Against All Odds

The Beauty and the Beast
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Last Chapter Recap:

Donghwa was a village 8 hours from Seoul. It is surrounded by a forest where a big castle stood. Villagers believed that there was something in the forest that was scary and sounded like animal. Park Shin Hye was a senior in Donghwa highschool, she was a nerd that often being bullied because she had a father who, the villagers believed, was crazy. She dreamed to go to school in Seoul, her hometown. Park Sang Myun was Shin Hye's dad, he built and fixed furniture and transported it to the Donghwa castle. An old woman lived there, Kim Hae Sook, who served a master who had a bad temper, very strong and had a bad and strong odor. Park Min Woo was the son of the owner of the only hotel in the village, he befriended with Park Hae Jin who was a reporter from Seoul who came to Donghwa every two weeks. Min Woo had a crush on Kim Ji Won, the town hottie who sadly was interested in Hae Jin. Hae Jin was the first person in Donghwa who was nice to Shin Hye without prejudice, she developed a crush on him and confessed, but Hae Jin rejected. Park Shin Hye accepted the job to substitute Kim Hae Sook while she was getting treatment, but the master hated her and treated her badly. Min Woo was jealous of Shin Hye - Hae Jin friendship and bullied her for that. Hae Jin defended Shin Hye but she refused and asked him to stay away from her. Shin Hye ran away from the mansion after a terrifying night and ended up in Wolves Village, she was chased by a few men who recognise her as Park Sang Myun’s daughter. When they were about to attack her, something saved her. The young master of the castle saved her. She asked him to teach her to fight. She called him Jimseung. Shin Hye trained with Jimseung for months and befriended him in the process. The seniors went on a school trip, an incident happen that forced Shin Hye to use her fighting skill. Her friends were amused and all of her bullies said sorry to her. Jimseung had particular interest to Shin Hye’s talisman. In the night of the school trip Shin Hye accidentally brought it with her. She came home when Jimseung was having an episode. Everything was calm once she was home with the talisman.

—-o0o—-

The sky was pitch black, as it always the darkest before the dawn. The trees froze without any wind, without the rustling sound of the leaves and the absence of night animals, the forest was very quiet. There was only one source of light in that darkness, a window of the mansion in the middle of the forest. The rest of the windows of the big house were as black as the sky.

Shin Hye closed the door to the kitchen behind her, she carefully stepped into the living room with a tray on her hands. A large bowl and a mug were on top of the tray, smoke was coming out of them. She stopped in front of the living room and looked at the sofa, her brows creased expressing her worries.

She tried to be as stealthy as possible as she made way to the coffee table. When she saw that Jimseung’s eyes were closed she silently put the tray in the coffee table and sat beside it, observing the man that was now sleeping like a baby.

Just a few minutes ago they were both in his bedroom. He ran amok like he was someone else. She was almost die because of him strangling her, then he sobbed like a three year old child in guilt. All in the span of ten minutes.

Her neck and her shoulder was still throbbing, she could not help but to massage them but oddly it was not the first thing on her mind at that time. His odd behaviour was more of her concern, the way he changed into something else and forgot about his surroundings, was frightening and sad at the same time. Even for her, a stranger.

He flinched a little and opened his eyes, Shin Hye sat straight up expecting the unexpected. But he was back being the normal Jimseung, not really a gentle or kind man but at least not a loose canon like before. 

“You’re up? Here have some hot tea, I’ll clean your wound.” She said while helping him to sit.

She handed him the smoky tea and took the tray. Taken a seat beside him, she took a towel from the tray and dipped it into the hot water in the bowl. She dabbed the damped towel to his cheek and forehead.

Jimseung sat slouching on the sofa, his head was on the head rest as he let her wiped his face with a warm towel. It felt comforting since his face was almost frozen because of the winter wind that struck his room last night. He looked at her, feeling guilty for what just happened but could not say anything.

“You should be the one who’s treated…” he muttered weakly. 

He raised his right hand and tugged a strain of her hair that was loosely fell. It uncovered the bruises on her neck. Shin Hye felt his stare was burning her, so she avoided his eyes and focused on dipping the towel.

“Gwenchana?” His voice cracked, his face seemed like he was begging for her reaction.

Shin Hye nervously nodded her head while squeezing the towel to drain the water. She tried to look fine but she could not hold the tears that left her right eye. She sniffed as she put the towel to his forehead again, this time she could no longer avoid his gaze.

Their eyes met and his hand grabbed hers, stopping her from wiping the sweat off of him. Shin Hye felt her breath was getting heavier, she thought another spirit was coming but she was wrong. It was his intense stare that drove her breathless.

“I’m sorry… for hurting you.” He squeezed her hand to convince her.

“No.. no…” she took out her hand from his, “I’m! Sorry… It’s my fault, I should’ve left my pouch like you asked me to, but I forgot. It was so hectic yesterday morning and I thought I was late, so I just ran to school.” She blabbered as she fidgeted on her seat.

“Thank you…” a weak smile formed in between his moustache and beard.

Shin Hye’s jaw dropped, “Bo ga?”

“For rushing home, you’ve ruined your favourite shirt.” He pointed a hole in her sleeve.

Shin Hye observed herself and realised there was a hole on her sleeve probably because it was stuck on a twig. But his memory and his sharp eyesight was the one that struck her more. She scoffed, “How can you remember some random thing like that?” She tugged her grey shirt and chuckled.

He followed suit, her smile was contagious. But it was not long when he turned gloomy again, “Sorry you had to experience that. You must think I’m crazy.” He waited for her response, “You’re right, I’m crazy…” he said in defeat when she did not responded.

“I know you can see ghosts…” her statement silenced him, “Some people could react the way you do when they experience what you’ve been experiencing. “ she looked at him sternly, “Why didn’t you say anything to anyone before?”

Jimseung’s eyes widened as realisation came to him, “How did you find out?”

Shin Hye smiled, “Your particular interest to my pouch.”

He sat straight for being interested, “So it really does have an effect to me? That night when you were attacked by the robber from Wolf village. I had an episode, that ‘thing’ came and I lost my mind.”

“I know” she muttered.

“Somehow your pouch came to my hand, I don’t know how it came to my hand but I started to regain my sense aftwerwards. I could still see ‘it’ but the effect on me was not as bad.” He squinted his eyes trying to remember what happened that night. “That’s when I realised what had happened to you and went outside to get you.”

“Why?” Shin Hye looked at him, feeling touched.

“Bichoso! How could I let a girl go at night time like that? I would’ve sent you home the next morning.” He snapped.

Shin Hye pouted, but soon curled into a smile remembering the beginning of their friendship. 

“What’s that? Why do you always carry it around? And how do you know that a ghost was here that night?” Jimseung bombarded.

“I know, because I can sense them.” Jimseung’s face enlightened, “I notice that every time I sense them, you would have an attack not long after. Between that and your interest to my pouch. I kinda guess it.” She opened Jimseung’s left fist that was still clenching to the blue pouch.

Jimseung looked startled realising that he was holding it all along.

“This is my protective charm, my grandmother gave it to me when I decided that I would work here.” She caressed the pouch on his palm.

“How does it feel when you sense it?” He observed her face.

Shin Hye smiled bitterly, “Like I’m about to die.” Jimseung’s face fell, “I couldn’t breath, I feel my surrounding is freezing, my heart would beat too hard and too fast. It feels like being strapped in a speed train, you feel scared but you know you can’t do anything to make it go away. All you can do is pray that it will leave you alone.” She felt she would break down just explaining her experience.

“And you had to go through that everyday alone here.” Another guilt struck him, she shrugged her shoulder. “So you can only sense them, but you can’t see them or communicate with them?”

She furrowed, “They say I could sense its emotion. Its like they’re like us, they have feeling like anger or sad or desire. The stronger the emotion, the stronger and more painful the effect it had on me.”

“Who are they?” He slouched back to the backrest.

“Iso.. experts.” She teased. “What about you? What do you feel when it happened?”

Jimseung heaved a deep sigh and looked at the ceiling, “They’re scary… well not all of them, most of them are. They’re dark but pale, sometimes they bleed abnormally, sometimes their eyes are black void. Five robbers are less scarier than one ghost.” He shuddered.

“Most… so there are some that are not scary and doesn’t make you loose your mind?” A line appeared between her brows.

“O!” He nodded several times, “But not much, doesn’t really count as a reliever.” He argued.

“I wonder if how you see them also based on their emotion, their energy…” she trailed off and then shook her head. “Have you always been like this?” 

He nodded, “They say I often talk to myself when I was little, but you know how little kids like to talk to themselves or have imaginary friends. So nobody really paid attention to it.”

“They? Who are they?” She asked.

“Iso… experts.” He teased back, Shin Hye let out her tongue. “Anyway, Not only after I went to the US for college that it got bad. I had several episodes there that my family decided to take me home and put me in a psychiatric ward. When it didn’t work, they exiled me here. Which I think made it worst because of that particular spirit.” He said once his chuckle subsided.

“Yeah, he’s very strong…” her eyes went around as if frightened, “Do you know who he is? I think he used to live here…” she probed.

“Thaat!” he paused for effect, “Was my grandfather, I used to like him very much but I hadn’t seen him since I was five. He took his own life here, in this house, in his bedroom.”

“The bedroom in west wing.” They said in unison, Jimseung’s eye lit up.

“No wonder his energy is that strong… Do you know what he wants? Do you think he’s trying to say something to you? I mean he obviously like you when you’re a child, right?” The nuts and bolts in her brain was starting to turn.

“If he likes me, why is he that scary in front of me? Because of him, I can never go to his bedroom, or bathroom!” He snapped.

“Mwo!?” She could not help but smirk, “Is that why? You never takes a bath?” She giggled.

Jimseung’s face tensed, “Sikkeoleoun!! How can I take a bath if I throw temper every time I stepped in?!” He crossed his arms on his chest.

She giggled harder, though he was sulking but her laugh eased him a little. “The reason I was asking is because last night I hear voices…” she said after she controlled her laugh.

“Voices?” He released his arms, end of sulking.

“O! Last night I almost gave up, when I got into the house I felt like drowning and I stumbled there in the foyer.” She looked over to the foyer behind her, the feeling she had the night before washed over her, bringing her nape hair to raise. “Usually I would run away with the pouch to a safe place, like my bedroom. But last night I came charging right to the heart of the energy. And for the first time, I heard voices.”

“Do you think it was my grandfather’s?” Jimseung stared at her in concern, knowing how much suffering she had last night.

Shin Hye shook her head, “I don’t know. It never happened to me…”

“How long do you have this power?” His gaze was soft.

She scoffed, “You’re making it sound like I’m somekind of superhero.” Jimseung shrugged, “I think I was born with it. It’s a hereditary thing from my mother’s family. I was being trained to control it, but I stopped…” she looked away sadly.

“Why?” Jimseung furrowed, sensing a new sadness on her face.

It was her turn to shrug, “It just happened that way.” She looked away and stared blankly at one of the large window. “Look it’s sunrise”

Jimseung followed her and stared at the sunrise through the window. The greyish sky was above the trees with a brush of orange from the sunlight. A flock of birds flew from one of the corner of the window to the other. Somehow it gave peace to the two persons who just experienced frightening night together. They both exhaled in unison.

“You should get some sleep” Shin Hye tidied the sofa and coffee table. “It’s better that you sleep here, your bedroom would be to cold.”

Jimseung followed her every move with his sight, looking disappointed. “Wae?”

Shin Hye peered at him, “You haven’t had a good night sleep last night. Have some rest and lets go out once you’re awake.”

His face lit up, “Go? Outside of this house? Where?” He relented when Shin Hye pushed him to lay down and pulled blanket over him.

Shin Hye stood up with tray on her hands, “To see an expert.” She then made way out of the living room. “Sleep!” She instructed.

“Ya!! You’re not telling me to sleep because you want to as well, right? He shouted.

Shin Hye turned around with a sheepish grin on her face and scurried back to the kitchen. Jimseung scoffed and fixed his position on the sofa. He brought his palms under his head for comfort, one was still holding the pouch. He stared at the ceiling blankly for awhile, recalling the night before.

He tensed up by the feeling he had from remembering the scene, but once Shin Hye’s face came across his mind, telling him that she knew about his ability, he smiled in relief. He took one deep breath before closing his eyes. The sound of the birds chirping, lulled him to sleep.

—-o0o—-  

It was well after noon when Shin Hye reached her grandmother’s house. They woke up late morning, had a quick breakfast and departed from the mansion. Since it was his first time in a couple of years out of the mansion, Shin Hye needed sometime to dress him properly for the society. She could not let him out in the open looking like a homeless, especially when he had a very bad odor yet still refused to step into the bathroom.

She told him to brush his rough and oily hair, because she could not stand to touch it, and put it in a pony tail. She gave him a pair of new shirt, pants and parka with hoodies. A pair of clean boots and a scarf to complete the look. A few spray of men’s perfume soften his scent, in the end he still looked awful but at least he won’t attract people’s attention too much.

They decided to take a taxi instead of a bus, with a few more dollars they managed to keep the driver quiet which was better than to handle accusing look or curious murmurs from the bus passengers. The driver tried his best to refrain from commenting, but by the speed that he used for taking them to grandmother’s house, it was clear that he wanted the two passengers off of his car very very soon.

The house was exactly the same as a few months ago, the last time she visited. Only now the trees were withering and at some parts the residue of snow from a few days ago was still around. Kim Young Ae was cleaning snow on the pathway of her home with a shovel. She looked up when she felt that someone was approaching. A taxi halted a few meters and two passengers got out from it, a young girl and a tall man.

Kim Young Ae squinted her eyes, but brightened almost immediately when she recognised the girl. She waved vigorously while propping the shovel on the wall of her house. The girl ran excitedly as she missed her grandmother dearly. She stumbled on her for a hug.

“Shin Hye-ya! What a pleasant surprise! I haven’t seen you for months. How are you?” Kim Young Ae caressed her granddaughter lovingly.

“Halmoni, Pogoshiposoyo!!” Shin Hye cried, “There’s so many things that I want to tell you.”

“Let me look at you!” Kim Young Ae let go of Shin Hye and cupped her face with both hands, “You looked beautiful! Fresh and glowing” She exclaimed while brushing Shin Hye’s hair to the back and accidentally uncovered the bruise on her neck. “Shin Hye! What happened?!”

Shin Hye grabbed her collar and covered her wound instantly, “Aniyeo, I’m fine. I’ll tell you later Halmoni. Are you busy, I need to ask you something.”

Kim Young Ae furrowed a little, “Of course you can, you know I’ll always have time for you. You’ve grown so much this past months, you’re a woman now! Are you here with your dad? How is he?” She tried to hide her curiosity

Shin Hye blushed from her praise but shook head, “Appa is good, he’s in Busan for a business. I’m here with a friend.” She looked over to Jimseung.

Kim Young Ae’s smile faded a little as she followed her grand daughter's sight. She studied the tall man that was wearing all black, full facial hair and sharp eyes. The man bowed politely but did not move forwards. Kim Yong Ae responded with a nod.

“Gurae! Let’s come inside. Its cold.” She side-hugged her grand daughter and guided her to the house. After a few steps she halted and turned around. “You too, young man! Don’t worry I won’t be bothered by your scent.” She exclaimed, her stare was as sharp as a knife.

Jimseung stepped on the terrace of the house, he looked around the old house cautiously. It looked very old and fragile while the inside of the house is full of wooden furniture. If that house had ghost in it and he had an episode there, he would end up destroying the whole house. 

“Park Shin Hye!” He whispered to get her attention. Shin Hye came out from the house, “I’ll wait here.”

“Wae?” She thought it was cold outside and better inside the house.

“Nothing, I just think it would be safe for everybody if I stayed here.” He said, his tone was unsure and unconfident.

Shin Hye looked at him sympathetically, but it was Halmoni who answered. “Just come in, Young Man. There’s nothing here. You’ll be safe.”

Jimseung’s jaw dropped, his eyes widened as realisation hit him. Shin Hye silently giggled, amused by his reaction. “Experts!” She mouthed as moving her thumb to point her grandmother.

They stepped into a room that was full of antique wooden box, a low table was in the middle of the room with burned incense on top of it, several sheets of yellow paper were scattered on the ground near the table, an antique brush and ink bottle just beside it. Shin Hye sat in front of the table while Jimseung sat in front of the door, still very nervous about being inside the house.

Halmoni scurried from the kitchen with a tray of hot teas and rice cake, she put the tray on the table and sat crosslegged on the other side of table, opposite of Shin Hye. She cheerfully put the cups near everybody and sat the tray aside. Then she looked at the two youngsters in front of her.

“Cha!! Drink… warmed up yourself.” She smiled warmly, Jimseung felt more at ease by her friendliness. “So what can I do to help you both?”

Shin Hye held her cup with both hands, trying to absorb all of the warmth from the porcelain. She started explaining what had happened the night before, what she experienced but left out everything about Jimseung. 

Kim Young Ae’s face brightened at the end of the story, “Cheongmall? You heard voices now?”

“Deh! Is that a good thing or a bad thing?” Shin Hye was suspicious of her grandmothers’ intention.

“Of course its a good thing, you’ve advanced yourself, dear!” She exclaimed happily.

Shin Hye rolled her eyes, “I don’t want to excel myself, Halmoni! I want it gone!” She sulked.

“Shin Hye-ya… I’ve always told you that you can never get rid of it, you can only control it and manage yourself so you won’t be bothered by it. Learn to live with it. Now that you’ve improved, its a sign that you will be able to control it soon.” Kim Young Ae grabbed her grand daughter’s hand, her eyes were tearing as she was so happy.

“You mean, that kind of ability can not be removed, no matter how disruptive it is to a person?” Jimseung suddenly spoke.

Shin Hye looked at him sympathetically while her grandmother turned serious, “Come closer young man!” She instructed, “let me take a good look at you.”

Jimseung hesitated for awhile but eventually he scooted over to Shin Hye’s side. Kim Young Ae softly smiled as she offered her hand. He slowly raised his right hand and placed it on top of hers. The old lady furrowed a little looking at his hand.

“It must’ve been very hard for you.” She looked at him sympathetically, “I wish I could be much of a help for you, but I wasn’t the one who gave you this gift.” 

Both Shin Hye and Jimseung looked at her quizzically, “What do you mean given? I thought I was like this since I was small? They said I use to talk to a nobody when I was a child!” Jimseung.

Kim Young Ae bursted a laugh, “That’s just you being a child.” She chuckled, but instantly stopped laughing when both of her guests did not follow along. “I could not take away what’s given… Shin Hye’s gift was given by God, so it could only be taken away by God. You… your gift was given by someone else, only he or she could take it away.” She explained.

Shin Hye and Jimseung looked at each other, “You mean, he was cursed?” She highlighted.

“That depends on how you look at it, like I said… this could be a gift if you know how to control it, how to live with it.” Kim Young Ae said.

“The pouch! Why am I better when I have it.” Jimseung took out the blue pouch from his pocket and showed it to the granny.

She chuckled again, the youngster looked at each other again in confusion. “I made that up, that’s just an old coin from my grandmother. I do gave a pray on the yellow sheet. But what’s inside your heart is what matter! I gave that to Shin Hye to boost her confidence, to have some kind of sanctuary so she would think that she would be safe. But its not the talisman that made her safe, its her brain and her heart.” Kim Young Ae explained.

“It can’t be, I didn’t know what it was the first time it happened to me, the first time that thing protected me.” Jimseung persisted.

Kim Young Ae shrugged, she pursed her lips, “Well maybe something else happen that night…” she stared at one youngster to the other.

Jimseung’s face fell, his heart thrown to the stomach as he felt hopeless. He was hoping that he would find an answer to his disease, a way to overcome the frequent incident of him loosing control of his temper and senses, so that he could live normal again like everybody else that he knew. But now that hope was gone, the only person that might be able to help him, that would understand him stated that there was no way that he could be cured.

The rest of the conversation was not of his interest, most of the time he would just spaced out and stared blankly at the window that was facing the mountains. Shin Hye would occasionally studied him in concern but there was nothing that she could do to make him feel better. While Kim Young Ae, she looked rather peaceful as if knowing something that she did not share to the youngster. 

It was almost sunset when they were preparing to go home, Jimseung was already in the yard, sitting on the bench, feeling the winter air of the valley. It was a bit warm for that winter, so for everybody else it was a good time to be in the open. But Jimseung was too upset to enjoy anything, he just sat there watching his toes kicking the gravel. 

Shin Hye went out of the hut after helping her grandmother cleaning, he was the first thing she noticed when she passed the front door. A line appeared in between her eyebrows, looking at him in that state made her feel uneasy, she would rather see him angry but full of energy rather than upset and weak like that. She sighed for feeling helpless, she really wanted to help him but she did not know how.

“Shin Hye-ya!” She heard her grandmother’s voice, “You forgot these…” she saw her holding the blue pouch.

“But you said it was a fake.” Shin Hye was feeling bitter herself because of her grandmother’s little prank.

Kim Young Ae chuckled, “I never say it was a fake, it protect you because you believe it could. You gain confidence and courage and thus overcome your fear. If you still believe that this will protect you, it will.”

Shin Hye rolled her eyes, “Then you shouldn’t have told us that it was just make believe.”

“But then you will never grow! Take this and believe that it will protect you, but you know what have bigger power than believing in this talisman?” Kim Young Ae’s eyebrows raise, Shin Hye shook her head. “Love.”

“Deh?” Shin Hye furrowed, “I can control it if I fell in love with someone?” Hae Jin’s face came across her mind.

“Not just anybody, you have to love him with your heart, not with your brain. Remember today I said that you’re a woman? Well.. people say a girl becomes a woman when they came to know love.” Kim Young Ae sight was way across Shin Hye, to someone who was sitting on the bench.

Shin Hye quizzically frowned at her grandmother and followed her line of sight, her jaw dropped when she realised who the old lady was looking at. “Deh!?” She exclaimed in disbelief. “Are… are… you saying that I…him?” She stuttered unable to finish her unbelievable sentence.

Kim Young Ae raised her eyebrows, “What happened that night when he found your pouch? What happen between you and him?”

“Halmoni!! Don’t be so enigmatic, just tell me what you’re trying to say!” Shin Hye’s lips twirled.

“Hahaha! Just go!” She pushed her grand daughter to turn around and guide her to the bench, “You both need to overcome your fear, that’s the only way to make peace with your gift. Doing it together is much easier than alone, don’t you think?”

Shin Hye was listening to her grandmother’s last instruction, trying to decode every word. She fell silent for awhile as she was in deep thoughts. When realisation came to her, her face brightened up and she looked at her grandmother for confirmation. The elder nodded her head and smiled widely, she was proud of her grand daughter who came that day and by her own accord try to be better instead of avoiding the problem.

They hugged each other knowing that they might not see each other for awhile as she had something to do and determined to be successful at it. Shin Hye released her grand mother and held her hand, she turned to Jimseung with the widest smile.

“Jimseung, ka ja!” She exclaimed, the man furrowed at the sudden cheerfulness.

—-o0o—-

The bedroom in the west wing was the largest bedroom in the mansion, it was the master bedroom where the original owner of the house used to sleep in. Since for many years people stop coming into the bedroom and eventually people stop visiting the west wing, not many knew that the west wing had two bedrooms and a bathroom. The bedroom was so big, it had its own walk-in-closet and study.

Even the door to the master bedroom was bigger than every door in the mansion. It was double door that was double the size of normal door. It was carved very beautifully and at some part covered in gold. The carving was of the story of Achilles, the hero from Sparta who won many battles but failed to be together with his loved ones and even killed because of his ankle.

Shin Hye was able to find that out because she stood in front of the door for almost 15 minutes. It previously took even more just to climb the stair that led to that wing. The man beside him was of no help, he was as nervous as she was and did not motivate her to move faster or open the door.

“Are… you ready?” She looked at him. His face was stoic, as if his soul was drained out of his body. Shin Hye nudged him a little.

“O?!” He frowned but with the same blank stare, then he nodded like a robot.

“I’m opening it!” Shin Hye raised her right hand and put it on the handle.

“Chamkanman! Chamkanman!” He held her hand to stop her, Shin Hye was startled at the sudden kinship and intuitively looked at him. “What’s your radar says? Is he in there?” He looked at her in fear.

Shin Hye could not help to burst laughing, “No! Coast is clear.”

Jimseung heaved a deep sigh, he tightened his grip to Shin Hye’s hand. She felt her heart beat a little faster, even though she knew there was no spirit around. She found that odd and shook her head several times to get rid of the feeling. Jimseung pushed the handle down and the door creaked opened.

The smell of dust and old wood aded their senses, the room was dark so they could only see pitch black, but the smell gave uncomfortable feeling to both. They looked at each other for encouragement before stepping their foot inside the room, Jimseung pushed the door even further and left it ajar.

It took a while before their eyes were accustomed to the darkness. Shin Hye stepped further as she slowly could see in the darkness. She looked around and gulped for being intense.

The room was obviously much bigger than Jimseung’s. Right in front of the door, a shelf was standing covering the whole wall until the other side of the room. Books and antiques were displayed and photos were on top of the shelf. A big king size bed was in the middle of the room, complete with canopy and its mosquito net. There were nightstands on each side of the bed and a door beside the nightstand on the far end of the room. A large armchair beside the nightstand near where Shin Hye stood, the large window was covered by the curtain but Shin Hye could see a working desk and a chair in front of it.

She touched the armchair, imagining how it would look like if the master was still alive and sitting there, with a book from the shelf and a cup of hot coffee on the nightstand. She then walked towards the bed, studying the pole that was as high as the ceiling. Which led her sight to a ceiling beam across the room. Suddenly flashes of image came on her mind, image of a person hanging himself on that beam. Her nape hair suddenly raised and her heart beat a bit faster, she squeezed her eyes shut for comfort.

“Omayaaa!!!” Jimseung shouted, making her jumped.

“Wae? What's wrong?!!” She exclaimed in panic.

She heard him sighed and took fast and deep breath, “I thought it was him.” He pointed something on the bookshelf, “It was just his photograph.”

Shin Hye huffed in relief, she could not believe how tensed she was and realised that she was holding her breath the whole time. “I’m gonna open the curtain.” She scurried to the window.

With one tug, one of the curtain slit open uncovering half of the window. Lights were coming in and the room was instantly bright. Shin Hye pushed the other curtain to the other side, behind the desk. She looked over the window and lit up.

“Oh My God! Look at that!” She exclaimed in awe.

Jimseung tapped the framed photograph of his grandfather then walked towards Shin Hye. The top of the trees from the forest was visible through the window as the room was in second floor.

“What’s wrong?” He stopped in front of the window and lit up too. “Wow! I didn’t know there was something like this.”

A garden laid in front of them, even though it was winter and most of the plants were dead but it would had been a beautiful garden if it were maintained. Rose bushes, daisy, and lilies were all around the garden surrounding a path that made the garden looked like a maze. European style statue was in between the bushes, it was covered with moss and ivy now but obviously it made the garden majestic.

“This is an awesome room, look at the view. No wonder it became the master bedroom.” Shin Hye looked back to the room. “Can you imagine working in this desk with that kind of view? And the books… oh wow! I would never leave this room if I have this many books.”

“You like to read?” Jimseung propped himself to the window, sitting on the fram, observing her.

“I love it… at first because it distract me from my fear. When I’m focused at something I think I tend to ignore or forgot about my fear, like when I read or lately when I train martial art with you.” She smiled at him, he looked down. “But after that I just couldn’t stop reading, I even worked in the town second hand bookshop just to be able to read their collections. The villagers doesn’t really like to buy books though.” She joked.

Jimseung smirked to hide his smile. “Well this bedroom is not so bad now that its bright, luckily he’s not here though.” He looked around, “But we never know when he would be back.”

“Then we have to be quick, we need to find something.” Shin Hye studied the desk and found two framed photos, “Is this you?” She took one of them and stood beside him, showing him the photograph.

Grandfather was in the front yard with couple and their son. He was holding the little boy and smiling brightly together. The only woman in the picture was also smiling, she was very beautiful and wore a red dress that was swayed by the wind. She was holding a man’s hand, but unlike the rest he looked very tense and awkward. 

“That was my grandfather and my family, mother and dad.” He explained without taking the photo.

“Your dad looked like he doesn’t enjoy being his photo taken.” Shin Hye pursed her lips.

“Nah! He was just holding his poop.” Jimseung said indifferently.

“Jimseung-a!” She pretended to scold him, but chuckled by his joke. The sound of her chuckle made him feel good. “And who’s this?” Shin Hye took the other photograph and gave it to Jimseung.

He observed the picture seriously, thinking hard. It was a picture of his grandfather and a lady, a young woman that was probably half his age. They were holding hands like a lover, smiling brightly together looking very happy. He noticed his three year old self was in the background, playing in the yard.

“Is it your grandmother?” Shin Hye peered from beside him.

“Ani! My grandmother passed away long before I was born. So it couldn’t be her. Maybe it was my grandfather’s lover.” Jimseung said.

“She’s pretty.” Shin Hye remarked while looking through the desk, opening the drawer. “What’s this?” She took out something from one of the drawer.

Jimseung placed the photograph back to the desk and stood beside her, somehow being close with her made him calm. He saw another sheet of photograph and a box on both of her hand. He took the box from her hand and opened it. A beautiful diamond ring was in it, the box was worn out but the ring was as beautiful as it should be.

“Hey! I know this place!” Shin Hye exclaimed which distracted his attention from the ring. “It’s my house! What is she doing in my house?”

Jimseung looked at the photograph, the woman from the other photo was standing in a yard of a house. It was a traditional Korean house with an L-shape, a yard and a bench in the middle of it. The fence was made out of stone and surrounded with wild flowers.

“Are you sure?” Jimseung was interested in that fact.

“Of course, I’ve lived there for three years. But that house was long empty before I moved in there. The rumour is someone died in that house.” She explained.

Jimseung furrowed as he looked at her, “You don’t think, she…”

Shin Hye’s face hardened, “I don’t think so… that house was ‘safe’” she put both her hands up, and wiggled her index and middle fingers. “Usually when someone dies in a house, it became haunted or something. But that house is not like that, it’s actually very nice.” She added.

“Let’s look around more…” Jimseung suggested. He went to the door beside the bed while Shin Hye studied the shelves.

“Shin Hye-ya!” He called from the other side of the door.

Shin Hye hurriedly went inside the door and found herself in a walk-in-closet. The smell of old fabric was so strong because the closet was still filled with grandfather’s clothes. Jimseung was standing in front of one of the rack, he was not moving as if caught by a trance. She approached and stood beside him, following what he was looking at. Her nape hair raised again.

“What do you think this is for?” Jimseung said.

The rack only filled by two items, a pair of suit and a dress, it was covered by a glass door and had a good circulation so they were still in good condition. The suit was a classic three pieces tuxedo, the vest and the pants were grey while the jacket and the tie were black. The dress was a victorian gold dress, with a v-neck and short sleeve, the skirt was wide and covered with sparkly beads. 

“Maybe your granddad was planning to propose to her. I mean the ring, the suit and the dress, it looked like a wedding party or at least engagement party.” Shin Hye guessed.

Jimseung opened the glass door and took the suit, Shin Hye was looking at him curiously. She did not think that taking a suit of a dead man was a wise thing to do. But then she was attracted to the dress, she traced her hand to the dress that was smooth as silk on top and beaded on the bottom.

“Ippuda!!” She admired.

Jimseung turned to her, imagining what she would look like in that dress. He hid a smile thinking that he would really like to see her in that dress.

He then roamed his hand to every pocket of the suit, his eyebrows raised as his hand was in the pocket of the jacket. He let it out and saw a piece of paper was in his hand. Shin Hye gasped, intrigued by the new finding. They looked at each other, suddenly the hair on their hands raised as they both were feeling excited.

Jimseung hung the suit back to the rack and closed the door, he leaned on the door while opening the piece of paper. Shin Hye leaned beside him, trying to peek at the the paper too. The paper was already yellowish, it maybe twenty years old if it were made before granddad died. Inside it was handwritten letter, the ink was almost faded and there were several smudge on it as if dripped by water.

January 15, 1997.

Dear Love,

I still can’t believe what happen today.

Your house was empty, there was no sign of you or your family.

I waited for them for hours to ask them about you, whether or not the news about you was right.

 

I know you wouldn’t do such a horrible thing like that.

You’re full of love and passion that there’s no way you would take away life itself.

You gave me love, blessed life and hope for a new family.

So even though the world was against us, I was ready to leave my world.

 

You’re always worry about your family, your daughter…

Now that you’ve gone, who will take care of them?

I’m so sorry… I’m so sorry… because of me, they lost you.

I wish I could be the one to take care of them, but I lost them too

 

Maybe it’s better if I go to you… so we can be happy together in the next life.

Shin Hye’s eyes welled up as she read the letter, Jimseung was also fell silent. The love letter from his grandad struck him.  He never knew about the love story of his grandad, his father never talked about him or the lady, so he did not know that the story ended up tragically. He looked to the side when he heard sniff from the girl beside him.

“What’s wrong?” He frowned.

“The voices… it was his.” Shin Hye recalled the voice she heard that night.

Jimseung turned his torso towards her, interested by what she was going to say, “What did he say?”

“He said he was sorry for letting her die, and to tell her family. I think she had a daughter, I wonder how she is now.” Shin Hye glanced at the ring.

“But you said nobody committed suicide in that house, are you sure?” Jimseung folded the paper and put it in his pocket, he gently pushed Shin Hye’s back to guide her out of the closet.

“I.. uh… Now I’m not sure. But if she really did commit suicide, maybe not at that house, right?” Shin Hye was back in the bedroom and sat on the side of the bed.

Jimseung sat on the chair, he tapped his fingers on the desk. “First we need to know who she is.”

“Why?” Shin Hye folded her arms on her lap.

“We need to give this to the her family, her daughter. I think its what he wants. He wanted to take care of her family knowing that she committed suicide because of him. I don’t know whether he left them any inheritance but at least this diamond ring should be with their family, right?” Jimseung opened the box and admired the beautiful ring.

Shin Hye nodded in agreement, “Arasso!” She stood up looking very determine.

“Ottiga?” Jimseung eyed her as she walked to the door.

“I’ll go ask around people in the village, and maybe go to the townhall to find out who lived in my house at that time. When was the letter dated, again? 1997?” She stopped in front of the door and faced him.

“O! January 1997.” Jimseung answered.

“Okay!! I’ll be back before lunch!” Shin Hye ran out of Jimseung sight.

Jimseung’s jaw dropped, amused by her spirit. She was more determined to solve his grandfather's issue than he was. A curve slowly formed on his lips, his heart felt warm for seeing how she tried hard to help him. It was the first time that anybody was sincerely helping him to get through his disease.

The admiring time was disrupted by the realisation that he was alone in his grandfather’s bedroom. The person he was most scared of right now, in the place where he took his own life. He instantly jumped and ran out of the room.

“Ya! Kajika!!!” He bellowed as he slammed the door shut.

—-

“So how did it go?” Jimseung asked while walking to his chair during lunch, Shin Hye was standing on his station.

Jimseung saw the state of the dining table, he glanced at Shin Hye until she noticed him. He nodded his direction towards the chair opposite him, signalling her to sit and had lunch with him. Shin Hye rolled her eyes and ran to the kitchen. When she was back with a tray of her food and a bunch of papers, Jimseung was already sitting, waiting for her to eat.

“I asked around to some people that I know, the oldest people in the village that I know. The inn keeper, my old boss the bookstore owner and a few Ahjumma who sell stuff in the market, but they didn’t seem to remember who’ve lived at my house.” Shin Hye said while sitting down, Jimseung watched her looking confused.

“Gurae? So we’re stuck?” He said.

“Eyy!! You have so little faith of me!” Shin Hye smirked snobbishly, “So, I went to the city hall and ask for the citizen record of the year 1997.” She held out a paper with tables. “But I haven’t have time to find my address yet.”

“I can help you with that.” Jimseung said while sipping his soup as if it was the most normal thing to do.

Shin Hye stunned for a few second, she shook her head before continuing, “I even go to the library to check on the news of that year, just in case something popped up.” She paused for effect.

Jimseung raised his head when she stopped talking, “Aannd??” He asked curiously.

“There’s a tiny news about someone committed suicide on the night of the new year of 1997.” She said excitedly.

Jimseung looked right and left, confused about something. “So??”

Shin Hye frowned, “Soo?? So this is a small city. And not much is happening here… I would think that a news of someone committed suicide in a boring city like Donghwa would’ve made a bigger headline. Don’t you think?” She cried excitedly.

His face lit up, the nuts and bolts in his brain were starting to run. He grabbed his plate and glasses and went over the opposite side of the table and sat beside her. Shin Hye startled at the sudden closeness, she looked over in confusion while the guy did not even notice and focused on the newspaper.

“Let me see.” He peeked over the paper on her table area, their elbow touched a little.

Shin Hye coughed a dry cough and slid the newspaper to his area and observed it too. Jimseung leaned closer to get a good look of the newspaper copy and saw a small box near the advertisement. It stated about a young lady named Lee Young Ae hung herself in her house, leaving a daughter who was 3 years old. The news looked more like house advertisement rather than a news.

“Is this the address of your house?” He looked to her side and jolted when realising that their faces were inches away.

Shin Hye jolted with him and sat straight up, she coughed nervously while nodding her head. “Don’t you think its odd?”

“So what are you saying? That the news is bogus?” Jimseung slouched on the arm rest to face her.

“I don’t know… I have a feeling that nobody died in my house. And usually I was right. So…” she bit her lips.

Jimseung nodded his head, “Arasso! Eat, you must be tired of running around. Give me the citizen’s list. I’ll check on it while you eat.”

“Aren’t you going to finish your food?” Shin Hye eyed the almost empty plate while passing over the papers.

“I’m not hungry anymore.” He received them and started to taking a look at sheet per sheet in a glance, but then he looked at her, “Don’t get me wrong its not that its not good or I don’t like it. Don’t misunderstand.”

“Arasso…” She said intuitively started to smile, “Do you believe me when I say that nobody die in my house?” Shin Hye asked timidly.

“Of course.” He answered short and firm without removing his sight from the paper, like it was not something to be asked for. 

Shin Hye bit his lips, holding it from getting wider even more. So while she was eating, Jimseung looked through the sheets line per line, trying to find her address. Every now and then they would discuss something that was interesting in the sheet and made fun of the name of the citizen. Once she finished eating, she took half of the sheet that had not been reviewed and joined him. After a few hours of checking, they were getting tired.

“Why can’t they have a more organised way to record the citizen?” He rubbed the back of his neck. “I mean don’t they know the system called alphabetical order?” He tossed his head to the back rest.

“I know, right.” Shin Hye squinted her eyes, “Wait… this is it!” She exclaimed, making Jimseung jolted to look at the sheet.

“Lee Young Ae. Her child name is Lee Bo Young and her mother name is Lee Jeon Hee. They moved out January 1st 1997” Shin Hye read the list.

“The day she died!” The exclaimed in unison. Jimseung suddenly grabbed the paper and read it once more.

“Okay!!” He nodded excitedly, “Now it’s my turn!” He got up and marched out of the dining room.

“Ottiga?” Shin Hye asked in confusion.

“Now it’s time to find out where Lee Young Ae or Lee Bo Young or Lee Jeon Hee moved after that and where they are now.” Jimseung explained.

“How?” Shin Hye frowned.

“That’s why it’s my turn to find out. Don’t worry, I have ways.” He said while running towards his bedroom. “Thank you for the meal.”

Shin Hye released a deep breath, belatedly realised that she was holding breath just now. She found herself smiling. There was a certain satisfaction at what they were currently doing. Investigating things, finding stuff and on the way of solving a case, she found herself enjoying that. But then again its either the activity or the person she was doing it with.

—-

A red pick up truck passed the toll gate of Dongryo city, a city two hours drive from the Donghwa. It drove off further passed the city centre and to the rice fields. The street was getting narrow and rough yet the truck kept speeding deep into the town suburbs.

A man in a black hoodies was behind the wheel, while the girl beside him was looking straight ahead looking tense. She squeezed one hand with the other to loosen her nerves, the driver glanced at her but he did not say anything as he was also anxious for where they were going. They both silently rode the pick up truck until it reach a house.

The car stopped in front of large yard, the house was a few meters from the street. It was an old humble house with a spacious yard where an old lady was watching a little girl played doll. The old lady was around 70 years old, but the beauty had not left her face. She had wrinkles and grey hair but she exuded wisdom and happiness.

Jimseung and Shin Hye observed the house and the residence on the yard, without exchanging words they had the same thoughts. They sat silently in the car, studying the situation and considering what to say to them.

“Do you think that’s her?” Jimseung finally said, Shin Hye nodded without removing her sight from the old lady. 

“She’s beautiful!” He said again, Shin Hye nodded again. “You should go!” He pushed her.

Shin Hye looked at him bewildered, “Da!!? He’s your grandfather! She almost became your grandmother!” Shin Hye exclaimed.

“That’s exactly why I don’t want her to see me!” Jimseung exclaimed back, he opened both of his arms as if showing the state he was in.

Shin Hye opened and closed without any words coming out from it, she finally relented. After a big huff directed to the Beast, she opened the door and went out of the truck. Jimseung smirked in victory and ducked his head, trying to cover himself from the lady.

The old lady was helping her granddaughter to dress the doll, she was smiling happily when the little girl did something cute. Her attention suddenly distracted to a person that was approaching her house. A teenage girl, around 18 years old was carrying a flower bouquet and walking towards her house. She frowned curiously and stood up from the bench she was sitting on, ready to welcome the unknown guest.

“Can I help you?” The old lady said friendly. 

“Er, Are you Lee Young Ae-shi?” Shin Hye asked timidly.

The old lady flashed a friendly smile and nodded, “Are you looking for me?”

Shin Hye wiped her right hand to her thigh, cleaning it from the sweat that was covering her palm, “De! Pangapseumida! Park Shin Hye-ibnida!” She bowed respectfully and stretched out the flower that she was carrying.

Lee Young Ae stared at the girl curiously, she did not know her nor had she ever seen her, but she received the flower anyway. “Annyeonghaseyo! Why are you looking for me.”

Shin Hye fidgeted and glanced over to Jimseung, “There is no easy way for me to say this, so let me just tell you straight to the point, Miss. I am bringing a message from Lee Hwang Eui.” She said bracing herself.

The old lady widened her eyes looking terrified, “I don’t know anyone by that name. You have the wrong person, please leave my house.” She turned around and grabbed the little girl in a hurry. “Let’s go Min Jung-a!” 

Lee young Ae grabbed the little girl by the shoulder and forcefully took her towards the house. Shin Hye felt something was odd with her reaction, she decided to try something.

“He passed away!!” Shin Hye exclaimed, succeed in stopping the old lady. Shin Hye stepped forward trying to look at her expression to no success. “He passed away a long time ago! Like 18 years ago.” She carefully explained.

Lee Young Ae widened her eyes again, the terrified look turned into a surprise. She faced Shin Hye unable to beat her curiosity. She saw the teenage girl stretched both of her hands, something was on top of it, a red velvety box. She slowly approached Shin Hye and took the box while her eyes were fixated to Shin Hye’s as if asking for explanation. She opened the box and gaped, her right hand instinctively covered the opened mouth.

“He wanted you to have that…” Shin Hye stuttered, worried that she would not believe her.

Lee Young Ae’s eyes started to get teary as she nodded her head, “How do you know?”

“There’s initials on the inside ring, LYA and LHE.” Shin Hye explained.

The old lady peeked inside the ring and the tear finally left her left eye. Shin Hye held her own tears as well, since it was clear to her that Lee Young Ae really did loved Jimseung’s grandfather.

“I… I don’t understand. I thought you said he passed away?” Lee Young Ae finally asked.

Shin Hye grinned awkwardly, “It’s kinda funny story…” she scratched her head even though it was not itchy.

—-

Lee Young Ae’s mouth was opened rather widely, her eyes were so wide and there was a crease in between her eyebrows. She finished listening to the teenage girl’s story and now was looking at two youngsters that were looking back at her, hoping that she would believe the story.

“So you’re saying that you could communicate to the late Lee Hwang Eui and that he wanted to tell my family that he’s sorry for letting me die and to give this ring to my daughter to somehow take care the rest of her life?” She observed the ring that had a large diamond on it, “Well, I figure this cost a fortune.” She smiled bitterly.

“Yes, somehow he thought you were dead.” Shin Hye said.

“And you… are you his grandson? We met once, didn’t we? I’m sorry I forgot your name! What is it?” Lee Young Ae said to Jimseung.

“Doesn’t matter…” he answered coldly, he just sat crossed-legged and crossed-armed the whole time Shin Hye explained to her.

“You were such a cute kid, your grandfather loved you very much. I didn’t think he would die like that… I thought… He said… “ Lee Young stuttered.

“Why did you left?” Jimseung asked bluntly and coldly, gaining a surprise look from both Shin Hye and Lee Young Ae.

“I… I was a coward” Lee Young Ae stuttered, she fidgeted on her seat. “Back then it felt like the whole world was against us. The and our social status was too much for people. They called me social climber, they called him immoral. He never listened to any of that, but I was different. I’m a single mother, my parents were sick, I lost my job and nobody in town would hire me.  So when someone offered my a large sum of money, I thought that was my way out. So I ran away, I didn’t think he would take such measures.” Her eyes got teary again.

Jimseung scoffed, “You just didn’t love him enough…” he winced immediately when a skinny elbow stabbed his stomach.

Lee Young Ae smiled bitterly, “So

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter