Chapter 11

First Date

 

Into the Dark...

"Where are we going?" GuiGui asked.

"To the movies," Wang Zi replied quickly, his eyes straight ahead, both hands on the wheel.

"But the mall is that way," GuiGui told him, pointing.

"I know," he said softly. "The same film is playing at Wulang. I saw it in the paper."

GuiGui stared out the car window, hiding her disappointment. This was her first date, after all. She wanted to go to the sixplex at the mall where all the Taipei High kids hung out, where everyone would see her with Wang Zi.

Why was he taking her to the movies in the next town?

She stared out at the houses passing in the darkness. The radio was turned to an oldies station, and a Beach Boys song filled the car.

The rain had finally stopped that afternoon. It was clear, cool Saturday night; the grass and trees, even the street were sparkling from the recent rain.

Even in the dark everything seems much cleaner, much brighter, GuiGui thought. Was it because of the rain? Or because she was out on her first date?

Suddenly she realized why Wang Zi was taking her to Wulang.

It was their first secret date. He was keeping it their secret.

Their private, romantic secret.

She turned and smiled at him, watching his serious expression as he drove, feeling better, feeling nervous and happy at the same time.

"This is a great car," she said, running her hand on the seat. "How old is it?"

"I'm not sure," he replied. "Late seventies, I guess."

"Did your family buy it when it was new?" GuiGui asked.

"Yeah... uh-huh. It's the only car I've ever driven," he said.

"You'd better put on the defroster, don't you think?" GuiGui asked. "The windshield is getting all steamy."

He slowed to let a car pass, then reached his right hand to the dashboard trying to slide on the defroster. GuiGui laughed as he the air conditioner instead.

She stopped laughing when a disturbing thought flashed into her mind. If his family has had this car most of his life, why doesn't he know how to work the defroster?

"How come you can't work the defroster?" the question just slipped out of . "I mean, you said this was the only car you've ever driven."

In the light of the passing streetlights she could see his cheeks go red. He slowed the car a little, his eyes straight ahead on the road.

"I guess you found out my secret," he said queitly, seriously.

She felt a sudden stab of dread. "Your secret?"

"Yeah," he said, glancing at her for a split second. "I'm a complete klutz."

He laughed and slapped the wheel with his right hand. She laughed too, mostly from relief.

"I was hoping you wouldn't find out my deep, dark secret," he said. "At least not so early on our first date. But it's true. I'm a complete klutz. I can't even turn on a defroster."

"I'm a klutz too," GuiGui admitted. She told him about the time her saxophone case had come open just before a band concert at her old school, and her mouthpiece and another section fell off the stage, and she had to climb down and get them in front of the entire school.

"That's pretty klutzy," he said. "But at least you can work a defroster."

They told each other stories about their klutziness the rest of the way to the movie theater. It was the easiest, most relaxed conversation they'd had.

He has a great sense of humor, GuiGui thought. She wondered if he liked her.

He seemed to. He seemed looser, more relaxed than he ever had with her before.

"There's a parking place," he said and backed the car easily. He cut the engine and the lights, pocketed the car key, and pushed open the door.

As the ceiling light came on, GuiGui saw that Wang Zi had left his wallet on the seat. "Hey---" she called to him, picking up the wallet.

He grabbed it from her so quickly and with such force that he frightened her. "Sorry," he said, frowning down at her. "Didn't mean to startle you." He jammed the wallet into the back pocket of his jeans and slammed the door shut.

What was that all about? GuiGui wondered, pushing open her door and climbing out.

He didn't think I was going to take his wallet, did he? That's ridiculous.

She forgot the whole incident as Wang Zi, smiling warmly at her, put a hand on her shoulder and guided her toward the movie theater.

The movie was actually pretty funny. GuiGui usually didn't enjoy that kind of film, but sitting so close to Wang Zi, out on her first date, feeling happy, she found herself laughing a lot, and even sorry when the final car chase came to a crashing end and the lights came up.

The night was surprisingly warm as they made their way out of the theater.

"That was pretty dumb," Wang Zi said smiling, his hand resting gently on her shoulder as they walked to the car.

"Yeah, but it was funny," she replied.

"Hungry?" he asked.

She shrugged.

"Know what I'd like to do?" he stopped beside the car and stood close to her on the sidewalk, his dark eyes glowing excitedly in the light from a streetlight.

"What?"

"Drive around, then park somewhere and talk," he said, staring into her eyes.

"That sounds great," GuiGui said.

"Do you know a good place to go?" Wang Zi asked, glancing down the street.

"You mean you don't go parking with girls every week?" GuiGui teased.

He chuckled. "I'm new here, remember," he said. "Give me a break."

"Well, I'm new too," she said. But I guess we could go to River Ridge. That's a place on the cliffs above the river. Hebe said kids go up there a lot."

"Who's Hebe?" he asked, sounding suspicious.

"My friend," GuiGui told him. "She's just about the only friend I've made so far in Taipei," and then she shyly added, "except for you."

Instead of acting pleased, he frowned. "Did you tell Hebe about our date?"

"No, of course not," GuiGui said. She pulled open the passenger door. "It's our secret, remember?"

She smiled up at him and his expression relaxed. "Of course, I remember."

He walked around the front of the car, opened his door, and slid behind the wheel. A minute later they were driving back toward Taipei, silently, comfortably, the radio playing softly in the speakers.

"How do you get to River Ridge?" Wang Zi asked. Then he answered his own question. "I guess you take River Road."

"I guess," GuiGui replied. "Oh. I love this song." she sang along for a few seconds. "Do you always listen to an oldies station, Wang Zi?"

He didn't reply. He stared straight ahead through the windshield, but his thoughts seemed to be a million miles away.

"Wang Zi?" she touched his arm.

"Oh." he shook his head. "Sorry. I was thinking about something. This is a great song, isn't it?"

River Ridge may have been a popular parking spot for Taipei High kids during the summer, but on this October night, it was completely deserted.

Wang Zi pulled the car right up to the cliff edge and turn off the headlights. Below, the river flowed silently. Just across the river stretched the town of Taipei, mostly dark except for a few twinkling lights from houses and blinking traffic lights.

GuiGui could feel her heart racing. Her entire body was tingling. She felt so happy. She felt like singing, or maybe throwing open the door and flying out of the car, flying over the cliff, over the river, into the dark sky, over the twinkling town below.

Wang Zi dropped his hands from the wheel and turned to her, smiling. He slid one arm behind her on the back of her seat.

He's going to kiss me, she thought happily.

I'm up here on River Ridge, parked with a boy who likes me.

My first date, she thought, smiling back at Wang Zi, leaning toward him as he pulled her close. My first, secret date.

She her lips. They felt so dry. But before she could finish, his lips were pushing against hers.

The kiss was awkward and brief.

But he was smiling as he pulled his head back. "Nice night," he said.

GuiGui nodded. She wanted the kiss to last longer. She wanted him to kiss her again, to hold her.

She had fantasized about a night like this so many times.

She wanted it to be just like all her fantasies.

But Wang Zi removed his arm from behind her and replaced it on the wheel. "Feel like taking a walk?" he asked softly. "A short one. It's so pretty up here. I like looking at the town, don't you?"

He pushed open his car door without waiting for her reply.

GuiGui pushed her door open too. He's so romantic, she thought. He was always so shy in school. But up there, he seemed more confident, self-assured.

Maybe it's because he's starting to feel comfortable with me, GuiGui thought.

She forced herself to calm down. The light in the car went out as she closed the car door behind her. The night grew much darker.

"Wang Zi?" for a moment she couldn't find him. Then, as her eyes adjusted, she saw him standing at the cliff edge, his hands in his pocket, staring over at the town.

"Look," he said, turning back at her and motioning for her to come stand beside him. "It doesn't look real. It' like miniature town from up here."

She took a few steps but hesitated several feet behind him.

"Come on over," he called impatiently.

GuiGui took another step, then stopped. "I can't," she told him. "I'm afraid of heights."

For a second, disappointment crossed his face. It quickly disappeared when he hurried back to her and put his arm around her shoulders.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know," he apologized, guiding her away from the cliff toward the woods behind the road. "We'll walk this way," he said softly. "I like the woods at night too, don't you?"

"It's a little cold," she said with a shiver, her breath steaming in front of her. "But I like it," she added quickly. "It's so peaceful up here. I feel as if I'm million miles away from home."

Their sneakers scraped against the dirty path. As they made their way under the first trees, it became even darker.

Wang Zi slowed his pace, let GuiGui get a few steps ahead. Then he pulled the length of cord from his jacket pocket, silently untangled it, and pulled it between his hands with a quick snap.