Something Familiar

The Beauty and the Beast
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Last Chapter Recap:

Donghwa was a village that was surrounded with a lake, a forest and another slum village called wolf village. Inside the forest stood a big castle. An old woman lived there, Kim Hae Sook, who served a master who had a bad temper, very strong and had a bad and strong odor; known as Jimseung (Beast) Park Shin Hye was a senior in Donghwa highschool, she was a nerd that often being bullied. Her dad was Park Sang Myun, he built and fixed furniture and transported it to the Donghwa castle. Park Min Woo was the boy who often bullied Shin Hye, he befriended with Park Hae Jin, a reporter from Seoul. Min Woo had a crush on Kim Ji Won, the town hottie who sadly was interested in Hae Jin. Shin Hye developed a crush on Hae Jin and confessed, but Hae Jin rejected. Park Shin Hye accepted the job to substitute Kim Hae Sook temporarily, even though the master, hated her at first, but through some event befriended her.  Shin Hye noticed that Jimseung can see ghosts as well as she could sense them. They investigated the ghost of his grandfather who committed suicide in that mansion. Hae Jin realised that he actually liked Shin Hye but disappointed when found out that Shin Hye lived in the mansion with Jimseung and appeared friendly. Hae Jin seemed to know Jimseung. Jimseung asked Shin Hye to go with him to the US for study, but because of Hae Jin and her father surgery, Shin Hye cancelled the plan. They went their separate ways. 4 Year slater, Shin Hye was a policewoman, her Captain is Park Sung Woong, and her mentor was Jung Kyung Ho a brilliant yet jaded inspector. Although she was the best graduate but she was belittled due to her gender, and small figure. She was now living with Kim Ji Won who was an aspiring model. Hae Jin is a well known reporter and still very close with Min Woo, a cameraman, and the ladies. Kang Ha Neul was a prosecutor that often interact with Shin Hye’s precinct. Kim Bum was the owner of modelling agency at which Ji Won was applying to. She hated him because he fooled her into believing that she could be a model when they first met four years ago. Lee Min Ho was the heir of Lotte Group that had been abroad for so many years and finally return to Seoul. His first assignment was to make sure that a new mall called “The Rose” was being constructed and opened in timely manner. Min Ho encountered very strong spirits and found a way to make Shin Hye disguised as a bodyguard so he could learn more about the spirits. Lee Min Jung was a potential candidate for Min Ho’s wife from his dad. Among other candidates she was the most interesting and captivated Min Ho’s interest. Min Ho, Kim Bum and Ha Neul had a get together where they reminisced the trip they had together to Louisiana years ago. The trip that they had different recollection and  something strange happened. Ha Neul believed that he could never be with any woman and chose to live alone while Kim Bum was a player who could not be with one woman.  Ji Won finally scored a place in Kim Bum’s agency. Min Ho and Shin Hye’s friendship grew as they trained together. The spirits came back and communicated with Min Ho through Shin Hye. 

—o0o—

“Are you good?” Shin Hye asked, standing up and hopped a few times to loosen up.

Min Ho shrugged, “I guess you just have to find out.” He smirked before standing in a stance. “Ready?”

“Yeah!” Shin Hye said breathlessly, she too was now standing in a stance.

They rounded the ring a couple of times before Shin Hye charged forward with a few punches and hooks. Several of them landed on his chest. He stumbled a few steps back, impressed by the strength she pulled. It was way stronger than he remembered.

“Not bad, Lieutenant.” He praised, getting a smirk from her. “I know you’re short, but aren’t you able to reach my face?” He teased.

“Wouldn’t want to get your pretty face bruised, Director!” She said in between panting.

Min Ho’s chest tightened, “Are you saying I’m pretty?” Joke aside, hearing her calling him pretty instead of a monster gave a tug at his heartstring.

A ting of pink flashed on her cheek that didn’t go unnoticed by him, “I’m just stating the fact brought by every magazine and gossip column of South Korea.”

Nice save!

“Didn’t know that the Police squad has so much time on their hands to read such a thing.” He teased again. “It’s okay if you think I’m—“

He didn’t get a chance to finish his sentence as a right hook landed on his cheek, causing him to spin and dropped to the floor. He needed a few seconds and a head shake before realizing that he was slouching on the floor. He looked up and saw a satisfied Shin Hye grinning devilishly.

“What was that?” He exclaimed.

Shin Hye raised her eyebrows, “You were saying?”

Min Ho stood up and slid out of the ring to go to the cupboard. Rummaging the inside of it, he took several items and walked back to the ring, both hands behind his back. Shin Hye observed his every move curiously.

When he stood back inside the ring in front of her, he threw a red rubbery thing to her. “It’s on! No holding backs!” He said while putting the red thing to his head.

Shin Hye noticed the helmet and chuckled, he didn’t want her to hold back on punching his face but she didn’t know whether he would hold back when retaliating. She hoped he didn’t though, none of his friends back in University held back and she was more than able to handle them.

“This should be fun!” She said while putting on her helmet.

And they turned out not holding back; punching, kicking and dodging each other’s attack with calculated move and strategy to take each other down. A combination of tae kwon do, ju do and full on street fighting was used without any rules.

Min Ho was down several times but Shin Hye was also in the receiving end of a few punches and kicks that made her stumble against the string. Laughter and mockery were occasionally heard when they trash-talked each other in between attacks.

After more than an hour, both were sweating and panting hard, a few bruises appeared already on their arms but they were still hyped as when they started. Shin Hye charged towards him with series of punches while Min Ho dodged each of them until he was cornered and couldn’t moved back.

Yet Shin Hye didn’t stop and kept throwing punches to him. In the midst of reacting, he caught her left hand with his right. Surprised, her right hand flew forward and caught again by his free hand. Holding both of her hands, he seemed surprise with his reflect yet did nothing to undo it.

Instead, he brought both hands up and tugged her towards him. Her hands crossed above her head as she was pulled awfully near him. Her eyes widened in shock at their proximity and the way his darkened eyes stared intensely into hers.

He let one of her wrist go from one of his hand only to capture it with his other. With one free hand, he snatched her head protector off, uncovering a very shocked yet intrigued beautiful face. He then pulled his own helmet, revealing a sweaty, curious yet intense look on the handsome feature.

The look was unfamiliar since this was the first time they were ever this close, and he never looked at her that way before. Yet there was something intriguing and flattering, that was causing her to freeze instead of freeing herself from the wrist-lock that would had been easy to do.

He had the most beautiful brown eyes she had every seen, which was oddly very familiar. It was bright and intense like someone she once knew, someone whose eyes she had privileged to gaze into. Yet the tall sharp nose and full lips were an upgrade, a feature that perfected the overall facade.

Suddenly she felt her heart beat stronger, alarming her for not expecting that the close proximity with that handsome face would do something like that. She couldn’t remember the last time a man affected her like that.

Her heart rate increased by the second, in an alarming acceleration that cause difficulties in breathing. She took several deep breaths in her attempt to calm herself down. Unfortunately instead of getting the result she wanted; it got worse, a strange cold suddenly crept up on the back of her neck.

Now she knew that whatever happened to her was not caused by the handsome man holding her wrists, smirking devilishly as if seducing her. Still being locked by him, all she could do was gazing left and right to find out the source of her condition. She could only pray that it wasn’t the ones she was dreading to encounter. 

She wanted to scream, to beg for him to let her wrists go. She didn’t want to have an episode in that room, in front of him. She couldn’t let anyone notice her condition, let alone him, the boss. But it was as if she was paralyzed, frozen in place while looking at him in panic, like a deer in a headlight. All the while he stared at her obliviously. 

His head leaned down towards her, making it even closer to hers. She mentally screamed hoping to get his attention and somehow saved her from the trance, but no words came out of , only steamed breath as the result of the cold that was enveloping her.

Their lips were now just mere centimeters, yet she only cared about how his line of vision was beyond her face now, it meant he wouldn’t notice what was happening to her. But she tried anyway, straining everything within her body to let any sign of plea to come out of her.

From her peripheral vision, she finally saw a movement of him tilting his head back up. The changes gave her a sliver of hope and miraculously she gained a bit of sense back on her arms.

She tugged her hands out of his grips, to no success. “I have to go.” Her voice finally cracked out of .

“No! Stay!” Min Ho instructed, to her annoyance, his eyes looked around like he was scanning the room.

“You don’t understand! I have to get out of here.” Her voice had gotten stronger now and grew impatient by the second.

“I got you! Don’t worry!” He said confidently, which irked her even more. How could he help her when he didn’t even know what was happening to her.

“Please! Please let me go!” Her voice shook, tears starting to fall from both eyes.

“Bare with me, just for a little while.” He pleaded, eyes still scanning the whole room for God knows what.

The room had gotten colder by now, the invisible hands crept along her back, reached her neck and was starting to strangle her, yet all she could do was standing there and live the horrific feeling. Panic her even more knowing the man in front of her obliviously refused to let her go to escape the horror.

A loud gasp suddenly escaped from her lips, as she felt the presence. Breathing was impossible like she was drowned into the depth of the ocean. When the thin air was no longer bearable, she convulsed before her whole body lost its strength.

“Shin Hye-ya!! What happened?” Min Ho shouted in panic, "This never happened before! What’s wrong?” One of his hand flew around her back, putting her in his cradle.

Her eyes, wide open in fear; face tensed as if withholding a certain weight, her heavy breathing was loud and ragged, “Please!” She breathed before her body went limp.

Her body was getting heavier, making him fall to his knees supporting both of them. “I’m sorry Shin Hye-ya! I need to do this, I’ll make it up to you! Please bear with me!” His voice cracked before he pressed his lips on her temple. It felt warm even in the brink of unconsciousness. 

Laying on his lap, Shin Hye’s gaze darted to his in a last effort to stay awake. A mysterious voice flew to her ear, a muffled sound of a girl and a boy in between static noise, yet she could clearly captured it. 

Her head involuntary nodded, not to him, but to them. “Please… Please help us!” She echoed their pleas.

Min Ho’s eyes widened and said something that was beyond her understanding. “What?! How! Tell me how I can help you!!”

Another tear left her eye, before she closed them and passed out in his craddle.

Bright lights began to irritate her eyelid as the spotlight above the ring illuminated right on the center of the square mattress, where she laid. Her eyes squinted and her head tilted sideways trying to make out where she was.

Min Ho sat straighter from his initial position, both arms folded and propped on the bended knees. A wave of relief washed over his expression as she slowly regained consciousness and opened her eyes.

The bright lights immediately attacked her line of vision, so she instinctively raised one of her forearm to cover it. Annoyed vision aside, she felt her breathing calm and heart beating at a soothing pace, a stark contrast from a few minutes ago.

Or maybe more, she couldn’t be sure.

But the thought had her jolted awake, remembering that she wasn’t alone when it happened. Her sudden movement made him jumped on his seat too.

“Shin Hye-shi! You’re awake!” He held both hands up to calm her. “Calm down, it’s just me.”

She snapped her head towards the voice and suddenly faced by a pair of big and kind brown eyes that were observing her with worry. Still drenched of sweat from the sparring which letting her know that not many minutes passed from when she lost consciousness.

“How long was I out?” She asked as she controlled her panic that caused by different reason than before she passed out.

“Maybe 10 minutes?!” He stared at the wall clock, contemplating. “I figured you’ll come around pretty quick, so I didn’t take you to your room. Thank God I was right. Are you okay, now? You scared me, you know that?” 

His deep voice suddenly rang different on her ears as it was filled with attentiveness. She looked up into his eyes again and suddenly choked up.

“Ye— yeah, sorry! I told you I had to go.” She looked away, suddenly too shy to face that brown eyes and handsome face.

“Here, drink some water. It’ll calm your nerves.” He handed her a water bottle which she received and downed all at once. “Easy there!” He chuckled lightly.

“Thanks, it really helped.” She said in gratitude, the water soothed her dry throat that she didn’t know she was having.

“What happened just now?” She heard him asked.

Shin Hye looked up again and met with the same worry face, only now mixed with curiosity. But it didn’t look like he was noticing anything strange, only innocent curiosity towards a girl who suddenly fainted in his embrace. 

“I— I guess I was tired, maybe I just overworked myself this past week.” She said as she lowered one of her palm and pushed herself off the mattress.

Min Ho followed suit and helped her to stand up, “Do you have asthma? If so, you need to be carrying your inhaler at all times, right?”

“No I don’t. Why do you ask?” Shin Hye looked up at him.

“Because you looked like you were having a hard time breathing before you fainted.” He questioned.

She averted her gaze elsewhere as she answered, “Really? Well that’s a first!” She lied. “Maybe I should go to the doctor to check whether I have asthma or not.”

Min Ho nodded slowly, “Right! Take a good care of yourself Lieutenant Park.” He paused before a mischievous smile spread on his face, “You know this is the second time you fell on my arms. Are you sure, you’re not trying seduce me?”

Shin Hye felt her cheek warmed up at the tease yet didn’t know how to respond, all she knew was that she needed to get out of the gym and out of his sight fast. So she gave him a tight-lipped smile before walked pass him.

“Thank you, and sorry again.” She mumbled while hurrying to get out of the ring only to be stopped by him.

His hand clutched her nearest arm, “You can talk to me about what happened, you know.” He said, attracting her attention once more. She looked back at him and saw something else on his worried face, like he was begging for something. “You can trust me.” He pleaded.

For a few seconds they stared at each other, words were almost came out of about what really happened before she fainted. 

But he was a stranger let alone a subject that she needed to protect. It’s impossible to share the most personal thing about her to him and showed him her weakness. 

So she withheld.

Her hand raised and down to his, she smiled as she pushed it from her arm. “I know, thank you. But I’m fine. Sorry we couldn’t resume our sparring. Rain check?” She said softly.

“Sure!” He smiled bitterly, “Get some rest, Lieutenant Park.” Min Ho greeted before she jumped off the ring and out of the gym, leaving him in his thoughts in the middle of the square mattress.

The room was now silent unlike a few minutes ago, although for anybody else the room was always silent, but for him it was stark contrast. Even without any sound from the spirits, his heart beat was loud enough in his ear as he observed them.

The dark aura that surrounded the boy and girl’s bodies conveyed their emotion. A strong anger and resentment towards the world and the need to be heard, to be remembered, to be found. 

The black holes that were supposed to be their eyes showed no emotions but he could still felt it. Their sadness and longings.

And then they said something, not directly but through her. It was unfortunate that she passed out before even more verbal information delivered, otherwise it would be easier to solve this mystery and get on with everybody’s life.

Min Ho reached into his gym short pocket and took out something. He opened his fist and revealed a worn out blue cloth, the same one that fell from the girl who just stood in front of him, many many years ago. 

Despite what her grandmother said, he kept it all this year. People may tell him that it was just superstition for thinking that the talisman protected him. But he didn’t care, he believed it, otherwise he would loose control every time spirits approaching.

His thumb caressed the old material, wondering whether it was time to give it back to the rightful owner, because right now she seemed to need it more than he did. His eyes moved to the door which just swung shut as the residue of her presence.

“Don’t worry Shin Hye-ya, I’ll solve this mystery and both you and I can carry on with our lives.”

His hand clutched the material tightly, his own thought caused an ache to his heart. Because as much as he wanted to get the spirits out of both of their lives but it’s also meant that his days with her was numbered.

“But still, it’s better than to live in fear of meeting them every second.” He whispered, which even he knew was a lie.

—o0o—

With the fall approaching, the general temperature in the Incheon area decreased but it was still hot in the port, especially when surrounded with shipping containers stacked higher than 10 meters. 

Even with a heavily tinted window of Hyundai i10, the heat still seeped through, and with the ‘no turning the ignition' rule during stake out, a piece of paper was the salvation for the two person on the front seats of the car.

The flapping sound of the papers dominated the cabin of the vehicle since both of them made use of the case file they brought for the stake out in a more useful way during the hot day. While one hand was busy fanning their faces, the others were busy with samgaks for lunch.

“Are you sure they’ll do the transaction, today?” Shin Hye said with mouth full of rice and seaweed wrap.

The man beside her mumbled something unintelligible, face fold like a stack of dirty laundry, Kyung Ho looked pissed, pisser than usual if that was possible.

She looked to her side, and pulled her lips into a thin line. “Sorry, Inspector.”

Kyung Ho stared back at her, brows drew even closer. “You’ve said that everyday for a week now, yet nothing’s changed!” The longer sentence was a surprise, apparently he was chattier when upset.

“I know, but what can I do, It’s what he wants.” She side eyed something behind her in the back seat.

“So WHAT if this is what he wants, he’s a civilian! How can he join a stake out?! Are you going to be responsible if he got shot!!” He protested.

Shin Hye shrugged, fear was all over her face. “Captain said, ‘okay’?” She reasoned timidly.

“Arrrgghh!!” Kyung Ho roared, “I really don’t understand what’s in his mind.”

“Give me another Samgak!!” A foreign arm reached out across the center console from the backseat and grabbed a samgak and banana milk from a plastic bag on Shin Hye’s seat.

The voice made the two policeman jolted and turned around reflexively, the man sitting on the back grinned mischievously as the two frowned.

“What? I’m hungry, and these Samgaks are the best. I can see why you guys prefer to do a stake out rather than being stuck in the station.” Min Ho said.

Shin Hye heaved a deep sigh, “Director Lee, until when are you going to tag along with us? Don’t you have work to do?”

“Nah, there’s nothing that Secretary Choi can’t do.” He replied while laying back on the backrest, opened the samgak and devoured of what seemed not the first serving. “And my Dad is out of the country for I don’t know how long, so I might as well take the opportunity to rest from work.”

“By following around two Detectives during field work with the risk of getting hurt?” Shin Hye skeptically asked, “Wouldn’t a week in the Maldives be a better choice?” She stared at him like he grew another head.

Min Ho shrugged, “Nope, I consider this as adrenaline vacation.” He chew-smirked, “Besides, I maybe able to help you guys!”

“No! No! No!” Kyung Ho exclaimed as Shin Hye shook her head vigorously. “You are never to leave this vehicle what ever happened. The only way you are helping us is to call back up when both of us injured NO unconscious or dead!” The last part made Shin Hye snapped her head towards her partner.

“I’m good at fighting, Inspector! Ask Shin Hye!” He looked at Shin Hye with an innocent face as if asking for directions.

Shin Hye’s mouth opened and closed yet nothing came out of it, a weak scoff was the only thing she was capable to do towards the ridiculous man. 

“I.Am.Not.risking my career for you!!” Kyung Ho stated, “I will NOT be held responsible if something were to happen to you.” He crumpled the samgak wrap inside his fist imagining it was the Director and his Captain at the same time.

Shin Hye cringed, knowing exactly what went through her partner’s mind. She then looked back at the man on the back seat, who was so tall that he was finding difficulties in comfortably sitting inside the small car. The sight had her smiling quietly.

“Why are you doing this anyway?” She finally asked the question she was dying to know for the whole week since the day Secretary Choi and Director arrived at the precinct and let them know that instead of her following him around, he was going to follow her anywhere.

“I told you, I need a change of scenery. Being Director is not as crank up as it looks like.” His innocent yet mischievous face was back. The answer was welcomed with a scoff from the Inspector. “Besides, isn’t this good for you? You said you hate being my bodyguard and can not wait to be back on the field, right? This way you get to do your job while still protecting me from the culprit.”

Now it was Shin Hye’s turn to gape, the answer was ridiculous yet surprisingly sweet. Which unfortunately also odd for Kyung Ho’s ear. His brows drawn closer, investigatively, at the two individuals. 

Fortunately a sound of metal door swung opened attracted his and Shin Hye’s attention. A large man with one arm full of tattoos came out of one of the shipping container. He looked to his right and seemed to be talking to someone which was hidde behind another container.

“It’s him!” Kyung Ho scream-whispered while opening his door. “Strap up!” He pulled a black vest from the back seat and put it on while running out of the car.

Shin Hye’s head turned to where Kyung Ho’s line of vision previously directed and hurriedly followed suit. “Stay here!!” She shouted towards Min Ho before opening the door and pulled out another vest.

“Wait! What’s happening?” Min Ho called yet both policemen where already out side of the car, running stealthy in between high stacked shipping containers like they were playing hide and seek.

After a series of low voice curses, he looked around the area and decided to get out of the stuffy vehicle; convinced he was alone since it was parked in the deserted  part of container yard.

The smell of salt water aded his sense when he opened the back door. It had been such a long time since he last saw the ocean, so even mixed with the smell of metal, the surrounding was a nice change from his boring busy corporate life.

Stretching his arms way above his head, Min Ho looked around for signs of Shin Hye and Kyung Ho. Sharpening his already sharp ears in the hopes to catch any sign of commotion as the raid may had already happened. 

Yet everything was quiet.

Until a click sound reverberated from the back of his head.

A large man wearing skin tight black t-shirt, leather pants and boots stood in front of an opened red shipping containers. In front of him were smaller men standing in two groups facing each other. Their voices were overpowered by the sound of the ocean and busy port but they all looked tensed.

Kyung Ho frowned at the unclear scenery, he wished to see the inside of the container yet his view was blocked. He may be able to see better if he went to wooden pallet area a few meters in front of him. 

So he tapped his partner, who was squating lowere and immediately looked up in the hope to get information about whatever was happening in front of him that she could not see.

Gesturing with two right fingers to follow him, he speed-tiptoed forward and stopped behind stacks of wooden pallet. The gap between the pallets enabled him and Shin Hye to get a clearer view of the activity.

The large tattooed man was now alone as the others went inside the container. Numerous large items were inside it, under the cover of beige tarp. 

“Is that it?” Shin Hye whispered, she pulled out her phone and took pictures of the activity.

“I think so, the sizes look similar to paintings and sculptures, let’s just hope its the one stolen from the museum in Italy 3 weeks ago.” He explained.

“What if they’re not?” Shin Hye asked, now she took picture of the bodyguard.

“It’s still illegal transaction, antiques black market. They are still doing something worth of a raid.” Kyung Ho narrowed his eyes as he noticed one of the man was grabbing the tarp, he held his breath when the tarp was teared down.

A large stone statue of a man appeared behind the thick cloth, a white-marbled form of a man representing a Greek God stark in front of the men. Shin Hye’s eyes went wide before the scene.

“How the hell did that get stolen?” She whispered, “That’s an awfully big statue!”

“It was during maintenance, they switched the statue with a knock off. I see enough, I’ll call for back-ups.” Kyung Ho said as he turned around and leaned his back to the pallet stack. 

As the inspector switched his focus elsewhere, Shin Hye switched position to get a better look of the people who were now approaching the statue and huddled in front of it. Her eyes narrowed in the effort of having clearer view.

“Oh My God! I don’t think that’s a statue from Italy, Inspector!” She scream-whispered.

Kyung Ho’s head snapped at the excited voice of her, “What are you talking about?”

“It’s drugs! They hid drugs inside it!” She said while excitingly pointed at the scene. Kyung Ho scooted nearer until he was shoulder to shoulder with her. “I believe that’s he’s tasting!”

His lips spread wider, wider than she’d ever seen. “I’ll be damned. Here, take this and tell me when they are 5 minutes away.” He gave the phone that was showing a live location of the back ups.

“They’re on the highway! 10 more minutes” she reported.

“Okay! Take position, we’ll start in five minutes. You should take down the smaller one, I’ll take the body—“ a pause attracted her attention, before shifting her eyes from the phone to the man beside her. “Oh !!” He cursed.

His stressed face made her stood up and peeked back to the scene, the view struck horror on her face. “Oh No!” She exclaimed, “What do we do now?”

Another large man, almost as large as the first bodyguard joined them. Someone they hadn’t seen before. But the thing in his hands were the more alarming ones. He was holding a gun in one hand and the right shoulder of a business tycoon on the other, the one that was supposed to be in a hiding car. Yet now was standing in the middle of a group who’s having a drugs transaction.

“This could go bad, he doesn’t even wearing any vest.” Kyung Ho’s voice shook. “What happened? Fu—k!!” His outburst made Shin Hye jumped and looked at the transaction spot, scared that his voice would attract attention.

“Should we go help him?” Shin Hye’s shook voice asked.

Kyung Ho’s irises darted left and right assessing the situation, he glanced to his phone before instructing, “Go, as near as you could to him. We have to stall as long as possible until back-ups arrive and meanwhile some how keeping him out of any incident. If you have any chance, get him away from there. I’ll find a way to distract them.”

Shin Hye didn’t like the plan, but she knew it was the only way to save the Director and the operation at the same time, so she just nodded firmly and whispered, “Deh!”

She was about to tiptoe to another stack of shipping container when she felt weight on her arm. Turning her head towards her senior, she saw worry all over his face, “Be careful!” His words caught her off guard, yet she nodded and hurriedly hunched and ran to take cover.

Whatever activity that was going on seem to be halted as the two parties were now observing the sophisticate gentleman in three pieces suit standing in front of them. His appearance and wardrobe seemed out of place in that deserted shipping yard.

Arrived to the back of a red containers, Shin Hye was able to catch a glimpse of Min Ho’s back. He was standing still, his left profile looked calm yet the strained on his neck and tensed jaw told her that he was anything but.

The port surrounding noise overpowered any conversation happening between them, but it was clear that the two parties were not happy with the unexpected guest. At some point one of the boss stepped closer to Min Ho and pointed a gun in front of his face, yet Min Ho remained unmoving and stoic like a statue inside the container. But the movement alerted Shin Hye instead, because it was never a good sign when guns were involved.

The black hollowed metal stared right in front of his eyes, threatening to vomit a hot iron to his head. He’d be lying if he said he stayed calm at the sight, instead his heart pounded on his ear, and he was close to piss himself. But he didn’t know what Kyung Ho and Shin Hye’s plan was and he didn’t want to be the reason for a failed operation. So Min Ho stayed quiet, since the first time he was caught until he was brought to the bosses.

“Tell me who you are!” The guy with the gun repeated the question, he looked borderline irritated by the stubborn man in suit.

“Is he a cop? Are you playing with us right now?” The other man, suspiciously observed both men while putting his hand inside his coat.

“What?! Don’t you see I’m asking him? His too suave to be a cop!” The man scowled and looked back at Min Ho, “You look familiar! Tell me who you are and what you’re doing here!” He yelled.

“You guys can be acting.” Now the other guy drew his own gun and pointed to the first guy.

Min Ho’s eyes widened a little in the effort of masquerading his nerve, the situation had gotten worse in the span of a minute and he was in the middle of it. Maybe his choice of staying silent was not the best idea, so he started to shake his head in the hope of lightening the situation.

Only to be worsen by someone screamed.

“Freeze!! Police!!” Followed with frantic movement by dozens of men wearing black and in bulletproof vests.

The chaos elevated at that point with people running around to flee or take cover. Gun shots echoed several times, people shouting at each other and at random directions made the situation claustrophobic even at the outside.

As a corporate man who was nowhere accustomed to the scene, Min Ho froze in place while the commotion happened. He wanted to move and hide, he knew he had to, but his feet just wouldn’t budge. 

Until the man with the gun noticed him again after a few minutes of confusion, his face turned red in anger and with a scowl, growled at Min Ho, “You are indeed a cop!! You’ll pay for this!” He shouted before the gun bursted especially loud on Min Ho’s ear.

His life flashed before his eyes as his fate was undoubtedly cut short once that bullet reached his heart. If this was a movie, the bullets would swished through the air in a slow-motion yet all he could do was standing wide-eyed for a few seconds that felt like hours.

Until something crashed him down and the next thing he knew he was laying on the ground. A loud grunt escaped his lips as the same weight was now on top of him. Pain slowly crept on his back, but the fact that he felt it meant that he was alive.

And nothing made him happier than that.

But the feeling was short-lived when he glanced down and saw what was on top of him. A beautiful face yet very pale with both eyelids tightly shut, the full weight on his torso told him that she was unconscious.

“Lt. Park!?” He croaked, “Gwenchanaseyo?” His politeness in tact as fear started creeping in. 

Was she his bullet shields?

“Park Shin Hye-shi!!!” He shook her body sloppily trying to draw any sign of life. “Irronna!!?” His speech turn banmal as panic increased.

When her arms dropped to her side lifeless, so did his heart.

“Shin Hye-ya!?” He screamed in denial. “Yaaa!!!”

The Jong No precinct was busier than usual, especially in the violence department which now had another task force coming. The narcotics department joined them since the last operation also involved drugs.

A double number of police officers plus a handful of rough looking men flooded the precinct at the same time, the normally busy police station was now like a seafood market. 

Police officers in uniform or in civilian travelled back and forth between the front door and the small holding cells. The sound of people cursing, mixed with angry shout from policemen interrogating people. The sound of metal banged in between computer keyboard clacking and just people generally talking to each other.

It was very overwhelming.

Especially for a civilian with a near death experience and a large bump behind his head. The surrounding noise blurred yet still loud in his ears. The freezing ice pack between his hand and skull was strikingly cold and his back felt like it was just hit by a truck. But luckily he was still sitting on one of the chair behind a desk that was oddly unoccupied.

On the outside he may looked calm, yet his heart thumped wildly inside his rib cage, it had been like that since before he arrived at the precinct. 

Way before.

It started when Shin Hye’s lifeless body screamed death at him. Unlike a few days ago when she passed out in his arms, with the knowledge that it was temporary; the thought that this time she might not wake up, tortured him.

A slight sting came across his eyes as the thought flashed again. They were nowhere as close as four years ago, she was not as affectionate as the teenage her. Hell! she didn’t even know who he was. But the thought of losing her struck a deep pain on his chest, so much he could hardly breath.

Especially when it happened because of him. Why did she do it? Why did she ran and blocked the bullet with her body? He didn’t even see her, where she hid during the raid, where she came from. She just came out of nowhere and protected him.

Shouldn’t it be the other way around?

A tear escaped one of his eyes as he ducked his body and supported it with his elbow against one knee, while the other hand still clutching the ice pack, so tight it almost numb from the cold.

“Sir! Are you okay? Do you need a pain killer?” Secretary Choi bent a little to ensure his boss heard what he had to say.

Min Ho’s only sign of life was the slight shake of his head.

“Please be patient, the police still needs your statement before we could get out of here. I’m sure you’re tired from all of this event but it won’t be long. I’ll see what I can do to speed up…” Secretary Choi’s voice laced with concern as he looked around for an idle detective.

“Just let them be…” a soft voice came from under him.

Secretary Choi stunned at the weak voice that was supposedly came from a big man, “Deh!?” He ensured but his breath hitched as his boss sat upright and looked him in the eye with bloody red and glossed eyes.

“I said just let them be. I’ll just wait for my turn.” His voice was full of regret, “My patience and fatigue is not important.” Though Min Ho murmured for himself but apparently his words reached the Secretary as he gave a tight lipped smile that didn’t reach his eyes.

Another commotion occurred at the front door of the room, a few handcuffed men struggling from the polices’ grab entered the room in a line. Kyung Ho trailed behind the entourage while in serious discussion with another detective, black vest in one of his fist.

The entourage dispersed to different directions mostly to the holding cell, at one of the corner of the Violence Department, where the 3x3m room located that was now cramped with people that looked far from happy. 

Kyung Ho nodded his head and shook hands with the other detective before he looked up and met Min Ho’s eyes across the room.

A loud bang echoed throughout the already noisy room, followed by clanking sound of metal chair shoved roughly as Kyung Ho strode with determined eyes towards Min Ho. The murderous glare had Min Ho alarmed, he stood up abruptly and caused another commotion when his chair fell to the floor.

“You!” Kyung Ho’s voice boomed and silenced the whole room as every pair of eyes locked on and followed his movement.

In a moment of rarity, Min Ho stumbled a few steps back, knowing that the hatred in the Inspector’s eyes were rightfully directed to him. Secretary Choi stunned for a few beats before rushing to protect his boss.

But he lost a few steps when Kyung Ho reached Min Ho’s collar first and pulled his free arm in preparation for his fist to swing at Min Ho’s jaw. At that movement, almost every detective in the room marched to his direction to avoid any incident that would put the organization to shame; while Min Ho clutched his eyes shut, knowing he deserved the punch.

“Stop!” A small hand palmed the fist before it landed on Min Ho’s jaw, while another hand touched Kyung Ho's shoulder. “Inspector don’t do this! You’ll get into trouble.” A soft voice silenced the room.

Kyung Ho halted his arm, his chest rose and fell as his breath ragged in anger. Min Ho slightly opened his eyes and once again saw Shin Hye in front of him, in between the two towering men, and once again protecting him, this time from Kyung Ho’s rage.

“You’re lucky that had a terrible aim.” Kyung Ho’s stoic voice sounded like thunder in silence, he turned his gaze to Shin Hye and softened a little, yet the threatening voice he directed to her did not calm anybody, “You’re lucky he aimed for his heart and not his head! Do you know that!?” He shouted.

“I know! I know!” Shin Hye quivered after jumping a little.

“I'm warning you!” Kyung Ho turned back to Min Ho whose gaze now directed to the floor, “If you ever endangered her again, I’ll kill you myself!” His last words surprised not only Min Ho and Shin Hye but everybody in the room.

After shooting another glare to Min Ho, Kyung Ho roughly released the collar with a shove before making way out of the room. As the tension decrease, the activity in the room resumed while the other three people directly involved with the incident released a breath of relief.

“I never saw Inspector Jung that angry, we should ap—“ Secretary Choi’s words cut off when a ring sounded from his coat, “I’m sorry, Sir. I have to take this.” Without awaiting for Min Ho’s response, he strode outside of the room.

Left in the busy room, Min Ho finally able to see the girl who put him to shame twice. His selfishness and stubbornness to solve the ghost mystery had cause trouble and endangered her life twice. At the gym and today at the port. Yet she selflessly protected him, literally with her body.

That made him feel like an . Maybe he should just quit.

Kyung Ho would probably jumped in joy agreeing to it. 

Yet there she was, sitting on her desk with visible bruise on her face, massaging her collarbone like she was just in another overtime administration work. Not a trace of anger, hate or belittling oozed from that small feature.

Her sincerity put him to another shame. While he selfishly tried to save himself, she was saving a stranger. Someone she barely knew, yet actually someone she knew a lot. Now he wished that she knew who he was, so he could thank her appropriately. 

Possibly with deep kiss into that luscious lips— Min Ho’s eyes widened at the thought.

After a shook on his head, he cleared his throat. “Are you okay?” He stepped towards and sat in front of her.

“Just a little sore, nothing serious.” She smiled weakly.

Somehow ‘nothing serious’ didn’t sit right for him. “Thank you.” He carefully said, “You saved my life.”

Shin Hye looked up, the tired eyes flashed a surprise before it was gone. “Don’t mention it. I’m a cop, it’s my duty to protect innocent citizen.” She half-joked.

A smile rose from his lips, “So you’ll jump in front of bullet for anybody?”

Shin Hye contemplated for awhile before shrugging her shoulders, “Probably. I mean every cop would do it, right?”

“There were dozens of cops there, only one flung her body on me to shield me from a bullet. Do you even realize you’re wearing a vest at that time?” Min Ho’s brows drew nearer at the thought she wasn’t wearing one.

“I don’t know what I was thinking. I just reacted, you know? Inspector told me to keep an eye on you and somehow get you out of the situation. So that’s why…” she trailed off.

Min Ho’s eyebrows now raised, “He did?” He turned to the front door, where Kyung Ho’s back was last seen. “Speaking of Inspector Jung. I should say sorry to him, I was just stretching my legs when that guy appeared behind me and cocked his gun at me.” He pointed to a bald, full arm-tattooed man on the other desk.

Shin Hye nodded her head in interest.

“But also, does he like you?” Min Ho blurted even before it registered on his mind. His eyes widened in surprise but his tongue had other ideas when he continued. “He seemed to be very protective of you.

“What? No!” Shin Hye nervously chuckled, “He’s a good mentor and partner. He was just looking out for me.”

“Bu—“ Min Ho didn’t have the chance to finish his argument as another tall man approached them.

“Lt. Park, what are you still doing here? I told you to take the day off!” Captain Sung Woong chimed in. 

Shin Hye stood up abruptly and shook her head, “No, its okay Captain. I don’t need a day off.”

Sung Woong frowned, “Are you sure?” He said in a loud staccato voice, “Because Inspector Jung just left the building even though he’s not the one with near-death experience!” 

Min Ho’s head snapped right and left at the banter and scoffed softly at the information. While Shin Hye just nodded her head vigorously.

“Well then, instead of handling the interview, why don’t you bring the reports to the prosecution office.” Captain pointed to one of the table full of yellow folders on it, “You can go home afterwards.”

Shin Hye nodded and made way to that table, her slumped back and tired eyes did not go unnoticed to Min Ho. She looked terrible, like she hadn’t sleep for days and bearing all the problems of the world. 

“Do.. you need help?” He blurted.

She stared at him for a few seconds before a warm smile appeared, “No, it’s okay. I can manage. I just have to take these folders to the prosecution office.” She turned to the stack of folders and checked them one by one, “As a matter of fact to your friend, Prosecutor Kang!” 

Min Ho stepped towards her carefully as if afraid he wasn’t allowed to do so, “What’s that?” He said softly.

Shin Hye frowned at something on top of the stack and stilled before answering, “These are the folders for cases that are declared conclusive by the PD and thus forwarded to prosecution office for trial— why is this here?” Her annoyed tone caught Min Ho’s attention.

“Captain? Why is this here, I think this case is not conclusive yet!” Shin Hye raised her voice and stopped Sung Woong’s track back to his office.

Turning around, he looked like he cursed the fact that Shin Hye found the folders. “It’s been months, Lieutenant. The messages are still coming from the daughter, there’s no proof that there has been any crime happened. Are you suggesting murder conviction without bodies?” 

Shin Hye’s mouth opened and closed several times, while Min Ho stared in interest. Park Sung Woong shifted his body weight waiting for an answer from his subordinate as Secretary Choi returned and passed the front door hurriedly.

“Sir, we have to go now.” He said in rushing tone, “I’ve managed to get exemption for you to give statement after everybody else. We need to go back to the office now.” 

Min Ho's raised palm silenced the Secretary, as he was fixated to the two detectives discussing a case that may lead to his interest.

“But I have a feeling that they’re not running away, why would someone running away send messages to the people who they ran way from?” Shin Hye argued.

“I told you to give me evidence however small it is to proof that theory, but it’s been months, we have tonnes of new cases everyday. Enough is enough!” Sung Woong turned his back against them.

Secretary Choi glanced at his watched and decided to man-handled his boss, because apparently the reason of going back to the office was on a life-and-death level. 

“Sir, we really need to go now!” He grabbed Min Ho’s arm and tugged him towards the front door. 

After a bit of resistance, Min Ho finally relented and followed his Secretary’s lead. Saying goodbye to the girl who saved him was not a choice since she was still in her argumentative stance and ready to fire back at her boss. So he just followed Secretary Choi quietly.

“Like I said, those students are popular and/or outstanding students. There’s no way they would run away together just to get married and then send messages to the opposed parents!” She shouted while trailing behind her boss.

Her voice was the last thing in Min Ho’s ear before the Captain’s door banged shut and his arm being grabbed and pulled forcefully out of the Violence Department Section.

A pair of students, ran away, opposed families, murder conviction without bodies.

“Could it be? Is that the lead I was looking for this past month?” Min Ho thought as he changed his dirty suit into a fresh and crisp one.

He knew he needed to be hurry, Secretary Choi said that probably more than 10 times on the way back to the house from the precinct. While he didn’t know why, the fact that that man was flustered was enough indication that he really needed to be hurry.

So in just about 10 minutes, Min Ho was already in a three-piece black and white suit, hair combed slickly back and all traces of bruise covered. It was as if he was back from a day of spa instead of a narcotics raid.

Stepping out of his room, Min Ho is welcomed by Secretary Choi who directly explained everything that he needed to explain, but Min Ho just strutted along the hallway to the foyer absentmindedly, since his mind was only on one thing.

Not until he stepped the last step of his mansion’s terrace that he caught something from Secretary Choi. “My Dad is going to be in the meeting? He’s in the country?” He looked back at the Secretary that looked shocked now too.

“Y.. Yes, Sir. I told you that on the way back home.” The fact that the boss didn’t listen to him was more shocking than the sudden press conference.

“Press conference? What press conference?” Min Ho’s voice raised as his gaze sharpened. “Why didn’t anybody tell me that?”

“Ah! I was just been informed when we were at the police station. My order was just to prepare you for a press-conference-appropriate appearance. Luckily the news about you being in the raid hasn’t been found by the press yet—“

“So what does the old man wants? What is this press conference is all about?” Min Ho impatiently cut Sec. Choi off.

The man shook his head, “I don’t know Sir. Chairman said you’ll find out once you arrive at the office, which supposedly 15 minutes from now.” He said after glancing again to his watch.

After heaving a deep sigh, Min Ho relented with a nod and strode towards the Mercedes S-class waiting for him. The door of the front passenger seat opened and revealed a slick Kyung Ho stepping down and opened the door for him. The sight stunned Min Ho.

“What are you doing here?” He asked once he was face to face with the detective. “I thought you left the precinct?”

“To change clothes for my shift.” Kyung Ho’s expression was flat, at least beyond his sunglasses.

“I didn’t think you’d still come for your shift, after —“ Min Ho trailed off

Emotionless, Kyung Ho shrugged, “A job is a job.”

The cold reaction was not unusual for the detective, but knowing he made a mistake made Min Ho felt awkward and guilty. So with a nervous throat-bobbed he started, “I.. I’m sorry —“

“Sir, we really need to go.” Secretary Choi begged.

Irritation rose inside Min Ho since both of his supposedly subordinates did nothing he wanted them to do. With one last glance to the cold man, he slid into the car and heaved an irritated sigh as the door closed on him.

The ride to the office was full of questions in his clouded mind. Between the new revelation regarding Shin Hye’s case and the secret press conference his father held, he felt overwhelmed so once again tuned everything out including Secretary Choi’s non stop gibberish beside him.

Once they arrived, he was ushered to the top floor where the biggest conference room located. To avoid meeting anyone from the media, he was directed through the back door and service elevator straight to the back stage of the room.

The dark alley of the backstage was crowded with people he didn’t recognize yet didn’t care to find out. He was still in his thought until he was told to wait at one corner with none other, Jung Kyung Ho.

Suddenly he felt his surrounding closing in on him as another apology slipping out of his mouth. “Look Inspector, I know I did wrong this morning. I never intended to jeopardize your operation, or Shin Hye —“ he rambled.

“Its Lieutenant Park Shin Hye!” Kyung Ho warned, his jaded eyes looked bored but there was a threat underlying his tone.

“I have no intention to put Lt. Park in danger” Min Ho uncharacteristically obliged, “I am grateful that she saved me and sorry towards you. I hope the arrangement of me tagging with you both are still okay.” Min Ho continued, “Because I need to solve my own problem, fast.” He thought.

Kyung Ho frowned, “What is it for you? Why are you so adamant in following us? Or should I say Lt. Park?”

Min Ho paled at the accusation, “I— I felt save with you two. Especially since today, I would trust my life with Lt. Park… and you of course.” He half-lied.

Kyung Ho’s tired face looked more tired as he furrowed, “Lt. Park is a detective, and a potentially good one. She’s not some kind of paid bodyguards and she is certainly too good to be your personal bodyguard.”

The words gave mixed feelings to Min Ho, on one hand it gave him a sense of pride that Shin Hye was acknowledged as a good detective, which he agreed, yet being too good for him meant that he lost any chances. 

Not that he even wanted it.

 “So tell me!” Kyung Ho’s eyes narrowed in suspicion, “What’s your real motive? What’s with this fake task force? Do you..?” He swallowed, “Have a certain feeling towards Lt. Park?”

The faint glint of jealousy caught by Min Ho as it flashed on Kyung Ho’s eyes. This had him stoo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter