The Tale of Three Brothers

The Beauty and the Beast
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Last Chapter Recap:

Donghwa was a village that was surrounded with a lake, a forest and another slum village called wolf village. Inside the forest stood a big castle that was rumoured the home of a strange animal Park Shin Hye was a senior in Donghwa highschool, she was a nerd that often being bullied. Her dad was Park Sang Myun, he built and fixed furniture and transported it to the Donghwa castle. An old woman lived there, Kim Hae Sook, who served a master who had a bad temper, very strong and had a bad and strong odor. The master did not like stranger and was always angry if someone enter his house. Park Min Woo was the boy who often bullied Shin Hye, he befriended with Park Hae Jin who was a reporter from Seoul. Min Woo had a crush on Kim Ji Won, the town hottie who sadly was interested in Hae Jin. Shin Hye developed a crush on Hae Jin and confessed, but Hae Jin rejected. Park Shin Hye accepted the job to substitute Kim Hae Sook temporarily, but the master hated her and kicked her out and ended up in Wolves Village, she was chased by a few men.When they were about to attack her, the master (Jimseung) saved her. Shin Hye asked him to teach her how to fight. The result of the training was Shin Hye confidence and standing up against bullies. They became friends. Shin Hye noticed that Jimseung can see ghosts as well as she could sense them. They investigate the ghost of his grandfather who committed suicide in that mansion. Hae Jin realised that he actually liked Shin Hye but disappointed when found out that Shin Hye lived in the mansion with Jimseung and appeared friendly. Hae Jin seemed to know Jimseung. Jimseung asked Shin Hye to go with him to the US for study, but because of Hae Jin and her father surgery, Shin Hye cancelled the plan. They went their separate ways. 4 Year later, Shin Hye was a policewoman part of the violence team in Jong No percent. Although she was the best graduate but she was belittled due to her gender, and small figure. She was now living with Kim Ji Won who was aspiring to be a model. Hae Jin is a well known reporter and still very close with Min Woo a cameraman and the ladies. Kang Ha Neul was a prosecutor that often interact with Shin Hye’s precinct. Kim Bum was the owner of modelling agency at which Ji Won was applying to. She hated him because he fooled her into believing that she could be a model when they first met four years ago. Ji Won threw water on the day she was auditioning at his company. Lee Min Ho was the heir of Lotte Group that had been abroad for so many years and finally return to Seoul. His first assignment was to make sure that a new mall called “The Rose” was being constructed and opened in timely manner. Shin Hye got a new partner, a bad tempered and jaded but smart Inspector Jung Kyung Ho. Together with their Captain Park Sung Woong, the three of them went to a mansion to meet a witness of suicide case at the construction site of “The Rose”. The witness was Lee Min Ho.

—o0o—

Christmas Day 1993, the snowstorm the day before had left most of South Korea crippled as the street was covered with snow, the public transportation stopped running and the people prefered to stay at home cuddled beneath a wool blanket with their loved ones. So coming to a birthday party at times like that would not be a preference. For a commoner.

The guests that were coming to this birthday party however was far more than a commoner, clearly shown by the means of transportation used to arrive at the venue. A mansion eight hours from the capital city of the country, in the middle of a forest with a helipad just beside the house.

A number of helicopters had dozens of time flew and landed that day, bringing guests from all over the country and making sure none of the invitees skipped the party. It was the first birthday party of the latest heir of a business tycoon, some said it was the most important rights of passage, more important than 17th or 21st.

When a blue helicopter landed at noon, a couple in matching navy blue attire climbed down with their baby, a man welcomed them as another one took their overnight bags. They had to cover the baby from the sound of the whirring blade and from the cold, but they looked excited to be there.

“Prosecutor Kang! Welcome! My name is Jun Ki Jun, Chairman’s secretary. Director Kim just landed a few minutes before you.” The man in the black suit said while shaking his hand with the dad.

“Is that so? Am I the last person to come? Are we late?” The dad said while walking to the end of the helipad, helping his wife to cover his son inside the blanket.

“Not at all, Sir! The transportation had been arranged so that your family and Director Kim’s family are the last to arrive, considering you have the babies and all.” The man answered while nodding to a man that was holding the flight sign.

“That’s very thoughtful of you!” Prosecutor Kang praised as strong wind gushed around them.

They turned around and saw the chopper ascended above the trees and flew out of the mansion’s area. The surrounding became quiet again, and the couple could finally enjoyed the serene that was offered by the location. The snow covered forest around them was the very definition of white Christmas.

“It’s very beautiful here.” The Mom said.

“Yes, Chairman Lee loves it here. He may decide to run the business from here afterwards.” Secretary Jun said.

Prosecutor scoffed, “I’m not sure if Jong Woo will agree to that.” He said as Secretary Jun escorted them  inside the house.

“Deh, Director Lee is a bit against the idea. He wants the operations to still be in Seoul for practicality.” Secretary Jun nodded his head to a woman in a black and white uniform. “Mrs. Ryu here will you to the room, Madam Kang. Please take all the time you need to get settle and be ready. The lunch will be served in an hour. Mrs Ryu will be stationed not far from your room, so you can call her if you need anything.”

“Go! I’ll catch up with you later.” Prosecutor Kang said to his wife.

Prosecutor Kang’s wife gave a friendly smile before walking behind Mrs. Ryu. The middle aged woman gushed over the handsome baby in her cradle. Both of them climbed the grand stair and turn left to the east wing. The sound of their conversation faded once they turned to the hallway that led to the bedrooms.

“The gentlemen are enjoying cigarette and wine in the library. Would you like to join them?” Secretary Jun offered.

Prosecutor Kang smiled, “Of course! Wouldn’t want to miss the opportunity to hang out and burn Jong Woo’s money.” His tone became cold.

Secretary Jun chuckled nervously not sure whether the prosecutor was joking or not. He climbed the stairs and made way to the opposite direction as the ladies. Opening the double wooden door and passed the dark alley that led to a glass door. He opened the door and instantly welcomed with blinding brightness due to the contrast with the hallway.

The sound of people talking, glass tinkling and silverware clanking surrounded them as one floor below them was busy with lunch preparation. The two gentlemen strode pass the downward stair, climbed the upward one and immediately welcomed by series of murmur from a group of men wearing expensive suit with cigars or champagne glass or both on their hands.

“There you are! Glad you can make it!” A man rose from one of the armchair and approached Prosecutor Kang.

“Yes! Thank you for the invitation, Jong Woo-ya. Soo Ji loves this place, your father has outdone himself this time. Will this be open for public?” Prosecutor Kang said as he took a glass from the tray carried by one of the server.

“Thank you, yes it’s beautiful. And you don’t have any idea how hard it is to get this piece of land. Strings I had to pull for my dad.” Jong Woo rolled his eyes while sipping his glass and as his eyes met his friend’s glaring eyes he began to realise his mistake. “Erm! You don’t want to know…” he chuckled nervously.

“Can’t you just do things properly? I mean do you really need to do all those stuff for your business?” Prosecutor Kang whispered, “You’re rich as it is, don’t you think you’re being too ambitious already?”

Lee Jong Woo shifted his bodyweight and faced his friends completely, “Ji Hwan-a, like I said, there’s nothing you should be worried about. I’m just doing what I have to do to continue my dad’s empire. You can’t be seriously think that he built this whole thing without any blood on his hand, right?” He joked,  “Figuratively speaking. Everybody does!” Jong Woo added after his friend’s face turned pale a little.

Kang Ji Hwan sighed, “I just don’t want to have to meet you in the court or something.” He smiled as he saw someone by the crowd and raised his glass to that man.

“Now now… you wouldn’t do that to your friend, right?” Jong Woo dropped his hand to Ji Hwan’s shoulder, gripping it to give some effect.

Kang Ji Hwan peered at the hand on his shoulder, feeling a weight that felt so much like a subtle threat. “Soo Man-a! Did you bring the family?” He exclaimed to other man who was heading towards them.

“Ji Hwan-a! Nice of you to join us! I haven’t seen you for awhile.” The man was smiling widely as he spread his arm and pulled Prosecutor Kang for a hug. “Of course they're here, I was just informed that Ah Reum, Soo Ji and Da Hee are playing in the children’s room. What are we talking about here?” He asked to Jong Woo.

“Nothing! Ji Hwan was just admiring the house.” Jong Woo said as he gestured to the room.

“Ah! Yes! This place is beautiful, you should open it for public someday, you know! Commercialised it. I’d like to rent it sometime for shoot location.” Soo Man said.

“Sure! I’ll talk to my dad. I’m sure he’ll happily lent it to you. But no, he wouldn’t want to open it for public. He thinks we’re rich as it is, so no need to milk this place further.” Jong Woo said as Secretary Jun came from the stair to announce that lunch was ready.

“I always like your dad.” Ji Hwan said, biting his smile.

“Shut up! You’re always no fun! And you’re always on my Dad’s side.” Jong Woo protested as he led his two friends to the stair.

Ji Hwan and Soo Man chuckled, “Just be careful, Okay! Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do.” Ji Hwan said.

“Ugh! Why did you have to go to law school!?” Jong Woo begrudgingly barked, followed by a mocking laugh from Soo Man.

“Hey! I come from a family of law practitioner, a building for the Law Department in SNU is named after my grandfather. There’s a big shoes to fill, my father is being appointed as the Attorney General this year.”

Soo Man raised his eyebrows, “Really!? Waah… It must be tough on you, Ji Hwan-a. I wish we never have to leave high school. Good ol days!” He chuckled rather sadly.

“What are you talking about? Your life is perfect! Surrounded by chicks all the time, I heard they throw themselves onto you to get casted on your advertisement!” Jong Woo nudged his bestfriend.

“Sshh!! Don’t let the missus hear you! I have so much problem already, some psycho sent her to my house the other day. It’s actually quite y though!” The three men giggled, “Yeobo!!!” Soo Man suddenly shouted as three ladies emerged from the door and made way to them.

Each of the ladies brought a baby with them, and as they got nearer to the gentlemen, they all handed over the babies to their dads. The babies were all boys, wearing the same colour baby blue pajamas and a paper hat that was the epitome of festive.

“Min Ho ya!! Saengil chukahamnida!!” Kim Soo Man greeted in a baby voice. “This is Kim Bum! You’re going to best friends like your dads!”

“And this is Kang Ha Neul, he’s going to be your conscience like I am to your Dad!!” Kang Ji Hwan added.

“Which he failed miserably!!” Lee Jong Woo joked as he moved little Min Ho’s hand into a wave, “My name is Lee Min Ho! And we’re gonna rule this world together!”

—-

“Yo, Fatso! Hurry up!” A tall boy in a middle school uniform shouted, two other boys behind him were massaging their knuckles.

A plum boy stood in front of him, clutching his wallet while his backpack was laying on the ground a few steps behind him. Blood was on his nose, his hair was disheveled and he was shivering even though he was under the scorching summer sun.

“Why… why… do you need money? You’re the richest kid in this school.” He stammered.

The tall boy and his two minions laughed heartily, “I’m glad you’ve been keeping up with the school update. But yes, you’re right. I don’t need your money. I’m actually giving you a favour, here. If you give your money to me, you won’t have enough to buy food in the cafeteria. If we do it regularly, who knows… you might loose some weight, look better, get some girl, maybe loose your ity!” The tall boy laughed mockingly, “Now give it, fast. It smells like garbage here.”

The plum boy looked around the area, the deserted garbage area that was rarely visited by anybody in the school except for the janitor. He knew that even the janitor was scared of the kid who was currently intimidating him, so crying for help would not do him any better.

“No” he whispered, the lump in his throat got bigger.

The tall boy’s smile faded as he thought he heard an answer that was not of his preference, “Say what now?” He tilted his head so that his right ear was against the plum kid. “Ji Hoo-ya! That’s your name, right? I don’t think you understand the situation here. Answering was not part of the option, it’s either you give your money to us, or you go home with bruises on your body.” He slowly approached his victim.

Ji Hoo stepped backward until he was against the wall, “I’m not giving you my money, I did nothing wrong, you’re just a bully! Get away from me?” He shouted.

The tall boy marched forwards and roughly reached for Ji Hoo’s jaws, cradling it in a firm grab until it suffocating him. Ji Hoo kept his eyes down, his sight fell on the name tag that was on the boy’s uniform shirt. Lee Min Ho. The name he turned to hate this past year, the name that had been haunting him since the day he stepped into that school.

“Are you growing some balls, Ji Hoo-ya?” Lee Min Hoo’s face was inches from him intimidatingly, “Don’t try to be a hero, stay quiet and do as I say. Do you understand?”

Ji Hoo’s breath was heavier by the second, his shiver was worsened it looked like he was nodding. The minions behind Min Hoo bursted in a laugh.

“Good! Now give me ..” Min Ho stopped mid sentence, his eyes darted to his left, far beyond his victim and suddenly fear struck his eyes. Closing his eyes for a few second, he resumed. “Give me your money now, or you’ll die today!”

“NO!” Ji Hoo stood his ground.

Min Ho’s breath went heavier, he was almost panting now. His face reddened and vein started to appear on his temple. His eyes darted left and right like he was panicking. He stepped backward while staring at his surrounding.

“Finish him! Don’t touch his face!” He said to his minions, “Don’t repeat your stupidity of punching his face!”

One of the student strutted forward and launched a punch to the boy’s stomach, sending him on the ground, grunting and breathing heavily. “You’re just a coward.” He softly said.

The two minions widened their eyes, terrified by the aftermath of Ji Hoo’s words. Min Ho stopped pacing and reactively marched towards the body on the ground and kicked him repeatedly. The two minions could only witnessed the torture in fear, they slowly stepped back as dilemma kicking in.

“Your… mouth… is… as… big… as… your… !!!” Min Ho said in between his kick.

Suddenly his head snapped left and right in panic but it did not lessen his aggression, if anything it made him more furious and now stepping on the poor kid.

“Go away!! Leave me alone!!!” He shouted while his foot were stomping the poor boy, triggering a confused look from his minion.

“Lee Min Ho!!! Kemanhe!!” A boy emerged from behind the trash container, ran towards them and plunged onto Min Ho’s back. “Stop! Enough! He’ll pass out soon!”

They struggled for a few moments before Min Ho finally stopped kicking and relented, he was now drenched in sweat and panting hard. The panic eyes softened as he stepped backward and swatted his friend’s embrace. He picked up the wallet that was thrown to the ground, took all the money bills and threw it back to Ji Hoo’s face.

“I’ll see you soon Ji Hoo-ya!” He said coldly while making way out of the area.

The boy who just came looked at Min Ho in relief, he was also panting from the mild struggle he just had with his best friend. He stepped behind his trail, but stopped when he felt a hand encircled his ankle. Finally he glanced at the plum boy by his leg.

“Gomawo, Ha Neul-a!” Ji Hoo’s breaking voice was barely heard between his breath.

Ha Neul glared at him coldly and swatted his leg out of Ji Hoo’s grip. “I didn’t do it for you.” He plodded but stopped midway to turn back to Ji Hoo, “Don’t call me that! We’re not friends.”

He walked faster with hands inside his pocket, catching up with his best-friend and his two minions. His eyes scattered once in awhile, covering his guilty conscience. He was beside Min Ho when a boyish smile welcomed them with open arms, the boy looked confused.

“You’re done already?” He smirked in satisfaction.

“Loser! Here, buy Ji Min something nice!” Min Ho threw the folded bills to him which he swiftly caught.

“Well!! You know how it is… if I have to choose between making out with the iest girl in school and beating up a loser fatso…” he scrunched his face as if thinking hard, “I’d choose making out any day!” He chuckled.

“Did you use this time, Bum-a?” Ha Neul asked in bored tone.

“Ha Neul-a! The keyword is ‘making out’” he gestured an air quote, “I’ll never again have in school, my back is too delicate for the filthy floor.” Kim Bum chuckled, “And yes, I will never forget about ever again. Turns out pregnancy scare could happen even if a girl is fifteen.”

“Guys!” Ha Neul exclaimed, stopping both of his best friends, he was about to say something but his eyes fell on the two minions, “Can you please, scram! I have something to say to these two bastards!”

The two students stared at Min Ho for awhile and only left the three bestfriends after Min Ho nodded his head. He then faced Ha Neul with bored expression, he knew that another set of nag was about to come out of his bestfriend.

“When are you guys going to grow up? Highschools is just a month away, is this how you’re going to go through high schools? Bullying some fat boy or ing every girl at school?” Ha Neul protested as he looked at the two boys in front of him alternately.

“Of course not!” They said in unison. Looking at each other in awe, they bursted out laughing and sent high five to each other.

Ha Neul sighed in relief.

“Fat Boy, skinny boy, ugly looking losers or maybe s…” Min Ho said matter-of-factly, triggering horror to Ha Neul.

“Ya!” Kim Bum chided, “Losers we played with, we !” He said seriously before chuckling mischievously as he offered his hand for a high five to Min Ho, which was welcomed wholeheartedly.

Ha Neul shook his head in disappointment, “You guys are the worse! My dad would kill me if he knows what I’ve been doing with you.”

Min Ho glared at him, “More like thing what you HAVEN’T doing with us. You’re lucky our dad are friends, otherwise you’d be like the fatso.” He nodded to the plum boy who was limping back from the garbage area. “Your dad knows what my dad has been doing, so just do what your dad does. Close your eyes and be ing bystander like a coward.”

Ha Neul widened his eyes and instinctively grabbed Min Ho’s collar, Kim Bum was fast to put his arms in between the two emotional boys, the last thing he wanted was for the three of them to burst a fight, they were supposed to be brothers.

“Kemanhe! Arasso Ha Neul-a! We’ll make sure none of our parents know what we are doing in school. What happened outside of the house, stays that way!” Kim Bum said, not everyday he had a serious face like that.

Ha Neul and Min Ho had a stare-off for a few moments, both ready in a stance to plunge a punch to each other’s jaws. But they both know that each would never hurt the other, their bond was too tight. They had known each other since the day they were born, they were brothers by choice not by blood. The last thing they would do was to hurt each other.

It was hardly noticed who lessen the grip first, but once Kim Bum’s word sank in they released the grab and stepped back. However the glare was still on each other, before Ha Neul softened and looked away.

“Look! What ever you do, never kill a guy! You would’ve kill the fatso if I hadn’t stopped you just now!” Ha Neul said in concern.

Min Ho wanted to argue but he knew Ha Neul was right, “I know, thanks!” He mumbled.

“What happened to you? You lost control, I’ve never seen you like that.” Ha Neul probed.

Min Ho’s eyes started to scatter, making Kim Bum and Ha Neul looked at each other in concern. “I… I don’t know. Maybe I was just too emotional.” He stammered.

“With the fatso?” Kim Bum asked, his face showed disgust. “Ya! What do I tell you about messing around. Never get emotion in the way… whether to mess around with a loser nor a girl!”

“I know, Imma!! I’m not talking about him, its...-” Min Ho furrowed, “Never mind, it’s gone now!” He shook his confused expression.

“And you!!!!” Ha Neul turn to Kim Bum, “I'll kill you if you get a girl pregnant before you get married.”

Kim Bum scoffed, “Get in line behind my Mom and My grandmother… and my whole ancestor for that matter.”

The three middle school boys bursted out laughing, finally shook off the tension between them like any other day when they had disagreement. Punching each other’s chest as the show of affection because that was what they were, affectionate to each other regardless of the curse words or death glare thrown to each other.

They knew that they would always each other’s back. Min Ho was always the charismatic leader, the one who made their group respected or rather frightened by the rest of the school. Kim Bum was the light of the group, the source of fun and joy, the glue that kept them together. And Ha Neul was their conscience, the one who kept them out of TOO much trouble, making sure they did not do anything that they would regret.

And even though they had a lot of argument due to their differences, they knew they would be there for each other, that the brotherhood would never be tarnished and nothing would come between them. Because when you were brothers by choice, the bond was stronger than by blood.

And as their father would repeatedly tell the tale of the first time they were introduced to each other. The three of them would rule the world together.

—-

Kang Ha Neul stared straight upfront, his eyes looked calm but there was something inhuman about the calmness of his eyes. His face seemed emotionless but the tingle of his bang betrayed him and announce to the world that he was slightly shivering.

His eyes started to waver wildly before his eyelid swung close in the effort to calm it down. The arms that he was currently raising felt like they weighed fifty tons, that raising them to the front of his forehead before swinging them down to the floor was like a crazy weightlifting practice he always hated.

He was doing so well, keeping up a blank stare to avoid showing any emotions, but by the time his forehead touched the floor for the second time, his tears broke free. He lingered a few minutes too long on his prostration, his back was shaking though no sound came out from him.

If only there was no hand grabbing his shoulder and waking him from his  bow.

“Come on Ha Neul-a! Get up! You’re drawing attention!” Kim Bum shook Ha Neul’s shoulder again, trying to forcefully make his friend to stand up.

“Where is he!?” Ha Neul scream-whispered as he struggled to stand up, “I can’t believe he decided to become a coward right now!”

“Not now! Let’s talk about this outside!” Kim Bum whispered, starting to get agitated by his friend. “His family is here! Keep it down!” He chided.

Ha Neul looked up and saw a lady in the black hanbok, looking down with her puffy eyes and swollen face. She was still sobbing while she bowed respectfully to their homeroom teacher. There was a boy around their age beside her, wearing a black suit yet a much calmer face.

“Let’s give bow to the family and go. I’m not comfortable here!” Kim Bum pulled Ha Neul’s sleeve.

Ha Neul shot a glare to his best friend and shook his head, “You can be so insensitive sometime!” He sneered.

Kim Bum looked at him like he grew second head, “What?”

By that time, the homeroom teacher had moved on and they were left right in front of the family. The lady looked up and tried to smile, a smile that was far from reaching her eyes. The teenage boy scanned both of them, his brows furrowed slightly.

“You must be my…” she choked up, “Kyung Soo’s friends?”

Ha Neul locked eyes with the boy, he then realized that even though the boy did not shed any tears like the lady but grief was all over his face. Probably much worse than the lady. Since they were of similar age, Ha Neul could sense that the boy was repressing his sorrow, like himself who was repressing his guilt.

Raising his hand to his nape, Kim Bum chuckled nervously. “Deh! We’re in the same year as he was. My name is Kim Bum and this is Ha Neul.” He nudged the boy on his right.

Ha Neul jerked and gave ninety degrees bow mimicked by Kim Bum. The lady and the boy replied their bow and stood straight up. Coincidentally, or not, Ha Neul’s eyes met the boy again, his stare became sharper by the minute. Ha Neul felt his body temperature increased rapidly.

“This is my nephew, he is the same age as Kyung Soo, which means same as you two.” Kyung Soo’s mother said. “His name is Park Hae Jin.”

“Deh! Nice to meet you!” Kim Bum said rather hurriedly, glancing behind his back and realize that they were stalling the line of mourner. “We’ll be going now, Mam!” He said as he pushed Ha Neul.

Hae Jin was still eyeing the two Jeguk students. Like the rest of the mourners coming from the school, the two boys reeked money. Their black suit looked plain and dull yet still distinguished than the other guests, the commoner one. It looked branded and expensive, did not need a fashion expert to notice it.

But Hae Jin knew that the two boy who just left was different than the other rich kids of Jeguk High. He heard about them from his cousins or from his friends, even though not often. But from the minimum story that he heard, the impression was not good.

“I thought there should be three of them?” He murmured.

“What?” His aunt snapped her head to him, Hae Jin shook his head not wanting to worry his aunt more. “Are you hungry? Do you want to have lunch? You haven’t had anything since yesterday morning.”

Yesterday morning, the day when he was called to the principal office, even before the class started. Panicking and having adrenaline rush after failing to find his brother-like cousin that failed to go home the night before.

Yesterday morning, when his world came tumbling down.

“No! You should eat, Imo! After this guest, I think you can slip to get something to eat in the banquet hall.” He offered.

“Okay, you should eat after that.” His aunt caressed his cheek, another tears flowed on her eyes, her lips quivered. She had to bite her lips from breaking to a sob, which made the lips bursted.

After bowing to the last guest, his aunt left him and he sank to the floor. Finally feeling the fatigue, he rested his back to the wall behind him and for the first time that day, he looked at the deceased table at the front of the room.

The white flowers, the praying necessities, the food, the incense and the picture. The picture of his beloved cousin. His stricken face was just like how he remembered with the lips pulled into thin line and his sad eyes behind the thick frame that was looking back at him.

“Why did you do it, Kyung Soo-ya?” He whispered.

After a few minutes of brooding, he leaned his head back to the wall again. His eyes scanned the room and fell to the banquet hall where the guests enjoyed the funeral dish and socialise. The two rich boys were on a table at the outermost of the room. One of them was enjoying the dish while the others, the one that was quieter was fidgeting.

Hae Jin furrowed deeper when he saw the quiet boy stole a few glances towards him. Something was off about it, but he could not pinpoint what.

“How can you still eat at times like this?” Ha Neul screamed whispered to Kim Bum.

“It’s a courtesy during funeral. I’m being polite!” Kim Bum said, a slight smile formed as he enjoyed a bowl of kimchi jjiggae.

Ha Neul’s jaw dropped, “Don’t you feel guilty at all?!” He shouted a bit loud.

Kim Bum felt like his heart thrown out of his rib cage, “Ha Neul-a! Shut the up!” He barked, looking around and relief that no one was within their hearing range.

Ha Neul’s eyes bewildered, his breath started to pick up as his anger rose. “I can’t do this anymore. I have to go!” He stood up and stormed out of the room.

“What!? ! Kajika!!” Kim Bum abruptly stood, almost stumbling in the process. He scurried to catch up with his friend.

Hae Jin jerked witnessing the banter that he could not hear, but from the body language alone he knew that something was going on. He stood up awkwardly, fighting the tingling sensation in his leg due to sitting for too long, and intended to run after the two boys. But a few guest and his aunt stopped him and by the time he finished his duty, the two boys were long gone.

Back to a mansion in Pyeongchangdong, a house that was so big that they could slip in it without anyone noticing. Except for the security guards that opened the gate for them.

A black Audi A8 roamed from the gate and swiftly stopped in front of the fountain. Kang Ha Neul jumped from the driver’s seat and stormed to the front door. A few seconds later Kim Bum climbed out of the passenger seat and ran behind his friend’s trail. Fear was across his face, contrast to the anger sporting on Ha Neul’s.

The door in the second largest bedroom of the house flung opened. The room was dark as the large window on the side of the room was covered with blind curtains, no light from outside of the house could come in. The smell of alcohol immediately attacked the two boys as they entered.

“I can’t believe this, that !” Ha Neul shouted as he stormed to the window and jerked the curtain open.

The sun immediately bursted inside the room, showering it with lights that was blinding due to the sudden change. The window was a floor-to-ceiling glass window that overseeing the lawn, hence the massive amount of sunlight that instantly uncovering the state of the room.

Bottles of all kinds of hard liquor that can be named scattered around the room, most of them were empty. The bed was still tidy as if no one slept on it, yet a boy laid on the carpet not far from the window. A half empty Jack Daniel was still on his hand, he flinched when a sudden light attacked his eyes.

“Get up, !!” Ha Neul kneeled beside him and grabbed him by the collar. “You drank!!???” He shouted in disbelief.

Kim Bum hurriedly closed the bedroom door, making sure not one maid or staff heard them. He then ran to pull Ha Neul from the drunk boy. Nothing good would happen if Ha Neul was not being held.

“Ha Neul-a! Calm down!” Kim Bum bellowed.

Ha Neul swatted him, sending Kim Bum to the floor. “Get away, Bum-a! This guy needs a proper beating. Get up Min Ho, you bastard! Why aren’t you in the funeral!” He shook Min Ho’s collar.

Min Ho lazily opened his eyes, “Ha Neul! My Bestfriend! My so-called conscience! Wasseyo!?” He smiled drunkenly.

“Changsingcareyo!! Wake up, Idiot!! I told you to clean up and get ready for the funeral!! And instead you drank and got drunk!” Ha Neul shook Min Ho again, yet after a few failed attempts he gave up after giving one final push.

“Don’t you even feel guilty at all? He’s our friend!” Ha Neul paced in front of Min Ho, Kim Bum’s eyes followed his movement, speechless about the whole thing.

“Who is?” Min Ho lazily asked as he shifted his sitting position, “Ow! You mean the four eyes loser?” He chuckled mockingly.”He’s not our friend, I don’t even know his name.”

“It’s Do Kyung Soo!! And you should know it if you came to the funeral with us. Three years you messed with him, yet you don’t bother to know his name!?” Ha Neul asked in disbelief.

“It keeps us from being emotional.” Kim Bum coldly explain.

“Shut it Bum-a! Not you too!? Enough is enough, guys! Your game has gone too far, look what you did?” Ha Neul bellowed exasperatedly. “And none of you felt guilty? Is this who you really are?”

Min Ho scoffed, attracting the attention of the other two boys. He clumsily stood up and tried to steady his stance for a few seconds before hobbled to a door that led to his bathroom, “Apparently that’s not what you think when you laugh your off when I show you the picture in the class mailing list.”

Ha Neul’s eyes reddened, “I was drunk.”

“But you laugh nonetheless!” Min Ho pointed his index finger while still clutching the Jack Daniels. “So that means, behind this self-righteous act, you secretly enjoying the fun. Stop pretending to be morally straight Ha Neul-a, just because your dad and your granddad and everybody in your family tree were prosecutors, doesn’t mean you’re a saint.”

“Min Ho-ya!?” Kim Bum yelled, he thought Min Ho had gone too far.

Which apparently agreed by Ha Neul, since he was already marching to his friend and punched him in the face. Sending the bottle of whiskey to fly across the room, shattered at one of the corner, while the boy plunged helplessly to the floor.

“Did you push him, ?” Ha Neul’s tone was threatening, looking down at his friend.

“Mwo?” Min Ho said, sounding more scared than offended.

“Ha Neul-a!” It was his turned to be chided by Kim Bum.

“Oh Shut up, Bum-a! I know you were asking this on your mind too!” Ha Neul faced Kim Bum briefly before looking back at Min Ho. “What were you doing at school at that time of the night?” Ha Neul repeated.

Min Ho chuckled, “Ha Neul-a, do you know how scary our school at night is? Hell! It’s scary at day time too. I think it’s haunted.” He scrambled to find another bottle that was not empty.

“Answer me!!!” Ha Neul screamed in frustration before bending down to grabbed Min Ho by his collar, “Why did you ask us to go to school last night? What were you doing in the roof top? Did you push Kyung Soo from the roof??” He shook his friend hard.

“I don’t know!!!!!!” Min Ho screamed on top of his lung, irritated by the vibration of his whole body.

Ha Neul and Min Ho froze with faces just inches from each other, both faces were reddening and heavily breathing due to the massive amount of emotions. Kim Bum covered his opened mouth. This whole thing was too much for him, he just wanted to live life easily.

“What kind of answer is that? It’s either ‘Yes’ or ‘No’?” Ha Neul’s voice started to crack, not only due to the scream fest but also because of the lump that was starting to form in his throat. “I told you three years ago, you both can do whatever you want, as long as you don’t kill anyone. But now, what’s happening now?”

“It doesn’t mean that Min Ho killed someone Ha Neul-a!” Kim Bum protested.

“Someone died, Bum-a! Are you stupid or did you just sleep during the whole funeral. That boy fell from the rooftop of our school. And he was standing on the edge of the rooftop when we found him.” Ha Neul stared sharply at Min Ho’s expression, trying to make out his thoughts. When he couldn’t, he let him go. “So tell me what we should believe in.”

“You can believe what you want to believe.” Min Ho staggered and threw himself on the bed.

“We believe that you’re innocent Min Ho-ya.” Kim Bum said that more to Ha Neul.

Ha Neul looked both of his friends alternately, considering the situation. He then sighed in defeat and made way to the door. “Speak for yourself.”

“Ha Neul-a! Ottika? We’re supposed to graduate together, go to the Army together, then go to the US for college. We’re supposed to rule the world together, remember?” Kim Bum pleaded desperately.

“If this is the world that you want to rule, I want out! Good Bye Bum-a, Good Bye Min Ho-ya!” Ha Neul said before he vanished from the room.

Kim Bum scoffed in disbelief, still refusing to accept the fact that their 18 years of friendship might be broken. He alternately looked at the boy on the bed and the door, not knowing what to do to mend the bond. When the boy looked like he passed out, Kim Bum decided to chase Ha Neul instead. At least he was sober and perhaps was easier to talk to.

So he left Min Ho alone.

Laying on the bed with one of his hand on top of his head.

Covering his eyes.

That were eliciting streamed of tears.

—o0o—

The second largest bedroom of the Lee Mansion in Pyeongchangdong located on the second story of the east wing of the building, with large window and a balcony that was overlooking the spacious and extremely neat lawn.

It was as big as a studio apartment, the bed area was separated with black-framed glass partition matched with the window and the door frame. Decorated in blue-grey colour themed and furnished with minimalist style furniture, its befitting of a room for the only male descendent of one of the most successful conglomerate of South Korea nowadays.

In front of the sleeping area was a sitting area, with a grey sofa, teal-coloured rug and a 50” LED flat screen  TV above an electric fireplace. The area was in front of the glass door to the balcony and facing a door that led to the en-suite bathroom.

At nine in the morning, the bed was tidy as if no one slept on it. The rest of the area was also strangely neat as if no one occupying the room even though the owner had finally arrive after years abroad. The activity was actually in the bathroom.

Where the sound of gagging rang through the empty and sound-proofed bedroom. A man was slouching in front of the white toilet, head inside the bowl while both hands clutching the side of it tightly as if holding for dear life.

He looked up, eyes bloodshot and watery due to the straining activity, a slight residue of the vomit still lingered on the side of his mouth, which he pulled into a thin line in the hopes of stopping the nausea. However not a minute after, his cheek blew as another batch of vomit threatened to come out.

Ducking his head again into the bowl, he shifted his sitting position and kneel. He didn’t want to stained his black sack and white turtle neck shirt.

After awhile, his left hand reached forward and jerked the handle, the sound of water flushing immediately followed. He looked up and closed the lid of the toilet, hoping that that was the last batch he had to send out that morning, well before he had his breakfast.

He stood up and wiped the liquid that was still on his mouth with the back of his hand. He then put his hand under the running warm water, enjoying the sensation as he brushed his rough hands a little longer than normally. Once he was done, he held the counter sink, something he needed to do to support his body weight, so he won’t collapsed from starvation or lack of blood sugar.

A knock came into his door, he snapped his head towards it.

“Young Master, they’re here. You are awaited in the study.” The sound of a man came from behind the door.

“Yes! I’ll be right there!” He answered, his voice was still croaked.

Clearing his throat several times, he stood straight up. He looked himself at the mirror and fixed his disheveled hair, wiped his mouth with a white towel and headed to the wardrobe. Opening one of the door, he grabbed a beige coat and a pair of leather glove.

It was in the middle of summer, so his attire might made him look like a crazy person.

But he didn’t care, when people see his hands they would think worse of him. Thank God the room was full air-conditioned and he was the kind of people who would never go to places without any cooler. Giving a once over on the full body mirror for the last time, he pulled the door open and strutted downstair, where the study was located.

A number of people in the black suit lined up on the hallway that led to the study. He could already hear his father voice talking to another persons, perhaps more than one people. He sighed, bracing himself for the dreaded conversation that he was about to have. He knew what kind of people inside the room who wanted to talk to him, lying would not be a wise option to take.

A man in early 40s turned to him, he had an iPad on one hand and a cellphone on the other. He smiled encouragingly as he nodded to the room, gesturing for the Young Master to enter the room,

“He’s coming Sir… there he is!!” He announced.

“Good! This is actually the witness, my son Lee Min Ho.” A voice from the room was heard, a voice he recognised as his father’s

The Young Master took a heavy sigh before taking long stride in the hallway and turned his heel into the room. Nodding to the man with iPad just before he entered the study, he was surprised to see the number of people in the room. A few bodyguards, his father and three people in a casual clothes; but he played it cool, remembering his father’s teaching to never show emotions.

He walked until he was beside his father and glanced briefly towards him. Being shorter than him almost a head away, he always found it funny yet amused by how much people respected his father, or rather fear him. The old man always had a no-bull attitude and saying everything as it is, that was probably why there was a strange atmosphere already in the room. He must have had said something cold and unsympathetic towards these people.

There were three people in front of him. The first one was the tallest, a man that might be two decades older than him yet had a body as fit as he was. The man had a small yet sharp eyes that made him felt like he could never lie to him.

The man in the middle was younger, maybe just a few years older than him. A few inches shorter than the first man, he was slimmer and didn’t look like a policeman. With a pretty face as that, he could easily be a model or actor, if only he would smile a bit and maybe took a bit of a nap to lessen the eye bag. He looked bored and agitated to be in that room.

Min Ho’s eyes fell on the third person in the room and he felt like the sound surrounding him was suddenly muted, the air out of his lung as he gazed at the girl in front of him. Scratched that, she was no longer a girl, she was now a woman. Even under the jeans and loose green army-coloured shirt, he could clearly see the curve beneath it.

“Annyeonghaesseyo, Lee Min Ho-ibnida” he said, bowing slightly and playing it cool.

The woman’s eyes met his and his heart dropped to the stomach. She was looking back at him, curiously. Studying him as if he was a new species. The eyes were full of curiosity and investigative as if she did not recognised who was standing in front of him.

Min Ho glanced to himself briefly, he smirked lightly, trying hard not to make his expression changed. Of course she would not recognize him. He cleaned up pretty well compared to four years ago. He shaved most of his facial hair and went to clean cut style nowadays. The long black coat was tossed to the garbage since the day he moved out of the mansion; and he bathed himself religiously, twice a day so, long gone were the days of smelling like wild animal.

Seeing how she innocently looked at him like she was looking some random dude in her workplace gave him mixed feeling. A part of him wanted her to recognize him, wondering what would be her reaction if she found out that she met him again after all those years. Would she be happy? Would she loath it?

But another part of him was glad that she didn’t. He always wanted to change for her, to be a better man and worthy to be by her side. And now he was. He was the heir of the richest man in the country, he was to lead a large corporation with businesses all over the world, and he was made into one of the iest man in South Korea. He wished that she wouldn’t know his past and thus willing to stay by his side.

He never had the chance to tell her his name. The only thing she would know about him was the name of his grandfather, which hopefully would easily be brushed as common name. And the only thing that stuck to him from his Donghwa time was Nanny Kim.

!

“She can not see Nanny Kim!!” Min Ho thought, he started fidgeting when the tallest man cleared his throat.

“Good morning, Lee Min Ho-shi! My name is Park Sung Woong, the team leader of Violence Team in Jong No precinct. This is my team. Inspector Jung Kyung Ho.” He gestured to the man beside him, “And Liutennant Park Shin Hye.”

His team bowed slightly.

“Liutenannt?!” Min Ho thought, a breeze of pride flowed inside his heart. “Deh! Annyeonghasseyo! What can I do for you?” was his answer to the policeman.

“We have several questions regarding to the incident in the construction site this morning. I understand that you were the one who found the victim.” Sung Woong said, Kyung Ho put his hands on his pocket while Shin Hye took out her little notebook and pen, like a diligent student that she was.

Min Ho smiled as he watched her from the corner of his eyes, trying to get his eyes fixated on the team leader when all he wanted was to look at her.

“Now! Now! I don’t think the word victim is appropriate here.” Lee Jong Woo, the Dad cut him off, “That man committed suicide, please don’t say he was a victim which insinuating for a murder or crime.”

Sung Woong lifted one corner of his mouth, attracting Min Ho’s attention. “Yeah, well! Saying the dead man or the dead body was a bit disrespectful for my taste. So with the disclaimer from Lee Daepyo, I think we all in this room agreed that for now there was no crime happened even though we used the terms ‘victim’” he gestured an air quote.

“For now?” Min Ho’s brows furrow.

“The investigations is not concluded yet, so we can’t really say that this is a crime or not.” Jung Kyung Ho said matter-of-factly.

“Are you implying that I did something? I found him hung in the area that would become the centre of the mall. How can that be a murder?” Min Ho asked.

“The autopsy is still on going, so the chances of he was already dead before he was hung is still a probability.” Kyung Ho’s expression was as cold as saying ‘I need to pee’.

Sung Woong let out his left hand, stopping his subordinates from talking. “We are not implying anything, but yes, we would really like to know what happen before you found him.”

“Why don’t we sit?” Lee Jong Woo gestured them to the sitting area, “Can we get you anything? Coffee? Tea? Secretary Choi, call Butler Kim —.”

“No!!!” Min Ho exclaimed, sending everybody to jolt and stared at him. “I don’t think drink is necessary, this won’t take long and they don’t seem thirsty.” He sent a death glare to the police men, and peered at the policewoman.

Sung Woong forehead creased a little, he looked at his subordinates in confusion. “Yes! We’re fine. Let’s just sit.” He coughed a little because his throat had been dried for awhile now.

“Well! I want some tea. Secretary Choi!!” Jong Woo said while sitting down.

“What do you want, Abeoji?” Min Ho said rather panicking.

“I’m calling Butler Kim to get me some tea.” Jong Woo stared at his son as if he’s gone mad.

“I’ll get it for you.” And before the Dad could say anything he was already out of the room, leaving the people inside it chuckled nervously.

Min Ho ran in the direction of the kitchen, bumping Secretary Choi on his way back from the same place. When he abruptly opened the kitchen, an old woman shrieked as she protected the cup of tea on the tray she was bringing.

“Doryeonim!! I almost dropped this tea!” Nanny Kim shouted.

“Sh! Sh! Sh!!” Min Ho said in panic while glancing over his shoulder. “Let me take this. What ever you do, DON’T come out from the kitchen and especially DON’T come to the study. Even when my Dad calls, arrasoyo?!” Min Ho scream-whispered.

“Why? What happened?” Nanny Kim whispered with him even though not knowing why.

“I’ll tell you later, for now please do as I say.” Min Ho grabbed the tray and carefully took it to the study, should he spill any of it, his Dad would have request ‘Butler Kim’ to clean it up, being a clean freak and all.

The three policemen and his dad looked at him like he was one of the seventh wonders of the world when he put down the cups in front of his Dad. Min Ho grinned in the hopes to make them think that what he was doing was completely normal.

“So, what was the question?” He said as he leaned back to the armchair.

“Can you tell us what happened leading to you finding the vic… I mean the man who committed suicide?” Sung Woong said, not caring that two of his subordinates eyeing him curiously.

“I…” Min Ho hesitated, “I couldn’t sleep. Becoming a director is stressing me more than I thought. The opening of the mall is supposed to be my responsibility, so I figured maybe strolling inside it can give me a peace of mind. So yeah! I went there and of course I found it since it was in the centre of the building.” Min Ho answered.

“Hmm… that’s very uncommon, don’t you think? Usually when people are in stress they go fishing, or clubbing or to see a shrink?” Kyung Ho said calmly contradicting the satire content of his words.

Min Ho turned to him, watching him sharply like a hawk. “I was trying to impress my Dad. This is my first assignment as the Director and my Dad is a really hard-to-please employer.” He shrugged.

Shin Hye stared at both men alternately, feeling the tension the two had built. Her gaze fell to the young new Director, correction, the hot and young new Director, she felt he was offended by Kyung Ho’s little comment but she gave him credit for being calm about it.

 

The young director was looking sharply at her sunbae, even though his lips was pulled into a slight smile, but his eyes exuded fierceness. It was like subtlety making a statement that he was not scared of any of them. She wondered whether he had something to hide like her sunbae was insinuating.

She ended up scanning the young Director, from his dark brown short hair, to his brown sharp eyes, to his tall pointed nose and his luscious lips. She could see why everybody was buzzing about him. He was surely handsome, tall and muscular. His broad shoulder and bulky arms were the epitome of masculinity, the fact that he was rich only ticked another box on the ‘hot’ check list.

The sound surrounding her suddenly muted, at first she thought it was because she was fixated to the handsome man sitting across her, yet feeling the air suddenly thinning she knew it wasn’t because she was gawking at some guy.

The room was sweetly air-conditioned yet beads of cold sweat suddenly formed on her forehead. The air slowly leaving her lung making her slowly suffocated. She gasped softly trying hard to cover her episode from the rest of the people in the room, its impossible to let them know what was happening to her.

Luckily her condition was not getting worse, it was uncomfortable and painful yet she knew she would not pass out like the time in the empty house.

Empty house!?

This feeling was exactly like that time, “What’s happening?” She wondered as she looked around to sense the source of her discomfort.

She knew ‘they’ were not in the room, she always had a very strong sense that her condition happened even before ‘they’ entered the room she was in. Jimseung used to call her a ghost radar, which enabled them to avoid any encounter so he wouldn’t have his episode himself.

So she knew exactly that the spirits was not in the room, “But where?” She thought, bewilderedly looking at the big glass window. “And that feeling… it’s the same feeling as when I was in the empty room.” She furrowed, still gasping softly for air. “Sseolmma?”

“Lieutennant Park!!” The sound of her team leader had her jerked awake.

She looked around and realised that three men were looking at her, one in disgust, one in concern and one looked curious. But the young hot director was already missing from his seat. She wondered when he left.

“Deh!?” Shin Hye exclaimed, slowly feeling that her surrounding was back to normal.

“I asked Lee Depyeo permission for you to stay here to interview the staff in this house.” Park Sung Woong repeated his statement, his brow furrow looking at Shin Hye’s sweat then he looked around wondering whether the AC had been turned off.

“Deh?” Shin Hye deadpanned, “Deh!!” She immediately answered after regaining all of her senses. Her hand instinctively reached for her forehead and belatedly realised that it was drenched.

Lee Jong Woo shook his head, “I don’t really see why, but if you think its necessary, do as you wish Team Leader Park. Honestly I’m beginning to regret to ever starting this investigation.” He said as he raised from his seat. “Just give me your word that this will not be on the 9 pm news.” He said mentioning the famous news slot in the national television.

“Hopefully there’s nothing news worthy in this, Daepyonim.” Sung Woong said, following him to stand up and raise his hand for a goodbye handshake.

Lee Jong Woo looked at the hand lazily, glanced for awhile towards the police and shook his hand, “Believe me, when it comes to Lotte Group, even the death of our neighbour’s cat is newsworthy.”

Kyung Ho snorted, belatedly controlled it as it was not supposed to be that loud. The two men shaking hands snapped their heads to him. He hung his head, not wanting to expose some more of his emotions.

“I hope this is the last time I see you all in my house. I have to go now, something needs my son’s and I’s attention.” Lee Jong Woo said as he made his way towards the door.

“Where did the Son go?” Shin Hye whispered curiously.

Her two sunbaes turned to her in confusion, “He felt sick and went out of the room, he actually was feeling sick since morning.” Sung Woong said in annoyance. “Were you zoned out during the whole conversation?” His tone was getting high.

Shin Hye furrowed, she started breathing heavily in panicked. Getting caught for mentally slacking off during work hours by your boss was not something that she wanted. She glanced at her note and widened her eyes when she saw it was full of notes.

It stated about him not having able to sleep, he wanted to impress his father and because he was new in the country and the city he wanted to get the feel of the location. So he went to the construction site at dawn because he thought it would be quiet and he could find it peaceful to think.

He went straight to the atrium of the mall where a large void that go through all the way to the fifth floor of the mall located. In front of the future fountain that surrounded the elevator, he saw something dangling on the edge of the railing of the first floor and thought it was the papers that was used to cover the building material.

As he got nearer and the moonlit shone through the glass ceiling, it was clear that the dangling thing was much heavier than paper as it did not swayed by the gushing wind. He immediately called Secretary Choi once he noticed what it was. Afterwards he just sat a few meters from it, as it was his first time to see dead body.

He did not see anyone around the area since it was still a long way from the start of working hours and he did not hear anything out of ordinary either except for a few scratches that he thought probably were rats or cats which was usual in a construction site.

Shin Hye read her notes all over again, amazed that she could still took it thoroughly even though she knew that she was in turmoil at the same time. Kyung Ho stared at her with intensity that could burn her, he looked like he had a lot of question, but against it.

“So, like we just discussed… Inspector Jung and I will head to the headquarter to get the forensic and autopsy report. You stay here and dig around the staff to get any information about the family. Let’s see if anybody dislike the family or any other motive that would make this thing more than it appeared to be.” Sung Woong whispered lightly.

Shin Hye frowned, “Do you think there’s more to it?” She said softly.

“As a good detective you should always be open to every possibility.” Kyung Ho said, for the first time to Shin Hye that day. It was rather cold, but it was enough to surprise her. “Aish! I know you’re new, but don’t make it too obvious will you?” He walked away without another glance.

Shin Hye’s jaw dropped, there goes any hope for having a great mentor. Sung Woong scoffed, he trailed behind him after patting Shin Hye’s shoulder’s a few time. The gesture did not ease her foul mood, so as she sighed heavily she walked out of the room and headed to the staff room.

Interviewing the staff of the house was not as easy as the team leader made it out to be. After two hours of head-shook, tight lip and deadpan expression, she finally accepted that the only thing that she would ever get from them was that the heir was extremely hot and quiet towards them. Which in their eyes was not a bad thing compare to the strict father who would not hesitat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter