her to suffocate.

It wouldn't take long.

It wouldn't really quite easy.

Of course, it would have been easier if she had let him push her over the cliff.

He had been ready to push her up on River Ridge. One shove. So quick, so clean.

But she had decided not to cooperate.

Some things are worth doing the hard way, he decided, slipping silently behind GuiGui.

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing right.

He raised the cord, staring at her black hair.

His hand didn't shake, not even a tiny tremble.

That's because it's not really my first date, he thought.

He raised the cord higher. Up, up.

He was close enough to smell her perfume, close enough to read the tag that was sticking up from the neck of her sweater.

He hated girls who didn't tuck their tags in.

His sister was a slob too.

Goodbye, GuiGui, he thought.

Good night.

He moved his arms forward, the cord in place.

The front doorbell rang.

"Oh!" GuiGui cried out.

He dropped his arms, struggled to change his expression, to make his face blank.

"wang Zi--- I didn't hear you come in here!" GuiGui exclaimed breathlessly. She dropped the two hot chocolate envelopes into his hand. "Here. Put these in the cups. I'll see who's at the door."

He watched her hurry out of the kitchen. Then, gritting his teeth angrily, he bent down and picked up the length of the cord from the floor.

So close.

So close.

He glanced at the clock. Who could be there so late? Who could be interrupting their first--- and last--- date? Her mother? No. Her mother wouldn't ring the bell. Besides GuiGui had said her mother was working all night.

Settin the hot chocolate packets down beside the two mugs, he crept to the doorway to listen, wrapping the cord carefully around his hand as he walked.

Wondering who it could be at this hour, GuiGui pulled open the front door. "Hebe!"

"Oh, GuiGui," Hebe wailed. "I just feel terrible coming here like this." Her eyes were red rimmed, her normally perfect straight black hair completely messed up.

"Hebe, what's wrong?" GuiGui cried, holding the door for her.

Hebe walked past her into the hallway. "It's Chun. We had a big fight. I think he's breakin up with me, GuiGui. I really think he means it this time."

"Come in," GuiGui said distractedly. She looked toward the kitchen to see if Wang Zi was coming out.

It's so like Hebe, GuiGui thought unhappily, to burst right in and not even ask if I have a date or if I'm busy or anything. She's obsessed with Chun, she can't think of anyone else.

Hebe caught her glance. "Oh, I'm sorry, GuiGui. Is someone here? You're not alone?" she followed GuiGui toward the kitchen.

"I have a date," GuiGui whispered, unable to keep a smile from bursting across her face.

" A date?" Hebe whispered back, stopping to examine herself in the hall mirror on the wall. "With a boy?"

GuiGui flashed her friend a dirty look.

"I'm sorry," Hebe said, raising her hands to her cheeks. I'm just so upset. I didn't know who to talk to. I've been crying and trying to drive and I thought---"

"Go sit down," GuiGui said, pointing to the living room. "I'll be right back. I want you to meet him."

Hebe hesitated, then obeyed her friend's request. GuiGui hurried to the kitchen.

"Wang Zi, I'm really sorry," she said, keeping her voice low so Hebe wouldn't hear. "I guess our secret date can't be a secret anymore. My friend Hebe is here and---"

GuiGui stopped short. dropped open.

To her astonishment, the kitchen door was wide open. And Wang Zi was gone.