Missed Chance

The Beauty and the Beast
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Last chapter recap:

Donghwa was a village 8 hours from Seoul that was surrounded with a lake, a forest and another slum village called wolf village. The forest was so thick and mysterious that none of the villagers dare to enter even though it was a shortcut for them if they wanted to go to the city. Inside the forest stood a big castle that was hidden among the trees, none of the villagers ever saw it. It was considered as urban legend and villagers believed that there was something in the forest that was scary and sounded like animal. Park Shin Hye was a senior in Donghwa highschool, she was a nerd that often being bullied because she had a father who, the villagers believed, was crazy. She worked part time in a second-hand book store so that she could read books for free. She dreamed to go to school in Seoul, her hometown. Park Sang Myun was Shin Hye's dad, he built and fixed furniture and transported it to the Donghwa castle. An old woman lived there, Kim Hae Sook, who served a master who had a bad temper, very strong and had a bad and strong odor. The master did not like stranger and was always angry if someone enter his house. Park Min Woo was the son of the owner of the only hotel in the village, he befriended with Park Hae Jin who was a reporter who came to Donghwa every two weeks. Min Woo had a crush on Kim Ji Won, the town hottie who sadly was interested in Hae Jin. Hae Jin loved to go to Donghwa and even though his aunt told him to get married, he said he was not interested in girls. Until he almost had an accident and met Shin Hye.

​---o0o---

The spring sun was shinning at its best in the middle of Friday afternoon. It was only the second week of March but it was already as hot as the summer; though it did not hinder the highschool boys from their after school activity, a round of football on the field. For those who were not a part of the athlete group, hanging around on the side of the field was good enough for spare time killing; cheered, booed and occasionally jeered at the players blunder were a great entertainment after one long day of math and science.

Park Min Woo who thought that the sport only messed up his proud mohawk sat with his two bestfriends, watching the game earnestly as their classmates were up against the next door class. They sat on a concrete near the front gate which was a perfect place to observe every single student who were leaving the school building. 

"Argh! That Joon Young!" Min Wo shouted, "What is so hard about hitting a free kick!?" he said angrily.

"Ya! If you think it's so easy, why don't you try and play once in a while!" Yeon Seok chided.

"Bichoso!? It's so hot today... watching them is enough to make me feel the heat." Min Woo said.

"Let's go then! Let's go to the diner and have something refreshing." Bo Gum who was sitting on a concrete stair got ready to stand up.

Min Woo was fast to grab his shoulder to make him stay seated, "Not until I see my princess!"

"Tch! So that's why you wanted to see the game? Are you waiting for Ji Won-nie?" Yeon Seok exclaimed in annoyance, "Do you know what degrees it is right now?!"

Min Woo teethly grinned.

"Ah! Jinjaa!!" his two friends sulked though did not make any effort to leave.

Min Woo chuckled giddily., getting his two bestfriends to hang out in the sun after school was not easy, hence the over dramatic laugh. Once he looked up, something caught his attention. After a few seconds of contemplation, his mischievous smirk grew.

"Wait! Wait! Do you guys want to see something funny?" Min Woo said excitedly, the two boys looked at him quizzically but intrigued by the act that he put on. "Shin Hye ya!!" Min Woo exclaimed, his friends turned their heads to the same direction. "Come here! I have something for you!"

The brown haired girl looked up from her thick book and immediately frowned to see the one who called her. With a suspicious look she approached the three boys, "What?" she barked.

"Here! My mother gave me this. She said it's from Lee Sang Hoon ahjussi. Something about getting a book..." Min Woo extended his hand to relay a piece of paper.

Shin Hye's brows curled, she stared at the hand for a few seconds before taking it. "When did you get this?" she said suspiciously.

"This morning! Your boss is going to Gwangju to visit his son, right? He stopped by at the inn, gave the paper to my mother so she could ask me to give it to you." Min Woo said seriously. His friends looked at him curiously, wondering why he was being so nice all of the sudden.

"O! So why are you giving it to me?" Shin Hye asked, she looked at him like he had gone mad. "Easily?"

Min Woo laughed mockingly, "So who do you think I should give it to instead? The baker? the postman? or worse, your dad?!" Min Woo shuddered, "Wouldn't want that too happen...!"

Shin Hye's expression turned violent, "You had to add in the insult, didn't you?" she scowled, "Arasso! Gomawo! Anything else?"

"Aniyo! That's it!" Min Woo said nonchalantly. With one last amazed look, Shin Hye resumed walking to the school gate. "Ah! Matta!" Min Woo exclaimed suddenly, "He said that you need to get the book by today at 2. The Ahjussi who owned the book will leave to Seoul by then."

"Mwo!!?" Shin Hye shouted and glanced at her watch. "Aish! Why didn't you say so earlier!!" she ran frantically.

Min Woo suppressed a smile and once he was sure that Shin Hye was out of hearing range, he bursted out laughing. Yeon Seok and Bo Gum looked at each other in confusion and turned to the boy who was now laughing maniacally.

"Which part of it, that supposed to be funny?" Bo Gum asked curiously.

"The owner of the house is actually still in Seoul. My mother told me to tell her that she should get it on the weekend after he's back." he said in between the laugh, his hands clenched his stomach.

"Where does he live?" Yeon Seok asked.

"DongYeon street!!!" Min Woo laughed louder.

"Mwo!!!" the two boys shouted simultaneously.

"That's like near the highway!! It's almost one and a half hour drive!" Yeon Seok berated.

"O! And she has to run to the bus stop if she wants to catch the bus and get there before 2!!" Min Woo laughed again, though the laugh now seemed forced.

Yeon Seok and Bo Gum stood up, they shook their heads in amaze-annoyance at the school clown. "That's just plain cruel!! You're just plain crazy!" Bo Gum said while walking out of the school yard.

"Even crazier than old man Park!" Yeon Seok agreed.

"Ya! Can you imagine her face when she finds out that nobody's home? She would be so pissed once she's back!" Min Woo laughed again. "Ya! Kajika!!" he exclaimed while running after his two friends, completely forgetting about his mission of waiting on his crush.

---

"Park Min Woo!!!!!!!" Shin Hye screamed on top of her lung, "I'm gonna kill you!!!!!!" she looked up and shouted at the sky.

She was on the side of the main road that connected Donghwa with the highway, just a few kilometers from the exit. The road laid along the great lake until it reached the village. Only a few houses were on the other side of the road, and the distance between them was quite far. The side road was sandy and because of the heavy rain several days ago, the gravel from the was washed over and now covered most part of the road.

"Arrggh!! I knew it! I knew it! I shouldn't have trusted that crazy hair guy!!!" Shin Hye wriggled her whole body to shake things off. "Ya! Park Shin Hye!! Why are you so gullible?!" she jumped, and she air-punched, and she air-kicked in anger; which unfortunately made the dust flew around her and causing her to cough vigorously.

After awhile and after she felt less angry, she staggered to the direction of the village. There were not many cars passed, since the road only led to Donghwa and that village was not much of a tourist attractions. The only thing closest to a vehicle that passed her was a red pick up truck carrying manure to be brought to the plantation. The truck sped so fast, that it only left her with flying sand, causing another round of coughing fest.

"Ey!!!" she berated, "Well! I guess I'm still lucky that it's not raining. And it wasn't a puddle of mud but a sandstorm instead that attacked me." she said sarcastically.

She resumed walking while enjoying the beautiful scenery of the road. The lake and the forest behind it was so picturesque, it wiped away all of her anger. She was finally enjoying the walk when something caught her attention just a few meters in front of her.

"Hora? What happened?" her eyebrows raised in curiosity.

The red pick up truck that blew dust on her a few minutes ago halted in the middle of the road, a pack of cattle was in front of it, big brown cows walked leisurely, taking their time to cross the road to get to the lake. The truck honked its horn impatiently, the driver's head popped out from the window, shouting at the innocent animal.

"Ahjussi! It's no use to shout like that! I don't think they understand you." Shin Hye said when she arrived at the scene.

"So what do you suggest? I'm on a tight schedule!" he yelled at her. "I almost hit them because of all the dust flying around all over."

Shin Hye fell silent, her eyes scattered from one spot to another, obviously was assessing the situation. She then put her bag down and walked towards the cattle, grabbing a handful of grass on the way.

"Come on, Girl! Let's go! Have some delicious grass!" She said to the cow at the front, the pick up truck driver followed her lead and went to the cow's behind, pushing it so it would move faster.

The lazy animal lit up and ate the grass from her hands, steadily increased its pace and left the pack that was still in the middle of the road. Shin Hye led the big cow to the other side of the street and guided her to enjoy the grass there. She then ran back to the road to get the others.

Now that the road had a bit of a clearing, the driver of the the pick up truck started its engine again. He sped as fast as the old engine allowed, zig-zaged its way to avoid the cattle.

"Ya! Hakseng! You're good... gomawo!!!" He shouted in between the rumble of the machine.

Shin Hye pouted, "Tch!! Thank you for the offer! And no! I don't want to ride in a manure truck anyway!!!" she exclaimed cynically.

Shin Hye was about to resume walking, but then she saw a mini sandstorm a few meters behind her, which was a sign that a car was approaching. She looked at the cows, hoping that they would cross the road faster; but when it did not, she got panic since she could already hear the car on its way straight to the animals.

"C'mere, girl! C'mere, girl!" she said with a tiny baby-voice. 

But the cow moved ever so slowly yet the car approached with a full speed. Shin Hye could already see that the car was a white SUV, but it did not show any sign of slowing down.

"Ya! Ya! Jugule?" she shouted at the innocent animal. "Palli! Palli!!" she threw the grass to the cow's snout to attract its attention.

Luckily it did the trick, as the cow finally moved heading to the right side of the road. Thinking that she managed to get the first cow to move, Shin Hye diverted her attention to the last one, which looked like it was about to sit and sleep on that road. Attracting its attention with a grass from the side of the road would be a wasted effort, so she ran to its back and tried to push it like how the pick up driver did. Useless, but one might as well try.

The dust-storm caused by the moving car was getting thicker as it got nearer. It was as if the driver was sleeping because the car was still in full speed even though it was only meters a way from the first cow. 

"Is he blind? Why isn't he stopping!!?" Shin Hye thought to herself, "Ahjussi! Slow down!!!" she shouted.

Suddenly the car screeched and skidded to the right, which was unfortunately where Shin Hye was. The car horn echoed together with Shin Hye's scream; she froze looking at the car that was ready to crash on her and could only instinctively cover her face. Luckily the car skidded again way to the right and slammed a big rock at the side of the road.

Shin Hye needed several seconds before realizing that she was well and alive even though it was hard to see where she was due to the dust storm that surrounded her. She looked at the pack of cattle that was almost arrived at the lake and sighed in relieve. Now she only had one thing to worry about: the angry driver who was already yelling at her.

""Ya!! Bichoso!! What were you doing in the middle of the road!!" a fresh bruise on the driver's forehead was starting to appear. 

"Chuesong-hamnida! Chuesong-hamnida!!" Shin Hye ran from across the street and bowed to him several times, she was genuinely felt guilty for the accident.

"Look at this!! I'm hurt you know!!" the driver's looked like he was in so much pain.

"Ottoke?! I was afraid that cattle might cause an accident. Does it hurt a lot?" Shin Hye looked at the wound sympathetically, she thought she saw blood ready to come out from it.

Only now she had a chance to take a look at the driver. He was a young man, probably in his early twenties. He wore a white shirt and a maroon sweatshirt, clearly too stylish for a village boy. His bang was combed down and made him looked like a boy, but Shin Hye knew he was way older than her. The young man looked smart and friendly, Shin Hye thought he looked familiar.

"Of course it hurt! You try bumping your head to the wheel!" he was still unnecessarily yelling at Shin Hye.

Shin Hye chuckled by the over-reaction, "Thank you! I'll just believe at whatever you say." she somehow gained a courage to .

His eyebrows' raised but his face softened, "Are you from Donghwa? You're a highschooler, aren't you? What are you doing here? It's still quite far from the town."

"Ah Deh! I was on my way back from an errand, and yes I'm a student at Donghwa's highschool. My name is Park Shin Hye."

"Gu Rae? My name is Park Hae Jin, I'm from Seoul and you just make me wreck my aunt's car!" he snapped.

---

Park Hae Jin sat on a tree stump, crouching his body while rubbing his feet on the gravel; creating a curve on the sand. He hoped by doing so, the waiting would not be so painful. But after awhile he looked up and looked around, huffed heavily when there was still no sign of the girl.

The sun was getting hotter and the event that just happened only added sour mood to him. He stared at the car not too far from him and sighed, the bumper was heavily dented. He knew it would cost him quite a lot to repair it, but at least it still could be used so he would not be stranded in the middle of nowhere.

"Here you go, Ahjussi!" a crisp voice of a girl brought him back from his train of thoughts.

Hae Jin looked up and saw a can of cold drink in front of his face, he reached for it and reluctantly smiled. "Gomawo! What took you so long? It's really hot today and you left me in the middle of nowhere?" he barked.

"I went to get medication for you..." Shin Hye said defensively.

"We should've just go together!" even Hae Jin himself wondered why he was so y that day.

Shin Hye stood akimbo, "But you said you were dizzy! And you don't feel like driving! Aigoo, are Seoul men snobbish and spoiled like you, Ahjussi!?" she said with a scornful look.

"I am not snobbish and spoiled! Look at my car! I haven't finish paying it!" he yelled, "Why did you have to stand in the middle of the road like that? And why do you keep calling me Ahjussi, Ahjussi!? I'm just five years older than you!" he rattled.

Shin Hye shot daggers at the man while opening her backpack and took out a first aid kit. She squatted in front of him, took out an ointment, put it on a cotton bud and looked up. Her fierce stare somehow silenced the chattery man.

"Do you want to get treated or not?" she asked.

Hae Jin diverted his gaze, unable to counter her fierceness. "O!"

Shin Hye rolled her eyes and stood up in front of him, pushed his bangs away and gently dabbed the cotton bud to the wound on his forehead.

Hae Jin's eyes scattered, he looked confused and awkwardly tried to look anywhere but her. Yet after awhile, his eyes fell on her and saw Shin Hye attentively treating his wound. His gaze softened as he was mesmerized by the focused expression that was more beautiful than any girl he had ever seen.

"There you go!" Shin Hye smiled widely, satisfied at her own work. She looked at Hae Jin who was now looking like a lost puppy and giggled.

"Wae? Why are you laughing?" Hae Jin asked curiously

"At least you're not one of those guys who yelled at girls but whimper because of a small wound. Charessoyo!" she patted the band aid.

"Ack! That hurt!" Hae Jin exclaimed angrily

Shin Hye let out another giggle, "You'll live!" she said while tidying up her things and stood up.

Hae Jin looked at her quizzically, "You're leaving?" he asked, slightly panicked.

"Deh! I have to go to work. If you don't mind, can you please return this to the ahjumma that lived about 500 m there?" she pointed a direction. "Stay here and rest until you're able to drive. I really need to go!" Shin Hye put her backpack on and bowed.

"Wait!! I'm okay now!" Hae Jin exclaimed when she was just five steps away, she turned to look at him in confusion. "Kajika!" he instructed, stomping his way to his car.

Shin Hye stared at the older man in disbelief and scoffed before catching up to him and climbed onto the dented SUV.

---

Shin Hye unlocked the door and enter the old shop, the fragrant of old paper welcomed her immediately as she went to the counter and kept her backpack. Hae Jin came in and looked around, looking somewhat in awe with the state of the store. He looked at the highschool girl and smiled in amazement.

"So you work here? In a second-hand bookstore? I've heard of this place, but never had any intention to come here. Donghwa is way too pretty to be spent in a bookstore." Hae Jin said while looking at the rows of books on a rack.

"I know, Seoul must have a lot of cool bookstore. I don't think a bookstore is a tourist attraction for people from big cities." Shin Hye said, she poured water into two glasses.

"So why do you work here? I thought nobody in this village do part time work. Usually school girls hang out in the diner or go to the orchard after school, right?" He leaned on the rack and looked at Shin Hye.

"You sounded like you come here a lot..." Shin Hye took a rag and started her daily task.

Hae Jin was flabbergasted, "O? You don't know me?" he asked.

"Do I have to know you?" Shin Hye looked at him in confusion, "Are you some kind of celebrities from Seoul? Movie Star? Wuah! That would be so Notting HiIl!" she chirped.

"You know Notting Hill?" Hae Jin stared at her in amazement.

"We sell DVDs too, the Ahjussi who lived near the road where we had the accident used to live in Seoul. He has an awesome collection of DVD and books; and he's kind enough to donate most of them to us." Shin Hye said from behind one of the rack. "So are you really a celebrity?"

Hae Jin chuckled, "No! I'm a junior reporter, I just started working in the Korea Herald for a year." he found a stool in one of the corner and sat on it.

"Cheongmall!" Shin Hye exclaimed excitedly. "Wuah! Your english must be good! Wait! I thought being a reporter you don't have that much of a free time. You have to be stationed at a police station and stand by practically 24/7, right?" she asked.

"O! That's practically my life last year. Now that I'm not a newbie anymore, I get more free time. That's why I can visit Donghwa almost every two weeks this year." Hae Jin answered.

"Mwo!?" Shin Hye suddenly appeared, "What are you doing here every two weeks?" 

Hae Jin eyes scattered, "Nothing! I like it here!" he said defensively, Shin Hye looked at him suspiciously. "What? Donghwa is one of the most beautiful village in South Korea. It's pure, natural and quiet... A perfect place for hiding." he added rather darkly.

"Yeeahh! But I never thought that that would be a valid reason to drive 8 hours every two weeks!" Shin Hye said skeptically.

Hae Jin shrugged and diverted his attention to a book on a rack, "So! What kind of book you sell here? Do you have any mystery novel?" he said trying to divert the conversation.

Shin Hye was still looking at him suspiciously but decided to let it go. "Why? Do you like mystery? We have about 20 books of Agatha Christise, 5 Dan Browns and around 15 from Stephen King." she replied.

"Woah! Do you know all that? For sure?" Hae Jin asked, genuinely impress.

"Of course! I'm in charge of the inventory and I read each and every book in this room." she bragged.

Hae Jin smiled mischievously, Shin Hye thought it was the cutest smile she had ever seen. "Gurae? Latest book you read?" he tested.

"Currently repeating Agatha Cristie's Murder on the Orient Express." Shin said with deadpan look.

"Favorite korean novel?" he asked almost instantly.

"Please Look After Mom by Shin Kyung Sook" She answered without thinking.

"Favorite author?" he squinted his eyes playfully.

"Dan Brown of Da Vinci's code." she mirrored him.

"Favorite books?" he continued.

"Seven series of Harry Potter." she replied.

Hae Jin frowned, "That's a bit too mainstream, isn't it?" he teased.

"There's a reason why it's a mainstream, because it really is good!" she sulked.

Hae Jin chuckled, Shin Hye liked his smile. "What is this book about?" He randomly took a book from a rack that he leaned on.

"A north korean girl escaped to South and ended up being a spy so she could pick up her mother and smuggled her to South Korea" Shin Hye raised her eyebrows, answering every challenge victoriously.

Hae Jin's smile grew wider, he clapped his hands slowly. "Impressive!!" he praised.

Shin Hye froze by the praise, never in her teenage life in Donghwa she was acknowledged by anyone let alone a stranger. She looked down and smiled shyly, her heart fluttered and her cheek felt warm.

"What's wrong?" Hae Jin asked curiously, though enjoying the cute shy expression from the girl.

She looked up and smiled sweetly, "Nothing, it's just that... this is maybe the first time someone appreciate my reading hobby. The people in this town... they... erm.. not really fond of reading." she said, timidly towards the end.

Hae Jin looked intrigued, "I'm guessing you're the nerd type in school and people often tease you about it?"

Shin Hye looked doubtful, "Well.. 'tease' would be an understatement. But yeah! Something like that!" she agreed.

Hae Jin smiled knowingly which somehow warmed her heart, "I used to be called Pororo in Highschool." he explained, Shin Hye looked at him quizzically, "Because my glasses was very thick, it looked like a flying goggle." Shin Hye's crisp laugh echoed through the room. "It gets better as you grow up. Trust me!" he spread his arms bragging his current state.

Shin Hye frowned at first but scoffed once she understood, "Aigoo, are you trying to say that you look good right now? Waaah... you have a lot of confidence, Ahjussi!"

"Yah! Stop calling me Ahjussi!" he sulked. He stood straight up as if he were leaving.

Shin Hye chuckled, "So what do you want me to call you?"

"Oppa!" He smiled his killer smile. "Kan Da!!" he waved.

"O ti kaseyo?" she said curiously.

"To the inn, I need to get settled down." he looked at her in amazement and put his hand on her head. "Speak comfortably, okay! Let's be friends!" he patted her head and walked out of the store.

Shin Hye was stunned by the sudden act of affection, she instinctive raised her hand and touched her head, where his hand was. Her lips slowly raised as the warmth of her heart reached her brain.  Never in her life someone treated her that nice aside from her father; so when someone did, it really tugged her heartstring. Her smile grew wider as she recall that the handsome man would be in town throughout the weekend, which means another chance of running into him. She glanced at the door and smiled expectantly, hoping that she could see him again, even if it just from afar.

---

Hae Jin climbed down the wooden staircase of Donghwa's inn hurriedly. He was making so much noises that he attracted the attention of the people who were eating in the Diner. He bowed apologetically when he realised that there were a dozen pair of eyes stared at him, grinned nervously and disappeared through the main door.

"Hyung!!" Min Woo exclaimed when he was about to get bumped by the reporter. "Are you going somewhere?" He looked at the hyung from head to toe, "Why all dressed up?" 

Hae Jin scoffed nervously, "Dressed up? What do you mean dressed up? This is how I look normally..." he said defensively.

"You look like you're going on a date. And where were you last night? I thought you're going to teach me potograpi?" the boy eyed the older man suspiciously.

Hae Jin rolled his eyes, "It's Photography. Let's do it tomorrow, today I have another plan. I'm going now, okay? See you tonight!" he left the boy hurriedly before another question came up.

"Tonight? You're going that long? Where? Take me with you!" Min Woo exclaimed. When Hae Jin rejected with a vigorous hand wave, he pouted so deep that he looked like a goldfish. "Don't forget, you promised me an Ji Won to go to the city!!" he shouted.

Hae Jin half-ran crossing the town square, he looked excited as he breathed in the fresh air of Saturday morning in the village. The sky was clear blue and the birds chirped cheerfully making the day even more beautiful.

Once he got to a junction, he looked around to make sure that Min Woo was not around and then immediately turned left, passed the bookstore and straight to the road leading to the plantation.

He saw the bookstore was locked and dark, his smile grew remembering the bookstore keeper he met just the day before. As the path was getting steep, his pace became slower and his breathing became heavier. Yet he still looked as excited as he first alighted.

"Shin Hye-ya!" he called, the long haired girl turned around and smiled shyly. "Did you wait long?"

"Aniyo, I just got here. Did you run from the inn?" she asked curiously, beads of sweat on his forehead got her intrigued.

"O! My mother used to say never to make a girl waiting." he said matter-of-factly.

His tone was calm and serious but it was enough to make Shin Hye blushed. "Your mom is a wise woman." she commented as they started to walk side by side.

"O! She was... she told me that when I was ten, everyday when she picked me up to school." he reminisced, 'A mother should not make her child waiting like a man should not make a woman waiting'. One day she made me wait. That's how I knew something was wrong." Shin Hye eyed him curiously. "She had leukemia and fainted. She died not long after."

Shin Hye's eyebrows raised, she suddenly looked utterly sad. Her eyes moved away from him and stared bleakly at the horizon, "Do you miss her?" she asked timidly.

Hae Jin sighed, "From time to time. But I think it was easier for me because I always knew that she was sick. She always explained to me why she was pale all the time and had to go straight to bed after picking me up from school." he smiled peacefully, "I think all those advices she gave me was to prepare me for after she's gone." he looked at the girl beside him and frowned to see the changes of mood. "Are you okay?" he asked.

Shin Hye jerked, "Deh?Deh..." she faked a smile.

"What about you, do you live with your mom and dad?" Hae Jin thought his story made her sad.

Shin Hye smile subsided but in a matter of seconds she smiled excitedly, "Oh! We're here! Let's go Hae Jin Oppa!"

She ran to the top of the hill and stood at the highest point that Hae Jin could see. He observed the girl curiously but decided to let it go and chased after her. Once he was beside her, he gasped in awe and immediately took out his camera.

"Ippeuji??!" Shin Hye asked expectantly.

"O My God, Shin Hye-ya! This is gorgeous!!" he exclaimed while pointing his camera to the ground below them.

Peach plantation laid as far as their eye sight. The rows of peach trees that were starting to bloom made the plantation looked like a sea of pink cotton candy. The greenish valley fused with the pinkish peach tree flowers was truly a sight for people's eyes.

"It's just the start of spring, so the flowers are not that many." she explained, she looked proud due to his astonishment. "In a month or so, it will be pink all over the plantation. And once they ripe, it's so much fun to walk in between the trees and took out a few of the peaches..."

"Is it okay to do that?" Hae Jin looked at her doubtful.

"It depends..." her smile curled, "On how fast you run or climb the trees."

Hae Jin chuckled, which tickled her stomach. "And I believe you're a fast runner?" he teased.

"The fastest among the girls and third among the seniors." she bragged, Hae Jin let out his lower lip supporting her brag. "And eating the peaches on top of the trees are way better. Just don't forget to bring a plastic bag."

He let out a louder laugh, "Yaaa! Park Shin Hye, you have all figured out, haven't you?" he rubbed the top of her head.

Shin Hye smiled shyly like a puppy to her master. "Come on, let's go down. Last night you said you wanted to take pictures of the plantation. We can have breakfast while you take pictures." she said.

"Wooo... Park Shin Hye, I see you're very experienced in dating. Is this where you go on a date with your boyfriend?" he teased.

Shin Hye looked at him in panic, her cheek turned red, "Aniyo! Is this call dating? Having breakfast in a peach plantation?" she asked rather naively.

Hae Jin chuckled again, "Well it depends. A date becomes a date depends on who you're doing it with..." Hae Jin said, he smiled enigmatically watching her blush.

"This looked like a good place." Shin Hye said while taking off her backpack.

She squatted, opened the pink bag and took out a mat. She laid the mat on the ground in between two peach trees that had the most bloomed flowers. A number of plastic boxes came out next containing sausage kimbab and kimchies.

"Woah! You're very well prepared. What time did you got up and prepared all that?" Hae Jin exclaimed in amazement.

"I always prepare breakfast for my Dad. I just have to make it more because you wanted to see the peach plantation so early in the morning." she rolled her eyes faking annoyance.

"I know... why did I have to go back to the bookstore last night and hang out with you more. Else, I would still on my comfy bed at the inn." he played along and making both of them bursted a laugh.

All the while, Shin Hye carefully put the dishes on the mat, opened them one by one and put chopstick for both of them. She then took out a vacuum flask and two paper cups; poured coffee into them and put them on the mat. She looked up after finishing the breakfast preparation and blushed right away to see him stared at her.

"What?" Shin Hye barked, trying to conceal her fluttering heart.

"Nothing... so this is why my aunt told me to get a village girl as a girlfriend. I never see Seoul girl be this attentive." he remarked, again, seriously and calmly without any trace of flirt.

"Where do you live in Seoul?" Shin Hye asked as he sat down on the mat.

"Gomdallae-ro, it's in ... " he replied.

"Gangseo-gu" Shin Hye cut him off.

Hae Jin was stunned, "O? How do you know?"

"I used to live in Gangseo-ro, also in the area" Shin Hye said matter-of-factly.

"Cheong Mal?" he exclaimed, genuinely surprise, "That's like two blocks from where I live. Well, actually it's my aunt's. I stayed with her after my mom died, so she's just like my mother." he grabbed a chopstick and stared expectantly when Shin Hye opened one of the box. "When did you move here?" he asked as he took a kimbab from the box that she held out.

"3 years ago, when I was 15. I cried everyday when I first got here." she explained. "I li

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter