Chapter 20

First Date

 

The Real Killer

Wang Zi is so sweet, GuiGui thought. He got so quiet when I told him about what happened tonight. He was really scared for me.

He really cares about me, she decided. Which led her to confess about what she'd told Hebe. And now, to her relief, he didn't seem to be angry at all.

His cheeks were bright red as always, but his eyes were warm, and he was holding her hand tightly.

"I'd like to meet your friend Hebe," he said softly. "It's hard to meet kids at Taipei, don't you think? It seems like everyone else has known each other since kindergarten. It's hard to break in."

"Yeah. I know the feeling," GuiGui agreed. "Hebe is the only friend I've made so far. The other girls all seem so snobby."

Wang Zi let go of her hand and leaned forward on the couch. "Do you want to ask Hebe over? I'd like to meet her."

GuiGui smiled at him. "Sure." What a great idea, she thought. A chance to show Wang Zi off to Hebe, to show Hebe that she wasn't the only girl who could attract a boy.

She climbed to her feet. "I'll call her from the kitchen--- it that's okay? Want a Coke or anything?"

"Yeah. Fine," he said, smiling back at her. "Tell her to hurry."

GuiGui made her way eagerly to the kitchen. She thought it a little strange that Wang Zi didn't want to be alone with her. But she was pleased that he was eager to meet her best friend. She had to admit that part of her loved the idea that for once she'd be the one with the boyfriend--- not Hebe!

Hebe picked up after one ring. "Listen, can you come over?" GuiGui asked breathlessly. "There's someone I'd like you to meet."

"Is it that boy from your homeroom?" Hebe asked.

"Yeah," GuiGui said. "He wants to meet you. And I've got an amazing story to tell you. You won't believe it. So will you come? Right now?"

"A hard invitation to turn down," Hebe said, chuckling. "You sure you're okay, GuiGui? You sound weird. You don't sound like yourself."

"I'm just excited," GuiGui told her. "Hurry. Okay?"

"Be right there," Hebe said and hung up.

GuiGui pulled a couple of cans of Coke from the refrigerator and started back to the living room when the phone rang. Setting the drinks down on the counter, she picked up the phone. "Hello?"

"Is this GuiGui Wu? This is FBI Agent Calvin Chen."

"Oh. Hi," GuiGui said. "I didn't expect to hear from---"

"Aaron Yan isn't the boy I'm looking for," Calvin interrupted, speaking rapidly in a low monotone.

"Huh?" GuiGui nearly dropped the receiver.

"Wrong kid," Calvin said flatly. "He's pretty close. He fits the description. But he isn't the right guy."

"Oh." GuiGui was speechless. Her breath caught in .

"This kid YaLun will be in the hospital for a while," Calvin continued. "The hand is pretty bad, and he seems to be in shock."

"I'm sorry," GuiGui said, her mind spinning.

She had pulled the phone cord into the hallway as far as it would go. Taking a glimpse into the living room, she saw Wang Zi pacing nervously, his dark eyes glowing excitedly, his brown straight hair gleaming under the ceiling fixture. A short length of cord pulled taut between his powerful-looking hands.

GuiGui stopped short.

And realized.

"Oh, my God!" she whispered into the phone.