Chapter 27

First Date

 

The Real Date (Final Chapter)

"I'm sorry," GuiGui said, sitting stiffly on the folding chair. She held her breath, trying to shut out the unpleasant odor of disinfectant.

"I'm sorry too," YaLun said. He was sitting up against the head of the bed, his entire arm wrapped in heavy gauze bandages.

They smiled at each other awkwardly.

"So I guess we're both sorry," YaLun said, chuckling.

A white-uniformed nurse entered briskly, checked the IV tube going into YaLun's arm, and left without saying a word.

"What's that for?" GuiGui asked, making a face.

"It's antibiotics I think," he told her. "The burn got infected. That's why they're keeping me here. The IV doesn't hurt. It looks weird, but I don't even feel it.

"That's good,"GuiGui said. She shifted her weight on the chair and turned her eyes to the window of the small room. "Listen, I really am sorry," she repeated, struggling to think of something to say.

Hospital visits were always so difficult. She'd been spending a lot of time, in Taipei General Hospital, visiting her dad. But she didn't seem to get any more comfortable during these visits.

"No, I'm sorry," YaLun insisted, scratching his dark hair with his good hand. "I'd had a few beers that night, and I never drink. Never. I don't know what made me do it. I guess I was just lonely."

He turned his eyes away, then continued, "I don't know what I thought I was doing there that night. I guess I was trying to be a big macho guy." He looked down at his bandaged hand. "I deserved what I got," he said softly. "I didn't mean to scare you like that--- that night or any of the other times."

"But I had no reason to think that you were some kind of psycho killer," GuiGui added. "I just feel so guilty."

"Well, I was never entirely honest with you," YaLun confessed, turning his eyes to hers. "I ran away from home. My parents don't even know where I am. I just couldn't take their fighting anymore. So I came here to try to get along on my own. I'm going to go back to school. At night. As soon as I get a job and everything. But I've been really scared. I've never been so alone before. I guess that's why I was acting so weird."

"I guess we've both been acting pretty weird," GuiGui said.

He pushed himself up straighter, moving the flat, white pillows behind him. "Hey," he said, suddenly brightening. "maybe we should meet sometime away from that coffee shop of yours."

GuiGui hesitated. "You mean--- a date?"

"Yeah." YaLun nodded. Then he added shyly, "If you think you want to."

GuiGui laughed out loud. "It's bound to be better than my first date!" she told him.

###########################################################

YaY! at the same time... T_T

Guys, this is it! The final chapter!

Hope you enjoy reading it.

Don't forget my new FF called "Any Guy You Want"

Ciao! Take care! Love Yah!

-afhilangie