Opposing Battle Team

Dare to Want, Dare to Reject

Bernard leads his Queen back to their room for the prep talk. She seems ready to lose her head at any moment now. Something needs to be done about it. "Ayeon... you shouldn't let this affect your game. It's rather childish, don't you think?" He attempts to refocus her to no avail.

"I hate her, Bernie. I ing hate her guts! She stole him from right under my nose. I had my eyes on him first! That old hag... vile, slithery snake woman! Damn her to hell!"

"Shh... aren't you a little embarrassed about... you know... lingering on him? You have me to back you. I'm your King."

"Oh, shut it, Bernie. Don't you dare shush me. You know I didn't choose you willingly. There was that damn time limit the sponsors gave me. Choose a King. Choose a King. Choose a King! They were anxious to join the running as soon as possible. You weren't even my second or third choice, Bernie. Hell, not even in my top five." Ayeon seems to have no problem ripping the young man's heart out. He is definitely bleeding inside. If not his heart... his pride as a King.

Bernard pulls Ayeon into a dark corner and pins her against the wall. "I can't let you give the prep talk when your mind is so clouded. You listen to me, Ayeon. You are my Queen. Please get that through your head. You need to enter the battle with a clear mind. All this personal grudge against Cyndi and the team is just—"

"It's not even the team, Bernie. It's just her." Ayeon knocks his arm away. " You know the King position is a battle of popularity. There's nothing wrong with Jaejoong. He is perfect for the position. And the knights? They got potential. I can see them pulling off great maneuvers if someone else was lending them the will. Haven't you seen their last match with BTOB?"

"No, Ayeon... only you obsess over them and watch their every match."

"It's strange. It's strange as hell, I'm telling you. Boys Republic... they show off their best. They always bring their power game... but you know why they never garner any attention?"

Bernard sighs, knowing what is expected of him as he mutters the word. "Why..." What ever talk pacifies his Queen is a good thing.

"They always up in the fourth quarter and the fourth quarter is when the viewers tune in to see the King make his appearance. But, Bernie... I saw it... I saw the maknae hold the upper hand in the fourth quarter during their match with BTOB. There's no reason... there's no reason the maknae should've lost that dominance unless..."

"Unless the Queen curbed him at the last second. Is that what you're trying to say?" Bernard chuckles... because the idea is absolutely insane. "There's no reason for her to do that. You know it, Ayeon. You know it."

"I know... but, ... who knows what goes on inside that 's head. She should be admitted to a mental institute, not a high risk game."

"Even if their Queen, Cyndi, is crazy... she wouldn't be crazy enough to lose on purpose. They need to win to gain sponsors. A team without sponsors is nothing."

"I know that, Bernie. I know. But, I just can't get it out of my mind. Every single one of those boys... their skills... their skills aren't lousy at all. They can definitely take down bigger prey. I just can't... first, second, and third quarter is their game. Totally their game... and then suddenly, like some curse... the fourth quarter, they lose it... and they lose it so naturally... I didn't even notice at all... I didn't notice it until their match with BTOB. It's ing crazy, Bernie. It's messed up."

Bernard grabs her shoulders and gives her a gentle shake. "Ayeon... are you... are you afraid to face them right now? Is this what you're trying to tell me? This not about your personal grudge, but really about... this?"

"I don't know, Bernie..." Her eyes are bloodshot. "I don't know what's going on with me. It's like they're playing with my mind."

"Ayeon, please. You need to clear your mind. Pull yourself together. We're facing them in a few hours. It's on schedule. There's no backing out."

"I know, Bernie... I ing know that, god dammit!"

"Oh god... we can't have you breaking down like this. ." He lets go of Ayeon and she crumbles to the floor. "There's got to be a way to refocus." He rubs his forehead. "Dry your tears, Ayeon. I'm your King. I will help you get through this." He looks down at her. "Are your tears dried?"

She covers her face and nods her head. "But why... why am I being so emotional like this? It shouldn't bother me to this extent. It shouldn't, but—"

"We have a few hours before the match. We'll definitely figure something out. If your tears are dried. Let's go meet the boys."