To be Continued

The Beauty and the Beast
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Last Chapter Recap:

Donghwa was a village that was surrounded with a lake, a forest and another slum village called wolf village. Inside the forest stood a big castle that was rumored the home of a strange animal Park Shin Hye was a senior in Donghwa highschool, she was a nerd that often being bullied. Park Sang Myun was Shin Hye's dad, he built and fixed furniture and transported it to the Donghwa castle. An old woman lived there, Kim Hae Sook, who served a master who had a bad temper, very strong and had a bad and strong odor. The master did not like stranger and was always angry if someone enter his house. Park Min Woo was the son of the owner of the only hotel in the village, he befriended with Park Hae Jin who was a reporter who came to Donghwa every two weeks. Min Woo had a crush on Kim Ji Won, the town hottie who sadly was interested in Hae Jin. Shin Hye developed a crush on Hae Jin and confessed, but Hae Jin rejected. Park Shin Hye accepted the job to substitute Kim Hae Sook while she was getting treatment, but the master hated her and treated her badly. Shin Hye ran away from the mansion and ended up in Wolves Village, she was chased by a few men.When they were about to attack her, Jimseung saved her. Shin Hye asked him to teach her how to fight. The result of the training is Shin Hye confidence and standing up against bullies. They also became friends. Shin Hye noticed that Jimseung can see ghosts as well as she can sense them. They investigate the ghost of his grandfather who commited suicide in that mansion. Jimseung gave her a gift of library and to celebrate Nanny Kim's return, they had a small party. Jimseung and Shin Hye kissed.

---o0o---

Beads of raindrops smashed onto a window of one of the class in Happy Child kindergarten, the sky was dark as if it was already dusk even though it was only a couple of hours after noon. The two adults in the class were conversing with each other, occupying themselves even though it was way past their knock-off time, while they were waiting for their final student to be picked up.

They kept glancing at the boy who was calmly colouring his drawing, a woman and a little boy in front of a building with red cross on top of the building. In the drawing both mother and son were holding hands and smiling happily, but the sky was dark grey just like the sky that afternoon.

“Aigoo… it really is unlike Hae Jin Omma. She never late picking her child." She fidgeted on her chair since she really wanted to go home.

“I heard she’s ill… do you think something happen to her?” Said the other teacher, the one wearing blue shirt.

“I hope not, he already lost his dad. Who would he lived with if something happen to his mother?” His teacher said.

“I know, especially with the economic situation like now. How’s your husband doing?” The blue shirt teacher held the hand of her friend.

It was one summer day in 1997 when the global economic crises had struck. People around the world strive to float in a difficult situation, including South Korea.

Hae Jin’s homeroom teacher shook her head sadly, “It’s hard to find a job, it’s lucky that I still can keep this job.”

“Keep strong, it’s a tough time for our country, the economic crisis is a global thing, we just have to survive this year, hopefully next year will be better.” Advised the blue shirt teacher.

“Yes, we’re still lucky. I always feel bad towards Hae Jin Omma. She always looks so pale when she picks him up, but she’s never late like this. I’m worried.” The homeroom teacher bit her lip.

“Did you try calling her?” Asked the blue shirt teacher, the homeroom nodded. “Let’s try again”

They scattered to the office, bringing Hae Jin who looked very tired yet remain calm. He was wondering why even after all of his friends left the school, his mom was yet to come. She never let him wait, even when she had to be admitted to the hospital, his aunt would rush to get him because his mother would pester her and reminded her over and over to get him.

“You are special Hae Jin-ah, not having a father does not mean you are less special than all of your friends.” Its what she often said to him.

“Hae Jin-ah, when you’re a grown up and meet a girl that you like, make sure that you never make her wait. Just like a mother never make her child wait. Your dad was exactly like that, he always made sure Omma never wait, even if he was running late he would always find ways to let me know.” His mother said one day as they walk home hand-in-hand from school.

“Today Omma could not pick you up, but Auntie Ha Na will. She is very nice, you will like her. She has a boy your age, his name is Kyeong Soo, Do Kyeong Soo.” One day on a hospital bed, his mother looked so weak, her lips was almost white and the bag under her eyes were so deep, yet she was managed to make him calm.

That’s why Hae Jin was always calm, because in any situation his mom would make sure he knew that everything would be alright, that she would be waiting for him or picked him up as soon as the school bell rang. 

Except for that day, and for the first time in his five years life, Hae Jin thought something must have gone wrong. But he stayed calm nonetheless, because he did not know what else to do.

Watching the two women who were his teachers pushed the phone button over and over again, Hae Jin grabbed his own hand, squeezing it to block the feeling inside of him. An unfamiliar feeling that made him restless, blocking his throat little by little, filling his eyes with tears. 

“Songsaengnim, where’s Omma?” That was the first time he asked that day.

The two teachers looked at each other, their faces were scrunched and they were having a mental conversation to discuss what answer to give to that calm boy. His homeroom turned to him, faked a cheerful smile and held his shoulder.

“We are still trying to…” she mentally cursed for not having successful to call anybody related to the boy or his mom.

“Park Hae Jin! Hae Jin-a!” A woman's voice was heard outside of the office, followed with rushed footsteps. 

The door abruptly opened, uncovering a 30 something woman in casual dress, like the one that most woman wears at home, she was drenched in rainwater and panting hard as if in marathon. She sighed in relief when finding out that Hae Jin was still there.

“Immo!!!” Hae Jin ran and hugged the woman.

“Annyeonghaeseyo, Jin Ha Naa-ibnida!” The woman bowed with Hae Jin in her embrace, “I’m Hae Jin’s Aunt, his mother is my sister. I’m sorry I’m late… I… She…” Ha Naa stuttered as tears flowed, dissolving with rain water that was still flowing from her hair.

“Thank you for watching him, I have to go now. Very sorry to trouble you, Songsaennimm.” She bowed and rushed out of the school, holding Hae Jin’s hand tightly all the while.

—-

“Kyeong Soo-ya!!” Ha Naa tickled the nose of her son.

A five year old boy laid in fetal position in between the square low tables. His black suit was crumpling, his cheek was reddish from the cold and he was his thumb. The mother couldn’t care less about him exercising his bad habit, as long as he was calm.

“Kyeong Soo-ya! Wakey Wakey… let’s go home. We’re finish for today!” Ha Naa sniffed, her nose was red and her eyes were so puffy it made her eyes even smaller. The white bow on her hair is slipping as her hair was loose out of her ponytail.

Kyeong Soo finally gave signs of waking up. He frowned at first but then he opened his eyes lazily. Once he saw his mother, he immediately hugged her; he had wanted to hug her all day but she was too busy. Greeting the guest, serving dishes to the tables, consoling his cousin.

“Omma!! Can we go home now?” He said lazily.

“O! Kyeong Soo-ya!” His mother smiled her most charming smile, the best she could do in between her runny nose and bloated face. 

She stood up, fixed her black Hanbok and led him to another boy, who was slightly taller but had the same kind of face as his mother. He was standing deadpan like a robot that had run out electricity.

“Is it okay if Hae Jin stayed with us from now on?” Ha Naa asked her son.

Kyeong Soo looked up and stared at the boy in front of him, his cousin. He met him several times already but not all the time. He thought Hae Jin was quiet but he was always calm. Kyeong Soo did not know whether he liked that boy or not.

Ha Naa looked at her son in concern, worried that he would rejected her nephew. It was a hard time for her due to the economic crisis in 1997 and having no husband. But she loved her sister so much and did not have the heart to abandon her sister’s son. But if her son rejected, he would not had any choice, her son came first.

Suddenly Kyeong Soo stepped forward, in the direction of Hae Jin, while stretching both arms. He then flung it around Hae Jin’s neck.

“I don’t have a father too…” he whispered.

Hae Jin broke down again, the tears that he thought had drained out of his body free flowed on Kyeong Soo’s shoulder. His shoulder shook as he poured every last liquid he had inside. He swung his arm around his cousin, feeling devastated and grateful at the same time. He knew he would like that cousin’s of his.

—-

Do Kyeong Soo went out of his class, pushed his glasses up to the bridge of his nose, he sniffed a little holding his runny nose, it was always like that when winter came. He took out his book from the bag and made his way to the stairs. Disregarding his surrounding, got lost in his own world of imagination.

Somehow he was safe until he reached the gate of his school, clearly he knew his way around Deogwon Middle School. He glanced from the corner of his eyes, peered at a group of boys and girls that were fooling around. They were his classmates but he was never interested in hanging around like that, he’d prefer to go home to his computer and continue programming his game.

One of the boy noticed him, his smile grew bigger as he pulled his arm off of a girl. He waved his friends good bye as he tried to catch up with Kyeong Soo.

“Ya, Pororo!! Where are you going? Ddeokbokki?” One of the boy cried to him.

“Jugule? I’m nowhere looked like Pororo anymore, right Min Joo-ya?” He teased the girl he just hugged, she blushed.

“Are you ditching us for the nerd cousin of yours?” The boy jeered.

Hae Jin's face tensed, he turned his heel and marched towards his friend, grabbed him by the collar. The rest of the gank was flustered, not expecting his outburst.

“You really wish to die, don’t you?” Hae Jin shouted, “Never mock him like that!!” He shot daggers at the boy. 

When he did not get any reaction out of his friend, he let go of the collar and tidy it. The gesture did not make any of his friend less tensed. He smiled his charming smile, waved his goodbye again and ran towards his cousin. His friends sighed in relief, wondering what happened to their student body president.

Kyeong Soo was in the fifth chapter of Harry Potter seventh book when he felt a weight dropped on his back, almost tipping him over. He looked up from his book and smiled widely, seeing Hae Jin’s arm laid on his shoulder. 

“Is it that good?” Hae Jin asked.

“O! Final one…” Kyeong Soo’s eyes lit up. 

“Give it to me once you’re finish, don’t give it to Ah Reum first. Arasso!” Hae Jin faked annoyance.

Kyeong Soo grinned, having caught his intention. 

Hae Jin scoffed, “Aigoo, Jashik!! What ever happened with bros before hoes?” He ruffled Kyeong Soo’s hair.

“Arasso! Arasso!” Kyeong Soo ducked and ran to avoid his attack.

Hae Jin chuckled and ran to catch up with him, they walked together in high spirit until they arrived in front of a small convenient store where a middle aged woman was serving her customer, scooping grain of rice, wrapping bean sprout into a newspaper and putting them in a plastic bag. She was conversing with the customer as if they had known each other for years.

“Omma!” Kyeong Soo greeted.

The middle-aged woman looked up and lit up, “Kyeong Soo-ya! Hae Jin-a! Wasseo!? Go inside, I have good news!” Jin Ha Naa exclaimed.

“Aigoo!! You have two handsome sons!? How lucky are you!” The customer said in awe, “Are they twins?”

The mother and the two ‘sons’ looked at each other, smiling mischievously, “Deh, Ahjumma. My Name is Hae Jin, this is my twin brother Kyeong Soo.” Both brother bowed.

“I see… you must be an un-identical twins.” She lamented.

The two boys silently snorted and greet the customers goodbye before coming inside the convenience store and headed to the second story where the living quarter was located. In a few more minutes, Kyeong Soo’s mother came up and called both of her boys.

“This is the good news that I’ve been meaning to tell you boys.” She sat in the couch while the boys were sitting cross-legged on the floor.

Hae Jin eyed the envelope inside his auntie’s hand, it had the mascot of a very famous high school in Seoul, probably in the whole country. An exclusive private school that was the destinations of the wealthiest kids in South Korea. His heart skipped a beat, hopeful of what’s inside the letter and what his aunt were about to convey.

“Well.. I don’t know whether this is good or bad, but anyhow, you both are my sons and I love you equally.” Jin Ha Naa stammered a little, “You both applied for this scholarship, your grades are very good at school, so I believed that you both could get in. But I only get one envelope, and you know what it means, right?”

Hae Jin’s heart sank a little, if only one of them was accepted, then he knew which one would go to that expensive school. But he smiled nonetheless, genuinely happy that at least one of them could get in.

“And with my financial condition, I couldn’t afford to self-funded the other one so that both of you could stay in the same school.” Jin Ha Naa carefully explained.

“Ah Omma! We know that already! I’m fine if I don’t get accepted, Hae Jin should go!” Kyeong Soo exclaimed impatiently.

“Bichoso! Your grades are better than mine, you’re a talented programmer… of course its you not me!” Hae Jin countered.

Jin Ha Naa smiled, the bickering between two cousins warmth her heart instead of worrying her, it was clear that they loved each other, having been brothers for almost ten years.

“Just open it already!” The cried in unison, making her jump out of her train of thoughts.

Jin Ha Naa opened the envelope abruptly and smiled sympathetically, gave the envelope to Kyeong Soo that triggered cheer from both boys. Hae Jin hugged him in genuine happiness. Jin Ha Naa reached for Hae Jin’s hand, tears were b on her eyes.

“Ah, Immo!! Don’t worry about me, public school is not so bad. If one of us should get accepted, Kyeong Soo would be a better choice.” Hae Jin reassured.

She tilted her head, “You are not a less better choice in my eye.” She hugged him gratefully.

It was not always easy raising two kids without a husband, but seeing them all grown up, she was thankful that she had kept her sister’s son with her. As both boys were her source of happiness.

“Keunde, will you be alright?” Hae Jin brooded, his face was suddenly tensed.

Kyeong Soo tensed up with him, “What do you mean?”

“Will you be alright without me, there?! I’m the one who always takes care of you in school! Who would protect when you’re bullied? With a face like yours, you’re surely will be bullied!” Hae Jin let out his tongue, jokingly.

“Hae Jin-a! You gave me a fright!” Jin Ha Naa scolded, “It’s the school of the richest people in South Korea. It would be good for Kyeong Soo’s and your future, you know with all of the network. He’d have to wear second hand uniform, but it won’t be a problem, right Kyeong Soo-ya?” 

Kyeong Soo nodded

“So what’s the worst that could happen?” Jin Ha Naa exclaimed excitedly.

—-o0o—-

December 24th, the evening of Christmas. A holiday that was usually spent with family and friends. But there he was, alone in a mansion that was enough to hold a hundred people. He was so used to being alone in such holiday that a call from the father was no longer expected. He did not even know where his father was, probably in a business meeting somewhere around the world. 

It felt like forever since the last time he heard his voice, the only family he had. Sadly he was also the only person who was embarrassed of his existence. He would not throw him to solicitation if he weren’t. 

It had been years already since the last time he saw the man he called Father, right after he graduated from high school, right before the beginning of his insanity, or at least that was his Father called about his changing behaviours. He was too jaded to explain what he was really experiencing.

His mom would understand, his grandfather would probably too; but sadly the two most important persons that would support him were gone, and he was alone, like this night.

So he let them, he let them called him crazy, he let them sedated him when he was horrified because he knew that that was better than facing his fear, he let them send him to this hole. He let them ruin his life.

But now there he was, wearing a tuxedo that he had not worn for years, combing his once tussled hair into a neat ponytail, sprayed cologne onto his critical spot and trimmed his facial hair. He still did not have the confidence to shave his face clean, what if he didn’t like his face? He somewhat forgot what he looked like without all the hair.

He chuckled to himself, could not believe that he let the Nanny to talk him into agreeing for a party. A party with a Nanny and a stranger, one that he just knew several months in prior. One that was actually saved him from insanity, encouraged him to face his fear and maybe, just maybe enabled him to get his life back.

He peered through the glass door of the library, the one that led to a spacious balcony. A dinner setting was already prepared by Nanny Kim, a bit courageous he thought since the balcony was half closed and half open aired. The December night wouldn’t be that friendly for a dinner outside. But what did he know, he was only a guest in that party. It was Nanny Kim’s. He could only put both hands on his pocket since they were getting frozen.

A footstep was heard, a small and frequent steps that was getting louder by the minute as the owner approached him. He turned around and saw Nanny Kim in a gown. He smiled, even though its hard to see through the thick hair, he thought the Nanny really outdid herself. She went all out for that so-called Christmas party.

All the finest silverware, the finest dish, the vinyl record and her dress. He did not even know that she would have that kind of dress in the mansion, one that a woman would wear in a gala dinner. He scoffed, at least one of them was having fun.

“Aaww!! You look ravishing, Young Master.” She admired him, “If only you let me shave your beard and moustache!” She pouted remembering the bickering they had in the afternoon about losing the facial hair, apparently she lost.

“Don’t you think we would freeze to death, having dinner in an open space, Nanny Kim?” He ignored her remark.

“That’s why I prepare… This!!” Her palms twinkling over a hanger that hung three thick coats.

Jimseung rolled his eyes, she was not really getting the message.

“Besides, we would be warm with all of the wine and soju that I prepared!” Nanny Kim skipped excitedly.

“Is she even allowed to drink?” He grumbled.

“Yes!! Park Sang Myun said he taught her to drink already… relax! It’s just the three of us, what wrong could happen?” Nanny Kim swayed, enjoying the feeling of the dress on her.

Suddenly they heard footsteps of heels pounded on the marble floor and a closed wooden door. The steps were firm, steadily making its way to the stair.

“Oooh, that must be Shin Hye! I told her to wear the yellow dress that was given by Lee Young Ae-shi. She must look gorgeous!” She scurried to the stair to welcome the girl and shrieked.

Jimseung shook his head, amused by her excitement to play dress-up for the night. He looked over the balcony again, making sure no birds of wild animal approached their dinner table. The footsteps was getting louder as the person climbed the marble stair.

He turned around, saw the top of the head of the girl. It was neatly fixed in a loose bun. Then he saw her face, the simple make up highlight her beauty. Her cheek was pinkish, might be from the cold or the make up, whatever it was, it made her look fresh and pure. He shifted his weight, turning his torso to face the girl.

Now her upper body was revealed, the yellow dress was off shoulder and had a low neck line that almost showing a bit of cleavage, it was teasing but not revealing. It made him hold his breath. The girl was eighteen and skinny but somehow the dress managed to enunciate her curve.

Half of her body was visible, her waist was so small it made him want to encircle his arm around it. Her arms were slim and muscly, resulting from months of training with him. Her toned body was perfectly wrapped and showcased by the dress.

Was it because he had not seen any girl for years? Because this girl looked breathtakingly attractive. 

She was now on the landing, smiling shyly to Nanny Kim as the older lady praised her look. She tapped her skirt to tidy it before standing straight and faced him. They locked eyes, as she strode towards her. He pulled both of his hands from the pocket, not really feeling cold anymore.

Once she was in front of him, he blinked rapidly as if he forgot to blink a few minutes ago. They stood face-to-face suddenly felt awkward by each other’s presence. Clearing and looked sideways, she eventually curtsied, gaining laughter from both.

“What are you doing?” Jimseung said in between his laugh.

“I don’t know!! Maybe the dress and the tuxedo that made me want to curtsy!” She chuckled with him. His laughter, a rarity occurrence, somehow always warmed her heart.

“Ooo… aren’t you two looked beautiful.” Nanny Kim caught up and clapped her hands happily. “Isn’t this fun!?” She exclaimed while heading to the balcony. “Dinner is served!”

Jimseung and Shin Hye smiled at each other before he let her out of the library to the balcony. A small gasp came out of Shin Hye as she took in the beautiful view in front of her. 

It was already dark outside, so beyond the balcony was pitch black, but Nanny Kim had put small twinkling lights all around the balcony and candles on top of the dining table, illuminating the balcony with warm twinkling lights. It was very romantic.

The dinner was set for three on a picnic table, Shin Hye sat beside Nanny Kim in front of a steak served in a plate. A cold wind gushed, sending shivers down to Shin Hye’s spine making her shudder. Suddenly she felt a warm cloth dropped on her shoulders, Jimseung was behind her. A thick coat now wrapped around her. He did the same with Nanny Kim before encircled the table and sat across Shin Hye. 

She bit her lips, not wanting to smile too often that night.

—-

“The steak has gotten cold!” Jimseung complaint.

“Pardon me, Young Master. Because I have to prepare the food and get ready myself. Obviously putting it in a heating rack is not the same as serving it fresh.” Nanny Kim hung her head.

“Gwenchana-yo, Nanny Kim!” Shin Hye glared at Jimseung and had a moment of stare off with him. “This is your night, tonight we celebrate your homecoming, so you’re allowed to serve less than standard food today, I still think it’s delicious.”

“Ya! Why are you putting words into my mouth!” He complaint again.

“You’re such a party-pooper! You won’t die for having one cold steak!” Shin Hye scolded.

He hung his head, “Yeah, but I’d die from pneumonia at this rate.” He grumbled.

Suddenly Nanny Kim chuckled, gaining a confused look from both Shin Hye and Jimseung, “I’m so happy to see you both. You were a timid girl when you first came to the house, now look at you scolding my Master. And you…” pointing to Jimseung, “This is the first time I see you listen to someone, finally!” Nanny Kim threw her hands on the air.

Shin Hye and Jimseung glared at each other but eventually bursted out laughing.

“Cha! Cha! Its time for a dance!” Nanny Kim exclaimed.

“Mwo!!??” The boy and the girl exclaimed in unison, followed with a series of reason of why they should not be dancing. It was one of a rare chance when they both were taking sides of each other.

“Arasso! Arasso! We’ll do that later… You just need a little bit of alcohol push.” She pulled out two bottles of Soju and a small cup; filling out the cup. “So Shin Hye, how’s your test? Think you get accepted to the college that you want?” She suddenly changed the topic.

“Deh!? I dont know, the test result was out, it was okay, but I don’t know if its enough for me to get into the University. I’d find that out late January or early February.” Shin Hye pouted.

“Is that soo?” Nanny Kim nodded, putting her fingers below her chin, “Young Master here!!” She suddenly grabbed Jimseung’s hand, “Has something to ask you!”

Jimseung jolted and instantly glared at her, “Nanny Kim, what has gotten into you?” He barked.

“I just couldn’t take it anymore, just ask her already?” She glowered while sipping her soju at one shot.

Shin Hye looked at him with her big doe eyes, trying to figure out what they were talking about. Jimseung took one of the cup and poured the alcohol into his throat, the burning sensation succeed in removing his nerve… a little.

“Would you… Would you like to…” he stammered nervously.

“Would you like to study in the US with him!” Nanny Kim cut him off.

“Nanny Kim!!” Jimseung shouted angrily.

The old lady shrugged indifferently while chugging another cup of Soju; apparently she would gotten bolder when she was drunk.

Shin Hye scoffed excitedly, “What does she mean? Is she making things up because she’s drunk?" She giggled.

“No! She’s not making things up!” Jimseung said firmly gathering all of the courage he had. 

Shin Hye raised her eyebrows, still was not catching up to any of his words.

“How do you like it… if… Have you ever thought of…” he stammered, “How would you like to study in the US? With me…”

Shin Hye’s eyes widened, fell opened. She did not expect that one bit. “You’re joking right? Not even in my wildest dream I would think about going abroad for my studies, let alone, in the US! That’s freakin expensive!!” She exclaimed.

“My company, well… technically its my Dad, gives out a lot of scholarship. If you’re willing, it wouldn’t be hard to get it and you can come with me as I continued my study.” He calmly explained, having finally succeed to control his heartbeat.

“Why do you want me to come with you?” Shin Hye frowned.

Jimseung shrugged, his eyes wandered elsewhere but her eyes, afraid of her reaction once he said what he wanted to say. “I feel like I will be able to finish my study with you around… I was not as violent as I was since you helped me with my problem, I’m not as aggressive and even able to control it. Maybe if you stay longer by my side, I could be normal again.”

Shin Hye stopped breathing for a few seconds, his words sounded like a love confession to her. “I… uh, I don’t know what to say. So you need a tamer?” She decided to joke about it.

Jimseung looked up, worried that she was offended, but when he saw a faint smile on her, he knew she was joking, It triggered his laugh. “Yess… because I’m a wild beast.” He played along.

She chuckled with him, enjoying his crisp laugh. “You know, without considering other things, your offer is fantastic. Studying in the US would be a realisation of a dream that I didn’t know I have.”

He smiled wider, if that was even possible, “So what do you say?”

“Sure, why not?” She spread both of her arms, faking defeat. “I mean, I would have a lot of thing to sort out first, but of course I’m okay to come. We wouldn’t want to keep you from studying, right?” She joked.

“Gurae?! That’s awesome, thank you so much!” He raised a cup filled with soju.

Shin Hye raised her cup and they bumped them a little before emptying it at once. The conversation sinked in, she finally grabbed a hold of what it meant. Excitement slowly creeping in, that a new adventure awaited her. Studying in the US was far better than her escape plan from Donghwa to Seoul.

She peered at Jimseung, who she thought was smiling now. The thought of him needing her warmed her hearts. She knew it was nothing romantic, he needed her to get back his life, to learn how to accept his ‘gifts’ and live with it. It was nice being needed even though its platonic.

“Now it’s time to dance!!!!” Nanny Kim suddenly shouted, making both Shin Hye and Jimseung jumped in their respective seat.

She scurried into the library and the vinyl record, playing a ballad song that was from the 80’s, far beyond the youngster’s era. She swayed by herself enjoying the tune. Shin Hye and Jimseung shook their heads, they didn’t know that the Nanny could be so goofy when she had a few drinks.

“Should we head inside? I can see you’re cold.” Jimseung offered.

“O?” Shin Hye was taken aback by the attention, “Sure, we have to be around her in case she falls.” Joking was her way to cover her nerve.

They made way to the door, holding their laughter from seeing Nanny Kim swaying alone with the beat. Stopping at the door, they both leaned on the doorframe, occasionally glancing at each other. 

Nanny Kim stopped abruptly when seeing them, clasped her hand to show her disappointment. “What are you doing? Come! Come!” She gestured them to join her.

Shin Hye stood straight up, shaking her head, widening her eyes. She never learnt how to dance and she certainly would not start now. Jimseung glanced slightly at her, contemplating something.

Nanny Kim hissed, throwing her head to the side in annoyance before stomping to their direction and pulled them to the centre of the library. It was odd how a small lady like her had so much strength.

“No.. No… please No, I don’t know how!” Shin Hye pleaded.

“Nonsense! It’s the perfect time to learn how. There’s nobody else here.” Nanny Kim chided. 

She placed the girl and the boy face to face, took his right hand and her left hand and clasped them together. Encircled them to the other side, she grabbed his left hand and put it on her waist. Shin Hye whimpered at the touch. Nanny Kim took her hand and put it on his chest, Jimseung cleared his throat.

“Aaaww!! Both of you look so cute! I need another drink…” She went back to the dining table to down another cup of soju.

Shin Hye and Jimseung stood awkwardly, hands holding, eye scattered to anywhere but each other. Shin Hye could feel her cheek getting warmer and her heart beat stronger, she felt ridiculous for feeling that way. Suddenly she heard him chuckled and looked up.

“Relax!” He said, “Its not like we haven’t touched each other before.” Jimseung’s moustache was slightly higher, indicating his smile.

Shin Hye frowned before smiling, catching up with what he was saying. “Now I know that punching you is much more easier than this.” They chuckled. 

Once the laughter died down, she sighed to calm her heart and looked at his eyes pleadingly. “Okay, how do we do this?”

Jimseung held her hand tighter, “Just follow where I’m going. Like she said…” he tilted his head to the drunken Nanny Kim who was now doing ballet, “No one else is here, you’re free to step on my toe.”

Shin Hye snorted.

“Ready?” Jimseung asked, Shin Hye nodded.

And he started moving backward, pulling her gently so she could follow. She tensed up staring at his feet, anxious that she would step on his shoes. The more she tried to think of where his feet were going, the more she stepped on it.

Jimseung cracked a laugh. Stopping his steps, he put the tip of his index finger below her chin and push it up. “Just look at me, the more you think the more you stumbled. Listen to the music, enjoy it.” His deep voice entranced her, she could only nod obediently.

He started to move again, she followed this time. He skilfully tugged her hand giving her signal of when and where he was going to move. Eyes locked to each other, Shin Hye found it was easier this time to follow his lead.

“You’re getting better, isn’t this just like boxing?” He teased, making her giggle and stepped on his toe. “Aack!” He yelped.

“Sorry!! Don’t make me laugh, you made me loose my focus.” She scolded him.

"Those heels are deadly weapon!" he grumbled making her laughed again.

They dance again, smoother this time. Shin Hye was getting the hang of it.

“So serious…” he teased again, gaining a punch on the chest from her. “I think you’re ready for a twirl.” He smiled widely as he raised his hand that was holding hers.

“What!? No! What are you doing?” Shin Hye said panicking, but unconsciously did what he led her, spun under their arms and landed back on his chest. She gasped happily in front of him. “Woaah!!” She exclaimed.

Jimseung chuckled again, wondering why he could not stop smiling that night. He tightened his grip on her hand and led her for a few more songs. Relaxing and swaying to the melody together, they occasionally joked around, enjoying each other's presence.

Nanny Kim sat on one of the armchair, the alcohol started to kick in. She was always a heavy drinker, but no one knew that except for her late husband. She sighed in satisfaction watching her Young Master loosened up and had fun with Shin Hye. Resting her back on the chair, she felt like she was watching a romantic teen movie, not at all drunk.

—-

The Christmas party eventually came to an end. The music was still playing in the background, the table was still full of what was left from a feast. The night had gotten chillier, a few minutes before midnight and the three persons in the balcony were already either passed out or half drunk. 

Nanny Kim was already sunk on the table, a soft snore was heard from her. Shin Hye’s head propped on her hand, elbow against the table, eyes half shut. Only Jimseung was still sitting straight, he knew that he needed to take care both ladies, so he held back on the alcohol.

“So how come you’re so good at dancing?” Shin Hye babbled.

“Every rich person has to learn to dance. We were breed to learn basic etiquette so we don’t misbehave during business event.” He explained, rather bitterly.

“Did you dance with your Mom?” She asked again, pouring soju in her cup.

Jimseung shook his hand sadly, “She died even before I started the lesson.” He was amused by himself who was telling all sort of things to her, then again she was drunk, she would probably forget about this conversation.

“Aah… Biyane! If it makes you feel better, I don’t have a mother too…” Shin Hye sniffed before chugging down her cup.

“I think you have enough of drink, let’s get you to bed.” Jimseung advised.

“Have you ever seen your Mom? I mean… after she died?” Shin Hye ignored him. Jimseung was taken aback by the question and eventually shook his head. “Don’t you think its unfair?” She stared at him sadly.

“What is?” He looked away, to the darkness beyond the balcony.

“We both could sense ghosts, but not once we meet with the one ghost that we missed the most. Do you ever wished you could see her?” Tears slowly escaped from her eyes.

Jimseung sighed and hung his head, it would be a lie if he said he had not think about it. But he was not going to tell her that, drunk or not, it would sound ridiculous. He looked up and was surprised to see her in tears.

“Come on! It’s time for bed!” He stood up and walked to her, pulling her up on her feet.

“Chamkanmanyo!” She shrugged his hand and stood straight, “I need to sober up a bit, the cold air would be good.”

Shin Hye hobbled, making her way to the open-air part of the balcony, she stumbled on her heels. Annoyed, she kicked her heels and put her bare feet on the marble floor. Feeling the sudden cold on her feet, she scurried to the end of the balcony and sat on the railing, feet dangling a few centimeters of the floor. She chuckled drunkenly.

“Yah! Bichoso! You’re going to get a pneumonia at this rate!” Jimseung scolded, half annoyed-half amused with her antic.

“Why? Are you scared? It’s not that high!! Look… no hand! No Hand!” Shin Hye spread her arms above her head happily.

Jimseung sighed defeatedly, picked up her shoes and walked towards her. He knelt down and put her shoes back on. Shin Hye tensed up, putting her hand back on the railing supporting her weight. She was stunned to see him, even in her half-sober state she knew that his gesture was uncommon.

He looked up, staring straight to her eyes. He had that ability to stare people so deep that it felt it went right through their soul. And that was Shin Hye felt, as if he was staring straight to her heart, reading her mind. Her clouded mind that was confused about how she felt at that moment. How she felt towards him.

Not wanting to be mind-red, Shin Hye looked away abruptly. She suddenly loose her balance as her hand slipped from the railing. She gasped as she felt her body was falling to the darkness.

Jimseung widened his eyes, instinctively stood up and grabbed her hands, pulling her until she stumbled forward. She fell from the railing, fortunately to the safe side. The gravity pulled her further and sent her to him. He caught her, face on his chest.

Shin Hye was still managing the aftermath of the almost incident, she blinked several times before she realised where she was. His scent, a fresh scent of cinnamon and peppermint, invaded her sense; not at all the beast smell that he used to have. She looked up and saw his face looking down at her. It was only centimetres away.

The touch of his hands on her waist, the scent and that sharp eyes, enveloped her. Clouding her mind even more, causing a harder heart beat and a strange ticklish sensation in her stomach. Before she could control her body, she tip toed and closed the gap of their faces, pressing her lips to his.

Jimseung went wide-eyed, but he failed to push her away as he responded to her kiss.

—o0o—-

Sunday morning, Christmas Day, a day after the self-proclaimed Christmas Party, Donghwa mansion was awfully quiet at seven in the morning. Which was uncommon as usually the caretakers of the house would already up and performed their task around the house. The sky was getting brighter with only a few clouds forming, it would be a clear Christmas Day.

The owner of the house, a 23 year old man was the only one who was already up. It may be because he did not sleep a wink last night. He sat straight, leaning on the headboard of his bed. His eyes wide opened and his heart beat twice as fast, usually he would think that spirits were around him, but today it was clear, no sighting or whatsoever.

Something had occurred last night, something so absurd that he still could not believe it happened. He kissed a girl, or to be exact, a girl kissed her and he didn’t budge.

It was not his first kiss, of course. He was once the most popular teenager, every girl wanted to get acquainted with him, every girl wanted to date him or at lease hooked up with him. As a member of the richest family in South Korea, dating was not unfamiliar thing, he was making out in his car, in the back of the school, in his room almost in daily basis.

But he didn’t think any girl would want to kiss him again, not when he was becoming some kind of urban legend in a village and be called as Beast, the girl who kissed him literally called him Jimseung. Not when everybody in the world had judged him as crazy, except the girl who kissed him. And not when he had hair on most part of his body that was not covered with clothes, and smelled like a bear in deep forest of North America; yet the girl who kissed him didn’t seem to mind.

And why did he let her? He did not think he missed being with a girl. He had never think about girls since he had the illness, he was too busy staying sane. But when their lips met. He felt wave of relief, like something that had been bottled up was release. He was not sure what and since when he was suppressing something.

Jimseung groaned, massaging the bridge of his nose. The girl was a senior in high school, so legally, it was illegal to kiss her. But there was something in the way they kiss, something calming and peaceful like water in a long months of drought or drinks during fasting. 

But he knew he shouldn’t do it again, it was a momentarily lapse of judgment, because they had been drinking. Technically she was drinking, he barely had one glass of wine and a cup of soju. He was practically sober. The lapse of judgement was on her side, so why did he kiss her back? 

And why now he wanted it again?

Yes she was pretty, one of the prettiest girl he had ever seen. He noticed that since the first time they had met. But she was not his type, he liked someone curvy with large and behind, at least that were the typical girl he would link with previously.

She was smart and stubborn, stubborn enough to not giving up when he gave her rough martial art training. Stubborn enough to stay at the mansion even if she had to handle monsters, in flesh and blood and in spirit. It was annoying that every trick up on his sleeve to kick her out failed miserably.

And she trusted him, without the need for him to explain himself, or pleaded for understanding. She saw right through him and picked him up from the large black hole he had been sunk for the last five years. Would it be the same if she didn’t have that power?

Or maybe he was just being a normal man, a healthy young hot-blooded man who had not touch a girl for five years.

Yeah, that must be it!! Let’s not jump into any crazy conclusion, he thought.

Jimseung looked up and saw that it was already bright outside, his stomach grumbled indicating that according to his biological clock, it was time for breakfast. He peered at the clock on his desk, it was 8 am already; way pass his breakfast time.

He stood up and made way down stairs, it was still very quiet in the service area. He wondered whether Nanny Kim and Shin Hye had not woken up. He could just wait for them, but the grumble on his stomach demand for nutrition, so he headed straight to the kitchen. A plain bread was probably enough to silence his belly.

He was about to push the kitchen door when it swung open to his side, almost bumping his head if he was not fast enough to jump backwards. Shin Hye jumped with him, while her hands were skilfully tying her hair in a high ponytail.

“Kamchagiya!” She exclaimed. “What are you doing in front of the door?”

Jimseung felt his cheek warmer, “Pabo! What reason do you think I have for standing here? I'm going to the kitchen!” He inexplicably annoyed.

“Are you hungry? Nanny Kim and I overslept, she’s cleaning the balcony right now. Is sandwich good enough for breakfast?” Shin Hye looked at him with the eyes of asking for forgiveness.

“Whatever is good!” Jimseung sighed.

“Arasso!” Shin Hye frowned sensing his foul mood in the morning, “What is wrong with you?” She asked over her shoulder while heading back to the kitchen.

“What do you mean?” Jimseung followed behind her.

“Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed?” Shin Hye grabbed a bag of toast, egg, ham and the rest of the ingredient for her sandwich.

“I couldn’t sleep last night.” He mumbled while sitting on the kitchen chair.

“Why? Are you sick?” Shin Hye came over and put her hand on his forehead.

Jimseung jolted and looked at her like she grew another head, somehow her nonchalance annoyed him. “What are you doing?!” He barked.

Shin Hye frowned again, “I’m just checking if you’re sick. Jeez!” She hissed while going back to the counter and put the toast into the toaster.

“Why do I even bother, she doesn’t even remember.” He bitterly mumbled.

“Deh!?” Shin Hye exclaimed in between the sizzling sound of bacon and egg in the oil. She pouted when he did not respond. “Were you the one who got us to bed last night?”

Jimseung jerked, thinking that she remembered. “Wae? Are you remembering something?”

“Ani! I’m just stating a fact. Nanny Kim has the worst hangover, I think she’s just slouching in the balcony right now. So I don’t think she’s the one who tugged me into bed last night.” She turned off the stove and arrange her sandwich. “Thank you for taking care of us.” 

She picked up one serving plate filled with three double stack sandwich that she cut into triangle shapes and put it on the table. There were six triangle sandwiches enough for both. She went back to the counter and grabbed two plates to put on the table, one for him and the other in front of an empty chair.

Jimseung’s mouth was watering already. Shin Hye was back with two glasses and a pitcher of orange juice. She poured the juice into a glass in front of Jimseung, all the while he was fidgeting in his seat and not once looked at her face. Shin Hye’s brow tensed up again, sensing something weird about him.

She took a seat on the empty chair and grabbed one of the triangle, Jimseung looked at her sternly.

“What? Do you mind if I grab one for breakfast?” She gave a blank stare innocently.

Jimseung tensed up when they locked eyes and instantly looked away, “I don’t.” He said coldly, grabbing two pieces and put them on his plate. He started munching.

More and more Shin Hye felt something was not right, he was too cold, and distant, it kind of hurt her a bit.

“So how did you manage to carry us from the balcony all the way to our room? It must have been hard on you.” Shin Hye tried to ignore the hurt and break the ice with small talk.

Jimseung shrugged, he was on his second sandwich.

“I’m not that heavy right? I don’t know… last night was the first time I drank that much. I drank several times with my dad but I never passed out like that.” The hurt was worsen, hence the additional cheerfulness.

“What is the last thing you remembered?” Jimseung mumbled, almost sounded like a growl as he took another piece of sandwich.

Shin Hye turned to him excitedly, thinking that the ice had been broken. “Nanny Kim snored beside me…” she giggled, inviting him to look at her. “You and I talked about our gift a little…” she narrowed her eyes, thinking hard. “I went to the balcony…sat…”

Jimseung’s hope suddenly risen, he really wanted her to remember and figured out what that kiss meant for her. He looked at her face intently and somewhere between “you” and “I” he lost focus, her voice blurred along with everything else, but her lips.

Her lips was moving graciously, talking and eating at the same time. Some people would find it disgusting but strangely it did not bother him. All he could see was the pink luscious lips puckered and release as she tried to multitask. He knew what that lips tasted like, he wished he could taste it again…

“And then I fell… and black out!” Shin Hye finished her story.

Jimseung was snapped out of his not so innocent imagination, “That’s it?!” He barked, shaking his head, mentally slapping his face.

“O!” Shin Hye gave deadpan look.

His face scrunched into a moue, Shin Hye felt the frustration on him and tried to think what wrong she had said. 

“Are you sure, you're okay?” She put her palm on his forehead again.

Jimseung instinctively grabbed her wrist, not wanting

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter